The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 February 2018, 09:24 PM   #1
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Thoughts on the future for Daytona 6263?

I'm seriously considering, but wondering aloud if the prices have risen too far too fast? What goes up must come down? Or will the Daytona 62xx be an exception?

Would really appreciate your opinion, I may sucumb to my impulsive nature soon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:03 PM   #2
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
I wish they’d come down, but they won’t.
You must consider the top prices for the rarer Daytona’s as they will drive and dictate the prices of the “lesser” variants. Same as what you see in the big vs small crown subs... no big crowns available so now the smalls are getting hot.

The real problem is confusing an average one for a great one (and then paying top dollar). If you pay top money, make sure it’s great - not average. Don’t be blinded by the frenzy; pick carefully but I wouldn’t wait another year.

Your only “hope” is if there’s another financial market meltdown ....
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:58 PM   #3
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

As above and remember apart from original certificate papers (which can be faked) all the accessories can be bought and added. Buy the best watch from one of the big boys an you can't go wrong.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:17 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
They are extremely hot right now. I think prices will stabilize for many configurations. With Phillips hype it might continue a bit further but imho they are overpriced today. And yes, I do own one but I would seriously buy a lot of other watches before a Daytona in the current market.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:14 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
As above and remember apart from original certificate papers (which can be faked) all the accessories can be bought and added. Buy the best watch from one of the big boys an you can't go wrong.
The watches are heavily counterfeited - not just the papers.

As far as pricing goes, I was looking for a 6263 last year and pricing for most of them was between $45,000 to $50,000. They seem to be about $20,000 more now. I gave up on getting one for now.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 07:25 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The watches are heavily counterfeited - not just the papers.

As far as pricing goes, I was looking for a 6263 last year and pricing for most of them was between $45,000 to $50,000. They seem to be about $20,000 more now. I gave up on getting one for now.
If anyone is after one, heed JP's words carefully....ridiculous how good a lot of fake parts are now on 4 digit Daytonas....better do your research and dissect the watch with a watchmaker that knows what he's doing....trusted sellers or not.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 07:28 AM   #7
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Just buy... I waited too long to take the plunge on a 6239 newman and now they are just out of my league... I considered them at $70k, then $120 and now $250! lol

So I just stick to these. They are insanely expensive but I believe truly top examples will at worst hold value even at today’s prices. The demand is huge the number of truly top condition stuff is small.

The fear mongering is a bit funny btw....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2018, 07:40 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Just buy... I waited too long to take the plunge on a 6239 newman and now they are just out of my league... I considered them at $70k, then $120 and now $250! lol

So I just stick to these. They are insanely expensive but I believe truly top examples will at worst hold value even at today’s prices. The demand is huge the number of truly top condition stuff is small.

Can’t see that kind of condition get cheaper. Stunning examples!
Old 25 February 2018, 07:50 AM   #9
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Can’t see that kind of condition get cheaper. Stunning examples!
Thanks man!
Old 25 February 2018, 08:43 AM   #10
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on the future for Daytona 6263?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post

What a stunning pair!!!!

I agree that prices on exceptional examples will at the very least retain.

I doubt that they will go down (of course it is impossible and anyone's guess really), but it will probably stabilise at some point.

I am also in the market for a silver 6263, and would not mind the prices going down either, but it appears unlikely.

For every guy in the market for one that is wary of counterfeit even when comes from a very reputable seller, there are probably more number of guys that want one and are looking, especially for those in impeccable condition like these two.

The beauty and charm is undeniable!

Here’s a 6263 I picked up from a very close friend and collector.
I would not be able to justify it at current market prices to be fair.

theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:53 AM   #11
Wiener48
Banned

Good thread, interesting. I also waited and looked, and waited...
Still in the market for a very good 62xx!
For sure the next big jump will come in May with the Auctions and here the special Daytona only Auction by Phillips.
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:07 AM   #12
john_peter33
"TRF" Member

Hard to predict where prices will go but like others have said the 6263 is a stunner. Just a joy to wear. Couldn’t resist adding a pic or two of mine. Cheers!

john_peter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:20 AM   #13
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflywrist View Post
What a stunning pair!!!!

I agree that prices on exceptional examples will at the very least retain.

I doubt that they will go down (of course it is impossible and anyone's guess really), but it will probably stabilise at some point.

I am also in the market for a silver 6263, and would not mind the prices going down either, but it appears unlikely.

For every guy in the market for one that is wary of counterfeit even when comes from a very reputable seller, there are probably more number of guys that want one and are looking, especially for those in impeccable condition like these two.

The beauty and charm is undeniable!

Here’s a 6263 I picked up from a very close friend and collector.
I would not be able to justify it at current market prices to be fair.

Hey thanks! Enjoy!

Old 25 February 2018, 03:20 PM   #14
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
They are extremely hot right now. I think prices will stabilize for many configurations. With Phillips hype it might continue a bit further but imho they are overpriced today. And yes, I do own one but I would seriously buy a lot of other watches before a Daytona in the current market.
Thanks for the thoughts everyone, and you all should be proud of those pieces...would definitely be the crown jewel in many collections. Honestly I never really considered until I tried one on in person, and now its hard not to think about it.

I think stmoore mentioned it best...hard not to pay top dollar for rough or average condition, with the current climate. This will be my challenge between waiting for a solid piece vs. the market continuing to climb and get priced out.

Roh123 - what other watches would you consider today, out of curiosity?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:36 PM   #15
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
The prices will go up and not down. Owners will rather hold on to their watches than sell at a lower price.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:58 PM   #16
watch-guy.com
Banned

I am certainly no expert in this matter but I do think these 4 ref daytonas are in a definite bubble phase. They are not rare and the price is ridiculous at the mo meant. I think they will rise further with the next phillips auction but I am not sure if the price rise will continue.

Please take in account I have been saying this about PN as well for 10 years now and I have been proven so wrong from $50 to all the way up to over $200k so what do I know

These pieces are not rare and I do not understand why the price continues to rise ....

Julian
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:20 PM   #17
Wiener48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch-guy.com View Post
These pieces are not rare and I do not understand why the price continues to rise ....

Julian
Simple, more and more people wont them. They look extremly cool and they are rare. Even more in good condition and with papers.

Many new Daytona buyers are coming later to the old, vintage ones. If you start woth vontage, it’s hatd to stop ;-)
Old 25 February 2018, 07:09 PM   #18
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
Roh123 - what other watches would you consider today, out of curiosity?
Personally perfect (and I mean really perfect) gilt sports. To me much more beautiful and definetely more rare in perfect conditins. These are still cheap imho.
Old 25 February 2018, 10:37 PM   #19
frankoman
Banned

Watch: 1968 1675
I’m priced out on a 6263 so I recently picked up a stellar “poor man’s version”
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 36491215-B6B8-4D12-94C4-8A93ADE4A612.jpeg (140.1 KB, 1096 views)
frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 02:19 AM   #20
soundserious
"TRF" Member

My beater 6239 was one of the best trades I made many years ago. A keeper for sure. It’s always rewarding in this hobby to pick winners; to offset all the losers over the years lol.

Thomaspp : your pair are exquisite, wow
Old 26 February 2018, 02:37 AM   #21
roh123
"TRF" Member

Increased value doesn’t help anyone except those making an exit. As a collector I am happier to be able to afford new pieces. Knowing they increased in value might give me a warm and fuzzy feeling at first but when I realize my next purchase is unreachable it kind of sucks.
Old 26 February 2018, 02:55 AM   #22
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Quote:
Increased value doesn’t help anyone except those making an exit. As a collector I am happier to be able to afford new pieces. Knowing they increased in value might give me a warm and fuzzy feeling at first but when I realize my next purchase is unreachable it kind of sucks.
Wise words from an honorable man.

It’s only on the exit; or possibly on a trade (another form of exit).

I wish I had purchased a couple that I passed on and kept a few that I sold, but overall I am happy with what I have and the friends I’ve made along the way.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:14 AM   #23
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I think we all know prices will continue to rise. Is there ANY Rolex vintage sports model that has actually declined in price over the years? Some have increased more slowly, and even leveled out before increasing again. But everything is going up. Everything.

I’m just glad I got in when I did. I’ve done a lot of stupid things in this hobby. This wasn’t one of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona 6263 TRF Portrait 2.jpg (288.6 KB, 1051 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:35 AM   #24
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I think we all know prices will continue to rise. Is there ANY Rolex vintage sports model that has actually declined in price over the years? Some have increased more slowly, and even leveled out before increasing again. But everything is going up. Everything.
1019 are cheaper today compared to five years ago. Then you have many other models which have stood pretty still compared to the market such as the 1655, red sub and double red seadweller. Not saying the Daytona will go down in value but it is pretty crazy when a standard big red fetches almost 100k. Then I don’t really see prices moving much further. Of course just my opinion. I don’t have a crystal ball.

Yours is super pretty btw.
Old 26 February 2018, 04:53 AM   #25
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Eh, disagree. Collecting whether it’s art or cars or watches is predicated on picking winners. And then as time goes on peices become more and more valuable and overlooked references become collectible and so it goes. Look at 16710s or 14060s or 16520s for example. If prices just stagnated then new references wouldn’t enter the collector market; and new collectors wouldn’t be able to enter the game.
Old 26 February 2018, 05:00 AM   #26
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Eh, disagree. Collecting whether it’s art or cars or watches is predicated on picking winners. And then as time goes on peices become more and more valuable and overlooked references become collectible and so it goes. Look at 16710s or 14060s or 16520s for example. If prices just stagnated then new references wouldn’t enter the collector market; and new collectors wouldn’t be able to enter the game.
Collecting for me is collecting what I like. Picking winners sounds more like investing. Of course picking things that move faster than others gives you options but my experience tells me that things i dream of move fast as well.

Each to their own though.
Old 26 February 2018, 05:12 AM   #27
Wiener48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

I’m just glad I got in when I did. I’ve done a lot of stupid things in this hobby. This wasn’t one of them.

Absolutly speechless the big red! This is my goal, if possible with papers...
Small problem, the beauties are getting more and more expensive. BUT, question is, what is expensive?
Old 26 February 2018, 05:36 AM   #28
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Collecting for me is collecting what I like. Picking winners sounds more like investing. Of course picking things that move faster than others gives you options but my experience tells me that things i dream of move fast as well.

Each to their own though.

Odd how everyone likes the same things isn’t it?
Old 26 February 2018, 05:48 AM   #29
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post

Odd how everyone likes the same things isn’t it?
It’s called trends. And yes, I am a sheep too. I follow well.
Old 26 February 2018, 10:46 AM   #30
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
1019 are cheaper today compared to five years ago. Then you have many other models which have stood pretty still compared to the market such as the 1655, red sub and double red seadweller. Not saying the Daytona will go down in value but it is pretty crazy when a standard big red fetches almost 100k. Then I don’t really see prices moving much further. Of course just my opinion. I don’t have a crystal ball.

Yours is super pretty btw.
Thanks! I’m not seeing any vintage Rolex sports models cheaper today than 5 years ago, not the good examples anyway. Not all of them have gone through the roof like the 6263s, but all have gone up from what I see. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote