The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2018, 04:11 AM   #1
Polarbears
Banned

Watch: 16570
If you spend $10,000(investing discussion) or more...

Are you ok with losing 30%, 50%?

Do you want to see value retention?

A modest increase in value?

The idea that individuals would spend vast sums of cash and have zero concern regarding how stable the value of that item is over the years is absurd.

The new reality is luxury watches is an investment that should be managed as such. Yes it’s not a true return type of investment but if I have a $100,000 watch collection I’m going to assemble pieces that retain and gain value. That’s just a simple reality of 2018 and forward.
Polarbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:18 AM   #2
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a "new reality" for you.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:19 AM   #3
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
Sounds like a "new reality" for you.
We will see. But I’m ok being the only one.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:21 AM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
If I am investing 10K, I keep my stops set at 10% down for average beta equities. Averaging down is a viable strategy if I intend to hold for a longer period. Any position with that amount of capital should be at least a round lot of 100 shares.

Trades usually stay on for a few weeks to a few months. Long term holds could be years with a goal of at least a double minus dividends and splits.

Oh . . . you were talking about jewelry.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:21 AM   #5
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Not really looking for increase, but would be nice to retain value. If I can enjoy the watch for a while and get back what I’ve put into it I’m satisfied.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:23 AM   #6
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Not really looking for increase, but would be nice to retain value. If I can enjoy the watch for a while and get back what I’ve put into it I’m satisfied.
That’s managing your investment which I would think most sane individuals would find pretty obvious and standard.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:23 AM   #7
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Current popular or discontinued popular SS pieces from Rolex are the way to go. PP also. Some limited edition watches from other brands also. Make sure they are full sets and your watches are guaranteed to retain value based on historic evidence and data.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:24 AM   #8
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post

The idea that individuals would spend vast sums of cash and have zero concern regarding how stable the value of that item is over the years is absurd.

The new reality is luxury watches is an investment that should be managed as such. Yes it’s not a true return type of investment but if I have a $100,000 watch collection I’m going to assemble pieces that retain and gain value. That’s just a simple reality of 2018 and forward.
Good for you. Just like cars I am going to buy what I LIKE and could care less of future VALUE because I in no way, shape or form consider watches an investment. If there value goes up, great, who cares because I won't be selling them. I keep them and will pass them down to the kids.

My "investing" will be in things that are far better investments like real estate, stocks, bonds, my 401K etc.

The idea of someone thinking a watch as an investment is absurd to me, so I guess that is what makes us different. I guess I live in old reality, whatever that is.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:24 AM   #9
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Watches as an investment is not my new reality.

Speculation in watches certainly exists, but would not be a compelling reason for me to buy one. I buy watches I like, if they appreciate in value, sweet. Why would I want to sell them though? I love them. Watches are not an investment, as their inherent value is based on the next guy being willing to pay more than you. Same goes for gold and bitcoin. Real investments have inherent value, I.e. share of a company that generates a profit, bonds/treasuries which pay interest, real estate which you can rent. Everything else is tulip mania type speculation.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:24 AM   #10
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s managing your investment which I would think most sane individuals would find pretty obvious and standard.
How's this managing investments?
Old 23 April 2018, 04:25 AM   #11
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
It depends if you consider yourself an investor, or a collector/hobbiest. If I'm spending 10k as an investor, darn right I want to make money. If I see something I want/need to buy for my self for the pleasure of owning it, I am less concerned about turning a profit. I buy what I like for myself, and buy what I know I can resell to make money.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:26 AM   #12
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Good for you. Just like cars I am going to buy what I LIKE and could care less of future VALUE because I in no way, shape or form consider watches an investment. If there value goes up, great, who cares because I won't be selling them. I keep them and will pass them down to the kids.

My "investing" will be in things that are far better investments like real estate, stocks, bonds, my 401K etc.

The idea of someone thinking a watch as an investment is absurd to me, so I guess that is what makes us different. I guess I live in old reality, whatever that is.
Again a different discussion. I’m not soliciting investment advice. I’m discussing high expense items, value retention and possible modest returns. If you enjoy items that retain no value that’s ok and valuable to the discussion.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:26 AM   #13
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Luxury watches really are not an investment vehicle...they're meant to enjoy. If you're buying simply to worry about its long term value you might want to think long and hard if buying a timepiece is the ideal use of your capital. Just my .02
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:27 AM   #14
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
It depends if you consider yourself an investor, or a collector/hobbiest. If I'm spending 10k as an investor, darn right I want to make money. If I see something I want/need to buy for my self for the pleasure of owning it, I am less concerned about turning a profit. I buy what I like for myself, and buy what I know I can resell to make money.
But are you ok spending $10,000 or more on items that have very limited value retention?
Old 23 April 2018, 04:28 AM   #15
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But are you ok spending $10,000 or more on items that have very limited value retention?
All the time with cars.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:28 AM   #16
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrissteve11 View Post
Luxury watches really are not an investment vehicle...they're meant to enjoy. If you're buying simply to worry about its long term value you might want to think long and hard if buying a timepiece is the ideal use of your capital. Just my .02
Never said investment vehicle that is a different discussion.

Can you enjoy an item on your wrist that each day loses $11 in value?
Old 23 April 2018, 04:29 AM   #17
Houston77
"TRF" Member

This type of mentality ropes people into buying models they don't want simply because of the "investment" angle. What's the point of getting into this hobby if your primary focus is on return? It robs all passion and joy.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:30 AM   #18
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So tell us Mr. Buffet. What are the killer "investment watches" in your collection?

What are the supernormal returns you can offer up on your past purchases as evidence of your WIS-related acumen?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:31 AM   #19
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
All the time with cars.
Cars are interesting though because where I live I need a car. I have no option. Watches are not a necessity and if I desire a watch I can choose wisely. I do expect a giant sucking sound with my value retention in my vehicle, I try to minimize it but unfortunately it’s a losing game I have to just swallow to function and continue in my career. It’s a business expense. A totally different concept.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:32 AM   #20
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cars are interesting though because where I live I need a car. I have no option. Watches are not a necessity and if I desire a watch I can choose wisely. I do expect a giant sucking sound with my value retention in my vehicle, I try to minimize it but unfortunately it’s a losing game I have to just swallow to function and continue in my career. It’s a business expense. A totally different concept.
You sound like you'd be a blast at parties.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:33 AM   #21
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:

It’s not really absurd if you can afford it. To me watch purchases are only made with “play money.” Meaning I’ve got my financial house in order so I’m free to spend a little. As far as value goes, I buy pre-owned. But none of us can predict what future value or demand will be. Hell, if I could go back in time a few years I would have scooped up all of the stainless Daytonas I could find at the $10k prices they used to have and sell them now for $15k. My collection is worth less than 1% of my net worth so not that I want it to lose value, it’s just that it’s not that important to me and not why I bought them in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:33 AM   #22
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
So tell us Mr. Buffet. What are the killer investment watches in your collection?

What are the supernormal returns you can offer up on your past purchases as evidence of your WIS-related acumen?
I’m not suggesting I’m investing in watches like an investor like a Buffet. This is the straw man. I just think expensive items should be carefully chosen and if you can retain value or gain value all the better. Do you disagree?
Old 23 April 2018, 04:34 AM   #23
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
So tell us Mr. Buffet. What are the killer investment watches in your collection?

Buffet rocks a Day-Date, which certainly was a poor “investment” lmao

He’s probably not too worried, however with BRK-A at just about an even $300k/share.

If losing money on a watch is of concern to your finances, then maybe you should reconsider whether you can, in fact, afford that watch.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:34 AM   #24
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
It’s not really absurd if you can afford it. To me watch purchases are only made with “play money.” Meaning I’ve got my financial house in order so I’m free to spend a little. As far as value goes, I buy pre-owned. But none of us can predict what future value or demand will be. Hell, if I could go back in time a few years I would have scooped up all of the stainless Daytonas I could find at the $10k prices they used to have and sell them now for $15k. My collection is worth less than 1% of my net worth so not that I want it to lose value, it’s just that it’s not that important to me and not why I bought them in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So in simple terms you don’t care if your collection loses value. That’s an acceptable position, I don’t subscribe but that’s ok.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:36 AM   #25
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post

He’s probably not too worried, however with BRK-A at just about an even $300k/share.

If losing money on a watch is of concern to your finances, then maybe you should reconsider whether you can, in fact, afford that watch.
Exactly. If one of my watches "retains" its value vs. me losing a couple grand, it makes absolutely no difference in my life overall. I'd rather buy what I love. This is a pursuit of passion. It's not supposed to make sense all the time.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:36 AM   #26
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post

What I do in business is unrelated. Buying luxury items and choosing wisely to not take a bath is what we are discussing.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:36 AM   #27
uber
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC, EXP1 MKII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston77 View Post
This type of mentality ropes people into buying models they don't want simply because of the "investment" angle. What's the point of getting into this hobby if your primary focus is on return? It robs all passion and joy.
agree 100%

I'm genuinely hoping this will pass.... but the case for a separate "investment/speculation" forum grows stronger daily IMHO
uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:37 AM   #28
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was just speaking for myself. I don’t have to buy $30-40k cars every 3-4 years, but I do because I like it.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:37 AM   #29
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not suggesting I’m investing in watches like an investor like a Buffet. This is the straw man. I just think expensive items should be carefully chosen and if you can retain value or gain value all the better. Do you disagree?
Value retention / gains are cherries on the top. I buy what I want to wear on my wrist.

So again, what was your best move(s)?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:37 AM   #30
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston77 View Post
Exactly. If one of my watches "retains" its value vs. me losing a couple grand, it makes absolutely no difference in my life overall. I'd rather buy what I love. This is a pursuit of passion. It's not suppose to make sense all the time.
I should have taken a poll. Being ok with losing money is an acceptable response. I’d prefer to not lose money therefore I’m not a subscriber to your position but your position is still valid.