The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 April 2024, 12:45 PM   #1
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Roadmap to a Jumbo 16202 (Hopefully)

Hello!
I started my AP Journey 4 years ago with a 38mm ROC and proceeded to purchase a 41 ROC last year. Spoke with my SA and told them my grail piece would be the 16202st and she informed me it would be a good 5th watch — but I would need to add a code to my profile. With that being said, I told them I would love the CODE 15210QT and a 15510st as my 3rd and 4th watch and hopefully she could try and get me a 16202 after that as my fifth!
ROO’s are off the table as I have pretty slim wrists and my SA informed me that wouldn't be an issue and a code could do it.
I just wanted to get your insight as the SA was pretty honest by telling me how to get to a jumbo — was that the case for those of you who inquired or purchased one?
mms1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 06:41 PM   #2
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1998 View Post
…hopefully she could try and get me a 16202 after that as my fifth!?
You are be being played - lets be real. You are being asked to buy four watches, in order to potentially and without any kind of promise, get the opportunity to buy the watch you actually want
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 08:35 PM   #3
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
You are be being played - lets be real. You are being asked to buy four watches, in order to potentially and without any kind of promise, get the opportunity to buy the watch you actually want
While I do understand your point and I do agree that no one should buy pieces that they don’t like to get something they want— not even guaranteed. With that being said my next two watches are watches that I actually like and would love to add to my collection and my SA was kind of honest with me regarding that and I have declined some watches that did’t speak to me at all.I have had friends with the same journey that got the jumbo as their 5th or 6th watch.
Old 3 April 2024, 09:12 PM   #4
TNG
"TRF" Member

I think you should read that other guys thread about the Las Vegas dealership.
Know the game and risk you are playing.

EDIT: Here you go: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=938302
TNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 09:31 PM   #5
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

I have read his experience and it’s honestly awful on the SA’s part. I would actually never buy any watch I wouldn't want to own long term because if I was’t offered the jumbo or any other watch I want it wouldn’t mean I would be stuck with watches that I don’t actually like. But I think the code is a vital part of this journey and I hated the code when it first came out and also declined a few pieces last year but the newer versions look great specially the 15210QT steel/ceramic as it just speaks to me and the dial is mesmerizing— would be a lovely addition while I wait.
Old 3 April 2024, 09:47 PM   #6
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have read his experience and it’s honestly awful on the SA’s part. I would actually never buy any watch I wouldn't want to own long term because if I was’t offered the jumbo or any other watch I want it wouldn’t mean I would be stuck with watches that I don’t actually like. But I think the code is a vital part of this journey and I hated the code when it first came out and also declined a few pieces last year but the newer versions look great specially the 15210QT steel/ceramic as it just speaks to me and the dial is mesmerizing— would be a lovely addition while I wait.
Totally agree with your strategy. Buy only what you like and the 16202 will be allocated, a matter of time. But I assume it doesn't really matter as you are not buying for the sake of clocking purchases.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 09:53 PM   #7
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Good luck….
Old 3 April 2024, 09:53 PM   #8
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
Totally agree with your strategy. Buy only what you like and the 16202 will be allocated, a matter of time. But I assume it doesn't really matter as you are not buying for the sake of clocking purchases.
Exactly, If I was just buying random pieces that I don’t like just to get the jumbo I would've gone grey. But even after I acquire the jumbo there are other watches I’d like to purchase so building my profile with pieces I like should be the way to go— but I would never add anything I’m not 100% sure about at the end of the day it’s our hard earned money.
Old 3 April 2024, 10:00 PM   #9
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Good luck….
Thank you!
Old 3 April 2024, 11:56 PM   #10
jellie
"TRF" Member

The jumbo is my eventual goal but rather jump through all the hoops (I initially was planning on doing the 'journey') I'm considering going grey on the 15202 if the price keeps dropping
jellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 12:03 AM   #11
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

EDIT: Here you go: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=938302
This guy sold hot allocations in a hype market. Don't know what he expected
Old 4 April 2024, 12:04 AM   #12
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellie View Post
The jumbo is my eventual goal but rather jump through all the hoops (I initially was planning on doing the 'journey') I'm considering going grey on the 15202 if the price keeps dropping
To be honest I understand your point and at the current grey market prices it makes sense if you just want the jumbo or a few watches. But if you have other purchases or pieces you’d like to acquire from AP down the line trying to purchase from the boutique would be a better option.
Old 4 April 2024, 12:34 AM   #13
value.target
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, PP
My SA never says that. He said he wanted me to be happy with my watches. ONLY buy what you want!

Like other has said, no promises from your SA!

$30,000 for a CODE is not a small amount. You don't want to be unhappy with a watch you don't like and don't wear!

Be smart!
Old 4 April 2024, 12:43 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post

That’s your takeaway from this thread ? I’m honestly curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 12:58 AM   #15
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Dont need to rehash this but he didnt have any “hot allocations”. 3 Codes, Lady Gemset Bezel ROO, Boring Diver, Lady Music Edition. Good luck if you ever sell your Diver and Code I hope you being a huge AP fanboy pays off. I own one AP (15202BC) and glad I bought grey because 90% of their catalog is rubbish and what they expect you to spend to get anything decent is mind blowing.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 01:01 AM   #16
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by value.target View Post
My SA never says that. He said he wanted me to be happy with my watches. ONLY buy what you want!

Like other has said, no promises from your SA!

$30,000 for a CODE is not a small amount. You don't want to be unhappy with a watch you don't like and don't wear!

Be smart!
Exactly!
That’s why I declined a lot of pieces that didn't resonate with me— some being hot pieces. I asked for the 15210QT as its such a stunning watch that I could add to my collection while I wait along with the 15510st.
But for sure spending your hard earned money on watches you aren’t 100% sure about shouldn’t be encouraged and my SA never pressures me to do so.
At the end of the day your SA will try their best to get you what you want but if they aren’t able to do so you won’t be stuck with watches you hate.
Old 4 April 2024, 01:04 AM   #17
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Dont need to rehash this but he didnt have any “hot allocations”. 3 Codes, Lady Gemset Bezel ROO, Boring Diver, Lady Music Edition. Good luck if you ever sell your Diver and Code I hope you being a huge AP fanboy pays off. I own one AP (15202BC) and glad I bought grey because 90% of their catalog is rubbish and what they expect you to spend to get anything decent is mind blowing.
I totally agree with you!
Old 4 April 2024, 01:29 AM   #18
adi365
"TRF" Member

Good luck!

My SA offered me a jumbo, unfortunately it is beyond my budget. I bought 3 APs previously.
adi365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 01:32 AM   #19
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi365 View Post
Good luck!

My SA offered me a jumbo, unfortunately it is beyond my budget. I bought 3 APs previously.
Thanks!
Was it offered to you recently? Or before the watch market craze.
Old 4 April 2024, 01:33 AM   #20
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
i totally agree with you!
+1
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 02:04 AM   #21
adi365
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks!
Was it offered to you recently? Or before the watch market craze.
Just a few months ago...
adi365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 02:05 AM   #22
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello!
I started my AP Journey 4 years ago with a 38mm ROC and proceeded to purchase a 41 ROC last year. Spoke with my SA and told them my grail piece would be the 16202st and she informed me it would be a good 5th watch — but I would need to add a code to my profile. With that being said, I told them I would love the CODE 15210QT and a 15510st as my 3rd and 4th watch and hopefully she could try and get me a 16202 after that as my fifth!
ROO’s are off the table as I have pretty slim wrists and my SA informed me that wouldn't be an issue and a code could do it.
I just wanted to get your insight as the SA was pretty honest by telling me how to get to a jumbo — was that the case for those of you who inquired or purchased one?
Everything you wrote hang together IF you truly understand, in both your brain and your heart, that there is ZERO guarantee that they will ever sell you a Jumbo no matter what else you buy.

