The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 February 2020, 12:12 AM   #31
larryccf
"TRF" Member

As the Pelagos bezel insert ceramic coated or fabricated from ceramic - it's hard for me to tell reading Tudor's descripton of the bezel: "Unidirectional rotatable bezel in titanium, graduated over 60 minutes with ceramic matt blue disc and graduations with white luminescent material". What about non-ceramic bezel inserts - would your watchmaker not replace the pearl in that?

does it hold it's lume as long? - i haven't compared, maybe you can tell me

and why did they bother painting a small circle in the triangle? they could have easily left that detail out

i'm not sure you guys realize it but your reaction to my criticism is almost cult like....with most of the responses seeming to condemn me for having the nerve to criticize. Give me a break, this is a watch forum not a Scientology forum.....push away from the tree and see the forest.

This does not qualify to me as an improvement imho - i retired from manufacturing a few years back, and i see it for what it is - a short cut in the mfgring process to reduce costs including time & labor costs. Not having to bore the opening for the pearl, which that operation probably costs them a few inserts every hundred inserts or so, then obviously eliminating the pearl's cost and the time to bond/mount it to the insert.

You're happy with having to replace the entire insert when the lume goes - good for you. But for the life of me, i don't see why if i don't accept that i'm wrong.

Yeah if i had more carefully inspected it with a loupe (my eyes ain't what they used to be) i would have seen that - but the responsibility isn't all mine. Why would tudor bother painting a small circle in the triangle, to emulate a pearl? Plus at the time i was more focused on the "chapter ring" on the outside edge of the dial and noticing how it shrouded each hour marker. That was a nice design execution to me.
Old 15 February 2020, 12:14 AM   #32
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
I've never seen a pearl which can glow any color (like blue, green or what ever color).
Old 15 February 2020, 12:15 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All the so called pearl on all Rolex watches is just a blob of lume paint covered in a sapphire dome.
Great Peter ... now you really started something
Old 15 February 2020, 12:16 AM   #34
golden_time
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
This is mildly entertaining.

The Pelagos is a fantastic watch, sorry that it isn't made to your specifications..
Old 15 February 2020, 12:17 AM   #35
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Well, I think that literally in the history of all lumed bezels which I think is an advancement to a pip, you are the first complainer. Having been a pip breaker in the past, I can say from experience that the Pelagos solution is much superior and looks freaking amazing in the dark.
As far as a a $100 Seiko having a pip, well of course, it's a cheaper less costly solution for them.
Go figure, I think you're best bet is to sell it. Good luck.
Old 15 February 2020, 12:19 AM   #36
Nadi090
Banned

Watch: OysterPerpetual 39
I'm sorry the watch didn't meet your expectations friend, but frankly this isn't a reason to vent at all...
Old 15 February 2020, 12:27 AM   #37
afjag256
"TRF" Member

I love how the OP fell back to it being “painted on.” Still inaccurate. Godspeed.
Old 15 February 2020, 12:27 AM   #38
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
...and why did they bother painting a small circle in the triangle? they could have easily left that detail out
Perhaps for people who have trouble letting go of the idea that a diver's watch need a "pearl" @12 on the bezel?

Seriously, I believe the Pelagos is truly a diver's toolwatch. From the fully lumed bezel insert, to the self-adjusting clasp tension it was designed with the diver's needs in mind. Even the rubber strap is designed as an "add-on" so the rubber diver's extension can be attached/detached without any tools as needed. Low-light legibility is excellent and with 500M WR rating perhaps only the most seasoned divers would find it at all limiting.

For those of us who don't dive however, I think there's too much lume and totally unnecessary, makes the glowing watch looks busy.
Old 15 February 2020, 12:38 AM   #39
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_time View Post
This is mildly entertaining.

The Pelagos is a fantastic watch, sorry that it isn't made to your specifications..
+1

the whole thing is ridiculous.

a ceramic or aluminum bezel insert doesn’t glow except for that wee pip.

the pelagos bezel is fully lumed.

you’re comparing apples to monkeys and being pissed off the monkey isn’t a fruit.

Old 15 February 2020, 12:44 AM   #40
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Tudor Blue Pelagos arrival with a niggling complaint

I never noticed it in pictures of the Pelagos, but when I saw the watch in person that portion of the bezel really did strike me as odd. To my eyes, with the watch in hand the bezel seemed to have a faux “painted on” pip in the middle of the triangle. I didn’t like how that looked, so I understand how the OP feels about it. I felt a solid triangle would have been a better design. It’s just unfortunate the OP didn’t notice that detail till after he had bought the watch.
Edit - I reread his post and he didn’t buy it from a store. The watch was delivered to him. To me, I understand how he didn’t notice that detail till the watch had arrived. As I said, I never noticed it in pics of the Pelagos. But when I looked at the watch in the AD, that detail suddenly stood out to me.

To be honest, I did not even realize till I read this thread that the hash marks on the Pelagos’ bezel were fully lumed all around. The lume really isn’t something you see when looking at a watch in an always well lit AD.

This thread made me wonder, and I actually could not remember whether my black bay’s bezel had a pearl, and had to look at my pics to check. The BB does have a pip stuck on its bezel, though it seems flatter than the convex pearls on sub bezels.
Old 15 February 2020, 12:50 AM   #41
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
LOL. I think this thread can be locked now.
Old 15 February 2020, 01:10 AM   #42
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Congratulations. I know it’s not a luminescent pearl that sticks out as you like but I could have sworn it is still a luminescent insert that is set flush into the ceramic bezel
Old 15 February 2020, 01:31 AM   #43
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
sorry bud, but a painted on pearl i don't view as a solution or improvement in any sense of the word. A painted on luminova "pearl" is a cost cutting measure plain & simple. Tell me how you replace it when the painted on faux luminova "pearl" has died other than to replace the bezel insert? And yeah it glows but not nearly as bright as a pearl - and will be degraded from any abrasive contact, much easier than a real pearl.
I'm repeating myself here but it's not painted on. The luminous pieces are individual inserts. The ceramic is cut clean through and the parts that glow are solid pieces that fit in the cutouts. Someone posted a photo of his Pelagos bezel broken from impact and you could see the individual lume pieces go all the way through the bezel insert.

Our responses are this way because we're trying to explain the design to you. If you think a three dimensional pip will somehow be superior without having tested back-to-back then you'll probably lose your audience. The Pelagos bezel glows bright and has more surface area than a pearl alone. It's very functional.

And, unlike a Rolex pearl which has been known to break or be knocked off, the flush design makes it an improvement in many eyes. You may disagree but it's difficult to accept that this is an inferior design when it's been proven to glow bright and with more surface area.

Good luck with your watch. It's an excellent dive tool.
Old 15 February 2020, 01:42 AM   #44
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I have no issue at all with the lack of a pearl insert. The luminescent bezel on that watch is absolutely incredible and probably my favorite feature of that watch.

However I will agree with you that I also have wondered why not just do a solid triangle rather than the triangle with circle layout they use? I always thought it looked a little odd they way they chose to design it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
Old 15 February 2020, 01:43 AM   #45
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
it’s a sick watch, the pip can’t fall out, it’s hugely visible and can’t catch on anything.

i see nothing to complain about. love my pelagos.
Not true! The pip fell out on my Pelagos. You can't really tell at first glance because underneath the pip is also white, but if you look close you can see the missing piece. And when lumed up it's very obvious. It can absolutely fall out!

In fact, the Pelagos bezel seems to have real issues with the lume markers just falling out.
E2585AB7-5DEA-4833-88CF-099BF3ACA292.jpeg
E63AE73C-2891-44D6-A5E6-FCA253C92AF5.jpeg
Old 15 February 2020, 01:58 AM   #46
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
so if anyone disagrees or complains about an "innovation" that is not an improvement he should have bought a rolex. Jeez, $100 Seikos have pearls.

This was not an improvement....no matter how much someone.pretends it is.
To me, this is not about which is a better pip
It’s more about the OP not knowing this before buying it.

Only takes reading one review to realize this pip feature of Pelagos.
Do ur due diligence OP
Old 15 February 2020, 02:02 AM   #47
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
Not true! The pip fell out on my Pelagos. You can't really tell at first glance because underneath the pip is also white, but if you look close you can see the missing piece. And when lumed up it's very obvious. It can absolutely fall out!

In fact, the Pelagos bezel seems to have real issues with the lume markers just falling out.
Attachment 1109716
Attachment 1109717
i stand corrected!!!

and actually now you mention it i do recall a thread a while back wherein someone lost an insert.

i are the dumb.
Old 15 February 2020, 02:05 AM   #48
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
Perhaps for people who have trouble letting go of the idea that a diver's watch need a "pearl" @12 on the bezel?

Seriously, I believe the Pelagos is truly a diver's toolwatch. From the fully lumed bezel insert, to the self-adjusting clasp tension it was designed with the diver's needs in mind. Even the rubber strap is designed as an "add-on" so the rubber diver's extension can be attached/detached without any tools as needed. Low-light legibility is excellent and with 500M WR rating perhaps only the most seasoned divers would find it at all limiting.

For those of us who don't dive however, I think there's too much lume and totally unnecessary, makes the glowing watch looks busy.
mul.richard - no contest that the Pelagos is a fantastic diver's toolwatch - i wasn't rubberishing the watch, just venting a niggling irritation with the execution, "niggling" as in a minor irritant, like a pebble in your shoe.

But this thread has gotten to the point that i've seen too many response posts that obviously the posters were speed reading my posts and describing items i haven't said.

To those who presumed to tell me what i should have bought, thanks for your opinion. And obviously everyone is entitled to one
Old 15 February 2020, 02:09 AM   #49
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
I'm repeating myself here but it's not painted on. The luminous pieces are individual inserts. The ceramic is cut clean through and the parts that glow are solid pieces that fit in the cutouts. Someone posted a photo of his Pelagos bezel broken from impact and you could see the individual lume pieces go all the way through the bezel insert.

Our responses are this way because we're trying to explain the design to you. If you think a three dimensional pip will somehow be superior without having tested back-to-back then you'll probably lose your audience. The Pelagos bezel glows bright and has more surface area than a pearl alone. It's very functional.

And, unlike a Rolex pearl which has been known to break or be knocked off, the flush design makes it an improvement in many eyes. You may disagree but it's difficult to accept that this is an inferior design when it's been proven to glow bright and with more surface area.

Good luck with your watch. It's an excellent dive tool.
I appreciate your response - it's the first one that explains the design. Thanks for that
Old 15 February 2020, 02:12 AM   #50
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I appreciate your response - it's the first one that explains the design. Thanks for that
Old 15 February 2020, 02:17 AM   #51
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
mul.richard - no contest that the Pelagos is a fantastic diver's toolwatch - i wasn't rubberishing the watch, just venting a niggling irritation with the execution, "niggling" as in a minor irritant, like a pebble in your shoe.

But this thread has gotten to the point that i've seen too many response posts that obviously the posters were speed reading my posts and describing items i haven't said.

To those who presumed to tell me what i should have bought, thanks for your opinion. And obviously everyone is entitled to one
I understand that perfectly, and honestly I think it is a beautiful watch. With that said, unless the other attributes of the watch outweighs this "pebble", perhaps you really ought to consider letting it go. Personally I wouldn't but a watch where I feel I'm compromising in any way. It should bring you joy and your opinion is the only one that matters.

Our opinion be damned.
Old 15 February 2020, 02:19 AM   #52
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
i stand corrected!!!

and actually now you mention it i do recall a thread a while back wherein someone lost an insert.

i are the dumb.
Not dumb! It was the exact same conclusion I came to when I first saw the design of the Pelagos, and the concept is great. A luminous zero marker on the bezel that doesn't stick out, which would have left it prone to impact and cracking/loss.

The idea was great from Tudor, but the application just didn't work, they blew it IMO. I hope they've fixed the issue in the most modern Pelagos', but I'm afraid I've seen 4 liners, both blue and black, with the same problem.
Old 15 February 2020, 02:20 AM   #53
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I see where your niggle may have come from in this case. You're right, traditionally a "true" diver's watch has a luminous pearl.

That being said, I suppose I don't see it as a cost cutting measure. I do understand where you'd think that, but I think Tudor did this more as a stylistic choice than anything else. In the last few years, they've done their best to make the point that they're not just selling de-contented Rolex models like they used to. Given that they position the Pelagos as a thoroughly modern dive watch (as opposed to, say, the Black Bay), I can see where the flat, lumed, ceramic bezel could be seen as an advantage underwater. To your point re the circle cutout, I see that as their concession to tradition moreso than trying to fool anyone.

Just my .02, but I can see why they went this route vs. what you were expecting.
Old 15 February 2020, 02:25 AM   #54
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
Not dumb! It was the exact same conclusion I came to when I first saw the design of the Pelagos, and the concept is great. A luminous zero marker on the bezel that doesn't stick out, which would have left it prone to impact and cracking/loss.

The idea was great from Tudor, but the application just didn't work, they blew it IMO. I hope they've fixed the issue in the most modern Pelagos', but I'm afraid I've seen 4 liners, both blue and black, with the same problem.
Sounds like the bezel could use some sort of protective clear layer over it to prevent the lume inserts from dislodging from the ceramic. Btw, does anyone know what those lume inserts are made of? Are they also ceramic with luminous paint?
Old 15 February 2020, 02:34 AM   #55
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

When I read this I immediately clutched my pearls.

I was aghast.

Sorry OP. I feel your pain. I felt the same way when I bought my car and the wood grain trim inserts was painted metal.

Cheapskates.
Old 15 February 2020, 02:36 AM   #56
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 12671
I have that exact same watch as well as a Sub C ND. I like both because of their unique features and each spends about the same amount of time on my wrist.

Enjoy the watch, and have a great weekend!
Old 15 February 2020, 03:52 AM   #57
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
I think it looks great and is part of the Pelagos charm.
Old 15 February 2020, 03:56 AM   #58
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
Old 15 February 2020, 04:35 AM   #59
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I'm just horrified, that it's not a 'real pearl'!
Old 15 February 2020, 04:42 AM   #60
Nerdywatch2
Banned

it looks great congrats
Closed Thread