The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 January 2022, 12:03 AM   #1
HK852GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 16610LV
16610 bezel issues

Hi all. Looking for some help. I have trawled through as many posts as i can to seek enlightenment but to no joy.

The bezel on my sub has a couple of REALLY stiff points. I mean really stiff. Unmoveable by fingers and requiring using fingernails to get it past the spots.

I have already removed and cleaned everything thoroughly. I have resisted the urge to try any lubricant. Without the circular disc spacer it is useable. With the disc spacer in the bezel ring it is fine. Spring is ok too. Put all three on as it should be and it is buggered.

Does it sound like a replacement bezel is required, or is there something i have missed?

Many thanks in advance.
HK852GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 01:23 AM   #2
ABM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16710 Pepsi
Hi,

A few things may be going on here:
1. Is your bezel straight or is it bent. Place it by itself on a level surface and see if it rocks when you press down on it with your fingers.
2. Check the flat disk for the same. Flip it upside down and try reinstalling it that way.
3. Check the white plastic gasket that the crystal sits on to see if there are any kinks in it or if it’s pinched anywhere. Sometimes when you reinstall bezel assemblies, the gasket gets pinched.
4. Remove (carefully) the bezel insert and install the bezel assembly without it in place. Rotate the bezel to see if there is anything visible that could be causing your problem.
5. As you rotate the bezel in (4), check to see if the click spring remains in its horizontal position.

Hope one of these options helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ABM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 01:31 AM   #3
HK852GMT
"TRF" Member

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. Is your bezel straight or is it bent. Place it by itself on a level surface and see if it rocks when you press down on it with your fingers. - Yup tried this first off. Seems to be flat and unwarped.

2. Check the flat disk for the same. Flip it upside down and try reinstalling it that way. - Disc is in good order, no issues

3. Check the white plastic gasket that the crystal sits on to see if there are any kinks in it or if it’s pinched anywhere. Sometimes when you reinstall bezel assemblies, the gasket gets pinched. - i can’t see anything, but then i have never noticed the gasket. Do you have a photo of where to check?

4. Remove (carefully) the bezel insert and install the bezel assembly without it in place. Rotate the bezel to see if there is anything visible that could be causing your problem. - Without the spacer it is all fine. When assembled correctly it is problematic - insert or naked, same problem.

5. As you rotate the bezel in (4), check to see if the click spring remains in its horizontal position. - click spring is clicking without issue.

Really rather at my wits end.
Old 27 January 2022, 02:15 AM   #4
ABM
2024 Pledge Member

Hmm,

Do you happen to have another 16610 or 16710, or have a friend who has one that you could try doing a bezel swap?

Beyond this, I’m all tapped out and would suggest you try a trusted watch maker and have him take a look at it.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you stay away from any lubricants to try to solve this problem. They create a mess and attract dirt that will only make things worse in the long term.

Old 27 January 2022, 02:58 AM   #5
HK852GMT
"TRF" Member

Fortunately i do have a 16710. I can give that a go.

Unfortunately in HK, all the independents have closed up to my knowledge and we only have the RSC. Their solution is replace everything and i really want to keep the original insert if at all possible. Will try the other bezel and report back.
Old 27 January 2022, 03:24 AM   #6
ABM
2024 Pledge Member

The RSC in LA will allow you to keep your insert when the bezel assembly is changed, but the one in HK may be different. If all else fails and you do decide to take it to the RSC, and you’re afraid they will change out your insert as well, replace it with a cheap aftermarket one before you take it in. When it returns, with a brand new insert in place (they will either throw out your cheapie or return it to you), swap out the new one for your original one, and keep the new one as a spare.

Old 27 January 2022, 04:39 AM   #7
ABM
2024 Pledge Member

I just remembered. Since you are in HK, reach out to Michael Young for advice:

http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 January 2022, 07:33 PM   #8
lennywilkins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Your underbezel is probably damaged. RSC can replace this within a full service.
lennywilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 03:09 AM   #9
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK852GMT View Post
Fortunately i do have a 16710. I can give that a go.

Unfortunately in HK, all the independents have closed up to my knowledge and we only have the RSC. Their solution is replace everything and i really want to keep the original insert if at all possible. Will try the other bezel and report back.
Send it in without the insert - say you lost it

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 02:43 AM   #10
HK852GMT
"TRF" Member

RESOLVED.

Mea Culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa.

I finally decided to take it into RSC and so swapped in the original bezel insert. All done and just gave the watch a wipe down. The bezel moved perfectly....

Moral of the story - if in doubt, use original parts.
Old 12 February 2022, 03:43 AM   #11
ABM
2024 Pledge Member

Glad you got it sorted, but you had neglected to mention that you were using aftermarket parts. Always best to stick to gen parts, even if they are more expensive.

Old 7 April 2022, 10:12 PM   #12
trickydicky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
My bezel is difficult to rotate without a bit of finger effort. Is that normal or should you be able to turn them with little effort like you see in YouTube videos? My watch is 20 years old and the guy who appraised it said it was normal.
trickydicky is offline   Reply With Quote