If you buy in that spirit -- fine. But if you are putting weight into what the SA said, you're making a mistake. For a variety of reasons including the impact of potential personnel changes at the dealer, changes in allocations from AP to the dealer, changes to how involved AP gets in who gets Jumbos, etc etc.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 02:06 AM   #23
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi365 View Post
Just a few months ago...
Oh so fairly recent. Would you mind sharing what three pieces you acquired before being offered the jumbo?
Old 4 April 2024, 02:13 AM   #24
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
Everything you wrote hang together IF you truly understand, in both your brain and your heart, that there is ZERO guarantee that they will ever sell you a Jumbo no matter what else you buy.

If you buy in that spirit -- fine. But if you are putting weight into what the SA said, you're making a mistake. For a variety of reasons including the impact of potential personnel changes at the dealer, changes in allocations from AP to the dealer, changes to how involved AP gets in who gets Jumbos, etc etc.
Well said, nothing is guaranteed and at the end of the day your SA is trying to sell pieces so might as well just buy what you like.
Old 4 April 2024, 02:28 AM   #25
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Leaving out the two 50th anniversary ROs he got. Not to mention that more than half the story was missing in that tale of woe.

AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 07:09 AM   #26
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Leaving out the two 50th anniversary ROs he got. Not to mention that more than half the story was missing in that tale of woe.
I hope you send all your undying loyalty posts to your SA and it gets you very far. This whole 50th anniversary Nascar looking rotor was a joke as well. Nobody cares if the watch has a 50th rotor or the year after as these references are still produced. He got a friggen 37mm and 41mm RO after spending hundreds of thousands on garbage so please stop insulting our intelligence

Old 4 April 2024, 07:24 AM   #27
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hope you send all your undying loyalty posts to your SA and it gets you very far. This whole 50th anniversary Nascar looking rotor was a joke as well. Nobody cares if the watch has a 50th rotor or the year after as these references are still produced. He got a friggen 37mm and 41mm RO after spending hundreds of thousands on garbage so please stop insulting our intelligence
Headline: Dude buys things he doesn't want, surprised he doesn't want what he got.

He got some pretty incredible CODEs that require corporate approval to get.

AP even offered a 41 chrono green dial to the guy as an olive branch AFTER he sold allocations during a period where even some CODEs were trading above retail!

Buy what you want and you won't be disappointed with your journey.
Old 4 April 2024, 07:37 AM   #28
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Headline: Dude buys things he doesn't want, surprised he doesn't want what he got.

He got some pretty incredible CODEs that require corporate approval to get.

AP even offered a 41 chrono green dial to the guy as an olive branch AFTER he sold allocations during a period where even some CODEs were trading above retail!

Buy what you want and you won't be disappointed with your journey.
Codes NEVER traded above retail so please do your homework as you sound ridiculous. And you AP fanboys were killing the guy even after he turned down a 41mm Green ROC which frankly I think is a very mediocre reference as well. It is a very underwhelming green/black depending on lighting

Old 4 April 2024, 07:39 AM   #29
PP&AP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15407
It's wild how people jump into these threads acting like every SA is a scam artist. The quality of your SA really seems to dictate whether people have a positive or negative view of the brand.

The OP said they like both of those watches, and if that's true, then it makes sense to buy them from the SA and likely get a jumbo in the process (maybe some nice event invites too). If they don't like them, or just want a jumbo immediately, then it makes a lot more sense to go grey as others have suggested.

OP - try the 15210Q on. It's very light, which is something I really like about it, though not everyone does.
Old 4 April 2024, 08:56 AM   #30
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

I see you are from Dubai .. ...Be cautious.. and keep your hopes low..

Im from Dubai and was told by AP boutique the Jumbo would be a good 7th watch
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote