The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 September 2017, 07:47 AM   #1
weeone
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO 37.5
[Omega] Seamaster Planet Ocean 37.5mm | Six Months on the Wrist

Hello TRF and thank you for visiting.

I've had my Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 37.5mm for about six months now. I wanted to share some of my thoughts, both good and not so good.

We'll start with the "not so good".

1. Thickness. OK, so it's a PO. Depth rating of 600m/1000ft. What did I expect? With the thickness, comes weight. It definitely has wrist presence.
2. Tiny date window. This kept me from purchasing the 37.5mm for about a year, believe it or not. It would have been nice to see a larger date window (maybe to match the 6, 9, and 12 indices). I'm sure it has to do with the movement size, but regardless it's a gripe.
3. Lume. I have read about how great the lume is on the PO. Perhaps these reviews came from my 37.5mm's bigger cousins. The lume itself is bright (when first activated) but quickly fades. My guess is due to the smaller lume plots (smaller watch), there's just not enough surface area to hold that charge.

Onto the good.

1. Overall aesthetic. I have an affinity for white and silver things. I feel it's a simplistic and feminine design [completely subjective and certainly men with smaller wrists could pull this off].
2. Lume. How can this be both good and bad? While it may not have the most generous-sized lume plots, I love the contrast of the green minute hand and bezel pip against the blue of the hour hand and rest of the indices. Also, when it is freshly "charged", it is bright!
3. Size. I am a woman with 6" wrists and tend to like the look of bigger, masculine men's watches. With the 37.5mm PO, I get a similar look with dimensions that suit me.
4. Exhibition caseback. I am fascinated by the fact that my movement powers my watch. I know some say it's silly to have a display back on a diver but I disagree. While I may not look at it everyday, it's neat knowing that I can catch a glimpse (or downright stare) inside the beautiful detail that is the Omega caliber 8520.
5. Comfort. While I wrote (complained?) about its thickness and overall weight, the smooth edges of the case and bracelet, coupled with a well-balanced feel, ultimately leads to comfort on the wrist.
6. Legibility. The sapphire glass with double AR coating makes the silver on white a breeze to read, in any lighting condition. It's as if there's no glass.
7. Bezel action. What a great feel. I time things daily (grilling, walks, etc.) and the action is smooth with a satisfying "click".
8. Case design. This is one that took me time to appreciate. I still enjoy researching watches, reading blogs, looking at pictures, etc. and I can't help but be enamored by Omega's case designs. Specifically on the PO, the twisting lugs, crisp brushed and polished finishes, even the flow around the crown and helium escape valve.
9. Crown (and helium escape valve). The crown is just perfect. It's oversized (in my opinion) making it perfect-sized for the chunky Planet Ocean. The embossed Omega logo atop the bead blasted finish, lovely. I particularly like that they used the periodic "He" for the helium escape valve.
10. Date. Even though I listed it before, the added complication is a welcome addition. Even though it's tiny, legibility has not been a concern.

Hope you enjoyed. Thank you again for visiting. Feel free to leave your questions, comments, or criticisms.

For more pictures, please see my "gallery" thread found here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=527901
Old 30 September 2017, 10:29 PM   #2
Maxtor
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Great review. Thanks for sharing.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 06:19 AM   #3
weeone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtor View Post
Great review. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! You're very welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed.
Old 24 January 2018, 03:55 AM   #4
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
This review has caused a great deal of concern for me. I showed the pictures to my daughter whom I promised a good watch at some point in her life. Now this is what she wants. I think it’s gorgeous and I thank you for posting this review. Your other photos are great as well!!
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 05:36 AM   #5
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I caved in to my daughter. It’s a tradition to get a good watch when you turn 18 around here. Your review and pictorial inspired me to get this for her. Thanks for your great photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A8B71043-CF58-4B41-8ABC-2BE5BC946C90.jpeg (140.4 KB, 362 views)
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 02:15 AM   #6
weeone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeRookie View Post
I caved in to my daughter. It’s a tradition to get a good watch when you turn 18 around here. Your review and pictorial inspired me to get this for her. Thanks for your great photos!
Hello! Didn't mean to cause you a great deal of concern but I'm very happy to hear the outcome! What a beautiful piece to celebrate your daughter's 18th birthday. I'm so glad I could have a hand in your decision. I hope she enjoys and wears it in good health. Thank you for the wrist shot too, fits her wonderfully!
Old 15 February 2018, 02:18 AM   #7
MylesFalkingham
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 2
Nice watch
MylesFalkingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 01:47 PM   #8
weeone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesFalkingham View Post
Nice watch
Thank you!
Old 16 March 2018, 05:43 AM   #9
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Watch: 214270
really nice review. 37.5mm is quite complimentary to most wrist shapes and sizes.
Wembleyisgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 09:00 PM   #10
Bgator
2024 Pledge Member

Great review.

I’d be interested to hear how you think this compares to your YM in terms of features, wearability, etc.
Bgator is offline   Reply With Quote