The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2019, 09:34 PM   #61
MR. STEEL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
Frankly I would go with the new railmaster... nicer watch.
The new Railmaster isn't nearly as comfortable or versatile as the Exp
MR. STEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 09:34 PM   #62
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
This one has been on my mind lately ... especially ever since Chadri posted pictures on a rubber strap
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 10:02 PM   #63
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poidog81 View Post
Not true it’s actually smaller and in line with the 34 and 36mm OP

And where’s the proof for this?
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 10:15 PM   #64
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munichblue View Post
And where’s the proof for this?
It's not even close
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87fb249c8402ddaa9bccd87c623196ff.jpg (96.7 KB, 460 views)
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 10:23 PM   #65
OneMoreSi
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD,Explorer,GMT
A watch for those that desire a wrist piece of high quality, solid and understated, this ticks the boxes. If you want something with wrist presence, this isn't for you. I love how it flies below the radar for most..
OneMoreSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 10:31 PM   #66
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
It's not even close
I guess you agree with me that the dial of the Explorer is larger than the dials from 40mm Subs and GMTs.
Old 25 April 2019, 10:37 PM   #67
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munichblue View Post
I guess you agree with me that the dial of the Explorer is larger than the dials from 40mm Subs and GMTs.
yes, not everything here is an argument.
Old 25 April 2019, 10:44 PM   #68
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Good review and great reference. I think about adding one time to time.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:02 PM   #69
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSi View Post
A watch for those that desire a wrist piece of high quality, solid and understated, this ticks the boxes. If you want something with wrist presence, this isn't for you. I love how it flies below the radar for most..
The Explorer is your interview watch. Great watch with understated elegance that fits with all attire.

No one is going to look at your wrist and make a character assessment. Whereas, the “look at me” references may create an undesirable impression at inopportune moments.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:03 PM   #70
poidog81
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP/SUB
Quote:
yes, not everything here is an argument.

No, not everything is an argument, so don’t make it out to be that. I was going off the dial chart that has been referenced here on the forums many times. If it’s wrong, then it’s wrong, but it puts it at the same size as a Sub dial.

poidog81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:10 PM   #71
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
No, not everything is an argument, so don’t make it out to be that. I was going off the dial chart that has been referenced here on the forums many times. If it’s wrong, then it’s wrong, but it puts it at the same size as a Sub dial.
I’m not sure about your dial chart. Mine has the Exp1 as the same size as the Milgauss. I have both watches and they’ve measured the same.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:12 PM   #72
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I've owned my Mk1 214270 for just over 2 years now. At the time, I had the choice of either model, but personally found the Mk2 a bit "heavier" looking, which I didn't love. I loved it for awhile, but truth be told I did get bored of it at one point. I toyed with the idea of selling it, though I didn't for sentimental reasons. Now I'm glad I didn't. The svelte case, bracelet, time only simplicity, and general vibe of luxury without screaming it at you makes it the perfect all-arounder. I've since added a Milgauss for the times when I want something "fun" or make a bit more of a statement, but the Explorer still feels absolutely perfect to me. If I could only own one watch for the rest of my life, it would be a very close call between a Daytona and my Explorer.
Old 25 April 2019, 11:17 PM   #73
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
Not true it’s actually smaller and in line with the 34 and 36mm OP

I'm not sure what that picture you just posted is from the dial is DEFINITELY larger than the dial on my 40mm BLNR.

I can mic it for you tonight if you really don't believe me. lol.
Old 25 April 2019, 11:20 PM   #74
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I like this watch and have wanted to love it for some time now, but there's just something missing for me to "love" it. I think it's due to the very plain design and slightly smaller size. I don't know.
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:23 PM   #75
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

Great video, but for me the 36mm 114270 is the perfect Explorer.
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:24 PM   #76
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Watch: 214270
The one to buy immediately is the MK1 214270. With Short Hands and White Gold 3,6,9. A true collectible in every sense. Not many pop up for sale and when they do they are quickly gone.

“This is the first phase of the Explorer as it exists today in the modern Rolex line up. Launched in 2010, the 214270 upped the size from 36mm to 39mm, added solid end links to the Oyster bracelet, and updated the movement to the modern caliber 3132. This reference is easily demarcated from its predecessor thanks to the use of a shorter handset (the minute hand does not make it to the minute track) and metallic, non-luminous markers for 3, 6, and 9. Some like to say the handset was carried over from the 36mm case size and there are definitely those that feel the visually lighter hands were more elegant and a better fit for the semi-dressy Explorer. Either way, with production spanning only five or so years, this is a notable reference and may prove to be collectable some time in the future.”
Wembleyisgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 12:12 AM   #77
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Deleted
Old 26 April 2019, 12:21 AM   #78
poidog81
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
I'm not sure what that picture you just posted is from the dial is DEFINITELY larger than the dial on my 40mm BLNR.

I can mic it for you tonight if you really don't believe me. lol.
LOL, nope no need but may be cool for everyone to know what the size difference is. Looks like that dial chart is wrong!

This just means I have no excuse now thinking that the sub is too big for me and I do need to buy one ASAP!
poidog81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 12:22 AM   #79
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembleyisgreen View Post
The one to buy immediately is the MK1 214270. With Short Hands and White Gold 3,6,9. A true collectible in every sense. Not many pop up for sale and when they do they are quickly gone.

“This is the first phase of the Explorer as it exists today in the modern Rolex line up. Launched in 2010, the 214270 upped the size from 36mm to 39mm, added solid end links to the Oyster bracelet, and updated the movement to the modern caliber 3132. This reference is easily demarcated from its predecessor thanks to the use of a shorter handset (the minute hand does not make it to the minute track) and metallic, non-luminous markers for 3, 6, and 9. Some like to say the handset was carried over from the 36mm case size and there are definitely those that feel the visually lighter hands were more elegant and a better fit for the semi-dressy Explorer. Either way, with production spanning only five or so years, this is a notable reference and may prove to be collectable some time in the future.”
I think people try too hard to conjure up collectability status. I had the 39mm Mk I and sold it, eventually buying the current 39mm Mk II which I prefer by a mile. Yes, T-Rex hands version will be more rare but I just don't like it nearly as much as the 2016 version.
Old 26 April 2019, 12:34 AM   #80
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
I think people try too hard to conjure up collectability status. I had the 39mm Mk I and sold it, eventually buying the current 39mm Mk II which I prefer by a mile. Yes, T-Rex hands version will be more rare but I just don't like it nearly as much as the 2016 version.
The MK1 will soon be off to the races regardless of any preferences. It’s just collectible and unique and no longer produced. The gold numerals make it have an elegance not seen on the mk2. I don’t think anyone has to do anything to make the MK1 rare and sought after, the history is cemented. I’ve long suspected major attention focused on the MK1, up till now it’s been a quiet secret. Not much longer.
Old 26 April 2019, 12:47 AM   #81
carloman
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn.
For my needs, the 214270 does it all. I have a relatively minimalist view of possessions in general, and my interpretation of that adjective means that I consider every acquisition with the criteria that the thing I buy serves its purpose perfectly and is versatile on top of that. It must also be made to the highest standards within practical limits.

Basically, every item (of note) in my life is or will become a treasured heirloom. The Explorer is one of the cornerstones of this philosophy.

I really love watches, and particularly well made watches with what I think of as "character", but I get significantly more pleasure from putting on the single piece that I view as the physical representation of what it means to be me than I would from caressing choices in a watch winder (which incidentally would have a standard 5711, a Seiko Presage, a yellow gold Calatrava, and probably a Vacheron Constantin Traditionelle World Time).
carloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 03:10 AM   #82
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembleyisgreen View Post
The MK1 will soon be off to the races regardless of any preferences. It’s just collectible and unique and no longer produced. The gold numerals make it have an elegance not seen on the mk2. I don’t think anyone has to do anything to make the MK1 rare and sought after, the history is cemented. I’ve long suspected major attention focused on the MK1, up till now it’s been a quiet secret. Not much longer.
The watch was made for 5 years and the current MK2 for 3 years. If Rolex decided next year to change up the Explorer again suddenly the MK2 was produced less than the MK1.

Like Hodinkee, stop creating hype for something that isn't there. There are more than a dozen MK1s on a simple site like Chrono24. These modern intricacies while fun and interesting doesn't necessarily translate to the demand and collectability of the future. Something becomes collectable only if that given generation of collectors want the piece (regardless of production numbers... and there still is a full 5 years of modern Rolex production of the MK1 produced).

Nonetheless, huge fan of Explorer and it is great that model gets a bit more exposure (instead of the standard Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, etc). I like both dials. I prefer the MK2 by a margin.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 03:17 AM   #83
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
They could have featured any rolex and they chose...an Explorer I. Missed opportunity IMO
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 03:21 AM   #84
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I think its one of the best references made. The MK1 hands are horrendously small, but the matte dial is so good. I sold the last one i owned, i will buy and MK2 and wear it daily. It flies under the radar and i love it.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 03:41 AM   #85
Daveh3196
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
They could have featured any rolex and they chose...an Explorer I. Missed opportunity IMO

The Week on the Wrist series has been around for quite sometime and has featured many Rolex models including the Datejust, SD 12660, and the Sky Dweller.
Daveh3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 04:50 AM   #86
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Great video, but for me the 36mm 114270 is the perfect Explorer.
I agree with you, the 39mm kills the spirit a little. To me the whole point of the Explorer was that it was rugged and compact, a tool watch that isn’t in the way. The 39mm is nice, but doesn’t fulfill the explorer spirit as does the 39mm.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 04:50 AM   #87
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
The watch was made for 5 years and the current MK2 for 3 years. If Rolex decided next year to change up the Explorer again suddenly the MK2 was produced less than the MK1.

Like Hodinkee, stop creating hype for something that isn't there. There are more than a dozen MK1s on a simple site like Chrono24. These modern intricacies while fun and interesting doesn't necessarily translate to the demand and collectability of the future. Something becomes collectable only if that given generation of collectors want the piece (regardless of production numbers... and there still is a full 5 years of modern Rolex production of the MK1 produced).

Nonetheless, huge fan of Explorer and it is great that model gets a bit more exposure (instead of the standard Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, etc). I like both dials. I prefer the MK2 by a margin.

I disagree. The hype exists without myself it’s in the damn article. It’s a known collectible piece that will go up in value. It’s really simple.
Old 26 April 2019, 04:58 AM   #88
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Rolex sizes are funny.

A jump from 36mm to 39mm made no sense to me.
It should have been 38mm, a size more in line to the heritage of the model.

Also, I don’t know if you noticed but the Explorer wears a lot bigger then the OP39mm
Old 26 April 2019, 05:19 AM   #89
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
I agree with some of you guy that the design is too bland, I bought one and wore it probably for a couple days, the watch had been sitting in case for 4 months before I finally sold it a few weeks ago
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 05:30 AM   #90
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh3196 View Post
The Week on the Wrist series has been around for quite sometime and has featured many Rolex models including the Datejust, SD 12660, and the Sky Dweller.
Yes, I'm aware. I just think there are more interesting releases within the past couple years that have yet to be featured. Nothing against the Explorer.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote