The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2020, 02:58 AM   #1
*M5
"TRF" Member

Any tips for good practice after being put on 'the list'?

Just as the title states, I was curious to find out what sort of follow-up would increase the chances of AD coming through with the watch, if any.

Cheers!
*M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:01 AM   #2
YYR
"TRF" Member

It all depends on the AD, there is no set rules just common sense, you can’t really know what is going through the salespersons head, you can just try to be friendly and come in every so often and remind them that you are there
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:04 AM   #3
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Either stopping by to converse occaisionally and make them like you to the point they WANT to sell you a watch or spend money with them so they know you're good for it when the piece comes in that you're waiting on. Or better yet, a combination of the two.
pbubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:07 AM   #4
*M5
"TRF" Member

Been placed on a wait list with two different ADs, have purchase history with both (non-Rolex), yet none were able to offer a wait time or guarantee. Just stated to be patient. Does this seem realistic or just a brush-off?
Old 5 February 2020, 03:09 AM   #5
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I worked for my AD in advertising for years and I have no idea about lists or what you need to do to get on their lists or if lists even exist?! I bought Rolexes that were hard to get from like my YG Paul Newman Daytona in 2000 and a Kermit Sub in 2004. More recently, they were unable to get me my DSSD JC Deep Blue so I managed to snag one from a Miami AD. The Miami AD got me the new white dial ceramic Daytona a couple years after that and again my local AD couldn't promise me anything other than years of waiting. Might have been a case of smaller city like where I live compared to Miami? So now my local AD is getting me a YG 116508 green dial but I have no idea how hard that one is to get?? All seemed very random to me and not related to any "VIP" plan or any actual agenda??!!
Old 5 February 2020, 03:19 AM   #6
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by *M5 View Post
Been placed on a wait list with two different ADs, have purchase history with both (non-Rolex), yet none were able to offer a wait time or guarantee. Just stated to be patient. Does this seem realistic or just a brush-off?
I think it makes sense...better than being bullsh*tted in either direction.

Just drop in every few weeks or so and talk watches. Try developing a rapport around the subject without always bringing in the "when" and the "if" and the "maybe." Snag a $400 pair of earrings for your wife or GF. So what? That's what for most of us, half a day's pay? These SA's make 5% (most do). Show a little "love" and see what happens. Then, rate the (hopefully positive) experience on social media...that will also get you noticed.

Play the long game. Sounds to me like you are off to a good start. This is a luxury item acquisition that is won by patience and persistence.

Good luck!
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:26 AM   #7
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

1. Get on list
2. Proceed to buy $100K of jewelry you don't need.
3. Wait for a call next week saying your Daytona is in.

Your results may vary.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:56 AM   #8
*M5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabreath View Post
1. Get on list
2. Proceed to buy $100K of jewelry you don't need.
3. Wait for a call next week saying your Daytona is in.

Your results may vary.
Old 5 February 2020, 03:57 AM   #9
*M5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
I think it makes sense...better than being bullsh*tted in either direction.

Just drop in every few weeks or so and talk watches. Try developing a rapport around the subject without always bringing in the "when" and the "if" and the "maybe." Snag a $400 pair of earrings for your wife or GF. So what? That's what for most of us, half a day's pay? These SA's make 5% (most do). Show a little "love" and see what happens. Then, rate the (hopefully positive) experience on social media...that will also get you noticed.

Play the long game. Sounds to me like you are off to a good start. This is a luxury item acquisition that is won by patience and persistence.

Good luck!

Will do :) Cheers!
Old 5 February 2020, 03:58 AM   #10
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
The answer is yes. The more you allow people at the AD know you the better. The nicer you are the faster they will deliver :-)
Put your charisma at work
Quote:
Just as the title states, I was curious to find out what sort of follow-up would increase the chances of AD coming through with the watch, if any.

Cheers!
Old 5 February 2020, 04:07 AM   #11
darthgman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I agree with Rori 100%
darthgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 04:11 AM   #12
Rori
"TRF" Member

Tactic tested and retested. It works
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthgman View Post
I agree with Rori 100%
Old 5 February 2020, 04:33 AM   #13
*M5
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the good input
Old 5 February 2020, 04:39 AM   #14
JohnnyMack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DeepSea Blue
Be polite and understand the market when you go in, but be reasonable with expectations. Face to face does way more than phone calls.

I think ADs like to sell to big spenders, but like the little folks too, that immediately pick up their pieces and are not A$$holes. It works.
Old 5 February 2020, 04:48 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The best thing to do is to make a large non-watch purchase on an item with a good margin. Pay full retail. Then buy a watch which they have had in inventory a while. The key is to become and stay a great customer. Buying only the hot Rolex models does not make a person a good customer as the store can easily sell those items. Its the buyers of the other stuff, who gladly pay full retail, who really are their best customers. Its why so many have realized that in this scarce market, on most models it may make sense to buy used or grey and not spend money on all the other stuff and make all the visits to an AD. They will sell the watch you want when it comes in, to the best interest of the store, whatever that may be. If you are a real good customer, not just a hard to get Rolex watch person, that should mean something to them.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:11 AM   #16
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Purchase a bunch of high-margin Rolex watches that have less demand and that you don't want and don't flip them lol
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:21 AM   #17
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

That would depend on which watch you're waiting for. Daytona, probably impossible unless you spend tons of money there. A Sub, probably just follow most of the advice above (stop in here and there so they don't forget you etc).
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:25 AM   #18
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Depends on the piece and AD. I'd try to make it a habit to stop by every so often and check in. My AD is in a mall so it makes it easier - I can pretend to be there for something else and just pop in.

I do believe the squeaky wheel gets the oil - within reason of course.
Old 5 February 2020, 05:30 AM   #19
aayates
"TRF" Member

This seems ridiculous to me. You should not need advice to convince someone to sell you a watch, an expensive luxury watch at that. I would wait until the supply comes back or, if you're wealthy, buy a grey new watch. Or, there are plenty of brands out there that are technical equals of Rolex. I am at a loss as to how desperate folks become. I remember in the mid-80's there was a nissan maxima I wanted that was very popular. The dealers were marking it up several $k above retail. I asked why, and they said it was because they could. I left.
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:43 AM   #20
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post

Put your charisma at work

I’ll never get a watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:46 AM   #21
R_Rated
"TRF" Member

Here's something that isn't talked about enough.... Every time you visit, bring a buddy that would be a potential new client - even if not for Rolex. Valentines is next week... have a buddy looking for Jewelry? Bring him with you and introduce to your AD.
R_Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:52 AM   #22
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
I gave up on Rolex. Just bought a Zenith EP 38mm instead. So many other nice watches out there. I'll just wear my sub and zenith for now. If I get the call for the Pepsi, great, if not, who cares. I'm not begging anybody to take my money. Plus the other brands have great discounts. The day of reckoning will come.
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 06:08 AM   #23
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

It is not recommended to hold your breath. As previously said results may vary.
Old 5 February 2020, 06:31 AM   #24
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
You really need to buypass the SAs and massage the allocation manager or, if a smaller AD, the owner.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 06:35 AM   #25
Rori
"TRF" Member

Icon12 Yes you can,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I’ll never get a watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5 February 2020, 06:37 AM   #26
DPE
"TRF" Member

Remember to Clean your teeth before you go into the AD to take a present at the start of a new month. On the way out, wave and say "Missing you already"
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 06:57 AM   #27
*M5
"TRF" Member

I am by no means a 'whale' type of customer, but by reading several of the threads on here I saw that there are plenty of posts from people stating that they have had no previous history, no previous crazy amount of spending and they still managed to get their pieces in a somewhat timely fashion.

I guess I was curious to see what they did, aside from the ones that have a solid reason and story for wanting a certain piece.
I am just a regular Joe that fell in love with the level of craftsmanship that these watches provide after having purchased the Explorer and I would like to have another one :)
Old 5 February 2020, 07:03 AM   #28
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
I am by no means a 'whale' type of customer, but by reading several of the threads on here I saw that there are plenty of posts from people stating that they have had no previous history, no previous crazy amount of spending and they still managed to get their pieces in a somewhat timely fashion.

I guess I was curious to see what they did, aside from the ones that have a solid reason and story for wanting a certain piece.
I am just a regular Joe that fell in love with the level of craftsmanship that these watches provide after having purchased the Explorer and I would like to have another one :)
In many cases “what they did” was they got lucky. Right place, right time. As prices have climbed that strategy has probably run its course.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 07:08 AM   #29
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Good man - ignore the usual sarcasm and empty speeches about taking "a stand" against those horrible AD's! They can surely enjoy their Zenith's and Omega's and what-not and i wish them the best. Hang in there and you'll be wearing your Rolex much sooner than they will!
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 07:15 AM   #30
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:

Just like most of us :)

It depends which model you're after, and which AD's you put your name with.

Birks?
Chateau D'ivoire?
Bijouterie Italienne?
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote