The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 April 2018, 05:24 AM   #1
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Need some advice (help):

I love the Nautilus 5726, specially on the black leather strap. My AD locally, who carries Patek, just texted me asking her to call her with a pic of .......you guessed it-- the 5726 on the black leather strap. I've also talked to her about getting their next SS Daytona, for which I'm sure she's received other calls about this watch.

I just had a convo with another AD in town (her competition) who will get me their next Daytona -- either black dial or white dial (probably black) within the next 3 months

My current collection is the Hulk, PAM 1312, and the Breitling Colt Skyracer.

I guess I had thought the Patek wasn't going to happen anytime soon, so I didn't really think too much about spending $40K on a watch that won't go up in value/retain its value the way the 5711/5612 will.

So why the 5726? Because I love the dial and day/date/moonphase complication, and unlike everyone who loves the watch on a bracelet, I like the look of the black leather strap on that particular watch (as opposed to the 5711 or 5712, where a bracelet makes perfect sense) .

So my question is, should I pull the trigger now? I was thinking maybe 5 years from now when I turn 50 to get the watch then, and 'just' add the Daytona now and maybe an IWC or another PAM submersible in the next couple of years. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $40k now on this watch. OTOH, if she came to me with a blue dial 5711, it would be a different conversation.

I'm also waiting on a buddy of mine who is a buyer to see if he can get me an AP RO.

I just don't know how I feel about spending $40k on any watch, let alone one whose demand doesn't come close to that of the 5711 or 5712. Or do some feel that the craze for SS sports models will mean even the demand for models like the 5726 will increase?

I had told her that I loved the 5726 but that I would hold out/wait for for a 5711, and less than a week later, it looks like they are getting a 5726, all while I've committed to a SS Daytona from either her or her competition across town (who seems confident they can get me one in 3 months since they have 2 on order).
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 05:53 AM   #2
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Get the Daytona and hold out for a 5711 or 12.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 05:53 AM   #3
verse214
"TRF" Member

It sounds like you have doubts about purchasing the 5726. I would wait and stick with the SS Daytona for now. The 5726 isn't as difficult as the 5711/5712 so you can always change your mind and purchase it down the line. It would be more of a pain to purchase the 5726 and then realize that you weren't comfortable with the purchase.

Never feel pressured to buy anything you aren't comfortable with buying regardless of whether or not it's a "hard to get" watch.
verse214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 05:56 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
+1

only if you believe the AD. Hate to be that guy, but getting a daytona within 3 months without being a very established client seems almost too good to be true. Be careful of them over promising and under delivering.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 06:02 AM   #5
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I dunno....you just got through saying you love the 5726.....but you're not sure if it's worth the price...yet you think a 5711 is? To each their own but I think pound for pound if you love the 5726, it's definitely more worthy than the 5711 for the price in terms of complication. If you like it and you're going to keep it....I say go for the 5726.....Daytona is a nice watch (I should know, I own my share of them) but they're overhyped just like the 5711/5712....go with what you truly love is my opinion. Forget the noise.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 06:18 AM   #6
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Great comments so far....

...... much appreciated.

So it sounds like the 5726 isn't going anywhere in terms of its relative demand to the 5711?

To the last poster, yeah I hear you-- I definitely believe in getting what you love, but I have to see the 5726 in person first. I've only seen pics and videos and loved what I saw.
Having said that, I also don't want to buy a watch out of pressure b/c I'm scared the prices are going to keep going up on all models given the current craze for SS sports watches.

The daytona is a much safer play, and I after initially wanting a PM daytona, I've come to the conclusion I want to start with a SS version first. I love the addition of the ceramic bezel on the 116500-- I'm undecided on whether I like the black or white dial more.
The AD currently has an order in for 1 of each and will let me know, but it sounds like the black will be a bit easier to get, which I'm fine with.

I think at some point I'll get a PM daytona in everose or yellow gold, but I'm not quite there yet in terms of being comfortable wearing that as a daily watch mixed in rotation with my other 2. The SS OTOH would be a watch that I would wear a lot. The white dial seems to hold my attention a bit more, partly b/c it looks a bit like the WG version, given that I plan to get an After market rubber strap for the watch.

The AD across town who told me 3 months has a strong relationship with Rolex, but you're right-- you never know with these AD's. I do know that I pay half now, the next one they get is mine.
They also have a wait list of 3 for the pepsi GMT, and I would be #4 if I was interested, but I told him no thanks. They will be getting 2 by the end of the year.
Old 21 April 2018, 12:21 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Get the 5726, it's the watch you love the most, forget all the money stuff, it's just getting too important to everyone now it seems, everyone's a grey dealer now!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
A lot of things can happen in 5 years. Just buy the 5726 now.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 02:01 PM   #9
Watch Admirer
Banned

Nautilus is a sports watch i would buy it on bracelet
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 02:02 PM   #10
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Buy now. 5 years?! Who knows if this nonsense will even still be a “thing”.
Old 21 April 2018, 07:19 PM   #11
EugeneT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Any Rolex
Is the 5726 really that common? Does anyone know how many of these are produced for every 5711?
EugeneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:36 PM   #12
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Agree

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:55 PM   #13
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Sounds like you are not fully ready to get into the Patek world just yet. You are looking at it from an investment point of view which isn’t ideal. Buy what sings to you and what you want to wear for years with a smile on your face, that’s the real investment of owning a Patek Philippe. If you can get a Daytona get one for sure until you are ready to move into Patek...
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:37 PM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’d take both but the Patek on bracelet
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 09:47 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would pause on the PP and the 40k expense. If you could get the Daytona-C and/or the 5711 you would not be asking for others opinions. Get those watches and see after a little bit of ownership where you would like to go next.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 09:51 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Just put your name on the list for the 5711 ... it’ll be just about the right timing for your 50th
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:37 PM   #17
aduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I’d take both but the Patek on bracelet
Ha, that is funny, he is not ready and questioning to spend $40k now, which he planned 60 months later. Get both. Devil’s advocate I love it. I hate when we are purchasing on someone ele’s Schedule due to demand. I put a deposit on 3 nautilus( non 5712r, 5726, 5726 strap) this March and will get to pass on whichever ones I don’t like. But I told them I am. It ready to year end. I k ow they will call me and magically have the 3 pieces and they will say get all 3 or 2 not just 1 since so hard to come by and will be scooped up

I would be pressured and torn as well.

That is how dealers get people to buy, especially special edition cars.. etc.
aduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 11:11 PM   #18
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Get the 5726, it's the watch you love the most, forget all the money stuff, it's just getting too important to everyone now it seems, everyone's a grey dealer now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Buy now. 5 years?! Who knows if this nonsense will even still be a “thing”.
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Agreed! Too much speculation for ....”5 years from now” If you love it, get it
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 03:16 AM   #19
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the continued thoughts/input; I made a decision

I'm not ready for this watch, for a variety of reasons.

I am definitely going to wait on the SS Daytona, which I'm super excited about, and will be #1 on their wait list for the pepsi GMT (which is going to be a long wait, I know).

In addition, I'm still not over the idea of trying to get an AP 15450 or a 15202, as much as my head says 'stay away' (and which is an entire separate thread for another forum).

If I have to wait a year or longer to get a blue dial version of RO, I'll wait. So it makes no sense to throw the Patek in the mix right now. I really like the look of the 5726-- as well as the complication-- and will get to see it when it does arrive so I can get a feel for it, but I'm not pulling the trigger. In addition, it will come on a bracelet and not the strap, contrary to the pic I was first shown, which I know is a far more popular option for the watch for everyone else but me.

So thank you all for your input/comments.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:04 AM   #20
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aduong View Post
Ha, that is funny, he is not ready and questioning to spend $40k now, which he planned 60 months later. Get both. Devil’s advocate I love it. I hate when we are purchasing on someone ele’s Schedule due to demand. I put a deposit on 3 nautilus( non 5712r, 5726, 5726 strap) this March and will get to pass on whichever ones I don’t like. But I told them I am. It ready to year end. I k ow they will call me and magically have the 3 pieces and they will say get all 3 or 2 not just 1 since so hard to come by and will be scooped up

I would be pressured and torn as well.

That is how dealers get people to buy, especially special edition cars.. etc.
Go all 3
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 05:00 AM   #21
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

You love it from what you've seen online, pictures etc. So hold off on all the chatter, and associated noise that might cloud your decision, until you see it in the metal. If you still love it then, and love it more than whatever else may be on the radar then get it.

You are in a good spot too insofar as this watch is not on any hype list and so you don't really have the pressure of "take it now or potentially never see it again at retail price".
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 05:07 AM   #22
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
You love it from what you've seen online, pictures etc. So hold off on all the chatter, and associated noise that might cloud your decision, until you see it in the metal. If you still love it then, and love it more than whatever else may be on the radar then get it.

You are in a good spot too insofar as this watch is not on any hype list and so you don't really have the pressure of "take it now or potentially never see it again at retail price".
exactly right. Good advice. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks in person. I understand the case on the 5726 is somewhat thicker than the 5711.

I'll look forward to trying it on when it comes, and finally getting a chance to try on some royal oaks in a couple of months.