The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2019, 07:29 AM   #181
cerbom
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: rolex AK, GMT, TAG
yes.

Rolex Airking
Tag Aquaracer
Rolex GMT
cerbom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 08:07 AM   #182
Watchie
"TRF" Member

Just goofed - help mods?

Okay, I screwed up and clicked on a link in an email to me asking that I confirm that the posting in the link was the watch the sender would be buying. That took me to what at first blush looked like the RF log on page, but not to my link. Stupidly I of course tried to log on with my user name and password. Ooops.

Since committing my sin I have read this thread in its entirety. What I could not find is what I should do now that I've screwed up. My immediate step was to change my password. Is that enough???

Thanks in advance for all helpful replies.
Watchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 03:13 AM   #183
Watchie
"TRF" Member

Follow up question

Having been subject to this phish, how does the scammer (assuming he now has the ability to log in as me) take advantage of this information? Again, as posted above I have changed my password so hopefully he cannot pretend to me be, but if he could, where does that take him in terms of making any money off this?

Thanks.
Old 14 January 2019, 06:40 AM   #184
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
The scammer will post watches for sale as you that will separate other forum members from their money. I’m surprised you have not been banned already, typically you have to prove to the facilitator who you are to be reinstated.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:57 AM   #185
Watchie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
The scammer will post watches for sale as you that will separate other forum members from their money. I’m surprised you have not been banned already, typically you have to prove to the facilitator who you are to be reinstated.
Hopefully now having changed my password he won't be able to do that. Put another way, as he won't be able to log on as me he can't post as me, correct?

In any case, hopefully for all reading this string it will be a reminder to always "buy the seller." Get references, ensure proof of ownership/possession of the watch, do your due diligence.
Old 19 January 2019, 01:34 PM   #186
tjerem
Banned

Appreciate it, Larry.
tjerem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:18 AM   #187
stanc1
"TRF" Member

Great Info!
Thanks for the heads up .
stanc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:47 AM   #188
Straggy
"TRF" Member

ty larry
Straggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 08:24 PM   #189
stanc1
"TRF" Member

Incredible!
Thanks Larry.
stanc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 01:16 PM   #190
Kamen
"TRF" Member

I just got one. Fellow members beware!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 01:29 PM   #191
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
^Just got this one as well!
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:04 PM   #192
Jondouthit
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay Bl
Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jondouthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:03 PM   #193
JSanta
"TRF" Member

I received one as well. I suppose I should have checked this thread before notifying a moderator. Hopefully no one clicked on the link!
JSanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 03:07 AM   #194
squatchy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/WG DJ41
This happened to me and it took me over a month to sort out with moderators to keep my original screen name. It should almost be a requirement to read this thread before you're active on the forum!
squatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 04:06 AM   #195
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchie View Post
Having been subject to this phish, how does the scammer (assuming he now has the ability to log in as me) take advantage of this information? Again, as posted above I have changed my password so hopefully he cannot pretend to me be, but if he could, where does that take him in terms of making any money off this?

Thanks.
If you have been phished, the scammer may have already accessed your personal information page.

On that page is your personal e-mail and other data that is not available to the membership, as well as an immediate ability to impersonate you on the Forum.

Generally, if you are able to access your account and change your password, you will be able to continue on the Forum without issue. However, you do not know what other personal information has been accessed.
Old 29 January 2019, 02:10 PM   #196
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I just got scammed and all my info disappeared, this is really bad unfortunately. I have received a PM like a couple days ago with a link about a “sales posting”, just clicked and all my info went missing. I cannot understand how all our info is going missing, it is supposed to be in some server isn’t it? Even I provided my registration email to the admins but they could not work out anything at all.. crap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 12:38 PM   #197
mikeyatc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I just got the same email. Immediately changed my password. I hope that's enough.
mikeyatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 05:22 PM   #198
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I got the email and I clicked on the link, this is my new username... this sucks and it should not be that easy for someone to lose his whole data and history in the forum just like that... I am upset and disappointed RF
efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:29 AM   #199
Montes
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the info Larry!
Montes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 06:49 AM   #200
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by efthi View Post
I got the email and I clicked on the link, this is my new username... this sucks and it should not be that easy for someone to lose his whole data and history in the forum just like that... I am upset and disappointed RF
Upset you fell for a simple and well known phishing attempt, or upset at TRF because you fell for the phishing scam??

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 05:00 PM   #201
haidangwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Noted and thanks for this. Sharp eye!
haidangwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 02:36 AM   #202
watchprenuer
"TRF" Member

thanks for the heads up larry
watchprenuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 08:40 PM   #203
watcher3223
"TRF" Member

thanks for the heads up larry
watcher3223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 09:00 AM   #204
louisshields
"TRF" Member

Useful info. Thanks for the tip.
louisshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:05 PM   #205
16arp
"TRF" Member

Interesting. Thanks for the info
16arp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 04:52 AM   #206
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

Clicking the link won't necessarily create an issue, but following through with whatever is requested of you at the other end is the phishing.
Modiferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:58 AM   #207
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Yes, clicking on the link through a private message gives the bad actor access to your RF sign-in name, not your password.

The OP can clarify how they do it.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:19 AM   #208
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Personal Message scam ***** pm scam **** pm scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
Yes, clicking on the link through a private message gives the bad actor access to your RF sign-in name, not your password.

The OP can clarify how they do it.

Paul
The bad actor already knows your TRF name or he couldn’t send you a PM in the first place. The classic phishing scam is to entice you to RE-enter your password to see the purported info at the link.

But clicking a link can open you up to other myriad malware exploits. And if you have used any of the various browser plug-ins to store passwords it is possible for the bad actor to harvest it.

Encrypted password vaults offer a measure of protection but the bad actors are hoping to find less sophisticated password savers with an eye towards financial website credentials.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 12:06 PM   #209
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Paul
The bad actor already knows your TRF name or he couldn’t send you a PM in the first place. The classic phishing scam is to entice you to RE-enter your password to see the purported info at the link.

But clicking a link can open you up to other myriad malware exploits. And if you have used any of the various browser plug-ins to store passwords it is possible for the bad actor to harvest it.

Encrypted password vaults offer a measure of protection but the bad actors are hoping to find less sophisticated password savers with an eye towards financial website credentials.

Thanks!
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 06:51 AM   #210
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modiferous View Post
Clicking the link won't necessarily create an issue, but following through with whatever is requested of you at the other end is the phishing.

Clicking a link in a PM is just as risky as clicking a link in an email. While it is usually part of a phishing exploit, clicking the link could leave you with problems.

For anyone not aware, the following is just for educational purposes. But for our clueful members this will seem elementary - so HAGD and skip the rest of this post. Please accept my gift of time.

PM & Email fraud is designed to trick people by playing on their trust, or fears, or a sense of urgency, or a desire to help. It exploits human nature, not just technology. This makes anti-spoofing software and traditional security tools ineffective.

You may be aware of the potential threat, but a recent survey shows awareness does not mean preparedness. Only 40% of users (broad global scope) have any deep url inspection software to warn them that a link is malicious. These include the simplest browser warnings and the more sophisticated web filtering software.

Even people with the best protection against links attempting to access their user data are susceptible because they ignore or allow the link to be opened.

A website's reputation is correlated with the specific web reputation policy enforced on the computer. But there are still “Day 0” threats that pass through existing link filtering. That’s because scammers will hop from a website that’s been tagged as a threat. They gen new links to a new web address until they notice it has been tagged as a threat. And so on, and so on, etc...

So trust the OP’s advice, just don’t click.

Even if the PM is from a trusted member, don’t click - because it is always possible that member’s account has been hacked and you are among the first 100 people the scammer has targeted.

Once you click, a standard phishing exploit may launch to keep you reading or answering questions. All the while, in the background, a little bit of code could be launched to add a keystroke logger, or a bot to scan your files, or worse - ransomeware to encrypt your files before launching a lockdown until you pay a fee via bitcoin to unlock your phone, tablet, PC, laptop, or other systems.

Just sharing in the spirit of communication.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote