The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 May 2019, 06:50 AM   #121
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

It’s an amazing watch. The perfect watch in fact
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 09:35 AM   #122
Nishanmath
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Last year I bought my first Rolex. I looked at all of them and at 69 years old, I can finally afford to buy any model I want. However, the one I truly liked best is the 2016 Explorer 214270. Simple and elegant. It wears well with a suit or jeans. It is a beautiful watch that I enjoy wearing and looking at. Rolex took years to perfect the Explorer and I can’t imagine how they can improve it further.
Nishanmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:32 PM   #123
gordonite
"TRF" Member

[/QUOTE]

man this is coo!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gordonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:43 PM   #124
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloman View Post
For my needs, the 214270 does it all. I have a relatively minimalist view of possessions in general, and my interpretation of that adjective means that I consider every acquisition with the criteria that the thing I buy serves its purpose perfectly and is versatile on top of that. It must also be made to the highest standards within practical limits.

Basically, every item (of note) in my life is or will become a treasured heirloom. The Explorer is one of the cornerstones of this philosophy.

I really love watches, and particularly well made watches with what I think of as "character", but I get significantly more pleasure from putting on the single piece that I view as the physical representation of what it means to be me than I would from caressing choices in a watch winder (which incidentally would have a standard 5711, a Seiko Presage, a yellow gold Calatrava, and probably a Vacheron Constantin Traditionelle World Time).
What other items outside of watches satisfy this criteria to you? Brands and items. I’ve started shifting my mindset towards this mentality as well
LuxLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:15 AM   #125
genta
"TRF" Member

genta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 11:12 PM   #126
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I’ve never really understood the appeal of the Explorer, I would find it more interesting if had had a specific feature that aided exploring (as per the GMT for pilots, the Daytona for racing drivers, the YM 2 for posh people who race their yachts, the sea dweller for divers etc.)

But then again, I’m not an Explorer, so maybe I’m missing the point of total simplicity? Although I would have assumed that date is important and it must be easy to lose track when exploring, I lose track when I’m on holiday!!

What I did note from the author, is that the Black Bay 36 is a winner! It is the original size of the Explorer (which the author said was better), it has a more minimal dial (no numbers) and whilst it has a less prestigious movement, that is not a bad thing, this is all about function.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 05:36 PM   #127
genta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I’ve never really understood the appeal of the Explorer, I would find it more interesting if had had a specific feature that aided exploring (as per the GMT for pilots, the Daytona for racing drivers, the YM 2 for posh people who race their yachts, the sea dweller for divers etc.)

But then again, I’m not an Explorer, so maybe I’m missing the point of total simplicity? Although I would have assumed that date is important and it must be easy to lose track when exploring, I lose track when I’m on holiday!!

What I did note from the author, is that the Black Bay 36 is a winner! It is the original size of the Explorer (which the author said was better), it has a more minimal dial (no numbers) and whilst it has a less prestigious movement, that is not a bad thing, this is all about function.

For me, the specific feature, is the simplicity. Which contributes to reliability in all conditions. This was the need for the first explorers.

I’m not an explorer, not even pretending to be. But, when I’m hiking, skiing, whatever outside the office I like this idea.

Me outside the office, no need for chrono, GMT, date, equation of time, Perpetual calendar...:

Old 17 February 2020, 07:42 PM   #128
genta
"TRF" Member

Old 17 February 2020, 09:20 PM   #129
winst
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Token74;10288883]What I did note from the author, is that the Black Bay 36 is a winner! It is the original size of the Explorer (which the author said was better), it has a more minimal dial (no numbers) and whilst it has a less prestigious movement, that is not a bad thing, this is all about function.

Surprised he didn’t mention the Black Bay 41 as well. I have it with the Blue dial and am extremely impressed with it. 17 days into the February accuracy thread and it has only lost 16 seconds. Even though it is not COSC, Tudor have really worked wonders with the modifications they have done to the ETA movement and the Black Bay’s even have a 50% better depth rating at 150m! The 36mm was too small for me, I wish it had a slimmer besel and slightly bigger dial, so I went for the 41mm. The other reason I went for it is I got it brand new from an AD in a special sale for under £1500 - no way I was going to miss out on that bargain!
Overall though, of course I would prefer to have and will have one day a 39mm Explorer. It is the perfect size for me, wears more comfortably than the BB41 and is significantly lighter as well. Lume is very good on the Black Bay’s but the Explorer is in another league with it’s lume. So those of you who have an Explorer 1 39mm, congratulations and enjoy, I will be joining you some day. However, those of you who want a stop gap for now or the price of the Explorer 1 is just too much, I thoroughly recommend the Black Bay 36 / 41 and the Blue Dial is lovely the way it looks so different depending upon light / time of day.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:16 PM   #130
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Enjoying my 214270 mark I. The Explorer is Super iconic and the last real Rolex tool watch essentially unchanged and only improved
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 04:20 AM   #131
genta
"TRF" Member

Stormy Explorer!

Old 3 March 2020, 12:12 PM   #132
BK_Verbs
"TRF" Member

I’ve been seriously looking at T dial 14270 as a dress watch. My only other watch is a 14060 No Date Sub. If I was going 39mm, I personally prefer the newer MK2 with large hands and luminous numbers.
BK_Verbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 09:57 AM   #133
subdaytonadjfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Seriously considering the 214270 MkII. With overall prices coming down, may make a move in the next few months as these dip below $6k used with warranty.
subdaytonadjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 09:59 AM   #134
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Regarding older reference - The markers are not metallic but white gold. Secondly, not sure if MK1 will be valuable in the future. Most of them seems to prefer the MK2 version.

This will definitely be a sleeper. Unpopular and short production run. In fact, these are getting harder to find on the used market these days. Just like when the early Daytona’s were first released. Couldn’t give them away.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote