The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2018, 05:36 AM   #1
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Planning to buy used Submariner 14060 - what to look for?

Hi guys, this is my first post but I've been reading the forum for a while.
I'm on the market for a used 14060M and I was wondering what to look for when checking used 14060M and what questions to ask the dealer. Also what came originally with that model (box, paperwork etc)?
GM_FFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 05:55 AM   #2
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Look for a serious seller, the 14060/14060M is a great choice
1 watch and bracelet conditions
2 official warranty (card the latest products 2008 and later)
Old 16 January 2018, 06:08 AM   #3
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry62 View Post
Look for a serious seller, the 14060/14060M is a great choice
1 watch and bracelet conditions
2 official warranty (card the latest products 2008 and later)
Thanks Gerry, regarding the watch and bracelet condition, are there examples of bad polishing on the forum I can check? What else should be inspected?

Only Box and warranty card are essential?
Old 16 January 2018, 06:47 AM   #4
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
primarily warranty card /paper

sharp edges

non-worn reliefs of the Rolex crown

my watch

Old 16 January 2018, 06:54 AM   #5
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Be careful lots of scams out there for this model
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 06:59 AM   #6
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Key distinction within the 14060M reference is 2-liner (non-COSC) vs 4-liner (COSC, engraved rehaut). Later 4-liners have the blue parachrom hairspring.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:48 AM   #7
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
An honest, reputable dealer. Remember buy the dealer.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 12:05 PM   #8
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much guys yes I’m looking for the 4-line COSC just like the one in the pictures.
Old 16 January 2018, 12:16 PM   #9
ink3027
"TRF" Member

nm
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:58 AM   #10
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
I think if you buy a used watch it's always safest to buy from the original owner in a face to face deal. You know the provenance if they can show you their name on the warranty card along with the bill of sale, etc.

I would say avoid dealers unless you are knowledgeable, as not all of them are reputable although I am sure some are highly reputable, but also they will have their own profit margin so will be more expensive than buying direct from the original owner.

Also it might be best to avoid high street jeweller pawnbrokers as I am not sure how reputable they tend to be. To recount my personal experience, I was thinking of selling my Submariner about a year ago, I took it along with my warranty card that has the name on it to prove that I am the original owner, to a pawnbrokers (in Liverpool, England) and they rejected it claiming there was a scratch on the dial or the glass, and said that it wasn't worth much or certainly not worth them making an offer on it. Worried, I took it to Rolex in London and they inspected it fully as part of a service quote and I also showed them the warranty card with my name and also my original bill of sale from the AD named on the card. Rolex said they had no doubt about me being the original owner and they had no doubt about the authenticity and confirmed there was no scratch on the dial or the glass. I subsequently had it serviced by Rolex in London and it's like new again and I have grown to like it again, although I still find it too heavy on the wrist and I do prefer to wear my Seiko watch instead, but I don't plan to sell it anymore after being told how much they have gone up in value (I was only looking for about £2000 for it at the time due to my ignorance of secondhand prices for Rolex).

Here is mine ��

About the sharp edges thing, Rolex returned mine after full service with much more pronounced bevel edges that originally as you can see. So again maybe that doesn't necessarily mean it's fake but if you buy from the original owner they can tell you the full history of the watch and what's been done to it.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 06:05 AM   #11
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
By the way, that was its first service and as i said Rolex London polished it with much wider bevel edges on the lugs as you can see in my pic compared to the other forumite's picture of his watch which was what mine looked like originally. I'm not sure therefore in answer to your earlier question about 'bad polishing' whether wide bevels are an example of bad polishing, unless Rolex London does bad polishing??
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 06:37 AM   #12
run23
"TRF" Member

Just buy from a trusted seller like DavidSW and you’ll be fine. The letter on the serial number (before they switched to random) will tell you the general year of production.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 09:03 AM   #13
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 14060
Buy from a trusted seller from TRF with a ton of positive feedback. One or two "Great seller" comments are not enough for me to part with several thousand dollars or more. Gerry62 had some great tips also.

1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 09:41 AM   #14
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Good to know how many owners, service history, why seller is listing for sale.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 09:46 AM   #15
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Davidsw has one on his website right now, great seller. I just bought a great example from au_911tt. He is a great trusted seller here also. Good luck

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 09:57 AM   #16
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I got mine from Chase at Nashville watch, what sold me was condition, no box or papers but very sharp edges and 12 links
Nikrnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:56 PM   #17
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
Be careful. Lots a cons out there. Buy from someone with references & history

Richard B
36mm datejust, Custom Explorer, Pepsi, Hulk, yellow gold dd2
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 12:02 AM   #18
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Another vote for buying from the trusted sellers right here on TRF. I picked up this full-set, random-serial 4-liner from Thanh (Takuya) a little more than a year ago. It's an absolutely pristine perfect watch. Regards, -Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:01 AM   #19
derekwd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO XL
So I am getting ready to sell a watch just the the OP wants. I am still new to posting on this forum even though I have been a member for many years. I have no problem meeting in person, however my question to some of you is how I can I make myself look better to a potential buyer, is there something extra I can do to prove myself. I have 100% positive feedback on eBay and multiple positive reviews for buying and selling on watchuseek but nothing on here.
derekwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 06:23 AM   #20
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much guys for all the help, I've contacted the two seller that were referred on this thread but don't have the watch at the moment, any other trusted sellers?
Old 15 February 2018, 12:56 AM   #21
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, quick question, I haven't found the right watch yet but I was wondering if anyone here in the DC / Northern Virginia area has brought their Rolex for inspection at any local AD (I guess that has a watchmaker on staff) and how much did they charge?
Old 15 February 2018, 01:08 AM   #22
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Trusted Seller for sure you will get what you pay for no worries..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 04:07 AM   #23
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Trusted Seller for sure you will get what you pay for no worries..
Thank you but the doesn't answer my question.
Old 15 February 2018, 05:46 AM   #24
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I wouldn't expect that many ADs have a watchmaker on staff these days. Any experienced salesperson could look at it and spot an obvious fake. You can also post pictures in this forum and ask the very knowledgeable folks here if they think it's genuine. Not foolproof, but a strong good start to weed out fakes.

My first Rolex was a 14060M and I regret selling it, but so it goes... I think that many folks here make too big of a deal out of polishing. Don't get too worked up over it. I look at the condition of the watch, how much stretch is in the bracelet, if all the books and boxes and cards and removed links are present and any service history.

Derek: When I first started selling watches here, I relied on my feedback history on eBay and other watch forums. Sure, it took a certain leap of faith for the first few buyers to trust me. They got over it by calling and talking to me, recognizing that I took very sharp, very good pictures of the watches, I disclosed all history and imperfections, and of course they could google me and my address to make sure that I was (and still am) a real person that they could "track down" if they had to.

When I buy from people with limited sale history, I ask for things like drivers' licenses, addresses, references, etc. One guy I bought from was a cop in Chicago - or so he said - and I verified it several ways including having a friend local to the seller meet him and check out the watch (and the seller).

Also, as a first time (or low feedback) seller, you should expect to ask a bit less and accept less than the going rate for your watch, to allow for the slightly greater risk.

IMHO.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 06:23 AM   #25
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I wouldn't expect that many ADs have a watchmaker on staff these days. Any experienced salesperson could look at it and spot an obvious fake. You can also post pictures in this forum and ask the very knowledgeable folks here if they think it's genuine. Not foolproof, but a strong good start to weed out fakes.

My first Rolex was a 14060M and I regret selling it, but so it goes... I think that many folks here make too big of a deal out of polishing. Don't get too worked up over it. I look at the condition of the watch, how much stretch is in the bracelet, if all the books and boxes and cards and removed links are present and any service history.

Derek: When I first started selling watches here, I relied on my feedback history on eBay and other watch forums. Sure, it took a certain leap of faith for the first few buyers to trust me. They got over it by calling and talking to me, recognizing that I took very sharp, very good pictures of the watches, I disclosed all history and imperfections, and of course they could google me and my address to make sure that I was (and still am) a real person that they could "track down" if they had to.

When I buy from people with limited sale history, I ask for things like drivers' licenses, addresses, references, etc. One guy I bought from was a cop in Chicago - or so he said - and I verified it several ways including having a friend local to the seller meet him and check out the watch (and the seller).

Also, as a first time (or low feedback) seller, you should expect to ask a bit less and accept less than the going rate for your watch, to allow for the slightly greater risk.

IMHO.
Thank you Michael, it's great to have trusted seller on the forum with excellent feedback but given the limited number of 14060M for sale we need to widen the search. I was trying to posts pictures but I don't have enough posts yet.
Old 16 February 2018, 02:44 AM   #26
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Here are some pictures, what do you guys think?

Old 16 February 2018, 02:49 AM   #27
withthesword
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
id grab that in a heartbeat

My Flickr Photostream

Wishlist: 1984 gmt
withthesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 03:22 AM   #28
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by withthesword View Post
id grab that in a heartbeat
Thank you, everything looks right at least in these pictures?
Old 16 February 2018, 04:18 AM   #29
jlevitt9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_FFX View Post
Thank you, everything looks right at least in these pictures?
I'm a newbie as well but just purchased a 14060 last weekend, my first. Two key things I can pass on:

- Buy from a trusted seller. Jared (ponycar350), Chase at Nashville watches, DavidSW, Takuya, Tony Geha, Kirill Yuzh, Patrick at OCRolexGuy

- Put in your correspondence that you're allowed 72 hours to take to a reputable dealer for them to open up and inspect, and if any major issues (eg. a frankenwatch) you're allowed to return on your dime.

If you have those two things in place you're golden. I dealt with Jared and never had any worries of it not being real. The good people at Jewelers on time in Newport confirmed this for me.

If you buy from a trusted seller papers are only meaningful if you want them for provenance.

Good luck!

Josh
jlevitt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 05:17 AM   #30
SurfDiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD-DB
Im also in NVA. I would avoid Tourneau, L&B is good, I think they charge 125 ish. Finks is reliable, but they’ll send it out. If you dont mind the drive to Fredericksburg, Crown Jewelers is an old AD. Call them. They are reasonable. Chase at Nashville is reputable. Ive purchased a Rolex seadweller from Tony at European Watches. He was great to deal with. If you have access to the Navy/Marine Corps Exchange system, they have a vendor who sells used Rolexes. Hit and miss with price. I got a great deal on a 2-line no date and no sales tax. 2-year warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SurfDiver is offline   Reply With Quote