The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 22 February 2010, 06:45 AM   #61
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
To add to the fire, I have used RSCs in the past. The work was done as requested but there was nothing earth shaking or life changing using RSC over a private source.
When calling the RSC it is a 50/50 shot on getting a person on the other end of the line who may listen to your question, or even want to transfer you to a person who can answer basic questions (not what is wrong with my watch questions). I am of the view the typical RSC contact, will say what ever it takes to get you to blindly send in your watch (I would take a pleasure trip to hell before using the NY RSC). Rolex is not so big that they can not give the same level of basic customer service one would expect when buying coffee at 7-11. We pay big $$$ for Rolex good customer serive should be expected.

When going to a watch smith, I usually save three to four times what the RSC wants, the parts are always in stock, I have never waited longer than two days for the return of my watch. So unless your Rolex is less than two years old why wold you ever use a RSC?

Don't be conditioned by Rolex their RSCs are your only serivce choice. RSC are not better than other options you have ask questions look around and find someone in your area. I have read many posts on this forum about members returning thier Rolex watches two times (or more) to get the RSC to do the job correctly.
Old 2 March 2010, 11:50 AM   #62
Edzo
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know the service costs for Rolex in Singapore or Malaysia.
I live in Perth and might get my watches serviced next time I'm on holidays. Tks
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2010, 04:28 PM   #63
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Wow! That is a huge price increase.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2010, 03:29 PM   #64
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Just for the heck of it I called both the Dallas and NY RSCs. Dallas price starts at $555 and NY starts out at $600 for a basic service, plus parts. Screw that. I will stick with my local watchmaker.
This is correct, $575.00 + shipping, and included parts, and switching my black GMT II bezel to a Pepsi one at no extra cost. I was very satisfied, and consider it worth it (it's only every 7 years!). The $700 service rumor is untrue. Just sent back two weeks ago. Plus the one year warranty, and try to get anyone else to polish your case and bracelet as good as Rolex does, I dare you. BTW, I would only send my watches to Dallas, and not NY RSC.

Call Patek and see how much they charge for a standard service, it makes Rolex look cheap.
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2010, 03:36 PM   #65
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewithabob View Post
When I had my Datejust serviced a few years ago, I was shocked by the price quoted by my AD, and so I went home and called the service center and realized that the AD was marking up the cost of the service by 30%. In my case, driving 5 miles to the service center was worth the time and effort.
I warned you all about this in another thread, DO NOT HAVE YOUR AD SEND YOU WATCH TO AN RSC FOR SERVICE! The do add a mark up. Brown and Co. in Atlanta does, between $125.00 and up. Call any RSC and they will send you a free mail kit to send it yourself, it includes everything, and is free. Just call them.
Old 8 March 2010, 03:42 PM   #66
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmarshall View Post
Last year I got an estimate from the local Rolex service center for a standard movement service. I was quoted the typical $550. I decided to wait a few months till after the holidays and the bills. I went back last week. I was now quoted $750!! I was told the prices increased this year due to the weak value of the $$ to the EUR. Not sure why US labor is affected by Euro markets?!? Sadly they could not honor my original estimate as it was written more then 60 days ago
I do not believe you as I just had mine fully serviced at Dallas RSC. Unless you have a: Daytona, Masterpiece, or a really old watch. My 6 year old GMT II was fully serviced, including parts for under $600.00, returned two weeks ago, I can PM you the bill.
Old 8 March 2010, 03:42 PM   #67
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1@160@alltimes View Post
Can anyone else confirm? If true, this is really a substantial increase
Not true. Period.
Old 8 March 2010, 03:45 PM   #68
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by imono View Post
I wanted to get my 2005 DD serviced.
My local dealer quoted $650.00
"Just drop it off here and expect 6 to 8 weeks."
I could not do it for that long.
That is more that Rolex charges, and longer. Why???
Old 8 March 2010, 03:50 PM   #69
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirotti View Post
I heard that only RSC can service the Deepsea at the moment, is this true? Either because of the equipment required to pressure test the case or there isn't a caseback wrench yet for it?
Correct, nobody can pressure test it, except Rolex, the caseback opening is not an issue. COMEX had to develop the equipment to pressure test it.

David
Old 8 March 2010, 03:58 PM   #70
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
To add to the fire, I have used RSCs in the past. The work was done as requested but there was nothing earth shaking or life changing using RSC over a private source.
When calling the RSC it is a 50/50 shot on getting a person on the other end of the line who may listen to your question, or even want to transfer you to a person who can answer basic questions (not what is wrong with my watch questions). I am of the view the typical RSC contact, will say what ever it takes to get you to blindly send in your watch (I would take a pleasure trip to hell before using the NY RSC). Rolex is not so big that they can not give the same level of basic customer service one would expect when buying coffee at 7-11. We pay big $$$ for Rolex good customer serive should be expected.

When going to a watch smith, I usually save three to four times what the RSC wants, the parts are always in stock, I have never waited longer than two days for the return of my watch. So unless your Rolex is less than two years old why wold you ever use a RSC?

Don't be conditioned by Rolex their RSCs are your only serivce choice. RSC are not better than other options you have ask questions look around and find someone in your area. I have read many posts on this forum about members returning thier Rolex watches two times (or more) to get the RSC to do the job correctly.
You say you save three to four times what Rolex charges? So you get a full service, polish, warranty, all for about $150.00??? Assuming you are using the the price I just paid Dallas RSC for a full service, $575.00. Who exactly do you use to fully service a Rolex for so little? I would be terrified to even let them look at my watch, much less service it. You get what you pay for in the end. I am assuming you were kidding.

As for NY RSC's customer service, I agree, they never get my business, but Dallas is great!
Old 8 March 2010, 08:40 PM   #71
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
That is more that Rolex charges, and longer. Why???
Some AD's will wait until they have multiple watches to ship out to send them. It only requires one trip to the Post Office per week, saving them the time and hassle of going every few days.

Some AD's also will make a profit on people for the service. There are still a lot of people who don't ask questions. Maybe they don't know or just don't care. To some, it isn't important to have an itemized bill for a service. Some AD's will make a profit for this reason, some just because.

When I sent mine in for service and warranty work, I called RSC myself. This way I was the one contacted on everything that was happening.
Old 9 March 2010, 09:35 AM   #72
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Some AD's will wait until they have multiple watches to ship out to send them. It only requires one trip to the Post Office per week, saving them the time and hassle of going every few days.

Some AD's also will make a profit on people for the service. There are still a lot of people who don't ask questions. Maybe they don't know or just don't care. To some, it isn't important to have an itemized bill for a service. Some AD's will make a profit for this reason, some just because.

When I sent mine in for service and warranty work, I called RSC myself. This way I was the one contacted on everything that was happening.
I do the same thing, direct contact with the RSC.
Old 9 March 2010, 09:45 AM   #73
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
If I need ROLEX "specific service," then I go straight to GENEVA, not even RUSA !
Plus, GENEVA pricing was 1/3 less than RUSA...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 12:21 AM   #74
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Quote:
This is correct, $575.00 + shipping, and included parts, and switching my black GMT II bezel to a Pepsi one at no extra cost. I was very satisfied, and consider it worth it (it's only every 7 years!). The $700 service rumor is untrue. Just sent back two weeks ago. Plus the one year warranty, and try to get anyone else to polish your case and bracelet as good as Rolex does, I dare you. BTW, I would only send my watches to Dallas, and not NY RSC.

Call Patek and see how much they charge for a standard service, it makes Rolex look cheap.
Did you send them the Pepsi bezel to switch? And did you get your black bezel back?
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 01:21 AM   #75
squinky1

Watch: Rolex sea dweller
Here we come local watchmakers!

My guy will service a Rolex with factory parts for $350.
squinky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 03:53 AM   #76
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by squinky1 View Post
My guy will service a Rolex with factory parts for $350.

A good indie watch maker is to be treasured.....mine charged US$350. for a complete service on my 1963 datejust! Rolex USA isn't too keen on working on older watches.
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 05:45 PM   #77
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
Did you send them the Pepsi bezel to switch? And did you get your black bezel back?
No, I did not get the black insert back, I asked them to switch it to a Pepsi insert, which they did at no extra cost. They kept the black one. i did not send them a Pepsi insert. Apparently, they change inserts as part of the service. My insert was un-damaged. It was my request, I wanted a change.
Old 16 March 2010, 05:48 PM   #78
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
whilst hunting a deal on my DSSD last month in the UK a local AD pulled out the Rolex folder containing various prices including the UK service page, i only noticed the 2 relevant to me...£330 for a Submariner Date & £355 for the DSSD....i couldn't get a cash discount from the AD but he did offer me a free service on either of the watches pointing out that the DSSD service would be worth the best part of £500 in 5 years time

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 07:03 PM   #79
Dr. Jones

Watch: LV Sub, GMT IIC
I like my local watch smith. They (Father and Son) are salt of the earth, they love watches like I do and they take the time to talk with me about any thing watch. I have started tipping them when they fix or buy parts for my any of my watches. It's my way of saying thanks and I want you to stay in business. I figure I am saving money over sending my watches to the RSC. A tip on top of the bill is not too hard to come up with. over the years I have had work done I have never had to return because the job has been done correctly the first time.
Dr. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2010, 02:47 PM   #80
wickedrsr
"TRF" Member

I jsut went today and they told me that a overhaul for a day date was 1000!
wickedrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2010, 04:25 PM   #81
achova
"TRF" Member

Watch: it vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
Does anyone know how much Rolex would charge to completely replace the case on an M-series 16610LV? Not repair/polish, but actually swap?
I sent my 1970 1675 GMT-Master to Rolex NY last week. It had heavily worn lugs but was otherwise very pretty. As much as I'd like to keep the original, I wanted the case replaced.

I got the call yesterday morning. I did not write down the numbers but the recommended service of the movement (incl. crown, tube, crystal plus bezel-insert) was in the neighborhood of $550; the 'case-frame' (case plus back) was an additional ~$550; Other add-ons include just under $500 for the Oyster bracelet and something just over $200 for the bezel itself...
Old 24 March 2010, 04:47 PM   #82
mach330
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,PAM 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I had my 1963 DJ serviced last year at an independent, an AD that has a staff of 3 watchmakers....reason I had it serviced was it was not running well...it needed it...this shop did a complete service...$350. They did a great job & watch is running like new!
Since Rolex closed their RSC here in L.A., I'm not wild about sending my Rolexes to Dallas.

holy crap these services are crazy expensive!!! btw..where in la did u get urs serviced? been meaning to get my gmt II serviced. $350 sounds fair.
mach330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2010, 03:28 PM   #83
Green Sub

Quote:
I warned you all about this in another thread, DO NOT HAVE YOUR AD SEND YOU WATCH TO AN RSC FOR SERVICE! The do add a mark up. Brown and Co. in Atlanta does, between $125.00 and up. Call any RSC and they will send you a free mail kit to send it yourself, it includes everything, and is free. Just call them.
Do you have any experience with Brown & Co? I am in Acworth.
Green Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2010, 01:29 PM   #84
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Sub View Post
Stay far, far away from Brown and Co., unless you like sending your watch to Rolex RSC to fix their damage to your watch, after they supposedly fixed it. If you want, PM me and I will give further details.
Old 29 March 2010, 01:30 PM   #85
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Sub View Post
I have plenty of experience with them, both as an employee, and as a customer.
Old 3 April 2010, 12:12 PM   #86
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Thank goodness all my watches have their first servicing included...

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2010, 11:26 AM   #87
Big Joe

Watch: Rolex GMTII
I just got my GMTII back from service today. I sent it through my AD seven weeks ago. They said it would take 6-8 weeks. Two weeks later I got a call and was told the estimate for the service and regulating would be $585.00. I reminded them the watch was still under factory warranty and they had the warranty card when I brought the watch in.

The watch is my favorite, but it has not kept time that well. I have a nice collection of watches, and this is the only one that has problems with accuracy. It has gotten worse over time. In any case, I took it to be serviced through the RSC because it was still under warranty.

I have read in the book that came with the watch that they do certain things in servicing the watch. I was excited to see Rolex do the work because I knew it would come back running good, and looking as close to new as a used watch can. I have worn it a lot, but it is not in bad shape, just surface scratches. It is a two tone and still in reasonably good shape.

I was called today telling me it was back and ready. I was so excited to get it back. I arrived at the AD to get it and it was in a green bag with a micro fiber cleaning cloth and a box with the receipt (free) for the work done. She pulled the watch out of the bag, and then handed it to me. The first thing I noticed was that it was dirtier than when I left it with the AD. The case has a film over it that I will have to clean. They did not buff anything and all the scratches are still on the bracelet and some new ones on the case back that were not there when the watch was delivered to the AD for mailing to the RSC.

I am very disappointed. I love my watch, and my Submariner runs flawlessly as does my wife's Date Just. However, the service was far from being up to par and I am left with a really bad taste in my mouth concerning Rolex.

I have 2 Breitlings. one needed a minor service and was returned to the AD for shipment to Breitling. It came back in 3 weeks completely serviced, even though I had not asked for that, the problem corrected, and fully reconditioned. It looked brand spanking new. It came with my papers returned, in a very cool shipping bag, and a micro fiber cloth. They did an incredible job and I am more than pleased. Maybe Rolex could learn a bit from them.

I still love my Rolex's, and my GMT is still my favorite, but I am very unhappy with the work performed. If they make it run properly I will be happy enough, but I worry about the quality of the inside work when they don't deliver on the little things. To compound the issue, they make it very hard to contact anyone at Rolex to inquire about the issues. I realize I am venting and I appreciate the opportunity.
Big Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2010, 02:07 PM   #88
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
I just got my GMTII back from service today. I sent it through my AD seven weeks ago. They said it would take 6-8 weeks. Two weeks later I got a call and was told the estimate for the service and regulating would be $585.00. I reminded them the watch was still under factory warranty and they had the warranty card when I brought the watch in.

The watch is my favorite, but it has not kept time that well. I have a nice collection of watches, and this is the only one that has problems with accuracy. It has gotten worse over time. In any case, I took it to be serviced through the RSC because it was still under warranty.

I have read in the book that came with the watch that they do certain things in servicing the watch. I was excited to see Rolex do the work because I knew it would come back running good, and looking as close to new as a used watch can. I have worn it a lot, but it is not in bad shape, just surface scratches. It is a two tone and still in reasonably good shape.

I was called today telling me it was back and ready. I was so excited to get it back. I arrived at the AD to get it and it was in a green bag with a micro fiber cleaning cloth and a box with the receipt (free) for the work done. She pulled the watch out of the bag, and then handed it to me. The first thing I noticed was that it was dirtier than when I left it with the AD. The case has a film over it that I will have to clean. They did not buff anything and all the scratches are still on the bracelet and some new ones on the case back that were not there when the watch was delivered to the AD for mailing to the RSC.

I am very disappointed. I love my watch, and my Submariner runs flawlessly as does my wife's Date Just. However, the service was far from being up to par and I am left with a really bad taste in my mouth concerning Rolex.

I have 2 Breitlings. one needed a minor service and was returned to the AD for shipment to Breitling. It came back in 3 weeks completely serviced, even though I had not asked for that, the problem corrected, and fully reconditioned. It looked brand spanking new. It came with my papers returned, in a very cool shipping bag, and a micro fiber cloth. They did an incredible job and I am more than pleased. Maybe Rolex could learn a bit from them.

I still love my Rolex's, and my GMT is still my favorite, but I am very unhappy with the work performed. If they make it run properly I will be happy enough, but I worry about the quality of the inside work when they don't deliver on the little things. To compound the issue, they make it very hard to contact anyone at Rolex to inquire about the issues. I realize I am venting and I appreciate the opportunity.
That's not good! Have you thought of mailing a letter to Rolex HQ in NYC...send it registered.....maybe that'll get thru to someone?
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2010, 07:26 PM   #89
walds11
"TRF" Member

Which RSC was it sent to? Call the RSC and demand that they fix the problems. Been there, done that with the NY RSC. I probably wont use an RSC ever again unless it's for warranty work.
Old 23 April 2010, 08:24 PM   #90
Nicko
Banned

All the more reason to own "Vintage" RSC España won't tough my recently acquired 5513 anyway....My watchmaker quoted me €250 Euro or about $330 at today's conversion rate. Less than half RSC....
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote