The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 December 2021, 10:02 AM   #31
Rufoad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060m/124060
Keep the 114060 and like Pitbull sings: "I don't know about you, but I feel good"
Rufoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 10:17 AM   #32
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoloRonnie View Post
I have a Submariner (114060) that I purchased from an AD in January 2018. Other than work events where I'm cautious about "wearing a Rolex", it's pretty much been on my wrist non-stop. I was 40 years old at the time, but my purchase didn't signify anything in particular in my personal or professional life. No huge emotional attachment to the watch - but I'm the kind of person that likes to keep things for a long time. My intent / excuse in purchasing the watch the first time was to have one quality piece I could keep for decades, rather than buying / serving a series of lower quality watches.

I've loved the watch - it runs fast about 1 second per day. It's got scratches from everyday use, but has handled everything I've thrown at it and is in good shape. Previously, I gave some thought about maybe switching to a 5 digit Explorer II (Polar) (for something more under the radar), but think I'd miss the new bracelet and glidelock.

As I see it, the main changes for the new reference 124060 are the new movement, slimmer lugs, slightly bigger size, wider bracelet and wider clasp. The lugs on the maxi case 6 digit have never really bothered me all that much. It's kind of weird - I feel like they look worse in pictures (includes ones I'm in!) than they do in real life. That said, I do feel like the 124060 looks a little better (have not seen one in the flesh). I mostly notice the lugs on mine when it's OFF my wrist.

Regarding the movements, the 70 hour power reserve on the new one isn't that big of a deal to me given how often I wear my watch. Plus, with no date, it really takes no time to wind / set the watch if it runs down. I've read some complaints no the new movements - not sure if those have been worked out? The old one has obviously been solid for me (and for decades for others, apparently).

Question for you guys - is it worth upgrading to the new Submariner (124060)? Should I? My AD says he thinks he can get me one without too much trouble. Wondering if any of you have made the switch / how you feel about it now? Any regrets? Glad you did it? How is the new clasp? I do have a bigger wrist (over 7.5 inches) but do find the crown of my 114060 digs into my hand at times.

I'd appreciate any input!

From a purely “practical” standpoint, the others are correct ... no need to upgrade. But from my perspective, they are missing a CRITICAL reason ... get it because it’s a new watch!!!!!

I had the 114060 (purchased in January 2018) and loved it. But I now have (as of 5 days ago) the new 126610LV and I love it even more! Side note: if my AD couldn’t get me the LV I told him I wanted the 124060.

If you loved the Porsche 911 and owned one from 2018, wouldn’t you want the new one? H3ll yeah! I would! It is true, the new Sub IS BETTER than the 11_____ series. Just like he new 911 is better than the 991 and 991.2. Hey look almost identical to those not in the know. But to a Porsche fan ... they are different.

Your ND served you well. You will make money on it. What better way to part ways than to sell the old one, the profits will probably net you a few positive dollars (since you’ll get the new one from AD), and get the newest Sub?

I don’t mean to be condescending, but given those facts, it would be almost foolish not to.

Here,s a vid I just shot of my new sub and I compare it to my previous 114060 that gives greater detail that might help.

https://youtu.be/3O5EdLVmMUk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 10:34 AM   #33
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I like the new better as owner of both.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:27 PM   #34
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
From a purely “practical” standpoint, the others are correct ... no need to upgrade. But from my perspective, they are missing a CRITICAL reason ... get it because it’s a new watch!!!!!

I had the 114060 (purchased in January 2018) and loved it. But I now have (as of 5 days ago) the new 126610LV and I love it even more! Side note: if my AD couldn’t get me the LV I told him I wanted the 124060.

If you loved the Porsche 911 and owned one from 2018, wouldn’t you want the new one? H3ll yeah! I would! It is true, the new Sub IS BETTER than the 11_____ series. Just like he new 911 is better than the 991 and 991.2. Hey look almost identical to those not in the know. But to a Porsche fan ... they are different.

Your ND served you well. You will make money on it. What better way to part ways than to sell the old one, the profits will probably net you a few positive dollars (since you’ll get the new one from AD), and get the newest Sub?

I don’t mean to be condescending, but given those facts, it would be almost foolish not to.

Here,s a vid I just shot of my new sub and I compare it to my previous 114060 that gives greater detail that might help.

https://youtu.be/3O5EdLVmMUk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with everything you wrote, 100%.

At the end of the day it's just a watch, not a puppy that you raised from 8 weeks old and now have an opportunity to trade it in on a new one!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote