The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 7 April 2020, 01:16 AM   #661
gold&black
"TRF" Member

Talking to a friend of mine who runs a grey and for sure prices will be coming down much lower. A good time to buy, but not to sell he said!
Old 7 April 2020, 01:35 AM   #662
walds11
"TRF" Member

What an entertaining thread. IBTL...
Old 7 April 2020, 01:53 AM   #663
Low-Key
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
what an entertaining thread. Ibtl...
+1
Old 7 April 2020, 02:12 AM   #664
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
So when grays take advantage of a tightening market, they're savvy capitalists participating in the free-market economy.

When buyers call attention to the softening market--which was partially tightened by the grays artificially--they're vultures.

Cool.
Well said. The hypocrisy is so blatant. How anyone sentient can find it persuasive is beyond me.
Old 7 April 2020, 03:21 AM   #665
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Absolutely, and we’re hungry for msrp!

You’re on a luxury watch forum. What did you expect?

I feel like the people that thought this day would never come seem utterly shocked it’s coming so quickly and swiftly.

Most people were smart enough to know a 17k watch that was 9.7k msrp wouldn’t hold
Let me decode that for you. You were talking to someone who just bought a few high ticket watches at over MSRP just before all of this started to go down. Get it?

Those are most of the posters displaying that vehemence. Follow the money...

I have no dog in this fight. Carry on the discussion forum discussions
Old 7 April 2020, 03:28 AM   #666
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

It's just buyers feeling butt hurt because they chose to buy a product above MSRP. And at the time they justified it was a "smart" buy. Now they are in denial.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 7 April 2020, 03:31 AM   #667
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
That was probably one of the best spin jobs I’ve seen in a while. Have you considered working for CNN?
Your see-how-slick-I-am political posts are getting stale. Get a new schtick, no one cares about your political motivations one way or the other.
Old 7 April 2020, 03:38 AM   #668
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Let me decode that for you. You were talking to someone who just bought a few high ticket watches at over MSRP just before all of this started to go down. Get it?

Those are most of the posters displaying that vehemence. Follow the money...

I have no dog in this fight. Carry on the discussion forum discussions

Old 7 April 2020, 03:40 AM   #669
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Except they're not. One is associated with exploiting for some kind of tangible gain, and the other is mainly, if not completely, emotional.
Don’t look for nuance there. You won’t find it. Thread derailment is his specialty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
The two words are practically synonymous but don’t worry about it. I just wanted to get back to you because you asked. I’ll be done with this thread since I’ve been called sanctimonious and a troll. You have a great evening as well.
Is that a punishment or a gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Lol please don't encourage Patton to post more of his non-sense. He prob has tons of friends that are grey dealers or are being paid by them to troll
Old 7 April 2020, 03:42 AM   #670
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Serious question, why are some people mad at the Greys? It’s capitalism baby, I love it. The issue is that (no offense) there are actually so many people that would pay double the MSRP. We the consumer control the price. Not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 April 2020, 04:01 AM   #671
scottwmitch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9nineteen View Post
Serious question, why are some people mad at the Greys? It’s capitalism baby, I love it. The issue is that (no offense) there are actually so many people that would pay double the MSRP. We the consumer control the price. Not the other way around.

This.
Old 7 April 2020, 04:06 AM   #672
crash_c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
“ If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”
- Raylen Givens, Justified
I love this! Ha!
Old 7 April 2020, 04:10 AM   #673
SN13
"TRF" Member

I notice Not One of the "ALL IS WELL" supporters are rushing out to offer $19k for the White Daytona or $12k for that HULK that are "ALWAYS" going to be over msrp....

Why not?

Put your money where your mouth is.... Talk is cheap.... Spend your dollars if you think they're only going UP UP UP!

Oh? What's that? Doubt?

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
Old 7 April 2020, 04:11 AM   #674
Mervynilous
"TRF" Member

The controversy isn't really anger at grays. It's being told by some that movement toward it being a buyer's market is somehow making buyers vultures. I think most of us here understand that capitalism is a pendulum swinging between buyer's markets and seller's markets.
Old 7 April 2020, 04:15 AM   #675
dragos.i
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9nineteen View Post

I, for one, am mad at the greys because some (most?) have backdoor deals with ADs, so stock shows up directly at the greys and buyers don't get the chance to buy MSRP.
Of course, I'm even more mad at the ADs that allow this.
Old 7 April 2020, 04:16 AM   #676
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I can’t believe people want to say ‘oh this guy who is selling his ten thousand dollar watch STILL above MSRP is a *sad* story’. What kind of sympathetic world are you living in? How about actual individuals who were barely making ends meet and now can’t pay rent? How about those with a positive COVID diagnosis fighting to get a ventilator in current climate? How about the worldwide problems that existed with children dying from starvation before any of this even started?

But you think some guy who has $15k in excess to throw on a luxury product taking a small hit (albeit STILL above what it sells for in stores) is a ‘sad’ story? Unreal, at times I feel some on here never leave their McMansion.
Can always count on you to be the voice of reason brother.

We are all very lucky to have any bandwidth in this climate to be thinking about watches, much less a guy holding a Pepsi he’s trying to hock online. Seems to me we’ve lost sight of the forest for the trees.

It’s the mindset of a someone who just bought a couple PPs at a premium (no dog in this fight doesn’t affect me at all), imagine what’s ‘sad’ to him and then look at the posts, and perhaps it becomes less unbelievable.

Unfortunately most of the guys reading these posts are unaware of where the posters are actually coming from, and take the posts at face value, and I see threads get derailed as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I would like to see SS models at MSRP and AVAILABLE, be able to walk in to an AD and purchase whatever you want. I don’t think it will happen anytime soon, but having a buyers market would be a nice change for Rolex products. Please note: I do not make any reference to the current health crisis, I am just saying it would be nice to be able to walk in and purchase a Rolex at MSRP, NOT that we should all be glad hard economic times are ahead.
More power to you Paul, I’m not knocking any WIS (don’t hear that term much anymore do we...) wanting to get what they want everyone is going to be looking for silver linings in the disastrous times we are living in.
Old 7 April 2020, 04:21 AM   #677
SN13
"TRF" Member

Am I angry at Greys? Nope.

I think they did exactly the right thing offering $15k on a $13k watch and reselling for $17k and chasing that all the way up to $29k for the White Daytona C.

I patiently waited and bought TWO PM pieces instead of SS pieces (That would have cost more than the GOLD ones?.... LOL)....

So now that i've waited and watched, I'm definitely going to take advantage of the discounts that are coming.

Prices have been softening since SUMMER 2019. Pre-Covid.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
Old 7 April 2020, 04:30 AM   #678
Cool watch
Banned

So let me get this straight...

The actors selling something at 2x MSRP aren't rapacious or vultures, but the folks wanting to pay MSRP are?

The irony is stupefying.
Old 7 April 2020, 04:36 AM   #679
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool watch View Post
So let me get this straight...

The actors selling something at 2x MSRP aren't rapacious or vultures, but the folks wanting to pay MSRP are?

The irony is stupefying.
Thank you, friend. I'm still flummoxed as to why I received an infraction for calling out this hypocrisy. Mystro subsequently referred to TRF members with lower post counts as "fleas" (post #655). Seems like name-calling to me.
Old 7 April 2020, 04:36 AM   #680
640ibimmerguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn13 View Post
i notice not one of the "all is well" supporters are rushing out to offer $19k for the white daytona or $12k for that hulk that are "always" going to be over msrp....

Why not?

Put your money where your mouth is.... Talk is cheap.... Spend your dollars if you think they're only going up up up!

Oh? What's that? Doubt?
ha!
Old 7 April 2020, 04:37 AM   #681
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Grays sponsor these forums. I’m not surprised to see hostility toward anyone criticizing them. I’m actually surprised that criticism is allowed at all.
Old 7 April 2020, 04:52 AM   #682
Cool watch
Banned

Quote:
Thank you, friend. I'm still flummoxed as to why I received an infraction for calling out this hypocrisy. Mystro subsequently referred to TRF members with lower post counts as "fleas" (post #655). Seems like name-calling to me.
I've already put him on my ignore list. It's absolutely disgusting that he lacks any manners at all and resorts to name calling. I cringe anytime he or a few others are quoted.

As an enthusiast of something, one should be excited that more people can jump on board and spread the joy, yet the opposite seems to be true by a few of our members that lack civility.
In my case, I've got a SubC and a DJ 41 Wimbledon.
I hate the fact that my fellow members can't get this and the only options they've had over the past few years is either a rapacious actors or a crooked/slimy AD they have to deal with in their neck of the woods. (Trust me, not all A.D.'s are alike)

All I see is petulance and something akin to pulling the ladder up on the tree house by a snotty, pathetic child, who doesn't even own the damn tree house.
Old 7 April 2020, 05:06 AM   #683
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

Makes sense that we like the option for Grey's when supply is high and they sell below MSRP

And hate them for buying up all inventory when supply is low and selling above MSRP.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 7 April 2020, 05:11 AM   #684
ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO
"TRF" Member

I clicked 3 pages back and didn't find today's price other than bickering over grey dealers and vultures. All boats rise with the tide.

Back to the topic-- what's today's price movement?
Old 7 April 2020, 05:33 AM   #685
andrea_ssss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Many people on this thread are butthurt^ over their introduction to capitalism. It’s binary. There are winners and losers. It’s been a bull market for 4 plus years on the grey scene and Ads who forced package deals on buyers or sold out the backdoor to greys.

The douchebaggery on the Ad scene in particular has been incredible since the boom. Sales reps laughing at you or not giving customers the time of day because it was a hot market and they didn’t need you. The party is over.

They’ve killed it and made a ton of money. Now their sun is setting. It’ll rise again one day again. It’s all cyclical and market corrections are guaranteed.

Everyone needs to put on their big boy dockers and realize the reality of the free market versus soap box monologues on ethics and “the angerrrrr.” Toughen up and get with the program. This is the free market.

Those who have waited patiently for their shot at a hard to get watch is coming and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Have to agree there. Everyone in their right mind knew that however great Rolex watches are, this trend wouldn't be everlasting
Old 7 April 2020, 05:37 AM   #686
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO View Post
I clicked 3 pages back and didn't find today's price other than bickering over grey dealers and vultures. All boats rise with the tide.

No kidding. Cease fire boys :)
Old 7 April 2020, 05:53 AM   #687
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO View Post

$20,475 - Black
$22,325 - White

New/Unworn. USA. Dealers. 116500

Old 7 April 2020, 05:55 AM   #688
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
Lots of people still buying if the prices are holding

Old 7 April 2020, 06:05 AM   #689
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

It seems with so many having all this extra time on their hands, the negativity is only increasing.
Maybe it's due to being pent up inside, maybe it's due to extenuating circumstances?! We are all, to one extent or another, in this together.
Why there seems to be need however, to force ones view over another, with complete tunnel vision, and poor communication skills (along with those who seem against 'the establishment'/perceived conspiracy), have lost their common decency.
I would expect better in times like these, but it seems even on a luxury watch forum, we have no respect for others.
Perhaps the pandemic is exactly what is needed? I say that with a heavy heart!

Start showing some respect for other people, or there will be cancelations in memberships of those who wish to continue their negativity, continue.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
Old 7 April 2020, 06:07 PM   #690
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
It seems with so many having all this extra time on their hands, the negativity is only increasing.
Maybe it's due to being pent up inside, maybe it's due to extenuating circumstances?! We are all, to one extent or another, in this together.
Why there seems to be need however, to force ones view over another, with complete tunnel vision, and poor communication skills (along with those who seem against 'the establishment'/perceived conspiracy), have lost their common decency.
I would expect better in times like these, but it seems even on a luxury watch forum, we have no respect for others.
Perhaps the pandemic is exactly what is needed? I say that with a heavy heart!

Start showing some respect for other people, or there will be cancelations in memberships of those who wish to continue their negativity, continue.
Have to agree Rob some in this thread should remember, the most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Closed Thread