The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 13 February 2013, 01:36 AM   #1
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
Day-Date Moisture Issue... Possible Buyer Beware

I have two basic issues, and trust me when I say the starting of this thread was a last resort. I made, what is for me, a considerable investment into a timepiece some months back. Here's a pic of the 18238 just after I received it.

For the most part, everything appeared to be in order. The band had a touch more stretch than I anticipated (since he was very adamant about how little there was) and the clasp was raised a bit when on the wrist. There was also a bit of a ding on the bracelet, but all things considered I just told myself that the watch was 20'ish years old and I'd paid far less than what a new DD would cost. So, for the sake of being reasonable and tempering expectations, I called it good and set about wearing the piece.

However, the first time I took the watch out (only 2 days later) I looked down in disbelief to see the crystal fogged to the point I couldn't even read the time. I took this pic with my phone and immediately sent it to the seller.

Hey ______, we have an issue. There's fog/moisture inside the watch.

Sent from my iPhone

I got the following reply which I have not altered in any way other than removing his name and number again...

Hi Gabe! No biggie.. thats a typical 123 $20 reseal from any watchmaker.. call me anytime at *** *** ****
On Oct 20, 2012, at 11:50 AM, G. Dyes wrote:

<photo.JPG>

Sent from my iPhone

While I appreciated his offer to call, given the amount of money and the issue at hand, I wanted to keep everything in writing so there was no mis-communication. The problem is, that's when he stopped any and all communication. He was prompt in replies to emails to that point, but there's been nothing from him since. I sent this reply...

_____, I appreciate the offer to call. For now, I need to email. My concern is that it doesn't fog up until I wear it and there's a temperature change which brings the moisture up to the crystal. After I take it off and set it down the moisture will dissipate from the crystal, but it takes some time to do so and it's settling back into, among other things, the movement. I'm not sure it needs a new seal, but I am sure that it has moisture inside of it, and I have no idea how long it's been in there prior to my acquisition. You and I both know moisture inside these piece=bad news. Please understand that I'm in no way assigning ill-intent on you or your company's part. I didn't notice the issue either until wearing it and I understand the watch probably has not been worn in some time. The other thing that concerned me was after I took the watch off and could actually read it again (it fogged up to the point I couldn't), the date had flipped back to the 19 and when I originally put it on that morning it was on the 20. Let me know what you're thinking we need to do.

Best,
Gable

Again, I received no reply so I sent this...

_____, I need an answer via email (so there's no confusion on either side) as to what you want me to do with the watch. I can't read it due to the fogging up, and I have concerns as to how long this has been going on and about moisture in the movement. Also, the date wheel does not line up properly within the window. I would take a picture, but you wouldn't be able to tell anything because the watch is fogged up now just from me walking outside with it. I do not live in a town in RSC or a Rolex Repair Professional. I would have to send the watch off, wait for a quote to repair, and then coordinate with you on the payment. That's more than I was bargaining for when I made the purchase. Please advise.

Significant time has passed and the seller is active on this forum. I do not wish to tarnish a man's livelihood if he's missed my emails by some remote chance, but I'd also want someone to tell me if they were having this issue with a seller and I was considering a buy. In fact, what drew me off the sidelines was a newer member who requested references for the seller. I'd like some opinions from members and mods as to how to proceed, and I thank you all in advance for helping me on both the technical and community aspects of this. If the mods would like any further information to confirm my end of this, I'm more than willing to provide.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 01:42 AM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
i would not be pleased. not sure if i missed it, but i can't see how long this has been going on for.

i would share this thread with him and let him know that if the situation is not resolved asap, you will have to post in "watch out" section.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 01:46 AM   #3
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Post in the Who's Who or Watch Out sections here on TRF if you don't get a reasonable resolution to this.
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 01:47 AM   #4
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I know you'd like to keep everything through email and understand why, but have you tried calling since he hasn't responded through email?
I assume you found the seller through the forums?
Old 13 February 2013, 01:49 AM   #5
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Sounds like you have a bad gasket. Unlikely the seller wouldn't have known about it. If it wasn't revealed, I'd have asked for a refund immediately.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
You should definitely let us know who this seller is if he refuses to provide and post purchase service. Any good seller backs his product...
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 02:01 AM   #7
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
I know you'd like to keep everything through email and understand why, but have you tried calling since he hasn't responded through email?
I assume you found the seller through the forums?
I've contemplated that, but it would only serve to muddy the waters since it could easily turn into a he said/he said. At this point I'm glad I didn't give into the inclination since I can plead my case in black and white.
In search of DayDate
Old 13 February 2013, 02:03 AM   #8
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
i would not be pleased. not sure if i missed it, but i can't see how long this has been going on for.

i would share this thread with him and let him know that if the situation is not resolved asap, you will have to post in "watch out" section.
I purchased the watch and received it Oct. 18. I sent him the initial email about a problem on the 20th. I've sent the other emails in the months since.
In search of DayDate
Old 13 February 2013, 02:18 AM   #9
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
Definitely pull the crown and have someone remove the caseback to air out the moisture. prevent further possible issues incase this seller refuses to respond.. sorry about this turn of events.
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 02:21 AM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozn1 View Post
I purchased the watch and received it Oct. 18. I sent him the initial email about a problem on the 20th. I've sent the other emails in the months since.
Have you had the caseback open since then, I mean it's February now?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 02:31 AM   #11
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
moisture is really bad news...

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
I assume you ve the sellers authorization to get open the watch ,
let s make it happen .

You may can email to the seller you wish full refund if any trace of moisture in the mvmnt or on the dial ,at least i d do so.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 02:45 AM   #13
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFZ4 View Post
moisture is really bad news...
Tell me about it, I had to do a heart transplant because I waited too long.
Old 13 February 2013, 03:00 AM   #14
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Call the seller, and get a refund. However may be too late now..
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 03:04 AM   #15
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Tell me about, I had to do a heart transplant because I waited too long.
yup, usually the balance is most affected by moisture.

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 03:06 AM   #16
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFZ4 View Post
yup, usually the balance is most affected by moisture.
It was beyond repair when we popped the case back.
Old 13 February 2013, 03:46 AM   #17
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
I assume you ve the sellers authorization to get open the watch ,
let s make it happen .

You may can email to the seller you wish full refund if any trace of moisture in the mvmnt or on the dial ,at least i d do so.
I'm not sure where you're getting those assumptions from, but I've not gotten anything from the seller. The last thing I want to do is tamper with the watch and him cry foul.

Regarding the time that's passed, it doesn't really matter since I've got my emails showing I both alerted him to the problem in a timely manner, and he's failed to make it whole.
In search of DayDate
Old 13 February 2013, 04:17 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozn1 View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting those assumptions from, but I've not gotten anything from the seller. The last thing I want to do is tamper with the watch and him cry foul.

Regarding the time that's passed, it doesn't really matter since I've got my emails showing I both alerted him to the problem in a timely manner, and he's failed to make it whole.
Condensation on the inside of the glass is generally an indication that there may be a problem how was watch stored before you started wearing. However,sometimes condensation will quite normally occur when any warm watch is suddenly exposed to a cold environment i.e. if you enter cold air or water on a warm day or visa versa. In normal circumstances this will appear as a very fine mist and should disappear in a minute or so when the watch warms up. This is quite normal as the air trapped inside your watch will have a small amount of water vapour as its just like normal humidity in the atmosphere,especially if its been serviced in say a humid place.But if the misting disappears quickly all should be fine and I would not worry too much. Now if the misting appears as clearly definable droplets of water and does not clear quickly when warm, then it signifies that water has entered the case.Now this will NOT evaporate of its own accord and will need to be removed then afraid its off to the RSC as soon as possible.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 04:49 AM   #19
krlyuzh
2024 Pledge Member

I think the issue is a lot more pressing than taking almost 2.5 months to really start doing something about it but I hope you and the seller work it out.

I sent you a PM with some advice.
krlyuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 05:56 AM   #20
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Condensation on the inside of the glass is generally an indication that there may be a problem how was watch stored before you started wearing. However,sometimes condensation will quite normally occur when any warm watch is suddenly exposed to a cold environment i.e. if you enter cold air or water on a warm day or visa versa. In normal circumstances this will appear as a very fine mist and should disappear in a minute or so when the watch warms up. This is quite normal as the air trapped inside your watch will have a small amount of water vapour as its just like normal humidity in the atmosphere,especially if its been serviced in say a humid place.But if the misting disappears quickly all should be fine and I would not worry too much. Now if the misting appears as clearly definable droplets of water and does not clear quickly when warm, then it signifies that water has entered the case.Now this will NOT evaporate of its own accord and will need to be removed then afraid its off to the RSC as soon as possible.
I appreciate your expertise and the response. I know just enough about moisture to make me dangerous. I own an HVAC company in Georgia, and a lot of what I fight in homes is the discomfort caused by humidity. I know it's not the same thing in its entirety, but I understand the principles behind dewpoint, temp change, etc. This is why the time for the moisture to dissipate from the crystal concerned me.
In search of DayDate
Old 13 February 2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krlyuzh View Post
I think the issue is a lot more pressing than taking almost 2.5 months to really start doing something about it but I hope you and the seller work it out.

I sent you a PM with some advice.
I appreciate the PM and replied. Every part of my being was hoping it wouldn't come to this point, but it's not been 2.5 months of inactivity. It's just taken me that long to bring it here. Partially to reinforce what I've seen in the research about the moisture (but with pics of my actual watch so I can get more detailed advice), and also to try and bring the seller to his senses, I'll freely admit.
In search of DayDate
Old 13 February 2013, 07:09 AM   #22
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
I think the TRF community would be interested at some point in who to deal with and who doesn't live up to the high standards of trusted sellers here.
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

I hope This situation gets rectified immediately.
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 07:34 AM   #24
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post
I think the TRF community would be interested at some point in who to deal with and who doesn't live up to the high standards of trusted sellers here.
x2, time to name the seller.
Old 13 February 2013, 07:50 AM   #25
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

$20 reseal job ?

I hope you just don't do that. That quick fix is what kills this hobby. Nowaday, some people will just do that so they can move the watch without spending alot of money. The unsuspecting buyer inherits a time bomb imho...

Moisture will do damage to not only the hands but other mechanical parts. A complete service or at least disassemble and oil is in order. ..

Good luck with it however it turns out between you and the seller.

BTW: This isn't anything like the DD that you sold couple years back.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 07:55 AM   #26
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
x2, time to name the seller.
I've attempted one final correspondence. If I don't have an answer shortly, I'll name the seller.
In search of DayDate
Old 13 February 2013, 08:01 AM   #27
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWatch View Post
I hope you just don't do that. That quick fix is what kills this hobby. Nowaday, some people will just do that so they can move the watch without spending alot of money. The unsuspecting buyer inherits a time bomb imho...

Moisture will do damage to not only the hands but other mechanical parts. A complete service or at least disassemble and oil is in order. ..

Good luck with it however it turns out between you and the seller.

BTW: This isn't anything like the DD that you sold couple years back.
No, I don't buy that at all. There's no way in hell I'd let a local yocal touch a DD, and anyone who knows what they are doing won't look at anything for that menial amount of money. And his suggestion of it left me very, very uneasy given the fact he touted the watch as "100% Rolex" in the ad.

And regarding the last sentence... sorry I've let you down on the DD selection :-/
In search of DayDate
Old 13 February 2013, 10:13 AM   #28
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

The seller and I are in contact and it's entirely possible at this point he had a valid excuse for the lack of communication. Again, I appreciate the replies and as details which might affect the community come forth, I promise to relay them.
In search of DayDate
Old 13 February 2013, 11:16 AM   #29
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
The seller exaggerated the tightness of the band, then tried to throw you a bone by saying that moisture inside is no big deal and any watch maker will fix for $20. The disappears for almost 4 months?

I'd like to know the name of this seller to prevent buying from him. Sounds like someone I would not like to do business with.
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 11:29 AM   #30
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuloa View Post
The seller exaggerated the tightness of the band, then tried to throw you a bone by saying that moisture inside is no big deal and any watch maker will fix for $20. The disappears for almost 4 months?

I'd like to know the name of this seller to prevent buying from him. Sounds like someone I would not like to do business with.
X2... The seller should be named!!! It's great that NOW u will be made whole because the guy doesn't want his name ruined... What will happen to the next buyer?? U went public to help yourself... Now do the Right thing And help every one else!!
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daneebee