The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2018, 07:23 PM   #1
fishofsteel
"TRF" Member

Am I crazy to sell?

After a long search for a new 114060 in the UK - and frustration with the random rubbish ADs were telling me about wait lists - I finally gave up and bought a new one while on holiday in Cologne in Dec 2017. Even then only one AD in the city had one in stock and they were reluctant to sell it to me.

Sadly with the poor exchange rate I paid the EURO tax and effectively bought over UK retail.

Cut to today, and I fear I'm going to have to sell it as **IF** I've not been fibbed to I'm getting close to the top of the wait list for a BLNR locally and will need to somehow pay for it **OR** I quite fancy a BB inhouse instead, something I can wear every day without worrying too much about it.

I was offered 5100-5300 from a well know watch purchasing company. Of course I would refuse to sell unless they go with 5300, but even at that prie am I crazy to sell at that? Is it worth holding onto it?

What do people think?

Apologies for the indecision. This is my most expensive watch, and I really pushed myself to buy it - but maybe because of that I've barely worn it. So torn.
fishofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Danwealth
"TRF" Member

No. Dont sell it

It is the best modern Rolex diver
Danwealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:34 PM   #3
WBA_Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
If you do this and buy the BLNR then you'll realize that BLNR is more expensive and much more fragile with it's CPL and you'll end up not wearing it at all.

My advice, keep this for everyday use and in time - it's not a rush to get another Rolex in 1 month - you'll be able to buy a BLNR or something else with PCL.
WBA_Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:35 PM   #4
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
I don’t see the point if you’ve barely worn the Sub due to its value then won’t a BLNR just make things worse?
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

You won't get more than that for it mate... Not worn, not this side of price increase/new model released... Dealers need profit to be motivated!

Sounds like you need to do a lot of thinking re what you actually want!

I would not be in a rush to do any of it until your next watch is in the picture.... Could be months... The sub will always sell
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:14 PM   #6
matthewbell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 + 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
You won't get more than that for it mate... Not worn, not this side of price increase/new model released... Dealers need profit to be motivated!

Sounds like you need to do a lot of thinking re what you actually want!

I would not be in a rush to do any of it until your next watch is in the picture.... Could be months... The sub will always sell
This is excellent advice...
matthewbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:26 PM   #7
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

I'm confused, you bought a Sub last month because you really wanted it. But this month you really want a BLNR?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:32 PM   #8
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Do not sell it. Wear it for a year and see what you think. The Sub C is a classic.
Old 16 January 2018, 08:39 PM   #9
fishofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewbell View Post
This is excellent advice...
I'm coming around to this way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick8moses View Post
I'm confused, you bought a Sub last month because you really wanted it. But this month you really want a BLNR?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sort of, always wanted another sub since I sold my 16610LV a good few years back and kicked myself ever since. Then early last year I decided I also wanted the BLNR (if I'm honest I probably got caught up in the hype). I went on the list of randomness for one, but never gave up on the sub.

I honestly don't think I **really want** the BLNR enough if it forces me to sell the sub - and as others have pointed out if I'm not wanting to wear the sub I do have daily it's going to be worse if I got the BLNR.

Think my mind is made up on keeping the sub, wearing it more and removing myself from the BLNR list - I just needed to think it through. Thanks all.
Old 16 January 2018, 08:52 PM   #10
Benjo74
"TRF" Member

I have an 116710LN as my daily. Yes it has PCLs which are more susceptible to swirls and scratches but it is still a solid Rolex sports model and is more than capable of daily use.

The obvious answer is you need both, but there is a financial consequence of this, not to mention a marital consequence for a lot of us!

If it were me, I’d stick with the 114060 for a few years and wear it daily. It is great and if after a few years you want to flip then trade it for a lightly used BLNR to minimise losses. (Assuming UK used prices come back to sensible levels in a few years)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benjo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:52 PM   #11
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishofsteel View Post
I'm coming around to this way of thinking.

Sort of, always wanted another sub since I sold my 16610LV a good few years back and kicked myself ever since. Then early last year I decided I also wanted the BLNR (if I'm honest I probably got caught up in the hype). I went on the list of randomness for one, but never gave up on the sub.

I honestly don't think I **really want** the BLNR enough if it forces me to sell the sub - and as others have pointed out if I'm not wanting to wear the sub I do have daily it's going to be worse if I got the BLNR.

Think my mind is made up on keeping the sub, wearing it more and removing myself from the BLNR list - I just needed to think it through. Thanks all.
As above - wait until you get the call on the BLNR. Stick it on a CC and take a few days to decide which one you are happiest with, and sell the other before you need to pay your CC bill

If its the Sub its not likely to go down in price any time soon and if its the BLNR as long as its effectively unworn you'll at least get your money back. Might even make a small profit.

Do all this with your CC payment dates and it won't cost you a penny in interest

(I'm assuming you don't have the cash available to keep both as you said you'd have to sell the sub to get the BLNR)

PS - once you've decided, don't stress wearing whichever one it is. You won't break it and even if you do it will come back as new at service time. It just needs a bit of common sense applied.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:56 PM   #12
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
As above - wait until you get the call on the BLNR. Stick it on a CC and take a few days to decide which one you are happiest with, and sell the other before you need to pay your CC bill

If its the Sub its not likely to go down in price any time soon and if its the BLNR as long as its effectively unworn you'll at least get your money back. Might even make a small profit.

Do all this with your CC payment dates and it won't cost you a penny in interest

(I'm assuming you don't have the cash available to keep both as you said you'd have to sell the sub to get the BLNR)

PS - once you've decided, don't stress wearing whichever one it is. You won't break it and even if you do it will come back as new at service time. It just needs a bit of common sense applied.
Spot on
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:40 PM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Spot on
Agree, have everything set up so when you see the BLNR you can make the right choice for you.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:45 PM   #14
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Keep the Sub.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:17 AM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Agree with Scott, Nairn, and Neil above. No need to make any sudden moves and, as you said, you're kicking yourself for letting the LV go. Don't make the same mistake twice.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:21 AM   #16
Magwitch
Banned

Often, having is less satisfying than wanting.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:36 AM   #17
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwitch View Post
Often, having is less satisfying than wanting.
Isn’t that the truth! I could never see selling a sub no date and loosing that much to fund a GMT

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:42 AM   #18
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Enjoy the no date sub!!!
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:49 AM   #19
EmilA
"TRF" Member

SubC ND is a beautiful watch but a BLNR trumps it. I like the PCL’s too!
EmilA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:08 AM   #20
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I would for sure do this assuming you get the blnr at uk list price. I think the price on the sub will stay strong for a while so enjoy it while you wait and as mentioned buy the blnr on a card and tAke a little time to decide which you really want.

To your other point, I suspect the sub could take as good if not better beating than the black bay. Certainly the ceramic bezel should withstand wear better than the aluminium one.....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:19 AM   #21
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I would keep the Sub No date. It's a classic, very clean looking Sub. Yes, the BLNR is a step above, a stunning piece indeed, BUT with your concerns regarding scratching and what not, I feel you would have a harder time wearing the GMT because of the increased amount of "scratch magnet" shiny parts, compared to the Sub. Not to mention, the GMT is more money too! Enjoy the Sub, it's a perfect daily wear, IMO!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:41 AM   #22
Foxglove
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Sell the ND Sub off to the highest bidder -- private sale is likely to get the best pricing. Then buy the BLNR and be done with it.

My actual advice would be that if you are that tight on cash, keep your cash.
Foxglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:45 AM   #23
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
BLNR > Sub

But I'd hold the Sub until the BLNR comes in and then go look at it and make your decision from there.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:50 AM   #24
JacksonStone
Banned

At the risk of talking to you like I'm your father, I think you need to figure out your priorities before you begin throwing around your cash. The fact that you were willing to shell out a premium for the Sub means either you really wanted it, in which case you shouldn't sell it; or you didn't really want it, which means you were foolish to spend so much on it (or buy it at all). If the former, it's a no brainer: you really love the Sub, so keep it. If the latter, then you're essentially throwing good money after bad, and suggests you can't trust your judgment at this point in time. I find it doubtful you would have gotten a clear perspective in just a few weeks, a point underscored by the very existence of this thread: if you were really clear on what you want, you wouldn't be asking us for our opinions. Given that you would have to sell the Sub to finance the BLNR, that indicates these are not trivial purchases for you. I recommend you sit with your first decision for a while and put the BLNR out of your head. Haste makes waste.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 06:21 AM   #25
drm20
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Just one more
I just sold mine last week and REGRET it. I'm now looking to replace it.
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:35 AM   #26
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Personally prefer the Sub over the GMT. Worn both, still have the 114060.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 09:52 AM   #27
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
If I could only keep one it would definitely be my 114060.If I could only own one watch it would be a 114060. Must have for me.
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:53 PM   #28
fishofsteel
"TRF" Member

It's on my wrist as I write, so I'm sold on the approach most of you have suggested :-)

So damn comfy with the glidelock clasp.
Old 17 January 2018, 08:11 PM   #29
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Offload the Sub and get the BLNR, it's much nicer. Whoever said it was "fragile" has no idea what they're talking about. I've beaten the crap out of mine around the world many times for years with no thought of babying it, and it still looks awesome.

Enough angst, just do it.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 08:41 PM   #30
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
No way would I sell a Submariner to fund a BLNR.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote