The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 15 February 2019, 05:04 AM   #1
Maybelline
Banned

Amazon cancels nyc hq plans.

NY times first to report...will be breaking news on other outlets shortly

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/n...gtype=Homepage

What happened New York?

Last edited by Maybelline; 15 February 2019 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Fixed link. Sorry.
Old 15 February 2019, 05:14 AM   #2
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Link doesn't work.
Old 15 February 2019, 05:15 AM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The link to the New York Times article is broken and there isn't much actual hard news about this on the internet.

From the what reactions there are on the internet, it seems that New Yorkers didn't want Amazon, so no big deal.

Amazon will just go somewhere where they want to play ball.

This morning, Amazon announced its decision to pull out of building a second headquarters in New York City, and honestly, people seem pretty jazzed about that. On top of receiving a comically large tax break for building in Queens, there was controversy over real estate being bought up (allegedly before the announcement was made, in some cases). But with the plans officially being shuttered before they were even off the ground, New Yorkers are rejoicing. You hear that N,R,W, and 7 Train riders? You're free.

Naturally, people hit Twitter to offer up their best Amazon slam dunks. Like the people of Munchkinland after Dorothy ran the Wicked Witch out of town, the good people of Queens (or perhaps just news vultures with a hot take) came to the rescue, wielding GIFs of Tiffany Pollard and short poetry to say, "GTFO Amazon. Ya basic."

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...-hq2-reaction/

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 15 February 2019, 05:18 AM   #4
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
The link to the New York Times article is broken and there isn't much actual hard news about this on the internet.

From the what reactions there are on the internet, it seems that New Yorkers didn't want Amazon, so no big deal.

Yep. AOC thinks she won. lol. Atlanta was really wanting it. Growth doesn't stop because a few try to stop it. It simply goes somewhere else. I've seen this happen time and time again. The town I grew up in is basically a dot on the map. Other towns that had about the same property values back then(1990's) are now booming. And since then, our entire family has left.
Old 15 February 2019, 05:28 AM   #5
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Boston was pushing hard for it right up until they lost to the split decision of VA and NYC. They say they aren't revisiting the selection process but in a couple of months they will most likely make a few moves.

Boston just announced a settlement with GE based on the fact that GE isn't going to occupy all of the property that is being developed for them in the seaport district, could be a quick transition to Amazon...
Old 15 February 2019, 05:35 AM   #6
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Money goes where it's wanted. There obviously was enough opposition that caused Amazon to pack up and go somewhere else. This will serve as a deterrent to other businesses for sure.
Old 15 February 2019, 06:00 AM   #7
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

This morning, Amazon announced its decision to pull out of building a second headquarters in New York City, and honestly, people seem pretty jazzed about that. On top of receiving a comically large tax break for building in Queens, there was controversy over real estate being bought up (allegedly before the announcement was made, in some cases). But with the plans officially being shuttered before they were even off the ground, New Yorkers are rejoicing. You hear that N,R,W, and 7 Train riders? You're free.

Naturally, people hit Twitter to offer up their best Amazon slam dunks. Like the people of Munchkinland after Dorothy ran the Wicked Witch out of town, the good people of Queens (or perhaps just news vultures with a hot take) came to the rescue, wielding GIFs of Tiffany Pollard and short poetry to say, "GTFO Amazon. Ya basic."

Polls showed 70% of NYC residents were in favor. Self inflicted wound.
Old 15 February 2019, 06:01 AM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I’m thrilled.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 15 February 2019, 06:18 AM   #9
Maybelline
Banned

Sorry about the broken link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/n...gtype=Homepage

This is better.
Old 15 February 2019, 06:38 AM   #10
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Typical NY values at play. NY politicians even worse, who need to keep their mouths shut.

Between this story and the other one where NY politicians yammer about Florida "stealing their population" it'll be a wonder if there's anyone left in that state in 50 years.
Old 15 February 2019, 06:44 AM   #11
Cru Jones

Old 15 February 2019, 07:17 AM   #12
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
Typical NY values at play. NY politicians even worse, who need to keep their mouths shut.

Between this story and the other one where NY politicians yammer about Florida "stealing their population" it'll be a wonder if there's anyone left in that state in 50 years.
Exactly. NY and CA are almost exactly the same, CA mutants are pushing there agenda 1 state over for the last few years
Old 15 February 2019, 07:25 AM   #13
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Neither location is particularly good, or even feasible given the estimates of impact.

I hope they move the VA location as well.

I am surprised Durham North Carolina is not the next best option.
Old 15 February 2019, 07:31 AM   #14
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I'm not too familiar with the geography of the region where the facility was going to be placed. But in general I thought that the cost of living in the area is quite high. I'm not sure how Amazon was going to pay an adequate wage to warehouse workers commuting in and out of that area. It seems that a geographic location with a lower cost of living and near a moderate to large city would be ideal. Why not stick it near a city like Detroit for example?
Old 15 February 2019, 07:34 AM   #15
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I know the area, Long Island City. It’s already gentrifying at a staggering rate and the Amazon HQ would not have given the locals any new jobs, just pushed the middle class out of the neighborhood quicker. Not everyone in NYC is an oligarch.
Old 15 February 2019, 07:37 AM   #16
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Don't care one way or the other but I don't believe it should be legal for anyone to give tax breaks to corporations for them to locate anywhere.
Old 15 February 2019, 07:40 AM   #17
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I know the area, Long Island City. It’s already gentrifying at a staggering rate and the Amazon HQ would not have given the locals any new jobs, just pushed the middle class out of the neighborhood quicker. Not everyone in NYC is an oligarch.
I think long-term NY made the right call. Many of the promised jobs will become automated with time, and Amazon would have continued to enjoy a sizable tax break for a facility in a desirable location without benefitting residents in the area.
Old 15 February 2019, 08:28 AM   #18
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. Much better to keep people poor. No need for 25,000 jobs that average 150K per year. Those people would never spend any money in the local community or pay taxes or anything else. And it's a good thing NY isn't losing residents or anything (most outward migration of any state) or having its tax base erode because it is unfriendly to business (which resulted in an almost 3B hole in this year's budget). Best to keep being dependent on the financial sector because at least that never goes down and besides, who needs to diversify the tax base anyway.

No one likes the subsidies, but until everyone disarms you have to play the game. And of course, NY is already giving away 600 million every year so that people can film their NY cop shows in NY! Every single year. Was is the ROI on those tax subsidies? Those jobs are temporary and fleeting.

That being said, I love what Amazon did. Its long term terrible for NYC and the message it sends to other businesses that are looking for a new home is to simply not come because at the end of the day, in NYC the 70% in favor never matter, its always the squeaky wheel trustafarian hipsters that are the key demographic.
Old 15 February 2019, 08:29 AM   #19
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I'm not too familiar with the geography of the region where the facility was going to be placed. But in general I thought that the cost of living in the area is quite high. I'm not sure how Amazon was going to pay an adequate wage to warehouse workers commuting in and out of that area. It seems that a geographic location with a lower cost of living and near a moderate to large city would be ideal. Why not stick it near a city like Detroit for example?
You do realize this wasn't a warehouse right? These are highly skilled and high paying jobs (average of 150K).
Old 15 February 2019, 08:35 AM   #20
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Maybe we can convince them to land in Toronto after all.....
Old 15 February 2019, 08:43 AM   #21
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Polls showed 70% of NYC residents were in favor. Self inflicted wound.
Exactly. The same people saying they're going to "create jobs," also ruin many many more at the same time. It's hilarious to watch their hypocrisy.
Old 15 February 2019, 08:46 AM   #22
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
i understand it was not going to be warehouse but a corporate office, the warehouse was slated to be built in Staten Island, an outer borough of NYC.

there were concerns about the agreement and the city council responded to their constituents concerns.

Quote:
You do realize this wasn't a warehouse right? These are highly skilled and high paying jobs (average of 150K).
that was the pitch but i believe there were doubters.
Old 15 February 2019, 09:59 AM   #23
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
i understand it was not going to be warehouse but a corporate office, the warehouse was slated to be built in Staten Island, an outer borough of NYC.

there were concerns about the agreement and the city council responded to their constituents concerns.

that was the pitch but i believe there were doubters.
Thanks for filling me in guys, I had no idea.

In that case, I'm not sure what the backlash was about, unless people thought that Amazon got too sweet a deal? That sounds like a pretty big chunk of extra income tax base for the state and city. Let alone what those employees could add to the local economy.
Old 15 February 2019, 10:13 AM   #24
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
You do realize that no one local would have gotten any of those jobs, it would have been an influx of “hipsters” pricing generations of native NY’ers out of their neighborhood.
I’m not from NY but I go there a lot. Until a decade ago Long Island City, LIC for short, was an area of light industrial, working class residents, and warehouses. 10 years ago a bunch of hotels starting popping up, followed by some new office and apartment towers and more shops and restaurants to support those. LIC is only 1-2 subway stops from Midtown, five minutes away.
So it’s gradually upscaling but at a rate that isn’t forcing people to leave...yet. Manhattan has in many ways become Disneyland for tourists and a hyper priced real estate shelter for investors and the uber wealthy.
It takes all kinds of people to make NY work, not just the rich. The City is not for everyone but most people living there want to stay and the Amazon project was not going to make life better for the average person there.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. I have friends there, the mayor and governor’s subsidies were not favored by everyone.
Old 15 February 2019, 10:22 AM   #25
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You do realize that no one local would have gotten any of those jobs, it would have been an influx of “hipsters” pricing generations of native NY’ers out of their neighborhood.
I’m not from NY but I go there a lot. Until a decade ago Long Island City, LIC for short, was an area of light industrial, working class residents, and warehouses. 10 years ago a bunch of hotels starting popping up, followed by some new office and apartment towers and more shops and restaurants to support those. LIC is only 1-2 subway stops from Midtown, five minutes away.
So it’s gradually upscaling but at a rate that isn’t forcing people to leave...yet. Manhattan has in many ways become Disneyland for tourists and a hyper priced real estate shelter for investors and the uber wealthy.
It takes all kinds of people to make NY work, not just the rich. The City is not for everyone but most people living there want to stay and the Amazon project was not going to make life better for the average person there.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. I have friends there, the mayor and governor’s subsidies were not favored by everyone.
i think those jobs should go to qualified people, locals shouldn't have a sense of entitlement to be given these jobs for nothing
Old 15 February 2019, 02:00 PM   #26
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Yes. Much better to keep people poor. No need for 25,000 jobs that average 150K per year. Those people would never spend any money in the local community or pay taxes or anything else. And it's a good thing NY isn't losing residents or anything (most outward migration of any state) or having its tax base erode because it is unfriendly to business (which resulted in an almost 3B hole in this year's budget). Best to keep being dependent on the financial sector because at least that never goes down and besides, who needs to diversify the tax base anyway.

No one likes the subsidies, but until everyone disarms you have to play the game. And of course, NY is already giving away 600 million every year so that people can film their NY cop shows in NY! Every single year. Was is the ROI on those tax subsidies? Those jobs are temporary and fleeting.

That being said, I love what Amazon did. Its long term terrible for NYC and the message it sends to other businesses that are looking for a new home is to simply not come because at the end of the day, in NYC the 70% in favor never matter, its always the squeaky wheel trustafarian hipsters that are the key demographic.
There’s always bartending.

What a massive loss. This will haunt like no other for a very, very long time.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 15 February 2019, 02:42 PM   #27
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Very well said.

Quote:

Old 15 February 2019, 03:11 PM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
My opinion isn’t worth Jack Squat

But...

NYC will be fine without amazon. There are other areas of the country that need and want it much much much more.

Unless you own property in LIC I don’t see any reason to be upset about it.
Old 15 February 2019, 03:16 PM   #29
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree 100%.
Old 15 February 2019, 03:49 PM   #30
Star Ferry
Banned

I agree with SMD. Trustafarians. NYC has enormous amounts of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. generation wealth, to the point that powerful vested interests are out of touch with practical worldly concerns

They were putting homeless in $400 dollar hotel rooms. Anyone can show up at the port authority bus station, it's not like these people need to stay in the city. The whole place has gotten weird. Unless someone has a really sick job that doesn't exist elsewhere, idk why they'd want to be there
Closed Thread