The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 June 2008, 10:05 PM   #31
doc_colton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcogo2010 View Post
It's too bad the 44mm is a Ronda quartz...That would be awesome if it were a Eta either 2824 or 2836.
Steinhart/Debaufre don't offer quartz movement watches, all the GMT ones are ETA 2893 movements.
Old 7 June 2008, 03:06 AM   #32
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Doc, my Debaufre GMT Ocean-1 (blue/red) is on its way from the post office. I should get it today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_colton View Post
Steinhart/Debaufre don't offer quartz movement watches, all the GMT ones are ETA 2893 movements.
Old 8 June 2008, 08:11 AM   #33
amcogo2010
"TRF" Member

They do offer a quartz movement....go look at the 44mm....

http://store.debaufre.com/Ocean-1-44...dw.01.0844.htm

Appears they do offer quartz...

# 44-mm 316L stainless steel case
# Swiss Ronda Q Movement
# Screw-down crown and case-back
# Super-LumiNova C1 illumination
# Sapphire crystal glass
# 1000 feet water resistant
# Stainless steel oyster bracelet with screws
# Solid end pieces
# Weight: 6.8 oz
# Stainless steel clasp with safety clasp
# 44-mm diameter, 13-mm thick
amcogo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 09:00 AM   #34
skeen
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch, but I'm confused: it looks just like a Rolex. How is another company allowed to produce something so similar?
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2008, 12:26 AM   #35
doc_colton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcogo2010 View Post
They do offer a quartz movement....go look at the 44mm....

http://store.debaufre.com/Ocean-1-44...dw.01.0844.htm

Appears they do offer quartz...

# 44-mm 316L stainless steel case
# Swiss Ronda Q Movement
# Screw-down crown and case-back
# Super-LumiNova C1 illumination
# Sapphire crystal glass
# 1000 feet water resistant
# Stainless steel oyster bracelet with screws
# Solid end pieces
# Weight: 6.8 oz
# Stainless steel clasp with safety clasp
# 44-mm diameter, 13-mm thick
My mistake
Old 13 June 2008, 06:50 PM   #36
Thomas Carey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
Great review. I have seen this brand around a little bit but had not heard much feedback until I read your review. If my understanding is correct the brand is manufactured by Grovana, same maker as Revue Thommen. Now I happen to have a Revue Thommen in my collection and it is a very good quality watch for the money. Looks now like I will have to take a better look at Steinhart.
You are correct Grovana is the company actually producing these. As well as their own brand and models for the Roberts brand name as well. Also Steinhart has undergone a name change to Debaufre. Another company had the same name and more money for lawyers so a name change was in order. Here is a link to their web site which shows the version of this model I like as I can't afford the real Rolex model at the moment.

http://store.debaufre.com/Ocean-1-Tw...dw.01.07tt.htm

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2008, 06:54 PM   #37
Thomas Carey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
Great looking watch, but I'm confused: it looks just like a Rolex. How is another company allowed to produce something so similar?
They call it an homage and get away with it. Rolex does not have patents on the looks of these models so if they don't use the Rolex name they can do it.

Unless they are the Chinese then it would seem they can use the name etc and get away with it.

If you look at Invicta they "homage" every thing and everyone. They are making a fortune on the designs of others. Frankly I don't feel this is the right thing. But business is business I guess. Plus I have to say I would buy a nice homage. But I will not buy a out right fake. At least knowingly.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2008, 09:30 PM   #38
mickeydainish
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 16610
... sure is a looker.. love that SS finish!!! :-)
mickeydainish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 09:08 AM   #39
MassiveAttack

Watch: your target
my first venture into the Debaufre brand was with a Nav B (big pilot look alike) - honestly i love the look of the iwc big pilot but cannot fathom that kind of money for such a simple basic looking watch. i loved the AR lume and the solid look of the Nav B in wrist shots i've seen online and decided to spring for one.

within a day of delivery, i got an email from Jon asking me how i liked the watch. i told him as im telling you now that i'd love to comment but im unfortunately still deployed (without a deployment clasp lol) and will return in a few months to give him a review. in the meantime, i really love the look of the GMT coke, and Blue/Gold Ocean... who knows, i may have these watches wait for my return along with the Nav B.
MassiveAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 08:11 AM   #40
snapper531
"TRF" Member

I have owned a Rolex Sea Dweller in the past but had to sell for financial reasons. I have also loved to owned a Rolex Sub and have always loved the look of these watches.

I wanted to buy a watch with the same look and feel as my Sea Dweller but there's no way I could afford the price of a new Rolex so I decided to look at the Steinhart. Looked at it, read the reviews and decided to get the black 'Ocean One'.

Well it arrived last week when I was in hospital and when I got home and opened the box up I was absolutely amazed at the quality of the watch. The case, the bracelet (way better than Rolex) and the attention to detail. Well all I can say for the fraction of the price of a Sub, this has got to be an excellent buy when on a budget. I know it's not a Rolex, it's a Steinhart, but the watch is quality and to be honest fits my wrist way better than my old Sea Dweller.

Definitely would buy another one of these maybe with a different coloured bezel so that it is not mistaken for a Rolex Sub fake.

Best buy in a watch I've made in years.
snapper531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2012, 07:09 AM   #41
experimentjon
"TRF" Member

Looks like this thread got bumped back from the dead.

I personally own one Robert Poseidon 39mm (back when I was into smaller watches), a Steinhart Ocean 1 42mm with green bezel (because I know I couldn't afford a 16610LV which is my true grail), and an Ocean 1 GMT Pepsi 42mm. I've always regarded these as very well-made watches. Tons of value for the money, and they just looked and felt good on the wrist. While they are homages of Rolexes, I think they're distinct enough to be different: primarily 42mm case and 22mm lugs really set it apart as a chunkier watch.

The first time I actually tried on a Rolex Submariner (still want one) was at a bar for happy hour with my boss who had one on his wrist, and was talking about how much he beat on it while surfing/diving, etc. I just had my Ocean 1 on. Already, you can see why I'm the newbie, and he's the boss. But when I tried the Sub, the first thing I noticed was that it was considerably lighter than my Steinhart, smaller, and had a cheaper-feeling bracelet. To be honest, it was a tad bit underwhelming. At the same time, I was extremely excited to finally have a real sub on my wrist and admired it for a good few minutes.

I think the takeaway is that Steinhart does make a very good watch. If you can't afford a Rolex yet (like me), this is a great stepping stone to see if you like the design/style. The fit and finish is top notch, the size/weight/feel are great, and the movement is a quality one from ETA. But now, it's time for me to save up for the next step up...and I guess that's why I'm here on TRF now. :)
experimentjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 08:37 AM   #42
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Jonathan,

Here is a photo of my Ocean One with green bezel. I have been really impressed with the quality of this watch, from presentation to the fit and feel.

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2012, 07:15 AM   #43
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
If you don't mind the close resemblance to the Rolex models their watches are great value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oceangmt1.jpg (84.6 KB, 643 views)
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2016, 12:47 AM   #44
00Time
"TRF" Member

Steinhart Ocean One

Just browsing through the forums and would like to give my 2 cents. Just recently recieved my new Ocean One and I have to agree that its such a nice watch considering the price. (Not sure how they charge so little for this watch!) One of my deciding factors in ordering was that it was an inexpensive way for me to take a Submariner style watch with the cyclops for a test drive. Wearing it now for about 2 weeks the magnifier doesnt bother me at all the way i thought it would and I actually like it. For me a watch must have a date. When I do wind up getting my Sub date I dont think i will be letting this one go. Only qualm is the caramic insert that washes out depending on how the light hits it.
00Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 11:45 AM   #45
Ginseng
"TRF" Member

I'm pleased to hear this review of Steinhart. I own two of their watches with a third on the horizon. My favorite so far is the Ocean One Titanium 500. I wear super comfortably, fit and finish is exemplary, and the design is crisp, contemporary, and clean. A total winner and astonishing value at about $540 at current exchange rates.

Ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:16 AM   #46
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Good review!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:43 AM   #47
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
This thread is nearly 11 years old...
Old 3 October 2019, 08:58 PM   #48
lozgti105
"TRF" Member

13 now...love my Steinhart Ocean One 39
lozgti105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 10:54 AM   #49
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I have looked at Steinhart a lot lately.... very nice watch from them you have, I hope it gives you many years of reliable service
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 01:44 AM   #50
Greglaw
Banned

I have a great 42mm the vintage model that looks like the milsub...awesome watch love the patina look and domed crystal...on a nato it’s awesome! I’ve had it for 4-5 years no issues at all except I like it as much as any Rolex I’ve ever had!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 05:32 AM   #51
Dietzster
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them, lol.
I've had a few Steinharts now and actually like them. Great value for the money!
Dietzster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 01:09 AM   #52
JohnSantaFe
"TRF" Member

Great review. I have that model with a black face and green ceramic bezel. Exceptional value in my opinion.
JohnSantaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:58 PM   #53
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietzster View Post
I've had a few Steinharts now and actually like them. Great value for the money!
I own a few too - I use them as 'daily beaters' - fantastic value for money.

FrenchBigCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 01:21 AM   #54
Greglaw
Banned

Certainly better value than paying ridiculous sums for 3rd party purchases…seriously…they keep time just as well or close to tge high end sport watches and instead LV paying 13k tot a watch that’s 8k retail and likely cost 500 to 1k make…why the heck not? Swiss movement, accurate, good looking? Nothing wrong with them at all!
Old 20 October 2021, 12:14 PM   #55
Greglaw
Banned

Geez just looked at my post, lots of typos, sorry! My point was they are great value for the money in my opinion. And look cool!
Old 1 December 2021, 07:51 AM   #56
Hernan
"TRF" Member

This might be a good placeholder. Thanks for the review.
Hernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 02:22 PM   #57
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Old thread, but since its being kept alive, I’ve had the Ocean One vintage GMT for a few years. It’s one of my beaters and is a cool homepage to the first explorer II.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote