The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 17 February 2020, 11:25 AM   #1
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Has anyone sold to or received a quote from WatchBox or similar?

I am just wondering if it’s even worth pursuing a quote. Does anyone know if they offer reasonable prices compared to market value? Or is it not even worth pursuing? On one hand, it seems like a fairly painless process and I like the idea of not having to deal with the risk of selling person to person.

On the other hand, when I have tried to sell used musical gear to these types of buyers, they have always been incredibly low. Like laughably, not even close to reasonable. Granted, it’s a completely different market.

I understand they are resellers and need to make a profit, I just don’t know if they completely lowball. Thanks!
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:30 AM   #2
Tolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
I am just wondering if it’s even worth pursuing a quote. Does anyone know if they offer reasonable prices compared to market value? Or is it not even worth pursuing? On one hand, it seems like a fairly painless process and I like the idea of not having to deal with the risk of selling person to person.

On the other hand, when I have tried to sell used musical gear to these types of buyers, they have always been incredibly low. Like laughably, not even close to reasonable. Granted, it’s a completely different market.

I understand they are resellers and need to make a profit, I just don’t know if they completely lowball. Thanks!
From my personal experience, they gave a reasonable quote, and asked me to go down to their offices to pass over the watch for inspection. A day later, they lowered the quote down - from an initial offer of 6k, down to 5k.

Their explanation - there are 3 dings and a few scratches on the watch which will make it tough to resell.

The whole thing just had a used car salesman vibe to me, it felt deceptive.
Tolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:34 AM   #3
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolex View Post
From my personal experience, they gave a reasonable quote, and asked me to go down to their offices to pass over the watch for inspection. A day later, they lowered the quote down - from an initial offer of 6k, down to 5k.

Their explanation - there are 3 dings and a few scratches on the watch which will make it tough to resell.

Yeah, that’s another good concern, that they will quote me high and then drop it significantly.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:34 AM   #4
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
They are reputable but you will be low-balled. Might want to also consider some others as well as a benchmark. I recently had a positive experience with Bob’s Rolex.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:35 AM   #5
RCrusoe
"TRF" Member

I've dealt with grey dealers before and when you're looking for a watch it's always "in demand and will command a premium and a few scratches here and there shouldn't matter" and when I try to sell the same watch it's "very difficult to sell and the market is soft and minor scratches will take a lot off the value".

Feels a lot like dealing with used car salesmen...
RCrusoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:36 AM   #6
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
I’ve had two quotes from and sold one to DavidSW. Super simple process, very fair quote. He covered overnight shipping and paid immediately. Factoring in time sitting on the market, shipping, buyer hassles etc it was well worth it. Not sure about Watchbox but I like his videos. Give it shot. You can always say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:40 AM   #7
BigPapiDoesItAgain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
I got a laughable low-ball quote from them on a complete set 2006 Yachtmaster platinum bezel. Expect for them to try to squeeze you. I look elsewhere and am very happy I did.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:40 AM   #8
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolex View Post

Very true analogy.If you buy a car off a garage it is top price and everything is amazing but yet if you sold that car back to that garage there would be a hundred things they would have tried to wrangle the price down on,typical.
You could have had those few imperfections polished for relatively a few pounds not a thousand.
Typical sales ploy,offer good price first and then substantially reduce on inspection,very deceptive.
I would avoid doing business with them.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:43 AM   #9
Tolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton911 View Post
Very true analogy.If you buy a car off a garage it is top price and everything is amazing but yet if you sold that car back to that garage there would be a hundred things they would have tried to wrangle the price down on,typical.
You could have had those few imperfections polished for relatively a few pounds not a thousand.
Typical sales ploy,offer good price first and then substantially reduce on inspection,very deceptive.
I would avoid doing business with them.
It was very annoying because their reasons sounded ridiculous to me - pre owned watches are as stated, theres no way you wouldnt see any hairline scratches or a couple of marks on them. It just felt to me like they wanted me to go through the trouble of going down, passing them the watch, and lowball me because they assumed I wouldnt want the trouble of going back to collect the watch.
Tolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:34 PM   #10
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
That sounds like standard procedure for many buyers. You, the seller invest all of the time and effort to send your item in after agreeing on a fair verbal quote. They get it and nitpick any reason to chop you more on the real appraisel hoping you'll avoid the return hassle and just let them close the deal on you for an undermarket value. Everyone knows what the retail market is nowadays, theres just so much info out there to look up. For a retailer selling used it's not what you sell for, it's what you buy for. That's the job of a good buyer. Whenever I've sold or traded with a dealer it's been F2F only.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 01:19 PM   #11
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrusoe View Post
I've dealt with grey dealers before and when you're looking for a watch it's always "in demand and will command a premium and a few scratches here and there shouldn't matter" and when I try to sell the same watch it's "very difficult to sell and the market is soft and minor scratches will take a lot off the value".

Feels a lot like dealing with used car salesmen...

This ^^

The watch you’re trying to sell is always a dime a dozen and the watch you want is super rare and special.

I had one grey even tell me that “we pay based on what you paid when you bought it, that’s how it works”

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 01:26 PM   #12
Texas4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
I have used them a few times. I felt like they were pretty good with quotes. Obviously they are never going to pay you what you want because they have to make money also on the deal.
Texas4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 01:38 PM   #13
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I’ve tried a few times but personally found Crown and Caliber to give better offers. Now if WatchBox has something you want, then sure. But for a no hassle straight up sale, I go to C&C first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 03:06 PM   #14
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Fair and honest, which means they bargain hard. So should you

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:58 PM   #15
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Best advice i can give is to sell to DavidSW. He responds quickly and his quotes have always been at least equal to or a bit higher than the other big grey dealers. He pays immediately and has never once lowered his offer after receiving the watch (it helps if you're honest about it in the first place!). When you factor in the time, effort, and possibility for scams from random buyers.....it's an easy decision.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
kareemthedream33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 02:57 PM   #16
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I’ve tried a few times but personally found Crown and Caliber to give better offers. Now if WatchBox has something you want, then sure. But for a no hassle straight up sale, I go to C&C first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’m trying them now so hope they don’t lower their price. I just shipped my watch to them.

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 09:30 PM   #17
dnslater
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
I’m trying them now so hope they don’t lower their price. I just shipped my watch to them.

Curious how the process has gone, or if you have received a final offer. I just shipped one off to them as well yesterday. Initial range was higher than expected.
dnslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 12:19 PM   #18
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
Curious how the process has gone, or if you have received a final offer. I just shipped one off to them as well yesterday. Initial range was higher than expected.

Got my final offer today. It was the same as the quoted offer, which was lower than I expected but just happy to sell the watch.

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote