The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2020, 01:16 AM   #91
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
I have owned 9 different Rolexes over the years and none of them are in the same league as Lange. Lange without a doubt.
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 01:39 AM   #92
thorm
"TRF" Member

I have no idea how the finish and QC is on cellini, but I doubt it can match any Lange watch honestly. So if you are after that finish level from Lange, then go for Lange. If you simply think that Cellini looks nicer then go for the cellini.
thorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 02:10 AM   #93
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
Lange. And on a side note, I'm sad you sold the Exp 2. You always took such nice pictures of that watch.

Thanks so much for your kind words! The Explorer II was the watch that got me into Rolex six years ago. It’s interesting how it takes some time to get comfortable spending more and more on watches.

In the beginning I bought the Milgauss and Explorer at nice discounts thinking I could never afford the Explorer II. Once I finally picked it up I absolutely loved it for years.

Funny how tastes change over time. I recently re-acquired the Explorer and it just seems so perfect the second time around. My tastes have definitely evolved more towards simpler, smaller watches of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 02:15 AM   #94
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnd08 View Post
I have the previous generation Lange 1 in yellow gold (with the L905.1 movement). I wasn't sure about yellow gold, but I think it works so well with this watch; it was how the Lange 1 was first released. The other thing that sealed the deal for me with the yellow gold over rose gold was that the Lange 1s with the L905.1 movement have satin finished sides in yellow, and it's an all polished case with rose gold (I love the contrast). Also, using the seal on the case back, I was able to tell that my Lange 1 case was made by AP - which was something I was looking for.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
Old 30 December 2020, 02:32 AM   #95
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I tried on the white gold. I'm not sure the pink gold was available. Can't remember.

I did try on the yellow and rose gold versions of the 5196 on the same day. I loved both of those too, maybe even more.

I also tried on the white gold version of the 5196 earlier in the year. At the time it didn't do much for me (the white gold) even though I really wanted it to. I was quite disappointed. But this is a watch that when I see in photos it really grabs me, it was sort of a let down in person. Where I think the opposite of the Saxonia... in pictures it's nice, but in person it was so much better.

I tried the white gold 5196 again recently and I had a change of heart. I do think the drab lighting in the store was causing it to seem blah. It still wasn't quite the same as the marketing photos make it out to be. My 2¢ anyway.

Great pics...Not trying to change the direction of this thread but curious as to which 5196 you preferred between the yellow and rose gold. I know that the dial are different with the RG having a more silver/grey finish with a texture-like surface and the yellow being closer to a light silver dial. My Lange is RG so I think I’d like to do the 5196 in YG to change things up but prefer the dial on the RG (on paper anyway). Curious how much they differ in real life. Thanks in advance!

jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 02:53 AM   #96
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Great pics...Not trying to change the direction of this thread but curious as to which 5196 you preferred between the yellow and rose gold. I know that the dial are different with the RG having a more silver/grey finish with a texture-like surface and the yellow being closer to a light silver dial. My Lange is RG so I think I’d like to do the 5196 in YG to change things up but prefer the dial on the RG (on paper anyway). Curious how much they differ in real life. Thanks in advance!

I preferred the yellow gold, and it's precisely because the dial is lighter, but it's a close decision, i like the warmth of the RG. Ask me on a different day and the answer could be the opposite. But at the time, I remember slightly preferring the YG.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 02:59 AM   #97
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I would pick a Patek 5196 over that ALS. No second hand on Lange makes me wonder if it’s running. I like the layout of the Pateks better. I have tried on all of the mentioned watches in person.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 03:35 AM   #98
chloebear
Banned

Quote:

No problem at all on changing the direction....I'm loving the conversation. The reason I've not picked up a dress watch in the last two years when I'm dying to own one is precisely because there are so many amazing choices. Even if I go with the Saxonia Thin, I am completely 50/50 on which color to go with. But between different Langes, Patek, Vacheron, JLC, Grand Seiko, Rolex, it's nearly impossible to decide.

Having said that, I'm definitely one who enjoys the hunt, the conversations, the research, etc. I'm pleasantly surprised how much interest there is in the dress watch segment. I also wonder if it's a segment that might be primed for a comeback.
Old 30 December 2020, 03:37 AM   #99
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Also, using the seal on the case back, I was able to tell that my Lange 1 case was made by AP - which was something I was looking for.
This made me smile because it took a really long time to track down the names of the case manufacturers that correspond with their respective marks. That info was not easy to get! Here's what we have so far, which I think covers all of Lange's case manufacturers unless someone reports seeing yet another manufacturer's mark on their caseback:

CO=Centror (AP)
db=Donzé-Baume (Richemont)
FT=Efteor
SUG=SUG (Sinn)
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 03:48 AM   #100
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
No problem at all on changing the direction....I'm loving the conversation. The reason I've not picked up a dress watch in the last two years when I'm dying to own one is precisely because there are so many amazing choices. Even if I go with the Saxonia Thin, I am completely 50/50 on which color to go with. But between different Langes, Patek, Vacheron, JLC, Grand Seiko, Rolex, it's nearly impossible to decide.

Having said that, I'm definitely one who enjoys the hunt, the conversations, the research, etc. I'm pleasantly surprised how much interest there is in the dress watch segment. I also wonder if it's a segment that might be primed for a comeback.
Despite not having to 'dress up' for work, I've thoroughly enjoyed strapping on the Lange around the home office. I just think people try to pigeon hole watches into 'sport vs. dress' categories too often. Would I ever wear a leather strap to swim, no....but would I wear a 'dress' watch with jeans, shorts, sweatpants, etc...you bet. Same way that I would wear my Rolex with a suit/tie.
I think the key to a dress watch is to choose one that is versatile so that you have more opportunities to wear it.
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 04:23 AM   #101
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
This made me smile because it took a really long time to track down the names of the case manufacturers that correspond with their respective marks. That info was not easy to get! Here's what we have so far, which I think covers all of Lange's case manufacturers unless someone reports seeing yet another manufacturer's mark on their caseback:

CO=Centror (AP)
FT=Efteor
SUG=SUG (Sinn)

Is mine AP?

Old 30 December 2020, 04:37 AM   #102
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I preferred the yellow gold, and it's precisely because the dial is lighter, but it's a close decision, i like the warmth of the RG. Ask me on a different day and the answer could be the opposite. But at the time, I remember slightly preferring the YG.
The J is the classic choice but I liked the R when trying them on. Not a big fan of the opaline dial of the J but I really liked the silver dial / red gold combination of the R. The G was a little disappointing compared to both. In the end I didn't pull the trigger on the R as I found it a little large on my small wrists given its fairly large and largely empty dial (for a 37mm watch).

When I accidentally ran into a preowned 3998P I had found the solution to my dress watch "problem". Small watch but no regrets many years later.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 04:42 AM   #103
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Despite not having to 'dress up' for work, I've thoroughly enjoyed strapping on the Lange around the home office. I just think people try to pigeon hole watches into 'sport vs. dress' categories too often. Would I ever wear a leather strap to swim, no....but would I wear a 'dress' watch with jeans, shorts, sweatpants, etc...you bet. Same way that I would wear my Rolex with a suit/tie.
I think the key to a dress watch is to choose one that is versatile so that you have more opportunities to wear it.
I'm exactly the same. Even when I'm in the office it's a fairly casual place. I like the idea of wearing a dress watch with all sorts of different outfits, even if I'm working from home.

Between the Saxonia and the Cellini, the Saxonia seems more versatile. Then throw in the Explorer and I think I'd have lots of versatility and options.
Old 30 December 2020, 04:50 AM   #104
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:

CO=Centror (AP)
FT=Efteor
SUG=SUG (Sinn)
Looks like a full list, I did read that early Lange watches with no hallmark are also CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Is mine AP?

Looks like it!
Old 30 December 2020, 05:01 AM   #105
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I did read that early Lange watches with no hallmark are also CO.
That sounds right because "CO" was the earliest mark we saw on Lange cases. I think "FT" came next, and then "SUG," and then "db" more recently. I'm not sure if we still see "CO" and "FT" on newer Langes -- haven't looked into that.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 05:10 AM   #106
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
I have been following Saxonia Thin 37mm for a long time. When I tried it on, it turned out to be too small for me. So I switched to 1815 with a tiny seconds in white gold. I tried it on and I already fell in love. I went to buy it and came home from 1815 Up Down in rose gold :-)
Old 30 December 2020, 05:27 AM   #107
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
I have been following Saxonia Thin 37mm for a long time. When I tried it on, it turned out to be too small for me. So I switched to 1815 with a tiny seconds in white gold. I tried it on and I already fell in love. I went to buy it and came home from 1815 Up Down in rose gold :-)

Mariusz,

These pictures are absolutely amazing!!! This is the first picture I've seen of the rose gold Saxonia Thin where the strap looks brown. For some reason they look reddish in most pictures.

I absolutely love the Saxonia Thin in the first picture, but I agree the 1815's look better. I wonder how many white golds they sell for every rose gold Saxonia. It has to be 8 to 1.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike
Old 30 December 2020, 05:46 AM   #108
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That sounds right because "CO" was the earliest mark we saw on Lange cases. I think "FT" came next, and then "SUG," and then "db" more recently. I'm not sure if we still see "CO" and "FT" on newer Langes -- haven't looked into that.
I believe they still do show those; the person that told me about the hallmark has the newer version of the Lange 1, and his had "CO" on it.
Old 30 December 2020, 05:56 AM   #109
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wempe Leipzig?
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 05:59 AM   #110
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The J is the classic choice but I liked the R when trying them on. Not a big fan of the opaline dial of the J but I really liked the silver dial / red gold combination of the R. The G was a little disappointing compared to both. In the end I didn't pull the trigger on the R as I found it a little large on my small wrists given its fairly large and largely empty dial (for a 37mm watch).

When I accidentally ran into a preowned 3998P I had found the solution to my dress watch "problem". Small watch but no regrets many years later.
I agree about the G, and it's a shame because in photos it looks amazing and I think it's the one (perfect to me)...but in person it was a let down. I was so disappointed, but in a way I wasn't really ready to buy anyway, so I guess it worked out. Like I mentioned, maybe it was the store lighting, I need to re-evaluate when I get more serious about a 5196 purchase.

Both the J and R are better in person, but I prefer the lighter dial of the J for more contrast.
Old 30 December 2020, 06:06 AM   #111
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
Wempe Leipzig?
Apart in Galeria Mokotów in Warsaw.
mario1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 06:13 AM   #112
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apart in Galeria Mokotów in Warsaw.
Looked so similar and I tried on exactly those models there as well
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 06:14 AM   #113
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Mariusz,

These pictures are absolutely amazing!!! This is the first picture I've seen of the rose gold Saxonia Thin where the strap looks brown. For some reason they look reddish in most pictures.

I absolutely love the Saxonia Thin in the first picture, but I agree the 1815's look better. I wonder how many white golds they sell for every rose gold Saxonia. It has to be 8 to 1.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike
Mike, it's okay.

Before that, I also measured the VC Patrimony Traditionnelle in white gold, Rolex Celllini, Lange models, and various JLC, GP from the 1966 series and many, many other watches. It took many months in total, hence a large number of photos from the fittings.
Old 30 December 2020, 07:53 AM   #114
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

^ Yes, I like the Saxonia Auto (or is that the older hand wind?). The size is good and the added sub seconds nicely fills the dial. I like the (newer) hand wind too, but at 35mm it may be too small for me.

Also that VC is nice. I also tried on the RG version:

Old 30 December 2020, 11:07 AM   #115
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Mike, it's okay.

Before that, I also measured the VC Patrimony Traditionnelle in white gold, Rolex Celllini, Lange models, and various JLC, GP from the 1966 series and many, many other watches. It took many months in total, hence a large number of photos from the fittings.
Thanks for saying so! I feel so indecisive because of so many options. I'm glad that's typical. I'm really leaning towards the Lange Saxonia Thin at this point.
Old 30 December 2020, 11:20 AM   #116
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

Lange all day!
pkrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:04 PM   #117
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

CO=Centror (AP)
FT=Efteor
SUG=SUG (Sinn)
Mine ALS L1 is November 2020 AD stamps and has db. Great info, thanks for sharing.

I played earlier, but I’ll vote again for ALS.
illiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:21 PM   #118
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Always been a fan of that Lange.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:30 PM   #119
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Lange...not even close, landslide. Period.

This. Landslide. Get the Lange!

BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:31 PM   #120
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
I would say Lange. My uncle has a rose gold Cellini date, it’s a beautiful watch and finished very well, but a Lange is a Lange. The Cellini does have more water resistance and will most likely be able to take a bit more of a beating even though it’s a dress watch.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a. lange & sohne , cellini , dress watch , saxonia