The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 January 2024, 01:12 AM   #1
cwmehring
"TRF" Member

Looking to buy 1st Vintage Sub, need some advice

I’m looking at purchasing a vintage sub w/ date, model number 168000 with an R date code. The patina on the dial and bezel looks to be consistent with the age of the watch. What pit falls should I be looking for when buying something like this?
The edges of the shoulders still have the bevel. The lugs look good. The bracelet and end links are consistent with this release.

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cwmehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 01:16 AM   #2
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

The hands don't seem to match the hour markers in patina.

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 01:40 AM   #3
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Original dial , service hands for sure.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 02:42 AM   #4
IgCarr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 16800 16220 14270
Hey there - the watch appears to be a good example and I agree with the comments above about the service hands. And unless there is something on the crystal, it appears that the lume on the hour hand's top area is cracked. If the lume is cracked, then you'll have to address the matter sooner than later since the lume can work its way to the movement and cause problems.

I acquired my 16800 a few months after it had been serviced by RSC. As part of the service, the watch got a new set of hands. I didn't think it would matter much but after a few days of wearing it, it sure did. I hated it the way the hands glowed as I came into my house compared to the lovely, creamy lume on the dial. So - I figured that since the watch had already lost its original hands, there was no reason not to alter the service hands with material to match. I ended up sending the watch to LA Watchworks to have them redo the hands with matching material and as you can see, they did a great job. Some on this forum may object, but I thought it best for my watch that, again, didn't have the original hands to begin with. Perhaps if I ever sell my watch I can source a set of OEM hands but for now, I'm very happy with the look of my watch. If you decide to pull the trigger on this very nice 168000 and the hands bother you, there are options.

Last edited by IgCarr; 18 January 2024 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: forgot to add pic
IgCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 02:49 AM   #5
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgCarr View Post
Hey there - the watch appears to be a good example and I agree with the comments above about the service hands. And unless there is something on the crystal, it appears that the lume on the hour hand's top area is cracked. If the lume is cracked, then you'll have to address the matter sooner than later since the lume can work its way to the movement and cause problems.

I acquired my 16800 a few months after it had been serviced by RSC. As part of the service, the watch got a new set of hands. I didn't think it would matter much but after a few days of wearing it, it sure did. I hated it the way the hands glowed as I came into my house compared to the lovely, creamy lume on the dial. So - I figured that since the watch had already lost its original hands, there was no reason not to alter the service hands with material to match. I ended up sending the watch to LA Watchworks to have them redo the hands with matching material and as you can see, they did a great job. Some on this forum may object, but I thought it best for my watch that, again, didn't have the original hands to begin with. Perhaps if I ever sell my watch I can source a set of OEM hands but for now, I'm very happy with the look of my watch. If you decide to pull the trigger on this very nice 168000 and the hands bother you, there are options.

I was going to post to either pass or try to find some matching hands after purchase as the difference would bug me to no end. But this is a great option. Had no idea LAWW even did that.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 05:34 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I'd keep looking and find one with original matching hands.

If you already have a Sub with replaced/mismatched hands, color-matching can help aesthetically. But if you're on the hunt for one, I'd just find one that doesn't have an issue with the hands. They're out there.

As for the 168000 specifically, make sure you see the inside of the case back. They're specific to that model, with a little ruby ball shaped logo/stamp for the new 904L metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 168000-Open 19-TRF.jpg (276.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 168000 Sub Case Back Inside-TRF.jpg (220.8 KB, 105 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote