The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Closed Thread

Old 6 January 2010, 08:50 AM   #1
sandor
"TRF" Member

Face Replacement on New Datejust

I got a new SS/18k Datejust for Christmas. The face is black with the word Rolex artfully placed on the face. I don't really like it although it is nice looking. I called factory service for the steps to get a new, standard blue face. The treatment indicated great suspicion on their part. I was told that I needed to do a full service, or they would not sell me a face. The face was around $400 and the service would be $550. Is this really necessary? Is there another way to go about getting a genuine Rolex face installed? Thanks.
Old 7 January 2010, 12:39 AM   #2
ed54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234, Speedy Pro
I bought a used dial and will have a local watchmaker replace the dial. Total cost should be about $350.
This was a used watch I bought, and it may be a bit more complicated with a new watch. I don't know if Rolex or a local watchmaker would have a problem with a non-factory watchmaker working on a watch that is under warranty. Your best bet would be to find an AD with their own watchmaker who will swap the dial without a service.
I opted to get a used dial because I didn't want to spend the $400 (and Rolex keeps the old dial). I checked with Steve Mulholland on the forum, but he didn't have the dial I wanted. I finally found a dial on eBay, but I'm taking a chance that it could be a fake.
Ed
Old 8 January 2010, 06:06 AM   #3
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

That's been my experience dealing with the service centers. Everything seems to require the $500 service +parts when they open it. Even though your watch is new and shouldn't require it yet they still have to open it.

I'm also not a big fan of doing what you describe. Changing out faces, hands, bezels and creating "frankenstien" rolexes. If it's as new as you claim, I would attempt to exchange it for a style and color you prefer.
Old 11 January 2010, 01:30 AM   #4
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed54 View Post
I finally found a dial on eBay, but I'm taking a chance that it could be a fake.
Ed
I did the same, and my dial IS non-Rolex. But I like it, and it only cost $100 from Ebay and free to swap when I had my watchmaker do a service ($150).

I would never send this watch to Rolex Service Center because of the dial swap, but then again now that I have found a competent watchmaker that I trust, I will not be sending any watches to Rolex again. Insane prices, long turnaround, and terrible communication (eg almost none).

Instead of using the word "fake", I prefer "Custom".

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 11 January 2010, 01:38 AM   #5
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmarshall View Post
That's been my experience dealing with the service centers. Everything seems to require the $500 service +parts when they open it. Even though your watch is new and shouldn't require it yet they still have to open it.

I'm also not a big fan of doing what you describe. Changing out faces, hands, bezels and creating "frankenstien" rolexes. If it's as new as you claim, I would attempt to exchange it for a style and color you prefer.
I had a 2004 Rolex 16220 that I sent to Rolex New York for a service just after the warranty ran out (2005ish) and after a pleasant discussion on the phone they did the service for $150, which I believe was 1/2 price at the time. Also, I asked if they could put black hands on it for increased legibility. They did, and returned my original hands to me. I have sold that watch, but it does go to show that Rolex will (or did in my case) discount their prices under certain circumstances.

Here it is with the black hands, and if Rolex does the "swap" does that make it a "frankenstein" Rolex?

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 11 January 2010, 03:09 PM   #6
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
I had a 2004 Rolex 16220 that I sent to Rolex New York for a service just after the warranty ran out (2005ish) and after a pleasant discussion on the phone they did the service for $150, which I believe was 1/2 price at the time. Also, I asked if they could put black hands on it for increased legibility. They did, and returned my original hands to me. I have sold that watch, but it does go to show that Rolex will (or did in my case) discount their prices under certain circumstances.

Here it is with the black hands, and if Rolex does the "swap" does that make it a "frankenstein" Rolex?
If Rolex does it with rolex parts meant for that watch, no. TO me frankenstein rolexes are the ones people take and add bling and ebay parts. I tend to agree with Rolex per their service receipts that it is considered a fake after such changes.
Old 11 January 2010, 11:08 PM   #7
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Incredible

Try Steven Mulholland or Bartonjet, they might have a dial for you.

If the dial is original and matches the model it isn't fake.

crazy RUSA!

Jack
Old 12 January 2010, 04:18 AM   #8
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post
I got a new SS/18k Datejust for Christmas. The face is black with the word Rolex artfully placed on the face. I don't really like it although it is nice looking. I called factory service for the steps to get a new, standard blue face. The treatment indicated great suspicion on their part. I was told that I needed to do a full service, or they would not sell me a face. The face was around $400 and the service would be $550. Is this really necessary? Is there another way to go about getting a genuine Rolex face installed? Thanks.
In the UK, rolex will swap the dial for free on a brand new watch.
Old 12 January 2010, 04:40 AM   #9
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Quote:
Why don't you go to the AD they purchased the watch from and get an exchange for the watch you really want? That shouldn't be an issue at all.

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
Old 12 January 2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
What you all don't seem to realize is the old adage last one to touch your watch is now responsible should anything go wrong in the near future. After having serviced some 10,000 rolex watches and not knowing the condition or last service schedule of the afformentioned watch it's only prudent to as they say cover your a**. Even if you tell a customer that there will be no warranty if something goes wrong down the line you know who they're going to call. So please don't comdemn why sometimes a service is required in an unknown situation. One of my wholesale accounts sent in a 1980's single quik pres and the customer wanted only a tube and crown which was completely shot so I openned the watch and it had never been serviced, so I called the customer with the appropriate estimate in my opinion and they said all they wanted was the tube and crown and I declined to do the repair because all it would do is open a never ending can of worms. So to sum up in a slightly shorter version we as watchmakers are only looking out for your best interest and not always out to make a buck. All the good watchmakers I know have more work than they know what to do with and I always look out for my customers. Thanx for reading Rikki
Old 21 January 2010, 03:30 AM   #11
Jimmieray

Watch: SS DJ 116234
RSC will bend if you push hard enough

Quote:
I just had the same experience dealing with their NY RSC. I wanted to change the dial on my month old DJ. I was told the same thing they told you. The third time I called and was turned down, I insisted to talk to a supervisor. I left a message and 5 days later she calls back. She basically agreed to switch my dial to a dial that was not 1 of the 3 dials they said I could get. And no $500.00 service charge. She asked me to fax sales receipt and warranty card and would be good to go. 2 days later I found the dial I wanted. In regard to buying off Ebay I have purchased 2 dials from Ebay and seller stated both were factory originals. I bought them and took to my jeweler who is a Rolex certified tech and he confirmed they were real. If you ever plan to flip that watch in the future I would keep the factory original and find some dials you like. Thats what I am doing, collecting dials. if you do let Rolex switch the dial, they will take your dial but will send you info showing your new dial is from Rolex. Happy Hunting!
Old 21 January 2010, 06:14 AM   #12
ed54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234, Speedy Pro
I guess Rikki has it right. I dropped off my watch at the local watchmaker to install the dial and got a call back demanding that a full service be done. Since it is time anyway, and the dial exchange cost is absorbed in the service cost, I had no problem with that, except that it adds a week or so before I get the watch back. I'm already suffering withdrawal symptoms (like considering the purchase of a spare for such emergencies).
Ed
Old 12 August 2016, 07:22 PM   #13
SearChart
TechXpert

No service is needed for a dial swap.
Closed Thread