The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 13 February 2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
How do you tell if your watch is magnetized?

All,
Just wondering what symptoms your watch would exhibit if it is magnetized?

Thanks in advance,
David
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Place it gently in a bowl of water. If it slowly spins around and points north then it's magnetised.

Seriously if it has been in contact with a strong magnetc field it will likely run ridiculously fast as the hairspring may have tangled.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Place it gently in a bowl of water. If it slowly spins around and points north then it's magnetised.

Seriously if it has been in contact with a strong magnetc field it will likely run ridiculously fast as the hairspring may have tangled.
Like 17 seconds a day? Like my year old Sub Date has just started doing? Or much faster? It used to be 3 seconds fast, now it's 17 seconds fast a day. No abuse, and I can't really think of any strong magnets, but I just wondered what a magnetized watch shows as far as symptoms.

Thanks for your reply,
David
Old 16 February 2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
LOL no rediculously fast means hours a day not seconds. Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Atl

Just got watch back from Dallas, as I said earlier, September 2010 Sub Date, running 16 seconds fast. Now fresh from Dallas RSC, it's 8 seconds fast per 24 hours. I guess that's better than 16! No good enough!

I will call Dallas Monday, NOT happy! My 6year old GMT is, and has always been -1 second per 24 hours.
Old 7 March 2011, 05:28 AM   #6
Atl

Now, after a week, and letting it rest at night on it's side, crown down, it's 12 seconds per 24h fast. I called Dallas, and they said to wear it, and only wind it every other day, and that they would call me on March 9'th., to see if there is any improvement. As there has been no improvement yet, I guess it is going back to Dallas to be regulated for the fourth time in one year.
Old 7 March 2011, 06:00 AM   #7
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
Now, after a week, and letting it rest at night on it's side, crown down, it's 12 seconds per 24h fast. I called Dallas, and they said to wear it, and only wind it every other day, and that they would call me on March 9'th., to see if there is any improvement. As there has been no improvement yet, I guess it is going back to Dallas to be regulated for the fourth time in one year.
David,
Since you are going back and forth with them so much maybe you can collect your own data.
Wear the watch as you normally do. When not wearing it place it dial up for a week and log the time shift every day at the same time. Then do the same for a week with crown down.
If it is consistent day in and day out tell Dallas to adjust it to your reading no matter their timing machine says. Better yet, can Rolex have someone local to you to adjust it for you so you do not have ship it?
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 07:55 AM   #8
kenhiraihnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
David,
Since you are going back and forth with them so much maybe you can collect your own data.
Wear the watch as you normally do. When not wearing it place it dial up for a week and log the time shift every day at the same time. Then do the same for a week with crown down.
If it is consistent day in and day out tell Dallas to adjust it to your reading no matter their timing machine says. Better yet, can Rolex have someone local to you to adjust it for you so you do not have ship it?
Great suggestion, IMHO. My Sub was running inconsistently, first fast, then after service, slow. After 6 months of collecting data, I sent it back, after a local watchmaker suggested that I mention a problem with the hairspring. Now it runs within COSC, and I never worry about accuracy. I'm not a watch tech, but after reading an article in Watchtime magazine, I realize how a proper functioning hairspring will improve consistency. Hope you get it worked out, so you can enjoy your watch.

Rolex Milgauss GV (100m 330 feet) (2010) * Rolex Submariner 5512 (200m 660 feet) (1961)
kenhiraihnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhiraihnl View Post
Great suggestion, IMHO. My Sub was running inconsistently, first fast, then after service, slow. After 6 months of collecting data, I sent it back, after a local watchmaker suggested that I mention a problem with the hairspring. Now it runs within COSC, and I never worry about accuracy. I'm not a watch tech, but after reading an article in Watchtime magazine, I realize how a proper functioning hairspring will improve consistency. Hope you get it worked out, so you can enjoy your watch.
I mentioned the hairspring when they received the watch, as something to look at. They told me that it was running +2 seconds per 24h when it was shipped back to me. With it face up during the night when I am sleeping, it will run 8-9 seconds fast per 24h. If I place it on it's side, crown down (which should slow it down), while I am sleeping, it runs 12-13 seconds fast per 24h. My 6 year old GMT II runs -1 second per 24h, no matter what I do. I don't get what the problem is with this almost year old Sub Date. Totally frustrating! Four regulations at Dallas RSC in one year?!? I don't get it. SOMETHING IS WRONG.
Old 7 March 2011, 04:18 PM   #10
kenhiraihnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Since you have a 2-year warranty on service, I'd be persistent and send it back. As I posted, my watch now runs within COSC, but it took a couple of returns. The last time I got the Sub back, my watchmaker included a timing machine slip. I guess he wanted to show me the results of his final regulation. Hope you get it worked out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5512 Time machine stats.jpg (45.3 KB, 646 views)

Rolex Milgauss GV (100m 330 feet) (2010) * Rolex Submariner 5512 (200m 660 feet) (1961)
kenhiraihnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2011, 07:04 AM   #11
Atl

I hope so, we will see, and I will bring up the hairspring to be inspected again.
Old 16 January 2012, 03:53 AM   #12
ssn767

Atl -

As I'm looking at sending a GMT and Submariner to Dallas RSC next week, I was wondering if they ever fixed your watch to your satisfaction? If so, how many times did you have to send it back before it was made right?
ssn767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 10:28 PM   #13
mr500cm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
My Submariner was loosing 20 seconds a day, 10 months after a service. Had it re-serviced and now I"m +5 sec after a month...much better.
mr500cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 11:15 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
All,
Just wondering what symptoms your watch would exhibit if it is magnetized?

Thanks in advance,
David
In general the movement will run very very erratic in general speed up and not by a just a few seconds or come to a complete stop and refuse to start.But its quite easy today to de-magnetise any mechanical watch its not rocket science.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote