The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 April 2018, 12:24 AM   #1
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
5164a Versatility

Hi Everyone,

Quick question about the 5164a.

People say it's a perfect jeans and t-shirt watch, but my question is: is it versatile enough to work with smart casual/business casual settings also? Specifically, everything from light colored khakis/polo shirt to sport coat/odd trousers, which is typically when I'd wear my Royal Oak. Falling out of love with the 15400 though and falling hard for the 5164a.

For business formal I'll still have my 1815, so no worries there.

I'm 32, American, mostly in polo shirt/khakis during summer, polo shirt/jeans winter.

Thanks!
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:35 AM   #2
sam3536
"TRF" Member

Fashion is continuously changing these days. You can wear anything with anything. Just enjoy what you have. It's a beautiful piece and I am debating to get one myself. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
sam3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:51 AM   #3
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam3536 View Post
Fashion is continuously changing these days. You can wear anything with anything. Just enjoy what you have. It's a beautiful piece and I am debating to get one myself. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input.

While I understand that's the prevailing sentiment these days, it's one I don't really subscribe to. For me, it's key that a watch is situationally versatile, otherwise it'll bother me and won't last long in my collection.

Maybe one day I'll be less OCD about this type of thing!
Old 25 April 2018, 01:17 AM   #4
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’d say yes. It can work that situation well. The one minor point I’d make if the strap is cut a little big it may not be seemless with the shirt cuff. I’m thinking that would be rectified
If I cut it one shorter but I’m trying to avoid having two straps (seasonally). That said, I much prefer 5164 to the RO and that magnificent sparkly bracelet.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:22 AM   #5
Vipes
"TRF" Member

It will work with jeans/polo shirt. I've tried wearing my 5164 with sport coat and suit and I didn't like the look. Overall, a very versatile piece. Good luck and let us know.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:28 AM   #6
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Cool young people these days seem to think it's ok to wear trainers with a suit, and a Dinner Jacket with jeans...so I'm pretty sure the 5164 will be fine with the dress options you reference.

I actually do think it's important to pair a watch correctly with clothing and with the general look and size of the individual. I also think the 5164 is perfect for the way you dress.

The Royal Oak is stunning, but it doesn't work with much of what I wear, so really not that versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:56 AM   #7
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2008 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Quick question about the 5164a.

People say it's a perfect jeans and t-shirt watch, but my question is: is it versatile enough to work with smart casual/business casual settings also? Specifically, everything from light colored khakis/polo shirt to sport coat/odd trousers, which is typically when I'd wear my Royal Oak. Falling out of love with the 15400 though and falling hard for the 5164a.

For business formal I'll still have my 1815, so no worries there.

I'm 32, American, mostly in polo shirt/khakis during summer, polo shirt/jeans winter.

Thanks!

Haha, if you were European would this change anyone's answer?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 02:24 AM   #8
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Haha, if you were European would this change anyone's answer?
LOL. I was originally going to write: "I'm American, but tend to skew towards classical British fashion ideals" but I thought that would sounds pretentious as hell.

I do think there is a difference in American and European dress/style culture and where/how watches fit into that, but that probably a conversation for another day.
Old 25 April 2018, 02:57 AM   #9
tng11
"TRF" Member

I wear mine with traditional full suit and tie combinations all the time and have gotten compliments for how it looks. It's a very smart looking and sophisticated piece that works in the most casual situations to business formal/casual IMO.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 02:59 AM   #10
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I wear mine with traditional full suit and tie combinations all the time and have gotten compliments for how it looks. It's a very smart looking and sophisticated piece that works in the most casual situations to business formal/casual IMO.
Awesome.

Thanks so much for the feedback.
Old 25 April 2018, 03:13 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i think it looks great and is perfect for smart casual. I wear mine with a casual sport coat, jeans, and a t shirt all the time. I would wear it with a suit in a pinch, but it would not be my first choice
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 03:25 AM   #12
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

The are so many better watches for smart dress out there - i don't see why it would be a 2nd, 3rd or 10th choice. I absolutely love it though. But in the world of luxury why not use the best watch for the situation?
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 04:01 AM   #13
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL. I was originally going to write: "I'm American, but tend to skew towards classical British fashion ideals" but I thought that would sounds pretentious as hell.

I do think there is a difference in American and European dress/style culture and where/how watches fit into that, but that probably a conversation for another day.

I'm just poking fun. It came across quite funny
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:09 AM   #14
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Very versatile...I've worn it when traveling for business in a suit, and I've worn it with shorts
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:43 AM   #15
syting
"TRF" Member

I was sitting next to TS at a luncheon, he was wearing a 5164A with a suit, looked really good. In my observation, an Aquanaut with travel time complication projects sophistication and a busy lifestyle, would fit your requirements quite well. Enjoy!
syting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 06:16 AM   #16
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

I'm just poking fun. It came across quite funny
I hear ya, I noticed it sounded funny when I reread as well.
Old 25 April 2018, 07:41 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've worn mine with smart suits so bus casual is more than fine. Shirt is Ozwald Boateng for your British fashion ideal too.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:12 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d say it looks fine anywhere your 116500 or 15400 looks fine.
Old 25 April 2018, 11:32 AM   #19
coderhi
"TRF" Member

I wear mine with jeans and tee. Khaki and polo. And dress pants and shirt. It works. The 5164 is so stunning in person it really is versatile. That being said l, I do want to get a 5990 for something a bit dressier. I had a 15450 RO on order and backed out once I held the 5164 :)

Cheers

coderhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:08 PM   #20
guffyboy92
"TRF" Member

Watch: All that I own
To echo some sentiments already mentioned, I think that the 5164a's strong suit IS it's versatility.

Yes, some will say that in this day and age you can wear what you want, when and where you want. However I do agree that some watches can look out of place in certain situations. The 5164a IMO is not one of those watches. It's perfectly at home paired with virtually any sartorial ensemble. I wear mine sometimes with a nike hoodie, lululemon joggers and trainers (Vancouver BC lol). But I've also worn it in a business suit, a Barong Tagalog (filipino formal attire) and to dinner parties wearing what you would describe as smart casual.

At the end of the day, it's a Patek, which means that you can it with whatever you want and no one will question your choices
guffyboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:06 PM   #21
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffyboy92 View Post
To echo some sentiments already mentioned, I think that the 5164a's strong suit IS it's versatility.

Yes, some will say that in this day and age you can wear what you want, when and where you want. However I do agree that some watches can look out of place in certain situations. The 5164a IMO is not one of those watches. It's perfectly at home paired with virtually any sartorial ensemble. I wear mine sometimes with a nike hoodie, lululemon joggers and trainers (Vancouver BC lol). But I've also worn it in a business suit, a Barong Tagalog (filipino formal attire) and to dinner parties wearing what you would describe as smart casual.

At the end of the day, it's a Patek, which means that you can it with whatever you want and no one will question your choices

I am of the belief that 5164a on a Barong is a bit too much. :)

This is what I would wear in a Barong.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:11 PM   #22
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffyboy92 View Post

Describes my wear most of the time outside of the office, except replace the hoodie with even more lululemon (99% of my casual wardrobe is from there lol).

I've even worn the 5164 with full formal barrister attire - the robes, penguin suit, tabs and all. Thankfully, no wig.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:20 AM   #23
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
I've seen tons of business people wear Timex digital watches or Apple watches with suits.

So a 5164 is a huge step up!
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 04:46 AM   #24
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburrito View Post
I've seen tons of business people wear Timex digital watches or Apple watches with suits.

So a 5164 is a huge step up!

Old 26 April 2018, 04:53 AM   #25
sapper17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Omega
Quote:
Thanks for the input.

While I understand that's the prevailing sentiment these days, it's one I don't really subscribe to. For me, it's key that a watch is situationally versatile, otherwise it'll bother me and won't last long in my collection.

Maybe one day I'll be less OCD about this type of thing!
Absolutely. I have gone to wearing the 116500LN on weekends and the 5164a at work. Work attire is usually dress pants collared shirt. I would wear it with a suit in a heartbeat
sapper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 05:11 AM   #26
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
if i owned one id wear it with everything
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:22 AM   #27
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
I think that's perfect. Between the Travel Time and the ALS, you'll have all your bases covered. It's a pretty nice duo.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote