The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 05:47 AM   #31
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
You will never build a "relationship". If you spend enough money, and do as you are told, don't annoy the AD, never suggest a lower than asking price, and pay with cash, you may be the buyer of choice, if they get a watch in that someone that has spent more money, doesn't want.

Or, you could come to realize that Rolex is maybe a mid tier, of the upper tier of watches, and that you have countless choices from many watch manufacturers. If you want to build a relationship, find a independent watchmaker that has been repairing but not selling many brands for about 30-40 yrs, and ask him/her what they consider to be a great watch.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:01 AM   #32
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Find a manager who’s not an owner and offer them $1000 cash if they get get you what you want within a month or two. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:19 AM   #33
Dr Watches
Banned

You're buying in the Chicago market, which has tons of high spending collectors. A DJ for your wife and a Milgauss for you won't move the needle in a market like that.

If you want a "hot watch" you should pay "hot watch" prices to the guys who will be willing to sell you a "hot watch". $20,000 will get you that "hot watch" Daytona tomorrow.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:21 AM   #34
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Here is my advice with Chicago...pick an AD not in Chicago...there will always be about 100 people in front of you who spent way more in a day than you will ever imagine to spend...nature of the beast with a city like that, just like NY.

You can’t even get a SubC in Chicago within a year without a decent history
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:22 AM   #35
mdrag77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Just let the relationship happen naturally. It'll do you no good to force one.

I just started out with my current AD by showing up in person and looking at their display, and bought something that I like. I just keep on returning frequently, chat up the staff and owner who can tell I'm crazy about watches. I bought another piece, and kept returning to have a look and tell them how much I'm enjoying it. I'm certain the AD has far bigger fish in front of me, but they've made a few offers of desirable pieces to me in the last few weeks without me requesting them, and I ended up buying the BLNR from them without any wait.

The key I think is to be personable, humble, don't act entitled, be genuine, friendly and not overbearing or annoying. Like almost every relationship there is in existence!

(I think you can visit frequently without being overbearing or annoying.)
I agree with this approach 100%. This is exactly what I did and about 3 months after I been on the wait list, I got a call about a Submariner. I purchased it and told them I was looking for a 50th Anniversary Sea -Dweller. I got a call on that about 2 months later. I also get calls on anything unique that may come in. It could be just perfect timing, but I think the relationship has a lot to do with it.
mdrag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:22 AM   #36
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaney View Post
I've only just started with Watches Of Switzerland AD here in Glasgow, I've been emailing the Manager every day or 2, checking in, conversing about watches and general nonsense.

I cannot confirm whether or not this will get me anywhere as I've not made my purchase but he put me on the list and seemed happy to do so in the hope of offering me the chance to buy the piece one day.
I'll disavow you of this notion. No, bugging an AD via email while not buying anything won't help your cause.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:01 AM   #37
wristmatic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
makes sure you get their phone number to keep in contact through text, works best for me!
wristmatic is offline   Reply With Quote