The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2019, 12:43 PM   #31
chsu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,116520,SLA19
Okay, talk me into Tumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
One thing to keep an eye out for is their discount stuff...I am talking about Tumi luggage that ends up at places like Nordstrom Rack and their outlet stores. I've read online that the Tumi products you usually find at these stores are not the same quality/design as what's available on their website and traditional B&M stores and retailers. Would love to hear from some of the experts on here if there is any validity to this...

There is a difference comparing Tumi outlet product to store merchandise. You can put them side by side and spot the differences easily.

1. The ballistic nylon is a slightly lighter thinner gauge.

2. The outlet carryon wheels are only one per corner vs 2 per corner from a store.

There are probably more as I did not get into it. It is not worth the 10% price difference to me to shop outlet.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:41 PM   #32
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
So on all outlet stores...here's the deal...the merchandise is made for the outlet market, not the regular stores. It's cut rate stuff to begin with for clothes and merchandise, with occasional exceptions. Most of what you are handling was never in the flagship stores.
Old 11 June 2019, 02:21 PM   #33
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
There is a difference comparing Tumi outlet product to store merchandise. You can put them side by side and spot the differences easily.

1. The ballistic nylon is a slightly lighter thinner gauge.

2. The outlet carryon wheels are only one per corner vs 2 per corner from a store.

There are probably more as I did not get into it. It is not worth the 10% price difference to me to shop outlet.

Interesting, this i did not know! That’s very odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 02:49 PM   #34
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timepieceluvr View Post
Briggs & Riley > Tumi. No contest, it’s the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about rimowa?
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 03:01 PM   #35
DasKptl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
What about rimowa?

Rimowa > Tumi

DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:11 PM   #36
Collection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
B&R has the best warranty

I like Tom Bihn luggage/bags
+2

I'm a big fan of Briggs & Riley.

Most of us like Rolex because they are rugged, dependable and we can trust that they will still look nice even if we are not babying them or when we are engaging in perilous adventures.
Briggs & Riley suitcases are the same. I fly 50 times a year (used to be more) and I never had any issues whatsoever, except the leather on the carrying handles being discolored. Their compression system with ratchets is quite ingenious too. The fact that it is a soft shell suitcase in ballistic nylon (unlike Rimowa) gives more flexibility for packing and prevents scratches / dents.

I also agree with you on Tom Bihn... They are amazing for non-wheeled bags. They are the best in terms of organization.
They are definitely the ones to have if you want to "hack" your packing. Like all the TB fans, I love the O-rings system.

Now for non-wheeled and indestructible I only trust Red Oxx. Their warranty is truly bulletproof. My favorite bag is also their most simple: the extra small aviator. With packing cubes it can carry as much as a regular cabin-sized suitcase but it fits under the seat of a Beechcraft 1900. If my commute involves a leg on a small turboprop that's my go-to bag. Not need to check it at the gate = time saved.

Tumi is nice and I have nothing bad to say about them but for me Briggs & Riley is above.
Collection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 08:26 AM   #37
Carney0121
"TRF" Member

No love for victorinox? Personally I think they look great and have worked out well for my relatively frequent travels. The brand also isn't as common as Tumi or B and R, which is a huge plus for me.
Carney0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:05 AM   #38
Star Ferry
Banned

Tumi design is a bit more aggressive, price is little bit higher but still far below the European designer brands. like B&R it is made overseas which keeps the price reasonable.

can't really go wrong. personally for rolling luggage I use briggs and riley, for backpack or briefcase I use tumi. both a good mix of affordability and durability

recently i needed a big checked suitcase for a trip. I got a $60 amazon basics 2-wheel and it was fine. would like to use it for 5-10 trips before tossing, but might toss after this trip since my closet space in chicago is limited
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:30 AM   #39
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
So on all outlet stores...here's the deal...the merchandise is made for the outlet market, not the regular stores. It's cut rate stuff to begin with for clothes and merchandise, with occasional exceptions. Most of what you are handling was never in the flagship stores.
Thanks. I knew this was the case with a lot of clothing stores (think anything from AG to Levi's for jeans) and had read about this elsewhere online for Tumi. Personally I've never purchased luggage from one of their outlet stores but always wondered. Thanks for confirming!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:14 PM   #40
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Around my house, we are a Briggs and Riley shop. Better warranty, better product. It’s what the professional traveler/airline crew member in my house uses as do many of her cohorts (or travel pro)...not much Tumi in those ranks.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:55 PM   #41
Johngalt1
Banned

We have a couple of pieces that have held up quite well - admittedly though, purchased prior to the Samsonite purchase. We have the extended trip bag, which is great when going away for a while or with a family. The only problem is that it's way too easy to get over the weight limit. Also have a carry-on and thinking about picking up another medium-sized bag that can be checked.
Johngalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:29 AM   #42
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
... I don’t do checked luggage on business trips even if it is 3 weeks long so its worth it to me.
How can you possibly pack for 3 weeks with just a carry-on?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:22 AM   #43
Carney0121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I do this on a regular basis when I travel for work. 2 pairs of pants, 5-6 polos, 1 t-shirt, 1 set of gym clothes, athletic shoes, a week's worth of underwear, and the clothes on my back. All of this fills less than half of my carry-on bag. Then I have a laptop, a tablet, and all the other miscellaneous travel items that go in a backpack, which fills the other half of the carry-on. It helps that most of the shirts I pack are made of merino wool or silver lined thread, so I can wear items multiple times without smelling or looking like a hobo. Just hang the clothes each night to air out and they're good to go. And yes, that includes the gym clothes (even with daily workouts). Depending on my schedule and the hotel I'll have the hotel launder my underwear once a week.

For leisure trips I can get away with less, since I can do without the polos and don't need to bring my laptop and peripherals. Usually a small duffel - just a bit larger than my backpack - will suffice.
Carney0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:39 AM   #44
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
I apologize for interrupting the B&R/Tumi/Rimowa/etc discussions which are all very good!...but..... pictures!!!!

haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:50 AM   #45
chsu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,116520,SLA19
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

My work took me around the world and stay in different hotels every night except the 5th or 6th day where I plan laundry. Rinse and repeat.

Bring only a computer backpack and 22 inch carry on. Winter clothing is more limiting with days without laundry as clothes are heavier and thicker. 34lbs was the heaviest I can remember.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote