The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2018, 07:10 PM   #1
mangoseed
Banned

Is the BLNR really just a poor substitute for a Pepsi or Coke?

If the Pepsi or Coke were reintroduced in SS then BLNR prices would most likely drop lower than the all black bezel.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Therolexlogin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
What makes you think this? I’d take the BLNR over the Pepsi or the Coke any day. IMO it’s more versatile than the other two.
Therolexlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therolexlogin View Post
What makes you think this? I’d take the BLNR over the Pepsi or the Coke any day. IMO it’s more versatile than the other two.
Not sure what you mean Andy?

Wouldn't they just look like a BLNR with a different bezel?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:37 PM   #4
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Depends on how much you like blue and black? I imagine it's all you're going to get in SS to be honest. Perhaps another entirely different combo but forget about old Coke or mighty Pepsi - The Rich Man's GMT.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
I have often wondered this myself. Its fair to say that the BLNR would take a hit if Rolex introduced SS Pepsi and/or Coke models. But I would not go so far as to say its a "poor substitute". The BLNR is a modern and beautiful take on the classic GMT bi-colour bezel and it will always be in demand and will always have its admirers.
Old 16 January 2018, 08:32 PM   #6
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

I love the BLNR color scheme as much as Coke and Pepsi, it's the band that keeps me at bay don't like PCLs. Now if it came on a jubilee...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:40 PM   #7
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
The BLNR is a great variation on the bi-color theme of the GMT. Looked at another way, it's a half-Blueberry.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:50 PM   #8
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
No it's not, it' better from a tool watch pov: the blue for the day hours, black for night. Red is associated with temperatures, so not really its place on a GMT. Based on colour scheme alone, that depends on anyone's taste.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:53 PM   #9
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
When I bought my BLNR, the AD had a full selection of bi-colored, all black, all steel, and blue/black bezel watches.

The blue/black bezeled watch captured my heart. Cost had zero to do with the decision. I know a lot more about Rolex thanks to this forum and I’d still make the same decision.

My tastes lean toward conservative. YG DayDate, stainless DateJust, and. Calatrava along with the BLNR complete my small collection.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
If the Pepsi or Coke were reintroduced in SS then BLNR prices would most likely drop lower than the all black bezel.
The bit in bold doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm sure most people would agree that the BLNR is more in demand than the LN. New variants of the GMT-II would not alter that equation. The BLNR would almost certainly take a hit in the advent of a SS Pepsi or Coke, but so would the LN. So whilst secondary BLNR prices might drop since you'd expect demand might reduce, exactly the same would happen to the LN.

No?
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:57 PM   #11
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I dont understand how a watch can be a replacement for a can of soda
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:22 PM   #12
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Is the BLNR really just a poor substitute for a Pepsi or Coke?

No way! Might for a short bit, but then I would assume they would also discontinue the BLNR, which means it will be gaining value over time. Plus think about it, the color variation of the black and blue makes more sense than red/black or red/blue.

Black for night and blue for day. Plus it’s much more versatile than a Pepsi or Coke.

Human nature is to always go after what we don’t have. The thrill of the chase will always be more than the joy of owning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:24 PM   #13
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
The bit in bold doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm sure most people would agree that the BLNR is more in demand than the LN. New variants of the GMT-II would not alter that equation. The BLNR would almost certainly take a hit in the advent of a SS Pepsi or Coke, but so would the LN. So whilst secondary BLNR prices might drop since you'd expect demand might reduce, exactly the same would happen to the LN.

No?
If anything this would push the BLNR value UP because it would be a candidate you would think for retirement.

Sure you can say this is about color preference but like someone has pointed out it's more about the blue of day and black of night so fits much better with the GMT in my opinion.

It's a future classic for sure
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:28 PM   #14
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Well, BLNR is a more refined watch than the 5 digit reference (bracelet, ceramics, overall look and feel). I see it as an upgrade not as a substitute let alone a poor one. Of course 16710s are great watches, i am a fan and my first Rolex was a 16710.

Also i do not see how the price of BLNR could drop to a price lower than LN. How did you come up to this conclusion? Is there any reasoning behind it? Can you elaborate?

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:40 PM   #15
Blingtone
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV no Rehault
The original GMT was quickly adopted by Pan-Am pilots in the '50s and I'm guessing in those cramped and dim cockpit areas a Red/Blue bezel was more legible than a blue/black combo. ROLEX would undoubtedly have tested all the options back then.
I bought my GMT in '83 and I don't recall either a coke or black bezel choice then [I would not have chosen them anyway!] - I don't think these were introduced until the GMT II in the late 80s/ early 90s, which again was way, way before the BLNRs were introduced to a different sort of buyer/target audience.
Blingtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:42 PM   #16
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
If anything this would push the BLNR value UP because it would be a candidate you would think for retirement.

Sure you can say this is about color preference but like someone has pointed out it's more about the blue of day and black of night so fits much better with the GMT in my opinion.

Yeah good point.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:44 PM   #17
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
It's all about what you like there's no better than other, I love the pepsi bezel of the 16710 but the better clasp and bracelet of the 6 digits is a plus IMO , My problem with modern GMT's is the busy bezel with the big numbers but anyways I might still get one.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:49 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I have often wondered this myself. Its fair to say that the BLNR would take a hit if Rolex introduced SS Pepsi and/or Coke models. But I would not go so far as to say its a "poor substitute". The BLNR is a modern and beautiful take on the classic GMT bi-colour bezel and it will always be in demand and will always have its admirers.
Spot on
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:03 PM   #19
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The BLNR is a beautiful watch and has been trading on a bubble since introduction. The prices have remained strong due to a lack of availability and discounting. Rolex will not introduce a SS Pepsi as the WG Pepsi has the market. If a SS coke bezel is introduced the BLNR will not face much of a reduction as you will not be able to get one for a long period of time. When availability exceeds demand then the BLNR will be adjusted downward in price. Simple in looking at Rolex and the restricted releases of models to AD's. If Rolex releases more volume you may see a different outcome.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:07 PM   #20
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
No.
Old 16 January 2018, 10:07 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I prefer my BLNR so no
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:12 PM   #22
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

I think more sooner than later their will be a new bezel option when they start to introduce the new 32.. movements into the GMT´S.. Why not a Green Black bezel?
Rokoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:22 PM   #23
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I prefer the BLNR to the Coke and would never buy a mixed-berry Pepsi unless they actually got the colors right..
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:35 PM   #24
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tudor North Flag
Rolex makes a metal/ceramic GMTIIc to fit a broad range of tastes and budgets.

I honestly don't see how one can be a poor substitute for another, unless the buyer closes his eyes and just chooses one without regard to personal taste.

The BLNR is a beautiful bezel--far more beautiful than any one photo can capture.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, then theirs the LN.

If that doesn't do it for you, then PM is the only other choice.

There is as yet no Coke bezel in six-digits, so if that's what tugging at your heartstrings, you're just going to have to wait.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:39 PM   #25
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The BLNR was the first mixed color ceramic bezel. I thought the issue with the BLRO was that it was so hard/$ to create the bezels, so it is only applied to WG examples.

The blue color has multiple references in the GMT lineage. The GMT line is ripe for a refresh, I wonder if a "Blueberry" platinum or white gold model is released this year.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:44 PM   #26
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
The way you word your question, leads one to believe that there is a consensus that the BLNR is a substitute of some kind. When it is not.

It is actually one of the most popular watches on the planet today. Whatever that is worth to you, or anyone else. But either way, it is a fact.

Doesn't appear that any Rolex watch is a substitute of one thing or another.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:48 PM   #27
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
I’d happily keep my BLNR and 16710 Pepsi.
Best of both worlds.

Ps, if you’re waiting for a Steel Pepsi, you’ll be waiting a long time.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:52 PM   #28
Juantxo
Banned

The blnr is not as flashy as the others with red.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:58 PM   #29
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post

I'm not sure it would. Rolex invested heavily in the two colour ceramic bezel process. That amount of R&D cost takes a long time to be recovered.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:11 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If a CokeC is released I think BLNR prices would merely stabilise, greys would withstand early selling pressure from those wanting to instantly switch, this isn't their first rodeo, and then as the new release slowly drips into the market, frustrated demand will turn back on the BLNR and continue to keep prices stable. If it is discoed, prices will rise, but that's very unlikely.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote