The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2021, 01:22 AM   #1
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
Omega SMP 300M Blue - AD vs Grey?

Looking to pickup my first Omega, the SMP 300M diver in blue. Retail is $5,200.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...21030422003001

Not overly familiar with purchasing Omega watches and potential discounts at dealers, so debating whether to purchase via an AD or via grey. I'm okay going grey if the price point difference is worth it.

Looking for some input as to what are normal AD discounts in the US on this watch? Can I expect a discount of 10%, 20%, 30%, more or less?

If I go grey, looks like I can get a pretty deep discount for a BNIB via Jomashop (as an example). Ebay via Jomashop is even cheaper, with the additional 10% off for Father's Day. Getting this watch for $3450 before tax via Ebay Jomashop seems like a killer deal even without manufacture warranty.
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 02:42 AM   #2
Gixnic
"TRF" Member

The warranty is very important to me, which is why I bought my two Omegas from my local AD. I got a 25% discount on both Omegas and I think depending on where you are located, you should get a similar discount.
Gixnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 03:05 AM   #3
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixnic View Post
The warranty is very important to me, which is why I bought my two Omegas from my local AD. I got a 25% discount on both Omegas and I think depending on where you are located, you should get a similar discount.
Thank you! I've bought all my watches via ADs, so generally tend to agree. With that said, I've never had an issue within the warranty periods for any of them.

For me, I've followed Omega...but this will be my first Omega purchase. If the difference is small, I may go AD. If large enough difference ($750+), I may shift to grey for this piece.

Turns out, I called my local AD...and they have one in stock. I plan to stop by tonight to try it on and see what discount may be available.

Note: It is weird calling the local AD and having them confirm the watch is in stock. I'm so used to the Rolex side..where nothing is ever in stock...especially for SS pieces. A nice change for Omega!
Old 16 June 2021, 03:14 AM   #4
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I have the same watch, I absolutely love it. I purchased mine new from a AD. $4995 OTD on a bracelet + the Omega blue rubber strap included.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 03:22 AM   #5
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I have the same watch, I absolutely love it. I purchased mine new from a AD. $4995 OTD on a bracelet + the Omega blue rubber strap included.
Thanks for sharing. I'm excited. It'll be my blue summer watch.

I plan to purchase with the bracelet and add the Omega blue rubber strap, as you did! It's awesome looking with the blue strap. But, I have to have a bracelet also.

Did you go with the Omega blue rubber strap with buckle or the deployant clasp?
Old 16 June 2021, 05:23 AM   #6
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedersenkl View Post
Thanks for sharing. I'm excited. It'll be my blue summer watch.

I plan to purchase with the bracelet and add the Omega blue rubber strap, as you did! It's awesome looking with the blue strap. But, I have to have a bracelet also.

Did you go with the Omega blue rubber strap with buckle or the deployant clasp?
I have the one with a buckle. Getting the Bracelet off was a Bi@#h as the tolerances are so tight. But with some good advise from Trippinjimmy and others, I got it done. Eventually I purchased some nice spring bar pliers. Piece of cake now. I also added the blue leather band as well. Will attach pic in a bit. The Blue dial is Soooo nice though, I'm sure you will love it.
Old 16 June 2021, 05:29 AM   #7
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Pedersenkl; here is a couple of pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210615_152536.jpg (102.6 KB, 982 views)
File Type: jpg 20210613_095942.jpg (159.1 KB, 990 views)
File Type: jpg 20210604_144642.jpg (163.2 KB, 989 views)
Old 16 June 2021, 06:20 AM   #8
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love the photos. And nice spot for a monogram!

Off to try the watch on at a local AD this evening. Who knows...maybe they will bargain and strike up a deal I can't pass up.
Old 16 June 2021, 06:39 AM   #9
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
John Wayne Bobbit is that you?
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 08:32 AM   #10
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Lol, nope. Still hanging
Old 16 June 2021, 11:00 AM   #11
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:

Not overly familiar with purchasing Omega watches and potential discounts at dealers, so debating whether to purchase via an AD or via grey. I'm okay going grey if the price point difference is worth it.

Looking for some input as to what are normal AD discounts in the US on this watch? Can I expect a discount of 10%, 20%, 30%, more or less?

If I go grey, looks like I can get a pretty deep discount for a BNIB via Jomashop (as an example). Ebay via Jomashop is even cheaper, with the additional 10% off for Father's Day. Getting this watch for $3450 before tax via Ebay Jomashop seems like a killer deal even without manufacture warranty.

$3,450 is a killer deal. I just bought one (blue on bracelet) today at AD for $3,956 total. I thought I got a killer deal but you nailed it.

The one caution is that I would only buy Omega with warranty. Why? They seem to have problems with the anti reflective coating on the crystals. Not on all, or even most, but enough that I would be wary. However, the savings you would get could easily compensate should you have a problem with AR on crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 12:15 PM   #12
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
$3,450 is a killer deal. I just bought one (blue on bracelet) today at AD for $3,956 total. I thought I got a killer deal but you nailed it.

The one caution is that I would only buy Omega with warranty. Why? They seem to have problems with the anti reflective coating on the crystals. Not on all, or even most, but enough that I would be wary. However, the savings you would get could easily compensate should you have a problem with AR on crystal.

Yep. I've always gone through an AD in past, but may take the gamble at $3,450 + tax for BNIB just without manufacturer warranty. Gut says, these watches are well manufactured with strong quality..thus lower risk of a true issue during the warranty period. Worst case, I pay Omega to service (offsetting my cost savings) or take the risk of using the gray market shop's warranty service.
Old 16 June 2021, 12:41 PM   #13
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Went to my local AD this evening to try on the SMP 300M blue for the first time. He actually had 2 in store, of the exact same watch. Apparently they got them in last week. Oddly enough, his name was Wayne in NC. Funny..given DJ2020 above. :)

My initial thoughts:
- DESIGN: Looks as good in person, as it does in photos online. Really nice looking timepiece. Blue is excellent. I like the wave dial. Comes across as a 'tool' watch, but with some element of sophistication. Not fully 'tool'.
- SPORTY: Definitely sporty and a great summer watch between the blue and the wave dial. Wave dial may make it a bit less flexible to fit into some business occasions, but not a deal breaker.
- SIZE: A tad bit large, but within reason for a diver. My 7.25 inch wrist can hold the 42mm well. Thickness is generally my #1 concern on some watches like the Omega PO, Tudor GMT, Pelagos, etc. The watch must fit under a cuff. The near 14mm thicknesss seems on the high side for me, but acceptable. It feels like the scalloped bezel likely allows it to slip under a cuff, which is good.
- QUALITY - Seemed solid. Not as fine of a finish and feel as my Rolex watches, but quality nonetheless.
- WEIGHT - Didn't bother me at all on the bracelet.
- HEV - Didn't bother me. Although, I'd prefer not to have it.

My wife thoughts: (She wanted to get out of the house and come check the watch out)
- While she accepted it, she wasn't overly impressed. Thought it looked a bit too large at first, until we showed her some of the Omega Planet Ocean watches. She was at least a good sport to listen to my watch talk. :)

NEXT STEPS:

I plan to purchase, as I like the watch a lot. But, the AD was only willing to offer 10% off, at $4,680 plus tax. So, roughly $5k USD out the door. I told him that price was too high. I'll pass for now. He did not counter offer. I may try to call a few other ADs within driving distance this week. If no luck, I'll purchase online at a lower price point BNIB without manufacturer warranty...and take the risk. It seems worth it if a local AD can't get see within reason. I'll then look for a blue rubber strap and deployment clasp as additions.
Old 16 June 2021, 04:28 PM   #14
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Aren't grey dealers offering better prices than $5k and you get a warranty?
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 08:29 PM   #15
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Try offering your AD $4.0k and see what happens. I'll bet he comes back ~$4.2

It's a hot watch, but if he has two of them now then this is probably your best chance to purchase from a local AD and get what ever benefits come from doing that.

Otherwise, phone up Erik Szper at Radcliffe in Maryland and work out a similar deal with him. He'll ship the watch, and he probably will avoid charging the NC state sales tax. I have purchased Omega watches from Erik this way. Great guy to deal with, in my experience.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 08:48 PM   #16
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

5k OTD is not unreasonable in my opinion. If you bought gray for 1k less and had a problem you would end up paying the same. But not likely too. 8800 is ROCK solid and extremely accurate.

I think (for me) I would much rather have one from a legitimate authorized dealer with all the paperwork, box and support for the next 5 years. For me, the price difference, piece of mind and new with all the history belonging to me is worth the price difference. Not to mention bracelet fitting and any odds or ends you may want in the future with this AD. Something to consider I think.
Old 16 June 2021, 08:58 PM   #17
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

I purchased my 300M new in box from Jareds. I didn't bargain for a discount but they gifted me a nice set or earrings for my wife. To me, there was something nice about purchasing the watch without bargaining like I was buying a used car. I wanted to leave the store with the feeling of a beautiful watch on my wrist without the intensity of bargaining. No, I'm not wealthy and I always wrestle with car dealers and haggled like a maniac for my house but the watch purchase gave me a special feeling that I wanted to retain every time I checked my wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seamaster.jpg (97.5 KB, 879 views)
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 09:17 PM   #18
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watch and fun to wear. I would look at DavidSW, a Trusted Seller on TRF, and who has a web store and a physical store in Orlando. He has numerous watches that will match what you want with box, papers and warranty. You should come in around 4k for a slightly pre-owned model that is complete. Don't turn this watch search into being solely about the money as in the end you should be within a few hundred dollars either way. I would not buy a watch that was not complete and under warranty for a few hundred dollars savings that you will lose should it need work. The resale value diminishes significantly without the complete set so you will not get as much on the resale or flip. Good luck and go get your watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 09:53 PM   #19
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

+1
Old 16 June 2021, 11:06 PM   #20
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Great input from everyone. Thank you.

Lucky for me, this watch is obtainable via many sources. And agree, a few hundred isn't a big deal in the scheme of things. I plan to keep the watch, so not overly concerned on re-sale.

Circling with some additional ADs/jewelers I've used in past and have existing relationships with and may have availability/access to the watch. Then, I will make the decision to purchase within the week. Looking forward to having this in prep for summer!

Keep the photos coming. I'll share my incoming once obtained.
Old 18 June 2021, 07:25 AM   #21
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great input from everyone. Thank you.

Lucky for me, this watch is obtainable via many sources. And agree, a few hundred isn't a big deal in the scheme of things. I plan to keep the watch, so not overly concerned on re-sale.

Circling with some additional ADs/jewelers I've used in past and have existing relationships with and may have availability/access to the watch. Then, I will make the decision to purchase within the week. Looking forward to having this in prep for summer!

Keep the photos coming. I'll share my incoming once obtained.

Picked this up today. It is amazing how the dial vibrantly explodes when introduced to sunlight!

Here she is with her new family. Air - Sea - Land

Already took a dip in the pool with her.

I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect “nice beater” to wear when I don’t want to wear one of my Rolexes — pool/beach/boating — yet still nice enough to be proud to wear it. For example, I’m going over to my girlfriends pool on Saturday, then we will head out to dinner, then a birthday party. I think the SMP should fit the bill ... at least until my new Cermit/Starbucks comes in.

I got, what I think is, a great deal. $3,956 out the door, brand new from AD. I already ordered an Omega NATO for her that will be delivered tomorrow. And, I have a white RubberB strap for it too. It should be fun playing around with different configurations of it.

Old 18 June 2021, 09:14 AM   #22
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Could try the AD with the grey price in mind and if they can’t get close go grey
Old 18 June 2021, 12:34 PM   #23
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
Could try the AD with the grey price in mind and if they can’t get close go grey
Yep. Talked with two ADs locally. Both would only budge 10%, which isn't enough. Remote AD who I bought a Rolex from years ago, had one and would only go 10% with an indication that all non-Rolex watches are selling faster now including the Omega due to lack of availability of Rolex. Local jeweler I know, who is not an AD, but I have a strong purchase background with....was able to locate at 20% off fully stickers/warranty/etc. Still about $500 higher. I'll make a decision soon.
Old 18 June 2021, 12:38 PM   #24
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
Picked this up today. It is amazing how the dial vibrantly explodes when introduced to sunlight!

[/IMG]

I got, what I think is, a great deal. $3,956 out the door, brand new from AD. I already ordered an Omega NATO for her that will be delivered tomorrow. And, I have a white RubberB strap for it too. It should be fun playing around with different configurations of it.
Under $4k out the door is an excellent price from an AD!

And fantastic photos! Can't wait until I get mine. It will probably be my beach, pool, summer and all around watch.

What Rubber B fits this Omega?
Old 18 June 2021, 02:58 PM   #25
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Omega SMP 300M Blue - AD vs Grey?

Quote:
Under $4k out the door is an excellent price from an AD!

And fantastic photos! Can't wait until I get mine. It will probably be my beach, pool, summer and all around watch.

What Rubber B fits this Omega?

The store OTD price was actually $4,060. But with the cash rewards I get on my credit card, I got back $104 for that transaction and a net cost to me of $3,956. I apologize if that was misleading.

I purchased the RubberB tang buckle for my Daytona. The rep told me it would also fit my GMT (it does perfectly) and the SMP.

I’ll put the rubber on the SMP tomorrow and post a pic and my thoughts on it.

RubberB makes it seem like their straps are specifically made for each Rolex model ... but I don’t really think that is the case. The biggest variable is the lug width. The 20mm strap fits (perfectly) on the Daytona and GMT ... and I expect the SMP.

Old 19 June 2021, 11:18 PM   #26
bswizzle2552
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 BB58 16203
I have routinely had a 20% discount on my past 2 omega purchases

A SMP 300 and a FOIS Speedmaster
bswizzle2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 06:18 AM   #27
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:

Delray watch sells it new with warranty

https://delraywatch.com/new-omega-se...tic-blue-dial/

Just contact them.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 01:00 AM   #28
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Here’s blue SMP on Omega navy/white nato

Old 22 June 2021, 08:50 PM   #29
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 04:17 AM   #30
rarra92
"TRF" Member

Hi everybody, new to the forum. I had to share, just bought my Seamaster last week at my local Omega Boutique, I am in love with my watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210613_173147_s.jpg (101.6 KB, 572 views)
rarra92 is offline   Reply With Quote