The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 5 September 2021, 12:47 AM   #1
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Hi-Beat movement - worth the extra ?

When the SLA025 first came out I really liked the vintage look (plus it's based on the watch from the same year I was born), the case and the heritage - but didn't like the price.

Having never owned a watch that has a hi-beat movement, I'd looked recently at a Zenith Pilot Bronze Chrono but it was really huge on the wrist.
I've seen an SLA025 for sale from 2018 at what seems an ok price (or one I'm prepared to pay). But is the 025 and Hi-Beat really worth the extra over say a Marinemaster with 8L35 movement, or the newly re-released SPB153 Willard ?

Thanks in advance
FC
Flying Clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 01:29 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

“Worth” is a tricky word when it comes to watches, IMHO. A hi-beat movement is more of a premium movement, but whether the extra cost is worth it to you is another story.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 02:16 AM   #3
Mifune
Banned

it is to me... I think it is a step up in valuation.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 03:09 AM   #4
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Thanks both.

Worth is relative of course but I was more thinking about is it one of those things as a watch enthusiast that you "have" to own once ??
Old 5 September 2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Clog View Post
Thanks both.

Worth is relative of course but I was more thinking about is it one of those things as a watch enthusiast that you "have" to own once ??
For me, a GS collection is complete with at least one Spring Drive, one Hi-Beat and one 9F.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 08:54 AM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I wouldn't say that you "have" to own one. The Seiko term "Hi-Beat" just means the movement runs at ten beats/ticks per second instead of the usual eight (though it used to cover eight at one time also), and Seiko has been making these since about 1967, the first being the Lord Marvel 36000. Just before that was Girard Perregaux's Gyromatic and soon after Seiko came the Longines Ultra-Chron. These can all be had in great shape for a few hundred $$ and might be more interesting from a collector point of view. For modern GS I prefer 9F quartz or Spring Drive.
Old 5 September 2021, 10:42 PM   #7
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the SLA025 and most of the watches in the SLA line-up. The "is it worth it" is a subjective question and my answer is , no. I think you can cover a lot of the same ground with other models in the SLA line-up at less cost and more punch for the dollar. One of the great things about Seiko is that you can usually touch watches at all price points with out a loss in style or wear. The movement issues, large timing variations, with the lesser movements can also be alleviated with a regulation of the movement. If you buy the SLA025 do it because you really want it. The collectability factor is there but it is not worth the extra dollars for me. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 11:00 PM   #8
nan7yo
"TRF" Member

The hi-beat means more than just +- seconds accuracy. I am willing to pay the extra for a better caliber Grand Seiko trying to offer, here is my favorite hi-beat special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nan7yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 12:15 AM   #9
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, it's definitely a cut above the standard Seiko movement, but...

Thing is, all the GS movements are technical tours-de-force. The 9R Spring Drive is unique, 9F is arguably the (second) best HAQ movement, and the 9S Hi-Beat is a legendary part of Seiko's heritage.

Is it worth it? Yes. Is it more special than the other GS techs?

Hmmmmm.....
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 12:28 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
If you’re in the market for a SLA025, I’d think the actual movement would be secondary. It’s a massive dive watch of close to 45mm and 16mm thick with a cool retro-inspired design. Those are the key points.

The movement is great, but I’d think the watch has other characteristics that are much more prominent. Also, you don’t have a choice. It’s not as if there’s a cheaper SLA025 with a lesser movement. Those other watches you mention are quite different in design.

In general, yes, better mechanical movements are worth it, because that’s why a lot of guys love mechanical watches in the first place. More quality and better accuracy are more appealing in all those tiny mechanical bits and pieces. Otherwise we’d just buy a G-Shock.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 12:47 AM   #11
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
If you’re in the market for a SLA025, I’d think the actual movement would be secondary. It’s a massive dive watch of close to 45mm and 16mm thick with a cool retro-inspired design. Those are the key points.

The movement is great, but I’d think the watch has other characteristics that are much more prominent. Also, you don’t have a choice. It’s not as if there’s a cheaper SLA025 with a lesser movement. Those other watches you mention are quite different in design.

In general, yes, better mechanical movements are worth it, because that’s why a lot of guys love mechanical watches in the first place. More quality and better accuracy are more appealing in all those tiny mechanical bits and pieces. Otherwise we’d just buy a G-Shock.
Let's face it, we all have G-Shocks too ;)
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 03:45 AM   #12
Mr_Pacman
"TRF" Member

I recently sold my SLA025 and have also owned the SLA021 Marine Master 300.

The SLA025 is a very special watch with some attention to detail that other higher seiko's dont' have. The hands are polished but have what appears to be powder coated edges on them which I've never seen before on a watch. The dial is great, case is fantastic.

I sold it because it was not practical to wear daily for me and having an expensive watch relegated to weekends didn't make sense. Especially using a special watch like that to smash around dealing with young kids riding bikes, going to parks etc. For that type of activity, I'm better off with an SLA021.

I sold my SLA025 for $4,000 CAD to a friend (gave him a bit of a deal). Around here, I can snag a lightly used SLA021 for around $2,250 CAD.

The SLA025 has been slammed by a few of the influential Seiko collectors online so they don't seem to be held in the same regard as the 62MAS re-issue. When you compare the two side by side, the SLA025 is has higher end finishing touches on it , which makes sense considering the delta in MSRP.
Mr_Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 10:14 AM   #13
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Thanks all - really appreciate the opinions.

Still need to try get up to the dealer to try it before purchasing as I read its big and top heavy. But lets see how it fits - my new 47mm Panerai seems ok but guess its thinner and perhaps not as heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 September 2021, 02:55 PM   #14
klenboy

For me it’s worth every penny. I chose this as my one and done Seiko. The fact that it has a mono-bloc case, high beat movement, and gilt dial, this combination makes it really unique.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 09:39 AM   #15
subdownunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
If you are a purist that only collects mechanical movement then yes.

If you are not so fussy then the Spring Drive brings a unique movement to the table at a lower price point.

Both are equally exceptional movements.
subdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote