The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 September 2021, 10:26 AM   #1
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

New Seiko Alpinist SPB241J

New Seiko watch came in today, this is the Alpinist modern reissue SPB241J1

I first saw news of the Alpinist reissue a few months back, the various references became available sometime in August. The pre-release articles were very positive and I really liked the watch in photos, the specs also seemed good to me as my other watch is a modern Seamaster and this Seiko would provide a nice contrast.

After watching a bunch of youtube videos and sesrching for every photo I could find, I decided I preferred the white/creme/ivory dial over the other2 options, which are a really nice grey and also a green. I think I would have been happy with any of the 3 dial options. My favorites were the grey and the white

I bought a cheap sizing tool off amazon so that I could adjust the pin and collar style bracelet links at home. This was my first attempt at sizing a pin and collar bracelet and I must say the 8 dollar amazon tool made this task a breeze and quite enjoyable. I made a pot of coffee and took my time, eventually added 1 link back in to get what I think is a pretty comfortable perhaps slightly on the looser side fit to my 7 inch wrist.

The bracelet has some really nice chamfers and bevels in strategic places and has no hot spots, hair pulling or other irritations.

The case finishing is very nice, I have had another Seiko at this price point and I can say that too was quite nice and for the money I think Seiko make a very nicely finished and robust feeling watch.

Here are some photos taken immediately after I sized it

I think these new Alpinists are going to be good sellers, and Im already wondering if the grey dial should have been the one instead of the creme!!
Attached Images
File Type: png seiko 6.PNG (147.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg seiko 4.JPG (129.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg seiko 3.JPG (126.3 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg seiko 2.JPG (102.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg seiko 5 .JPG (139.8 KB, 203 views)
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 03:39 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very nice, congrats. Looks good on you.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:16 PM   #3
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

I think you chose wisely. They make a great pair, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:29 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 10:45 PM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Looks great! I have a prior generation of the Alpinist in green. Congrats on adjusting the bracelet, a task I have yet to achieve.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 04:40 AM   #6
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Thank You all, wearing the new Seiko today at work and it is extremely comfortable. I think my seamaster is also very comfy but with the smaller dimensions and lighter weight this seiko has disappeared under my shirt cuff, I could almost forget I was wearing a watch at all

Again I think Seiko have really done a great job with these new Alpinist reissues. I picked this one up for less than retail msrp thru Gnomon watches, it arrived in under a calendar week as well.

Have a great day guys !
Old 2 September 2021, 04:43 AM   #7
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester585 View Post
Thank You all, wearing the new Seiko today at work and it is extremely comfortable. I think my seamaster is also very comfy but with the smaller dimensions and lighter weight this seiko has disappeared under my shirt cuff, I could almost forget I was wearing a watch at all

Again I think Seiko have really done a great job with these new Alpinist reissues. I picked this one up for less than retail msrp thru Gnomon watches, it arrived in under a calendar week as well.

Have a great day guys !

Did you have to pay customs fees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 07:03 AM   #8
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

No fees at all from gnomon mothership to New York State, USA

There were no shipping fees or added costs, it was the price advertised on the website and nothing more.

DHL shipping service as standard and only option

It was my first time shopping with Gnomon and it was a very pleasant experience, I would shop with them again

Of course, your mileage may vary... such is life.

God bless, my friend :)
Old 2 September 2021, 06:12 PM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I love these, I plan on picking up the gray one later this year. Thanks for the review, you’ve reinforced my decision to buy one.

Enjoy!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 02:16 AM   #10
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

I think you’ll be very pleased. For the money I don’t think you can do much better.

This watch wears beautifully, the bracelet feels “broken in” right out of the box. The clasp is one of my favorite features, really beautiful machined chamfers that contour really nice on the wrist. I think the clasp is better than my seamaster which is in a whole different price bracket. Of course I do love the micro adjust that omega offers

You can’t go wrong with the dial color options as well, I wanted a bracelet so the green was out for now, but all 3 are equally beautiful in my opinion

Last edited by Rochester585; 3 September 2021 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 3 September 2021, 06:16 AM   #11
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I love my flan (cream) dial, the bracelet too. In certain lighting the dial even looks almost slightly champagne-ish.

My only complaint is I wish it didn't have the prospex logo on the dial.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 08:57 AM   #12
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Nice, I have been eyeing this one and the no compass Alpinist (Grey/Blue/Green dials). I like the cream dial a lot. Does it wear thick? That's one of my hesitations with the no compass version, or the compass version for that matter as well.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 10:27 AM   #13
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

I do not find it to wear thick at all on my 7 inch relatively flat wrist. I too was concerned with how it might wear after watching videos and reading commentary that the reviewers wouldve liked a slimmer case

In my opinion it has very balanced proportions and this thing just disappears during daily wear, extremely comfy!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5578.JPG (61.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 3 September 2021, 10:34 AM   #14
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

had to add these beautiful lume shots to this thread..really love that they chose blue lume, it really compliments the champagne creme ivory dial
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (71.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpeg image2 (1).jpeg (74.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (72.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpeg image4.jpeg (68.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 4 September 2021, 12:25 AM   #15
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester585 View Post
I do not find it to wear thick at all on my 7 inch relatively flat wrist. I too was concerned with how it might wear after watching videos and reading commentary that the reviewers wouldve liked a slimmer case

In my opinion it has very balanced proportions and this thing just disappears during daily wear, extremely comfy!!
Nice. Thanks for the photo. I like slim watches, but that doesn't appear to wear too thick from your shot... I revisited the Hodinkee article last night, and my interest is increasing. Tough choice between all three dials.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote