The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 21 April 2016, 11:33 PM   #31
tylerad1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
That there is a royal screw. I too get it that everyone needs to make money and that they are no exception. And when they said $1900 I assumed that they would get it at that, spend a few bucks to get it perfect and re-sell at $3000 like the ones on their site for sale. In at about $2100-$2200, sell for $2900-$3000, that is a good margin, 40%. I was in management in the car business and retail management for years so I understand fully the buy at wholesale sell at retail concept but sheesh.

Bob's did say it was still running right about Rolex standards. Not sure if it was the +/-2 or the old standard but I will find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its running to Rolex standards, why did they claim it needed a regulation? Just another way they're scamming you hoping you wont notice
tylerad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 11:34 PM   #32
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidmind View Post
Bob is very rich from selling Rolex, he doesn't get that way from paying top dollar. :)

/Owners name is not really Bob, his real name is Paul, go figure.
He seems to have an acct. here on TRF. Member name Paul at Bobs Watches, location states Huntington Beach....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 11:39 PM   #33
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
"I'm shocked, shocked to find out there's gambling going on in here" – – Bob's has never been and never held themselves out to be a retail buyer. That's obvious from their website. I've had a great buy – side transaction from Bob's on a 1960s 1601 with box and papers.

I didn't take $1900 as a retail offer. The looking around I did had a similar watch in this condition with a mostly complete set in the $3000 range on the other reputable sites. So at $1900 that gave them some room to recondition and make money. Like I said in an earlier post, I expect them to make money.

My issue was that they had the information on the watch and hi res pictures before they made an offer. Their website actually says $2000 for this model bit because I didn't have the warranty paper they said $1900. I was ok with that. As soon as they get the watch they try to hit me $475 below that for reconditioning that should be built into their offer.

It appears that by the responses I am not alone.

If they want to make low ball offers and people just say no, that is fine. But to make an offer and then try to lowball someone once you have their merchandise is different in my opinion. If they come back and said it needed a service and they needed to reduce the offer by a little bit, ok, but this watch is not in need of $475 of repairs.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 11:41 PM   #34
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
He seems to have an acct. here on TRF. Member name Paul at Bobs Watches, location states Huntington Beach....

I thought they had an account here. And their phone number comes up as Brea, CA in believe.

I will work it out with them one way or another. I just wanted to know if others here had a similar experience there.

Old 21 April 2016, 11:47 PM   #35
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Bob's Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerad1 View Post
If its running to Rolex standards, why did they claim it needed a regulation? Just another way they're scamming you hoping you wont notice

Not sure. The sales gal asked if I knew the last time it was serviced. I told her it was an independent that did it and it was about 2010 or so. She said that according to their testing it seemed to be running right at or maybe just outside of Rolex standard but that was likely because the watch is never wound and worn. And my last recollection of her actually wearing the watch for a day or two I set it according to the time.gov site and it was a few seconds fast after a couple days. Not scientific by any stretch but after pretty much sitting for 5+ years I did think to check it.

Edit: she was very complimentary of the watch and its condition. Crystal is perfect, case has just very light scratches no dents/dings etc. and made timekeeping sound like no big deal and likely just due to a lack of use. I had this on my first DJ. Brand new it seemed to be a tick out of standard. Was told to wear it for a few weeks. It fell right back into line and was perfect after that.

Old 22 April 2016, 01:54 AM   #36
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Too little in the end, sell it yourself

Old 22 April 2016, 01:58 AM   #37
Comacho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 168000
IMO... they should assume that EVERY watch they buy needs service and they should just build that into the prices that they offer. Then if one comes in that doesn't need it, no harm, no foul, more money for them. Pretty crummy way to do business if you ask me.

I was toy'ing with the idea of trading a mid 80's sub towards something different and inquired about trade value.

it was laugh out loud funny...
Comacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 02:28 AM   #38
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
you are basically selling to an online pawn shop. the bait and switch is wrong but its not surprising. of course they mark up what they sell. so does anyone who will buy your watch.

i am not on anyone's side but some of the posts here are a little bit funny. pawn shop buys jewelry from you to resell for a much higher price. why this is shocking to anyone is beyond me.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 02:49 AM   #39
Librarywilliam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars,IWC,Smurf
Predator and prey
Dont do it!
put it away till your young one gets life lessons on her own
Librarywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 02:54 AM   #40
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
you are basically selling to an online pawn shop. the bait and switch is wrong but its not surprising. of course they mark up what they sell. so does anyone who will buy your watch.

i am not on anyone's side but some of the posts here are a little bit funny. pawn shop buys jewelry from you to resell for a much higher price. why this is shocking to anyone is beyond me.
That's not the point. He was quoted $1900, they get the watch and say $1450. They lied that's the problem, not them making a buck. Now if they said the $1900 was pending an inspection, that may be different.
Old 22 April 2016, 02:59 AM   #41
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's not the point. He was quoted $1900, they get the watch and say $1450. They lied that's the problem, not them making a buck. Now if they said the $1900 was pending an inspection, that may be different.
"the bait and switch is wrong but its not surprising."

a simple search on the website reveals:

"3. ACCEPTANCE OF PROPERTY; CONDITION OF ITEMS

Bob's Watches only accepts clean items in very good to excellent condition. Upon receipt, Bob's Watches will evaluate the Property to determine its authenticity and quality. Condition issues may affect the value of the item. Items of Property that do not meet Bob's Watches authenticity or quality standards, or are not included in the Designer Directory (see Bob's Watches website at bobswatches.com for currently accepted Property), will not be accepted and will be returned to Consignor at Consignor’s expense (see "Return of Property" below)."

https://www.bobswatches.com/consignor-terms

they didnt lie, he didnt read. let's get the facts straight next time.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 April 2016, 03:03 AM   #42
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, you can use the shift key.... No wait that's a cut and paste from their website. I guess you'll have to ask the OP what the exact specifications were.
Old 22 April 2016, 03:08 AM   #43
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, you can use the shift key.... No wait that's a cut and paste from their website. I guess you'll have to ask the OP what the exact specifications were.
he will be lucky if they cover the cost of shipping. the terms are pretty clear and most likely if he signed anything the terms were similar.

now that said they probably didnt tell him that 95% of initial price quotes are lowered upon evaluation by their so called "experts."

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 April 2016, 03:58 AM   #44
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Bob's Watches

Quote:

To be clear they always use some sort of "pending inspection" language so that someone cannot send them some turd and lie about what they are sending. It is their out. None of it is binding until they see the watch. I get that. But this watch is not in need of $475 worth of reconditioning to be resold as very fine used condition.

I fully expected they were going to inspect the watch. But the huge haircut is a little frustrating to me.

And online pawn shop is exactly how I would describe this business.

Their end goal is to buy at 50% of what they think they can sell for. It is like a high end game of Pawn Stars.

Lesson learned.

To be 100% transparent here is their offer email.

Old 22 April 2016, 05:31 AM   #45
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
"I'm shocked, shocked to find out there's gambling going on in here" – – Bob's has never been and never held themselves out to be a retail buyer. That's obvious from their website. I've had a great buy – side transaction from Bob's on a 1960s 1601 with box and papers.
It is not about being a "retail buyer". The OP was fine with accepting $1900 for this watch. The issue is this bait and switch game they continuously play in order to get a further reduction on an already agreed upon price.

It would be one thing if they received the watch and the movement was damaged or the watch was simply not as described. A missing link, regulation, and light polish is obviously reaching here for anyone who knows a thing or two about watches. Honestly, it a kind of con played on rubes, for lack of a better word, who have no knowledge about a watch besides its ability to keep time.
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 07:02 AM   #46
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidmind View Post
Bob is very rich from selling Rolex, he doesn't get that way from paying top dollar. :)

/Owners name is not really Bob, his real name is Paul, go figure.
Yeah, Paul Altieri has a multi-million dollar vintage watch collection including a rare Submariner from Cuba and a Paul Newman Daytona. He is making a very lucrative living from his buy low-sell high business M.O.

If prospective sellers did a little more homework on this business and their ways, they would avoid this online pawn shop like the plague, JMO

Last edited by Sublover2166; 22 April 2016 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Addendum
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 07:09 AM   #47
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Yeah, Paul Altieri has a multi-million dollar vintage watch collection including a rare Submariner from Cuba and a Paul Newman Daytona. He is making a very lucrative living from his buy low-sell high business M.O.

As the lullaby my wife's grandfather used to sing to our children goes, "buy low........sell high". It is the root of profitable business and the secret to success in the stock market. He used to say it was a Chinese proverb, but I have never confirmed that. 😀

But reputation has value well beyond profits.

Old 22 April 2016, 08:18 AM   #48
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
As the lullaby my wife's grandfather used to sing to our children goes, "buy low........sell high". It is the root of profitable business and the secret to success in the stock market. He used to say it was a Chinese proverb, but I have never confirmed that. 😀

But reputation has value well beyond profits.

Agreed. The change the rules as you play game they did to th OP is just low down and shameful. Trusted sellers here on the forum will go the distance to make sure their customers are happy with the transaction. One bad review here could mean the end of their livelihood.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 08:36 AM   #49
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Agreed. The change the rules as you play game they did to th OP is just low down and shameful. Trusted sellers here on the forum will go the distance to make sure their customers are happy with the transaction. One bad review here could mean the end of their livelihood.

I am the OP and I posted their original bid email a few posts ago. It was actually $2000 but I was told right up front that since I did not have the original warranty papers I was going to take a $100 hit right up front. Not sure what bearing that has on a watch that is 15 years old other than they cannot say "box and papers"??? I was told this was the maximum. And I fully expected them to find something they would need to do to make it top shelf merchandise. I did not realize it was missing a link and still am not sure it is.

I bought this from the original owner in about 2010 I think it was. It still had most all of the stickers on it. His wife never wore it. So he traded to a jewelry store owner friend of mine owns, using a bid I gave him and I purchased the same day. Is it possible he had a link taken out that I did not get, sure. But a link is about $25. A very light polish, maybe $75? And the watch keeps fine time. But to regulate if necessary, $100??? Not sure. But that is $200 not almost $500.

Had they said they would wire me $1700 or $1750 yesterday this is done and the money is in my account. It's easy and there is no drama with a potential dishonest buyer.

Old 22 April 2016, 10:04 AM   #50
shawnmarz
2024 Pledge Member

What are you asking for. I'd buy it
shawnmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 10:20 AM   #51
shawndww
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 6542
Did you go back to them at 1750 or higher after there attempt to discount? You mentioned that you would settle for that? The site says "we will work with you to get your price" or was the counter offer from them firm?

As for pawn shops references, I assure you members here have offered me less than pawn shop rates.
shawndww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 11:33 AM   #52
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
Unfortunately, I have heard of similar instances. A reasonable adjustment is expected but this appears to be the MO of Bob's.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 12:01 PM   #53
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndww View Post
Did you go back to them at 1750 or higher after there attempt to discount? You mentioned that you would settle for that? The site says "we will work with you to get your price" or was the counter offer from them firm?

As for pawn shops references, I assure you members here have offered me less than pawn shop rates.

I emailed them back last night, twice. Once saying That their offer is not going to work and once after that to say to just send my watch back today and provide tracking. I figured with aggressive as they were to get me to send it they would be calling me today to try to salvage a deal.

No calls, no returned emails.

I received one offer from them. $1425. I said no, that will not work let me talk to a couple people and I would call or email her back. I never made them a counter offer. The more I started to think about it more angry I got. And sent the second email just asking for the watch back.

I am not worried, I will get my watch back. And at this point that is all that I want.

I will decide from there what I want to do.

I will likely sell it. I will send the couple people in this thread that have been interested pictures and give them a chance and if not will throw it in the classifieds.

Old 22 April 2016, 12:03 PM   #54
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monbk View Post
a trick they play over and over again.

+1

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 12:07 PM   #55
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmarz View Post
What are you asking for. I'd buy it

Let me get it back and I will let the few folks that have asked have a chance before I put it in the classifieds. I wanted as close to the $2000 as they offered. 😁. I obviously would take a little less but I thought that offer was fair.

Old 23 April 2016, 01:58 AM   #56
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
If bobs watches bid on your item at auction I am sure they would pay every cent of the legally binding bid. When they send an offer by email. It says "up to" that amount pretty clearly. I would expect to have most watches to come in below that highest offer.

I am shocked at the accusation of bait and switch provided their quotes including the one you had provided says "up to" right before the offer. the up to means what bob has offered is not a bait and switch. I would expect every non complete watch to be about $500 less than their maximum.

They aren't backing off a bid. They are giving you a hard offer upon inspection of the watch. I would sell it and move on and know they are going to put the cash in you account asap. i would guess on the watches I own I would get 1000-2000 more than bobs pays on ebay. But there is more risk imo and ebay and perhaps paypal fees.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2016, 02:15 AM   #57
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
If bobs watches bid on your item at auction I am sure they would pay every cent of the legally binding bid. When they send an offer by email. It says "up to" that amount pretty clearly. I would expect to have most watches to come in below that highest offer.

I am shocked at the accusation of bait and switch provided their quotes including the one you had provided says "up to" right before the offer. the up to means what bob has offered is not a bait and switch. I would expect every non complete watch to be about $500 less than their maximum.

They aren't backing off a bid. They are giving you a hard offer upon inspection of the watch. I would sell it and move on and know they are going to put the cash in you account asap. i would guess on the watches I own I would get 1000 more than bobs pays on ebay. But there is more risk imo and ebay and perhaps paypal fees.

You are 100% correct. It does say "up to". I did expect that they would find something needed to make it perfect.

Their overinflated estimate of the reconditioning is what has me not happy. And they will either improve their offer or we will agree to disagree on that and they will send my watch back. I left my salesperson a voicemail this morning that clearly stated what my expectations were. If they cannot get to my minimum number I asked they ship the watch back today as we had agreed upon before I ever sent the watch in.

They are in a catch 22. If they figured a small amount of reconditioning into every watch they may never get anyone to send them watches to buy. On the other hand to figure no reconditioning is a little silly in my opinion.

Old 23 April 2016, 03:47 AM   #58
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post

They aren't backing off a bid. They are giving you a hard offer upon inspection of the watch. I would sell it and move on and know they are going to put the cash in you account asap. i would guess on the watches I own I would get 1000-2000 more than bobs pays on ebay. But there is more risk imo and ebay and perhaps paypal fees.

How about we ask for someone who has sold to Bobs Watches where they paid every last cent of their "up to" offer to chime in here

Anyone
Old 24 April 2016, 12:54 AM   #59
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
How many people are going to sell perfect watches?

I am saying they aren't perfect but they are trustable and that trust is worth something.

That security that your watch won't be fake or have fake parts, the security that you can sell it to them and get real money without issue quickly is helpful for liquidity.

Is it worth the 2k hit versus selling privately or the slightly more expensive purchase? That is up to you.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2016, 01:26 AM   #60
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
How about we ask for someone who has sold to Bobs Watches where they paid every last cent of their "up to" offer to chime in here

Anyone
I considered selling a watch to Bob's once, but their "up to" offer wasn't what I needed and I moved on. I felt they were low balling me.

I did buy a 6539 and a 1601 from them. Their price was about 10% higher than I might have paid on TRF, but they take credit cards (wire transfers are hard from here), don't sell fakes, and have prompt delivery.

They do honor their 1 year warranty without any hassles. They replaced a main spring and paid shipping registered mail both directions on the 1601.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote