The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 April 2018, 02:49 AM   #1
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Value of Faded Bezel "Pearl" on 16800?

I had my 16800 circa 1983 serviced locally by a Rolex AD that has trained watchmakers on-site (I didn't want it sent out to Rolex; I specified they don't replace dial, hands, date wheel, don't polish, etc.)

When I went to pick up the watch I noticed first that they polished it a bit (it was already polished over its lifetime, so not a big deal I guess) and then I noticed that the "pearl" from the bezel insert was missing.

The pearl had aged to a nice yellow shade, and is something I enjoyed about the aesthetic of the watch. They offered a new service replacement, which I'm not thrilled about, so I'm trying to decide how much of a stink to put up.

What's the value of an original insert on that era of vintage Subs? I'd like to quantify the impact, and perhaps try to source a period-correct insert with some age to it.

Thanks,

Adam
AJDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 12:19 PM   #2
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Value of Faded Bezel "Pearl" on 16800?

Did they say what happened to the pearl?

Inserts for 16800 are same size as 16610 and fairly easy to come by. You can find them for a couple hundred (more or less), depending of course on fade and condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 12:36 PM   #3
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Are they also training in loosing customers property?

Used inserts probably start around $50-75 but finding a nice one with no scratches and a pearl that is not cracked and matches the color you want, etc. could cost $300 or so.
Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:53 AM   #4
AJDay
"TRF" Member

They have said that it must have been lost at some point between quality control and when they went to give the watch back to me. I was a little annoyed when they called me a few days later to say the watch was ready for pickup, as I assumed it meant they found the pearl, but instead they had put a new service replacement bezel insert on.

To be fair, the manager has been very apologetic; they drained their ultrasonic machines to look for the pearl, and it seems that they will work with me to find a suitable replacement (either through their sources or, if I find one, by purchasing it on my behalf). I figured I'd wait for the final resolution before posting their name here to be lambasted.

It seems faded bezels are a bit of a minefield, so if anyone wants to point me in the direction of an authentic period specimen, I'd appreciate it...
Old 25 April 2018, 07:43 AM   #5
05carbondrz
Banned

I’d be pissed at the polishing too! My guess is they damaged your watch and polished out their boo boo.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 08:24 PM   #6
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Loose Tritium pearls are for sale for approx $275
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 02:17 AM   #7
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Just an update, they had/found a 16610 bezel with cream-colored pearl that at least looked better than a brand new insert. They didn't charge me for the service, so I figured I can keep an eye out for a faded insert that I like and I'm still ahead of the game.

Then I get home and something catches my eye... It's not very noticeable with the naked eye, but at the right angle/light you see a fine scratch on the dial from the pinion to below the 9 o'clock marker.

I brought it back to them and they took the crystal off to confirm - it is a scratch. Luckily I had some good close-up photos from before the service to show them.

Now I'm waiting for their response. I hate the thought of having yet another non-original piece on the watch, but I don't think a period-correct matte dial and matching hand set would hurt the value too much?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scratch.jpg (91.0 KB, 258 views)
Old 28 April 2018, 02:55 AM   #8
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Man, oh, man. Who IS this AD???
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 03:01 AM   #9
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Also, any thoughts on the current value of the watch without the scratch (serviced, original bracelet repaired/tightened by Michael Young, matte dial, replacement vintage bezel insert)? I'm half thinking about trying to make them buy it from me at a fair market value without their scratch.

Watch is with them right now, so I can't take better pictures right now...
Old 28 April 2018, 03:25 AM   #10
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Man, oh, man. Who IS this AD???
I am hesitant to call them out yet; first because they have been apologetic and accommodating thus far, so I want to give them a chance to make it right somehow, but also because I don't want to piss them off before it's fully resolved...
Old 1 May 2018, 07:04 AM   #11
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quick update: As a next step they've offered to find an entire replacement matte dial 16800, even taking into consideration a serial number range for my birth year. I'm not sure what their sources are, but he said to give him 7-10 days - I'll be curious what he comes back with. Then if they don't come up with something we'll talk about other options (presumably compensation / purchasing the watch from me)...
Old 1 May 2018, 12:21 PM   #12
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

What’s up with the hands?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 03:46 AM   #13
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
What’s up with the hands?
Not sure what you mean? They did not replace the hands, so those are what were on the watch when I bought it. They aren't exactly the same shade as the lume, but I believe they are original.