The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 January 2018, 01:57 AM   #1
skydwellerdan
"TRF" Member

DateJust II trade in for Sky Dweller

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was looking for a bit of guidance. I was in town on Saturday and on the off chance enquired in a well known retailer if they had any Sky Dwellers, preferably stainless steel, I was told they didn't but they may have a bi-metal version but they had a list of people to call first who had expressed an interest so he couldn't show it to me until today. Well today I viewed the watch and I would love to own it. I currently have an 116300 Datejust II November 2016 which I was looking to trade in but I was knocked sideways by the horrific trade in offer. I'm not green to the world of watch trading, you never get what you deem the watch to be worth, not even close but this was particularly offensive especially seeing as the one they are selling they could give none of the usual ten or even five percent off RRP. I really can't let mine go for what they have offered but just wanted to know what other people do in this position? Obviously selling privately is an option but this will take time and I don't want to miss out on this watch. Any advice appreciated.
skydwellerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:25 AM   #2
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

If you don’t want to miss out, buy the Skydweller and then sell your DJ privately. If that isn’t economically feasible then wait for the next one. You could also explore a trade with one of the well known after market sellers.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:28 AM   #3
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
If you don’t want to miss out, buy the Skydweller and then sell your DJ privately. If that isn’t economically feasible then wait for the next one. You could also explore a trade with one of the well known after market sellers.
Concur!
Kiddodoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:29 AM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yeah...that will almost always be the case for trade ins. Better off selling it privately, or if you have a grey dealer that you trust, see what you can get for it on your own.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:31 AM   #5
skydwellerdan
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Old 17 January 2018, 02:36 AM   #6
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Welcome buddy!
You really have to weigh which is more important:
a. getting the SkyDweller now and enjoying it right away by accepting taking the hit from the ridiculously low offer of the seller; or
b. selling privately (long wait) and purchasing once the Sky Dweller is available again at an unknown future date but having the benefit of having some extra cash in your pocket.
Both have plus and minus points...

What price have they offered by the way? Have you seen/compared used 116300 DJII prices on chrono24? It is a discontinued model as you may already know.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:50 AM   #7
skydwellerdan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis View Post
Welcome buddy!
You really have to weigh which is more important:
a. getting the SkyDweller now and enjoying it right away by accepting taking the hit from the ridiculously low offer of the seller; or
b. selling privately (long wait) and purchasing once the Sky Dweller is available again at an unknown future date but having the benefit of having some extra cash in your pocket.
Both have plus and minus points...

What price have they offered by the way? Have you seen/compared used 116300 DJII prices on chrono24? It is a discontinued model as you may already know.
Cheers! They offered me £2750, the watch is in mint condition. I'm aware it's discontinued but I'm also aware that price is way short. A fair price would be £3750, privately I'd be happy with anything over £4250 but there was no way I could do a deal at that price. However it seems I shouldn't have been so quick to say no deal as I just had a call and they have now sold the watch. Gutted. Although it does now give me the time to sell my watch privately and then be in a position to by outright when another Sky Dweller is available. Dealer reckons within 3 months.
Old 17 January 2018, 02:57 AM   #8
meganfox17
Banned

Yeah, I've a similar Facebook story to share, a Malay food stall owner wanted to flip his pre-owned DJ2 smooth bezel black dial plus cash for a used SubD ceramic but left the shop pissed off after the Grey dealer only offered a trade-in value of US$ 4000. That's awful. I think he decided to keep his DJ at the end...or maybe not...I don't know...
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:28 AM   #9
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

DJ II has been a poor retainer of value. I got lucky I was able to unload by blue Arabic flutter for close to 6k
Anestheticsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:28 AM   #10
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
first off- you don't own a Sky Dweller so you need to change your profile name from SaydwellerDan to DatejustDan......
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:36 AM   #11
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t take that deal. If you really want a Sky Dweller, sell the DJII on the forum. Dealers like to hit you with these ridiculously low trade-in values to see how desperate you are.
Old 17 January 2018, 05:56 AM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
first off- you don't own a Sky Dweller so you need to change your profile name from SaydwellerDan to DatejustDan......
Lol agree

Trades get hosed typically
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote