The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 February 2019, 04:46 AM   #1
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Tesla Solar Panels/Solar Roof and Powerwall

Anyone have a Tesla roof and powerwall(s)? I just ordered mine with (2) Powerwalls. Going through permitting now and install hopefully Q2 this year!
Tonyfsu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 06:06 AM   #2
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I do not but love the idea. Keeps us updated on the progress, please!
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 06:23 AM   #3
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Yes very curious to hear how it goes. I saw something online recently about their solar tech and roof tiles. Sounds like some real advancements in the field.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 07:16 AM   #4
Tonyfsu21
Banned

I have a new (less then 3yr old) standing seam metal roof so I opted out of the solar tiles and went with the low profile Tesla solar panels instead. I will keep you updated but so far so good. Tesla assists every step of the way even going as far as initiating the utility net metering application to back feed excess power to the grid.
Old 8 February 2019, 08:29 AM   #5
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Didn't do the powerwall because I neede 3 of them and I already have a generator if the grid goes down but did solar for 150% of my previous usage anticipating increased usage in the future for a pool, electric vehicles, kids, and running all 3 AC units in the summer, etc.

My average bill was just under $500 per month and peaked in the summer around $1200. Every electric bill I've had has been negative in the almost 2 years I've had solar. And rates have risen considerably over those 2 years. With the tax credit and increased usage after solar my break even was around 5 years but not caring when the kids leave the lights on in every room or the wife runs the ACs non stop at 68* is worth the peace of mind.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 08:35 AM   #6
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I priced it out as part of my remodel but the storage costs were prohibitive. Even the Tesla rep said wait a couple of years as there is some competition brewing with LG and Mercedes that will start driving storage costs down.

The solar tiles, however, look freaking amazing!!!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 09:21 AM   #7
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I priced it out as part of my remodel but the storage costs were prohibitive. Even the Tesla rep said wait a couple of years as there is some competition brewing with LG and Mercedes that will start driving storage costs down.

The solar tiles, however, look freaking amazing!!!
What do you mean when you refer to “storage cost”? Are you referring to the battery capacity in reference to cost? My system with (2) powerwalls provides me from 7-10 days of backup power in a service disruption.
Old 9 February 2019, 06:15 AM   #8
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
What do you mean when you refer to “storage cost”? Are you referring to the battery capacity in reference to cost? My system with (2) powerwalls provides me from 7-10 days of backup power in a service disruption.
Referring to the powerwall units at $10,500 each.

They estimated that two powerwall units would get me about one day of normal use assuming we had a snowstorm that cuts out oower and does not allow the panels to generate and recharge.

How the heck are you able to get 7-10 days?

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 9 February 2019, 07:13 AM   #9
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Quote:
Referring to the powerwall units at $10,500 each.

They estimated that two powerwall units would get me about one day of normal use assuming we had a snowstorm that cuts out oower and does not allow the panels to generate and recharge.

How the heck are you able to get 7-10 days?
Ok totally understand now. Well lucky for me I live in Fort Lauderdale which makes sense as to why I would get 7-10 days since the sun is always burning the crap out of us.
Old 9 February 2019, 10:02 AM   #10
CalSRQ1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
my break even was around 5 years .
Wow. Every time i’ve run the numbers looks more like 15 years at minimum break even here in SW Florida. When they get it to 5 that would be a no brainer. Until then, no thanks.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Would love to test drive one have heard good and bad. But I have always liked the looks and specs.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 12:00 PM   #12
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSRQ1 View Post
Wow. Every time i’ve run the numbers looks more like 15 years at minimum break even here in SW Florida. When they get it to 5 that would be a no brainer. Until then, no thanks.
15 years break even? You must be doing something wrong. I’m at 7 w/o even trying.
Old 9 February 2019, 03:40 PM   #13
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
We would LOVE to go solar but here in SF everything is natural gas except for basics. Our electric bill is about $30 dollars a month. Our gas is about $100 per month and that’s because it’s so chilly here year round. Even our dryer is gas. Always freaks me out a little... what if it caught fire? OMG, my clothes.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 05:08 PM   #14
HoroMaverick
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116515LN
I have 34 panels and 2 power walls. They worked great! Tesla is very slow in their follow thru and my power wall took over a year to get installed from the day I placed my deposit.
Hopefully you have better luck than me. When it is working you will have free power after sundown. But I keep mine to 30% reserve just in case of a power failure. The app is very cool. You see what's being generated and how much the house is using almost realtime.
I think you will enjoy it.
I am in NorCal and before my power wall and remodel my 22 panels are net zero with some PGE credits annually. Currently with electric cars and AC I still have a small true up to pay. But it helped to lower the bills considerably with extra panels and batteries. So plan accordingly. Good luck.
HoroMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 12:41 PM   #15
Ballzzz

Would love to hear about a members solar roof tile instal if we have any.
Old 10 February 2019, 12:50 PM   #16
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Would love to test drive one have heard good and bad. But I have always liked the looks and specs.
I see a lot of posts where the person clearly only read the original post but not many where they only read half the thread title before replying.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 01:44 PM   #17
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I see a lot of posts where the person clearly only read the original post but not many where they only read half the thread title before replying.
Haha. Exactly
Old 10 February 2019, 02:34 PM   #18
Andy0331

Quote:
15 years break even? You must be doing something wrong. I’m at 7 w/o even trying.
I think I'd have to actually talk to an installer for a real estimate. Tesla's online estimator puts me with a Net $5.5k gain after 30 years (assuming a cash payment) or a Net loss of $145/month if financed.

If I found a break even at 10-15 years, I'd seriously consider it when I replace my roof (currently 15 yrs old).
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 03:49 PM   #19
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0331 View Post
I think I'd have to actually talk to an installer for a real estimate. Tesla's online estimator puts me with a Net $5.5k gain after 30 years (assuming a cash payment) or a Net loss of $145/month if financed.

If I found a break even at 10-15 years, I'd seriously consider it when I replace my roof (currently 15 yrs old).
I just replaced a roof and seriously considered the solar tiles. The Tesla rep estimated $135,000.00 including two powerwalls. 30 year break even.

My new roof (as part of remodel) was $27k including structural reinforcement for eventual solar panels.

Independent bid for solar panels to generate 20% more than solar tiles was $23,000.00. Break even 9 years. Powerwalls seperately would be another $22k. Again break even 9 years, but this is near the end of thr powerwall life cycle.

So, I decided to wait and pay off remodel first. Next, I will install the solar panels in 3-5 years and buy an electric vehicle which can charge at home during the day. If 3rd party storage comes down by then, I may add some battery storage.

I did wire an essentials panel in my remodel.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 11 February 2019, 04:57 AM   #20
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Quote:
I just replaced a roof and seriously considered the solar tiles. The Tesla rep estimated $135,000.00 including two powerwalls. 30 year break even.

My new roof (as part of remodel) was $27k including structural reinforcement for eventual solar panels.

Independent bid for solar panels to generate 20% more than solar tiles was $23,000.00. Break even 9 years. Powerwalls seperately would be another $22k. Again break even 9 years, but this is near the end of thr powerwall life cycle.

So, I decided to wait and pay off remodel first. Next, I will install the solar panels in 3-5 years and buy an electric vehicle which can charge at home during the day. If 3rd party storage comes down by then, I may add some battery storage.

Jason- you must have a big ass house! My is a tiny little 1600sf shack on the water in Fort Lauderdale!
Old 11 February 2019, 06:45 AM   #21
CalSRQ1

Watch: 5513
Quote:
I’m also factoring time value of money spent investing on the panels. Evening assuming a modest investment return on your cash of 3% my numbers were discouraging. Of course I have a larger house and kids, so it takes a lot of panels.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 05:30 AM   #22
Ballzzz

Quote:

wOw 135k is a big nut to swallow - In time if the proof of concept crew can show how it holds up and performs i guess
Old 14 February 2019, 11:21 PM   #23
Andy0331

Quote:
The online estimator has me in the same ballpark, 125-145k depending on how much power I want to generate. I'm hoping the technology will improve enough to drive costs down; I can't see spending 125k+ for a roof that looks nicer than flat solar panels.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote