The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 April 2018, 10:43 PM   #91
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
No oddity.
No real "errors".
No scarcity.
No high demand.

= Nonsense. As the saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts.
you just described the discontinued sea dweller.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 April 2018, 11:05 PM   #92
Polarbears
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Buy this to add to my "collection", because music industry dudes and their friends buy it, not because I like it. Got it.
Oversimplified thinking.
Old 21 April 2018, 11:05 PM   #93
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Not going to happen, too plain.
Tell that to every valuable Rolex. And... It’s already happening.
Old 22 April 2018, 12:49 AM   #94
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
That train has already left the station.
Agreed. Prices have been steadily going up even on fair condition examples.
Old 22 April 2018, 01:58 AM   #95
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
Rough shift today at Burger King?
Troll.....
Old 22 April 2018, 02:13 AM   #96
atm08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2018, 02:18 AM   #97
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaballero View Post
100% I know because I just got mine and paid $1000 more than I was seeing them sell for just a few months back.
Old 22 April 2018, 02:33 AM   #98
wisguy
"TRF" Member

And to think I’ve owned and sold the original 39mm Explorer... twice!!

Time will tell...
Old 22 April 2018, 02:37 AM   #99
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
And to think I’ve owned and sold the original 39mm Explorer... twice!!

Time will tell...

I have both 39mm versions and... I must say I am really happy with my newest pickup. I can see the potential. There is a little more shine to the black on the dial on the MK1, The white gold 3,6,9 look classic and the hands... are not obnoxiously short. I could collect just Explorers. Great watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2018, 05:23 AM   #100
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
I personally don’t think this will be a collector item.

I think the reason on a price increase is just because almost all SS models are going up because a shortage of inventory. This is impacting older models that are not true collector items.
Old 22 April 2018, 05:51 AM   #101
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Hope and pray all you want, OP. It's not happening.
Old 22 April 2018, 05:59 AM   #102
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Hope and pray all you want, OP. It's not happening.
It’s already started and has zero effect on me as I now own one. This is a heads up for those that don’t. That’s it.
Old 22 April 2018, 06:49 AM   #103
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Only time will tell. What I don’t get are the people that say “who cares about the short hands.” “Short hands are an error, oversight, whatever”. Seen many threads with people saying those things. Aren’t all those things what make something collectible? Flat 4’s, spider dials, red subs, etc. It’s the mistakes and quirks that make them desirable. Error? Probably, stupid?, maybe, collectible? You would have to say there is a better chance than not.
Old 22 April 2018, 07:11 AM   #104
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
Only time will tell. What I don’t get are the people that say “who cares about the short hands.” “Short hands are an error, oversight, whatever”. Seen many threads with people saying those things. Aren’t all those things what make something collectible? Flat 4’s, spider dials, red subs, etc. It’s the mistakes and quirks that make them desirable. Error? Probably, stupid?, maybe, collectible? You would have to say there is a better chance than not.
This fine forum friend gets it!
Old 22 April 2018, 07:12 AM   #105
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
What I don’t get are the people that say “who cares about the short hands.” “Short hands are an error, oversight, whatever”. Seen many threads with people saying those things.
Were those comments written from the perspective of a collector, or an enthusiast? I see those as two different things. Collectors are looking for attributes that make a watch less common and more collectible. Enthusiasts just look for what they like. Those two things are often at odds with each other, since many times the things that make a watch collectible are the things that caused many enthusiasts not to want it in the first place.
Old 22 April 2018, 07:25 AM   #106
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Were those comments written from the perspective of a collector, or an enthusiast? I see those as two different things. Collectors are looking for attributes that make a watch less common and more collectible. Enthusiasts just look for what they like. Those two things are often at odds with each other, since many times the things that make a watch collectible are the things that caused many enthusiasts not to want it in the first place.
Enthusiasts are collectors too some realize it and some don’t.
Old 22 April 2018, 07:33 AM   #107
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaballero View Post
Similar to every other SS sport model?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 22 April 2018, 07:34 AM   #108
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
Enthusiasts are collectors too some realize it and some don’t.
I’m not a collector.

I’m a foolish flipper.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 22 April 2018, 07:59 AM   #109
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I love my short hand Mk1. Wish I had bought it as a full set, but I'll never sell it anyhow. it would be pretty cool if became a cult collector's icon.
Old 22 April 2018, 08:04 AM   #110
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbombkid View Post
I personally don’t think this will be a collector item.

I think the reason on a price increase is just because almost all SS models are going up because a shortage of inventory. This is impacting older models that are not true collector items.

let me get this straight... artificial scarcity is increasing prices of certain references which everyone seems to agree are going to be collectors items and that somehow makes their status as collectible legitimate? But, because of this artificial scarcity, it is also pushing up the prices of other models too which are not collectors items?

That makes no sense unless your argument is none are collectors items because artificial scarcity is the root cause of everything.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 April 2018, 08:19 AM   #111
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Then there's watches that neither collectors or enthusiasts wanted at the time, the Daytona being the most obvious example. So unpopular, in the 70's they used to sit unsold in display cases for years. If you told both enthusiasts and collectors then just how desirable and how much those very same watches go for now they'd have just laughed.
Old 22 April 2018, 08:43 AM   #112
MinMay
Banned

I asked my millionaire friends and All of them laughed at me lol

Buy what makes you happy.
Old 22 April 2018, 09:15 AM   #113
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
OP, I’m not being sarcastic. I kinda want one . Was thinking about grabbing one anyway, but if I can get the “T-Rex” I would rather have that one. I’m kinda on board with what you’re selling . The Explorer I is IMO the best Rolex for the money. Extremely versatile
Old 22 April 2018, 11:27 AM   #114
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Well, the Turn-O-Graph (one of my favorites) has been discontinued for several years now and no one had expressed much of an interest in that piece. Stainless steel, cool rotating bez, luminous dial. Etc. A neat, versatile and good looking piece IMO.

Not saying the TOG is better, but I woulda' thought with it's low popularity it might be collectable. It aint.

Unfortunately, I *WEAR* my watches, so even a Nos Comex Sub wouldn't stand s chance of staying mint in my household! (Slight exaggeration of course. )

Anyway, I don't and never will consider 'modern' Rolex watches collectable. Right or wrong, I just like wearing them.

No offense to anyone.
Mark

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2018, 12:18 PM   #115
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Well, the Turn-O-Graph (one of my favorites) has been discontinued for several years now and no one had expressed much of an interest in that piece. Stainless steel, cool rotating bez, luminous dial. Etc. A neat, versatile and good looking piece IMO.

Not saying the TOG is better, but I woulda' thought with it's low popularity it might be collectable. It aint.

Unfortunately, I *WEAR* my watches, so even a Nos Comex Sub wouldn't stand s chance of staying mint in my household! (Slight exaggeration of course. )

Anyway, I don't and never will consider 'modern' Rolex watches collectable. Right or wrong, I just like wearing them.

No offense to anyone.
Mark

Mark, I love the TOG also. I picked mine up new from AD with a nice discount. Was not a popular selling model for some reason. I like wearing them also.

Old 22 April 2018, 01:15 PM   #116
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:
The first rumblings of this were in 2010, immediately after the 39mm v.1 came out. People noted the short hands, said Rolex would correct them, which would make the short-hand version a limited release and therefore highly collectible. I think a lot of the people advancing this theory were joking, but they may have been more right than they knew. Obviously one part of the equation happened; it remains to be seen if the remainder holds true. Makes no difference to me either way, since I only buy what I like to wear. I never liked the v.1, so the collectors are welcome to as many as they can get their hands on.
Correction to your last sentence,

As many as they can get their SHORT hands on
Old 22 April 2018, 01:16 PM   #117
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
cool
Old 22 April 2018, 11:55 PM   #118
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post

No offense to anyone.
Mark

I was thinking about the ToG, also a favorite of mine, throughout the first three pages of this thread, waiting for it to come up. Absolutely love the stainless version with white dial on Oyster. And, while I wouldn’t personally wear it, I’m also a fan of the TT blue dial on Jubilee.

Was reading its history on Bob’s Watches’ blog and it made me want one even more (and wishing I’d had this thought back when plenty of NOS existed in dealer cases).
Old 23 April 2018, 12:01 AM   #119
dannyp
Banned

As long as we’re predicting the collectibility of watches we happen to own, I think that the 16570 with the 3186 meets all the same criteria the OP lays out: relatively unpopular, made for about 5 yrs.

In all likelihood the most collectible of these down the line will be those with the original jumping hour hand spring working and intact, since so many 3186s are being updated at service (like mine is currently).
Old 23 April 2018, 12:20 AM   #120
teo
"TRF" Member

Milgauss black is the one. Milgauss black also known as Harry Potter.
Closed Thread