The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 3 April 2018, 08:20 PM   #1
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Air-king 116900 review (rolex has likes to have fun too)

In November of 2017 I traded with my AD for a new Air-King 40 mm, reference 116900. As everyone knows by now, the Air-King is the Milgauss in all but dial, polished links and name.

MY REASONS FOR CHOOSING THE AIR-KING

I spend much of my work day with a MacBook. And I almost never leave the home or the office without my laptop. Enter the magnetism consideration.

I know there are different opinions on the magnetism issue, but I have observed two Rolexes with performance issues as a result of magnetism. So, for my everyday watch, I wanted a stainless-steel Rolex with good anti-mag properties. I also wanted a watch without polished bracelet links. Last but not least, I prefer a time only watch. Air-King was my obvious choice.

DOUBLE CASED - THE FARADAY CAGE.

Exactly the same as a Milgauss. Yes, I could have gotten an Omega with a true anti-magnetic movement. But I wanted a Rolex. And there is something to be said for the old school faraday approach to building an antimagnetic watch. I will probably never see it. But I know it's there.

THE MOVMENT - CALIBER 3131

The Air-King sports the same movement as the Milgauss, the tried and true 3131. Ok, it is not the latest and greatest cutting-edge movement Rolex offers. But it is a robust movement that, at least for me, has consistently scored the +/-2 seconds Rolex benchmark.

SIZE

For me, size does matter. The Air-King's 40 mm width hits my sweet spot. And the 13 mm thick case gives the Air-King an overbuilt feel which I like.

WEIGHT

For a stainless reference, this is one heavy watch. Due to the double case, it weighs in at 152 grams. Despite its weight, the Air-King it balances well on the wrist and is very comfortable to wear.

OVERSIZED WINDING CROWN

I personally prefer a larger crown. And it goes well with the thick case.

THE BRACELET

Not much to say here folks. Songs have been written about the solid link Oyster Bracelet. Or they should have been. Great bracelet. And the Easylink 5mm quick extension is a charm.

THE CLASP

Of course, the folding Oyster clasp is a work of art. But unlike the Milguass, the crown on the Air-King clasp is stamped, not welded. Not sure how I feel about this. I am pretty sure it is a downgrade in Rolex's eyes. But it does tend to leave less scratches on my MacBook.

If there is one thing I miss on the Air-King, it's the fact that there is no safety clasp. Not a big negative, but it would be nice to have.

THE DIAL

Ok. Now we get to the controversy. Question: "How do you know you're a WIS?" Answer: "When you have strong, yes I mean strong feelings about the Air-King Dial." If you admitted this preoccupation in public, most of the world would think you needed therapy. But thankfully those on this forum understand why this is such a debated topic. It's a break with tradition. Right?

Briefly put: the black dial has a unique combination of enlarged white numeric minute indices at 5-minute intervals, larger white gold hour markers at 3, 6, and 9 and a white inverted triangle at the 12:00 positon. Add a yellow Rolex crown and a green second hand, and you have people fighting in the streets over whether Rolex has lost its's mind or is brilliant.

When I first saw pictures of this watch on the web, I said "What the heck?" And I just did not get it. I said, no way. Not on my watch. However....

The picture vs. the on the wrist phenomenon. I get the traditionalists. But my personal opinion is that much of the ado about the dial comes from people who formed opinions after looking at blown up pictures on the web. And in the main, not by those who have tried the watch on and pulled it out of their face. At least that was the case for me.

One day, I was at a local AD. And I got my courage up enough to try on the Air-King. Sure, I was a little frightened. But the AD said he had my back and the security officer promised to call an ambulance if I fainted. So I said decided to be brave and give it a go.

And voila, when I put the Air-King on my wrist and moved it out of my face, it looked like a different watch. The green second hand? The yellow crown? How can you even tell that at 3 feet away? How can you see that unless you are right on top of it? In my opinion you may notice, but it does not look jarring. Instead, it just adds a dab of color.

The one-month difference. Ok, I will confess, even after putting the Air-King on my wrist and taking it out of my face, the juxtaposition of white minute markers and gold 3, 5, and 9 hour indices still struck me as a little quirky. But I really liked the watch, so I decided to give it a go. And I have to tell you, after a month it no longer looked off-kilter. It looked right. Maybe I just got used to quirky. Maybe I came to appreciate it more. Who knows? All I can say is that after a month, the dial really grew on me. And if Rolex now offered a replacement dial without the white gold 3,6 and 9, I would say no. I like it the way it is.

THE AIR-KING SCRIPT

This part of the dial is worthy of separate mention because it actually is "traditional." According to the Rolex website "It bears the name Air-King in the same lettering that was designed specially for the model in the 1950s." To me, the script has a bit of deco flair. And it goes well with the yellow crown and the green seconds hand.

THE LUME (OR LACK)

Hands and 12:00 position. That's it. If you want full lume plots on all indices, this watch is not for you. Personally, if I am in the mood for decent lume, I wear my Sub C. But usually, I really don't miss it.

THE MERCEDES HANDS

I have always loved this style on the Sub and the Explorer. Classic Rolex.

WRIST SIZING

I will admit that measuring a wrist is somewhat of a challenge for me. Where on the wrist do you put the tape? How tight do you pull the tape? How in the world do you do a decent job with one hand? So, all I can say is this. If you can wear the current Explorer I or Sub C with no complaints, the Air-King will fit your wrist just fine.

FITS UNDER MY SHIRT SLEEVE LIKE A CHARM

No problems here. And because of its heft, it stays where you put it.

VERSATILITY

I wear my Air-King with everything from suits to beat up jeans. It looks like what it is: a no-nonsense well-made stainless tool watch.

THE AGE (NON) ISSUE

I have seen many reviews and comments opining that the Air-King is only appropriate for the younger crowd. Could not disagree more. I passed the half century mark many years ago and love it.

VALUE

Here is where the Air-King shines. As of the date of this post, Rolex lists Air-King's MSRP at $6,200 on its US site. The Milgauss is listed at $8,200. Except for the dial, the Air-King is the same watch for $2,000 less.

A NOD FROM ROLEX TO ITS ROOTS

In my opinion the Air-King is a House of Rolex nod to its tool watch heritage. And a Rolex nod to its history of producing a relatively affordable stainless-steel watch. Like it or love it, there can be no dispute that the Air-King is no nonsense stainless steel antimagnetic tool watch, in a modern size and at a value price point.

ROLEX LIKES TO HAVE FUN TOO

As I said in the title, Rolex likes to have fun too. How do I know? Because I own proof positive. Think about it. How else can you explain a yellow crown, a green second hand and a dial which many call quirky, but all must admit is a break with tradition? I would submit - you can't. Unless, it is because the folks at Rolex like to have fun as much as the rest of us.

And I have to say it is just plain fun to wear this watch. The heft feels great. The case is tough as a tank. And the dial makes me smile. Let me repeat, the Air-King is just plain fun to wear. And for me that is what this hobby is all about.

So, if you want a well-made stainless steel antimagnetic Rolex tool watch at a value price point, AND YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME WRIST FUN, I recommend the Air-King, reference 116900.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow pic.jpg (122.5 KB, 2531 views)
File Type: jpg Golve pic.jpg (132.5 KB, 2521 views)
File Type: jpg Driving pic.jpg (124.3 KB, 2514 views)
File Type: jpeg hat pic IMG_2557 copy.jpeg (231.0 KB, 2509 views)

Last edited by mountainjogger; 3 April 2018 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Typo
mountainjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 09:29 PM   #2
torrente
"TRF" Member

Nice review, thank you!
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 04:21 AM   #3
abmukete
"TRF" Member

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
abmukete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 11:46 AM   #4
riskwalla
"TRF" Member

Congrats on selecting a perfect watch for yourself. Wear it in good health!

Riskwalla
Rolex 116200 36 DJ BKAO
riskwalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 03:25 AM   #5
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Very nice review! I also bought a AK for many of the reasons you state above. The green and yellow accents really were key factors in my decision.
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 03:34 AM   #6
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
nice review, i enjoyed it!

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 08:46 AM   #7
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks.
Old 4 May 2018, 11:32 AM   #8
gk032
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36, SS, Blk dial
Great review. I appreciate you sharing your experience. It gives me a better appreciation for the current reference. The pics are great. Thank you for posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 4 May 2018, 11:43 AM   #9
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Nice write up
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 09:07 PM   #10
skrtalal
"TRF" Member

thank you!
skrtalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:44 PM   #11
KeithP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 126900/SM 300M
Great review on an awesome piece. I was screptical, but in the metal it really sings. I’d love to own one. Thanks for the words and the pics!
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 04:11 AM   #12
swm_uk
"TRF" Member

Fantastic review! I ummed and arred between the airking an older black dialled non gv milgauss..in the end the millys face swung it for me and she was the one i took home,but it was a close run thing. Beautiful watch the airking!
swm_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 05:44 PM   #13
gtr600
"TRF" Member

I like this review. I also went to my AD and tried this, it's a huge 40mm because of the thick case. But when the dealer told me they also have a subc with date, I just went ahead and got the sub. Everything you describe is what I felt when I tried it on.....but I just can't pass on a sub.
gtr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 01:52 AM   #14
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Loving my AK. It has become my daily wearer since day one and everytime l look at it it makes me smile..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 04:34 AM   #15
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
Fantastic write-up. I was on the fence as to whether I really liked the watch and I believe your review pushed me over the fence. I do like it. A lot.
Old 9 June 2018, 03:41 AM   #16
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Excellent review

I love mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1207.jpg (67.1 KB, 2092 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1208.jpg (60.4 KB, 2094 views)
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2018, 05:50 PM   #17
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
Great write up that reflects everything I think about the watch.
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 05:02 AM   #18
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Your review resulted in me bringing this watch home today! Two years ago this watch drew me to Rolex and I wanted to immediately make a purchase. You couldn't fine one anywhere to see in person at the time so it kind of went on the back burner. I decided last week that after owning a TAG, 2 Breitlings and an Omega it was now time for a Rolex.

I must admit I let the purists convince me my tastes were off and this was not a watch worth purchasing. I began looking again and narrowed it down to either the new Explorer 39mm or the New Oyster Perpetual in black. Last night while looking for reviews on these watches I read your review. This prompted me to contact DAVIDSW this morning and ask him to have an Air King ready to look at as well. I really didn't think I would bring it home, but figured I may as well take a look and see if it got to me like it got to you. I was pretty well set on the OP, but guess what?? This watch just spoke to me. The 40mm case size and the heft the Milgauss housing provides hit my sweet spot. The Explorer and the OP both felt too light and not substantial enough on my wrist. If you have not seen the AK in person, you really have not experienced the watch. I am so glad I was lucky enough to take a look in person before making a purchase.

Thank you for your excellent review!
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 05:42 AM   #19
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron62 View Post
Your review resulted in me bringing this watch home today! Two years ago this watch drew me to Rolex and I wanted to immediately make a purchase. You couldn't fine one anywhere to see in person at the time so it kind of went on the back burner. I decided last week that after owning a TAG, 2 Breitlings and an Omega it was now time for a Rolex.

I must admit I let the purists convince me my tastes were off and this was not a watch worth purchasing. I began looking again and narrowed it down to either the new Explorer 39mm or the New Oyster Perpetual in black. Last night while looking for reviews on these watches I read your review. This prompted me to contact DAVIDSW this morning and ask him to have an Air King ready to look at as well. I really didn't think I would bring it home, but figured I may as well take a look and see if it got to me like it got to you. I was pretty well set on the OP, but guess what?? This watch just spoke to me. The 40mm case size and the heft the Milgauss housing provides hit my sweet spot. The Explorer and the OP both felt too light and not substantial enough on my wrist. If you have not seen the AK in person, you really have not experienced the watch. I am so glad I was lucky enough to take a look in person before making a purchase.

Thank you for your excellent review!
Outstanding!!! Congrats on deciding to buy a watch because it spoke to you. This practice is getting rare. But IMOP it is the only reason to buy a watch.

And how cool is living near enough to DAVIDS to take a look at his stock? Sounds pretty darn cool to me.

I am still loving my AK and hope you get a lot of miles and smiles out of yours. That is what it is all about.
Old 8 August 2018, 11:23 PM   #20
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Outstanding!!! Congrats on deciding to buy a watch because it spoke to you. This practice is getting rare. But IMOP it is the only reason to buy a watch.

And how cool is living near enough to DAVIDS to take a look at his stock? Sounds pretty darn cool to me.

I am still loving my AK and hope you get a lot of miles and smiles out of yours. That is what it is all about.
It is definitely the only way to buy a watch! It takes all the other stressors out of the process. Once I put the AK on my wrist I was no longer concerned about all the little details I had previously obsessed about. It was just "right" and the deal was instantly done!

Thank you again!
Old 9 August 2018, 09:15 AM   #21
moonk
Banned

Watch: All of them
I enjoyed reading this post and learning a few new things, thanks for sharing
moonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 04:09 PM   #22
mikkoi
"TRF" Member

Thank you. A good post.
mikkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 07:34 AM   #23
Rocket launcher
Banned

Captain Ron 62
I like you saw this watch and instantly thought that is the watch for me it's superb ..
I went in the AD to buy a Milgauss zblue they ordered it in for me saw the Air-King in the window loved it and left with it ...as a bonus i later found out its the same watch as a milgauss with as far as I am concerned a better face strap and hands ...and totally agree brilliant write up above well done mountainjogger
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 08:09 AM   #24
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
Captain Ron 62
I like you saw this watch and instantly thought that is the watch for me it's superb ..
I went in the AD to buy a Milgauss zblue they ordered it in for me saw the Air-King in the window loved it and left with it ...as a bonus i later found out its the same watch as a milgauss with as far as I am concerned a better face strap and hands ...and totally agree brilliant write up above well done mountainjogger
Wow, that AK is gaining momentum the last few weeks! So great that someone else just knew as soon as they put it on. I think it falls way under the radar for the reasons you mentioned! Yes, so we got the Milgauss Faraday cage, Mercedes hands, a better face and 2k less MSRP. I think its a win!

Enjoy in good health!
Old 30 August 2018, 08:09 AM   #25
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing the review !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 10:19 AM   #26
mwatch
2024 Pledge Member

Nice review. I love my AK. It is definitely different.
mwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 01:11 PM   #27
michael.michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Thanks for sharing, I'm also thinking to get the AK for my everyday watch.
michael.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 04:53 AM   #28
Rocket launcher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.michael View Post
Thanks for sharing, I'm also thinking to get the AK for my everyday watch.
Go into an AD try on a Milgauss..take Milgauss off..put on Air-King..look at both watches...choose the one you love bet it's the Air-King...
Old 1 October 2018, 02:27 PM   #29
KDHfan
"TRF" Member

For weeks now I had my eyes on a new Explorer. It was time to upgrade my 20yo Air King. It was a great watch, but it was time. We drove to an AD today to make the purchase (my wife was trading hers as well). As I worked through the case, something catches my eye... the beautiful new AK. I strap it on... feels perfect on my wrist. My wife gushes over its look. An hour later, I’m the owner of this beautiful timepiece... and I maintained my AK roots too. I absolutely love it.
KDHfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 07:16 AM   #30
Rocket launcher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
something catches my eye... the beautiful new AK. I strap it on... feels perfect on my wrist. My wife gushes over its look. An hour later, I’m the owner of this beautiful timepiece... and I maintained my AK roots too. I absolutely love it.
That's what happened to me went for a z-blue came out with the Air king..well done on your perchase a fine choice

Tags
116900 , air-king