The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2021, 04:58 AM   #1
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
What is your grail watch and why

I have been collecting and a enthusiast for 40 years now. Some styles I have liked and probably always will. But nearing the end of my journey and thinking about my last big watch purchase.

My thought process has also changed threw the years as to what a grail watch would truly be for me. I have needed and used dive watches all my life diving and in the military. I can read the time easy, lume for darkness, water resistance and durability. My reason for loving them.

I have a new PO that I love, a sapphire sandwich on the way. That will be my main 2 watch collection. I will gift the remaining collection to my relatives ( mainly Hamilton, Tissot etc)(nothing special to me).

But having had, Subs, 300m's, PO's, Heuer and Breitling's, I am satisfied with my PO, the 3861 will cover the Chronograph.

So grail? What do I want for that slot? Something expensive? Something PM?, I have decided something that blends high technology, accurate and tough. But a bit different. Maybe a blend of the style I love combined with the latest materials and a bit smaller. I have chosen the Omega 39.5 ceramic PO with a strap.

I think it will make a light, capable and interesting piece.

How will you choose your grail?

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...21592402001001
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 05:52 AM   #2
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

You have already your 3861... so this would not be applicable to you, but if I had to have one Omega grail it would probably be this one

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31060425002001

I tried on a few months ago, and it's a beauty.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 08:15 AM   #3
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Always wanted a Flightmaster!
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 10:28 AM   #4
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
You have already your 3861... so this would not be applicable to you, but if I had to have one Omega grail it would probably be this one

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31060425002001

I tried on a few months ago, and it's a beauty.

I had already planned on buying the Speedmaster and it's supposed to be ordered already. Should be in soon..... I hope. Excited about receiving it.
Old 16 September 2021, 11:50 AM   #5
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I already have the 3861 Speedmaster and I can almost... almost wear this as my only watch. I do think it wears a bit big for my (usual) taste, but despite that, I really love it.

As far as grails, that would have to be a Milsub for me. Unrealistic.

More realistically grail-wise, I want quite badly a Patek 5196 in rose gold most likely, but it's hard choice between that and the white gold. I've tried them both as well as the yellow gold and they represent to me the perfect watch.

My collection has a way to go, but ultimately I'd like a Speedmaster/Reverso/Calatrava/ and some sort of diver, I have the PO (and Seikos) but I crave something smaller, the GO SeaQ perhaps or 5 digit Sub. Throw in a silver dial Datejust or Daydate with a Buckley dial and I'm golden.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 12:20 PM   #6
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Hold on hold on...
Are we doing grailS and not Omega only? Gotcha.
Then I will add a 5167 to the Speedy Canopus gold.
With these two I’ll be done. No more watches needed :)
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 09:06 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I set the term Grail aside years ago. I have been fortunate enough to have purchased many, that at the time, I thought were Grails only to move on to another. I will somewhat highjack the term and as it applies to me now, is a watch that will stay in the collection and get significant wear. My 3861 fits the bill, the rest move around a lot. I have a Rolex Submariner-C ND 114060 which with the 3861 could be a two watch collection but I have way too many right now to find out. Congratulations on your purchase and let us know how it goes.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 09:22 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
As William said, I’m not sure I buy into the “grail” philosophy. I used to think I had a grail, but then after owning it (a few times), I realized it’s a bit of a moving target, YMMV

That said, I’m really quite interested in the 321, but have not been able to compare it to the 3861. I know, I know, it’s probably very unlikely that I’ll ever be able to do so, but at the price point, I’d like to see one and compare before taking the plunge
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 12:47 AM   #9
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

I hadn't thought of the term "grail" in those terms as 1William stated. Makes since. I guess for me it would presumably be my last purchase. I guess some would say the pentacle of there collection or even there most sought after just out of reach piece.

I guess it certainly can mean many things to different folks. I too have owned many that I believe I could of owned and enjoyed the rest of my days. Ironically one of my favorites of all time was not a expensive piece, but definitely had a attachment to was a Breitling superocean 42mm with the ETA B17 movement ( earlier model) I loved the fit and comfort of the P3 bracelet and it fit perfectly on my wrist. Kept flawless time.

But times change, Maybe grail is the wrong terminology. How about " your most wanted" of all Brands may be more appropriate.
Old 17 September 2021, 01:59 AM   #10
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
My "grail" watch is eventually consolidating down to a Day Date 40. hoping to do when I retire. Whether it will actually happen, who knows. As others have said each person's "grail" can change many times over the years.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 02:06 AM   #11
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
As William said, I’m not sure I buy into the “grail” philosophy. I used to think I had a grail, but then after owning it (a few times), I realized it’s a bit of a moving target, YMMV
gotta agree fully with this.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 02:28 AM   #12
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
MELODY-30-A_400_500_094d1f83f8e9e09d_c1_centre_centre_0_0.jpg

Love this piece, that's really why.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 03:21 AM   #13
Golfpaul66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
I have an Omega grail watch and a non-omega grail watch. I already own the Omega grail (pictured). My non-Omega grail is the Rolex Smurf but I’m sure that’s just a dream now. Could have been a reality several years ago but that piece is priced way above the stratosphere now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Golfpaul66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 03:33 AM   #14
alllexandru

Moonshine, I don't think I will ever get one
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 05:41 AM   #15
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I've always been of the belief that one's grail is something we strongly desire, fervently pursue but ultimately it is unattainable.
Old 17 September 2021, 06:27 AM   #16
tufa
"TRF" Member

Snoopy 50th Anniversary is my grail. Most people don't know what it is and no need to worry about that someone will cut my hand of just for that. Was lucky enough to get it at retail.
tufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 06:31 AM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Something from Gronefeld

or Voutilainen

Independents are making beautiful and ground breaking watches
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 07:36 AM   #18
DD58
"TRF" Member

Grail wow!! Ok so let’s go fake grail aka watches l never be able to afford. 1 Jacob and co astronomia solar planets. 2 patek Philippe 5196p absolutely perfect.
So far I have over the past 2 years knocked a few of my someday grails off my list.
1 Tudor bb gmt
2 omega speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005
3 Tudor ranger 2020.
I got them in that order. I never though I would have one let alone three In 2 years. The last real watch on my grail would be a rolex 216570 polar dial. I have a good reputation with the Ad and I’m only 2 on the list of one. He said most likely by February of 2022 so I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 11:57 AM   #19
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Grail is a term I’m still exploring. I think to me it means something I’ll likely never obtain, like a Voutilainen or Greubel Forsey. An attainable grail for me is a De Bethune Titan Hawk (the blue one with center seconds that doesn’t say “Titan Hawk” on the dial).

I’ve come to realize that I will never be content and stop buying watches. I don’t mean to sound greedy, I just mean that I enjoy the research and time learning about a watch I really like then finally being able to purchase it. The next watch I’m really eyeing and that has caught my attention is the Vacheron Constantin Historiques Triple Calandrier 1942. With an MSRP of $21,900 USD it is definitely obtainable by me and I just think the watch has a ton of character. Now to decide which one. I’m leaning towards the one with red lettering.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 01:11 PM   #20
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Grail is a term I’m still exploring. I think to me it means something I’ll likely never obtain, like a Voutilainen or Greubel Forsey. An attainable grail for me is a De Bethune Titan Hawk (the blue one with center seconds that doesn’t say “Titan Hawk” on the dial).

I’ve come to realize that I will never be content and stop buying watches. I don’t mean to sound greedy, I just mean that I enjoy the research and time learning about a watch I really like then finally being able to purchase it. The next watch I’m really eyeing and that has caught my attention is the Vacheron Constantin Historiques Triple Calandrier 1942. With an MSRP of $21,900 USD it is definitely obtainable by me and I just think the watch has a ton of character. Now to decide which one. I’m leaning towards the one with red lettering.

I like the one on the blue strap, it's a killer looking watch for sure!
Old 17 September 2021, 01:13 PM   #21
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD58 View Post
Grail wow!! Ok so let’s go fake grail aka watches l never be able to afford. 1 Jacob and co astronomia solar planets. 2 patek Philippe 5196p absolutely perfect.
So far I have over the past 2 years knocked a few of my someday grails off my list.
1 Tudor bb gmt
2 omega speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005
3 Tudor ranger 2020.
I got them in that order. I never though I would have one let alone three In 2 years. The last real watch on my grail would be a rolex 216570 polar dial. I have a good reputation with the Ad and I’m only 2 on the list of one. He said most likely by February of 2022 so I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

I hope you get lucky and get the Polar. I have not ever seen one much less had the opportunity to try one on. But like the design and simple function of that watch.
Old 17 September 2021, 03:44 PM   #22
DD58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I hope you get lucky and get the Polar. I have not ever seen one much less had the opportunity to try one on. But like the design and simple function of that watch.

I had the opportunity to try on a 16550 about a year ago, really awesome time. The ad got it in on trade. But everyone says it’s not the same as the 216570. And it was way out of my price range at 29,000.00

DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 12:45 AM   #23
colpol
"TRF" Member

Fell in love with this model maybe about 15 years ago

Had a couple of chances to buy over years but the right watch always appears at the wrong time
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 09E585D2-4D69-4774-91DB-3B637406DA45.jpeg (98.5 KB, 275 views)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 02:07 AM   #24
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post

Had a couple of chances to buy over years but the right watch always appears at the wrong time
That is a very nice one indeed
Old 18 September 2021, 02:37 AM   #25
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Something from Gronefeld

or Voutilainen

Independents are making beautiful and ground breaking watches
You sir, you got some taste!

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 07:45 AM   #26
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=DJ2020;11703917]I have been collecting and a enthusiast for 40 years now. Some styles I have liked and probably always will. But nearing the end of my journey and thinking about my last big watch purchase.

My thought process has also changed threw the years as to what a grail watch would truly be for me. I have needed and used dive watches all my life diving and in the military. I can read the time easy, lume for darkness, water resistance and durability. My reason for loving them.

I have a new PO that I love, a sapphire sandwich on the way. That will be my main 2 watch collection. I will gift the remaining collection to my relatives ( mainly Hamilton, Tissot etc)(nothing special to me).

But having had, Subs, 300m's, PO's, Heuer and Breitling's, I am satisfied with my PO, the 3861 will cover the Chronograph.

Seasmaster 300M in black. Great accuracy, perfect size, fantastic detail and contrary to some, I love the band.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seamaster.jpg (97.5 KB, 249 views)
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 07:57 AM   #27
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Am wearing mine.

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 09:49 PM   #28
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 01:21 AM   #29
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

That said, I’m really quite interested in the 321, but have not been able to compare it to the 3861. I know, I know, it’s probably very unlikely that I’ll ever be able to do so, but at the price point, I’d like to see one and compare before taking the plunge

I have a 1861 and a 321. It’s strange because they don’t compare. One is like a business class seat and the other a first class suite on a jumbo. Looking all day at the movement, the fit of the watch, the bracelet and the best bit for me, the feel and noise from the wind, makes it the most satisfying watch I own. If opportunity knocks for you, I recommend you buy.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 07:22 AM   #30
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post

The “Chuck Maddox”. Fratello was trying to Omega to re-issue it. Awesome looking watch.
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote