The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 May 2011, 04:29 AM   #1
leed
"TRF" Member

Watchamaker earnings

Hello everyone,

As a person who likes watches, I'm thinking about going to school for watchmaking. I have done my research and there are several schools that interest me: Litiz, St Pauls, and few others. There really isn't much watchmaking school to begin with.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows how much watchmakers earn if they work at an AD. Please don't give me online stats, they are inaccurate and they don't provide accurate information because they aren't consistent I find.

Last year, I went to an AD in montreal and I asked one of the salesman about the pay and she replied that that they earned as much as accountants! But I would like to know an accurate pay scale, (an average per hour) and would anyone kindly help out if they have some knowledge in this area?

Sorry: title should be "watchmaker" not "watchamaker"!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 05:42 AM   #2
leed
"TRF" Member

Anybody.....?
Old 11 May 2011, 05:47 AM   #3
R.G
Banned

Why did you ask one of the sales people about thier pay when you are interested in finding out more about being a watchmaker?

Or where you asking a sales person at the AD about the watchmakers pay?!?
R.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 05:47 AM   #4
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
I'd contact one of the schools you listed and ask them about job placement percentages and starting salaries. They should definitely be able to provide you this information.
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Haven't got a clue! Funny to say the same as accountants seeing as there must be a huge variation in what accountants make. Good luck getting an answer.
Ps don't be surprised if this gets moved to a different part of the forum-it isn't really specifically rolex related.
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 05:58 AM   #6
youenjoymyself
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC!
Doubt this adds much but accountant's pay generally starts around $50k annually for auditing work (pre CA designation).
youenjoymyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Danand
"TRF" Member

But some accountants will always make that much and others will go on to hundreds of thousands if they are really successful.
I doubt there is the same range in watchmakers unless you get into the extremely high end complications.
Now maybe it is like pharmacy-the real money is in the store the pharmacist works in. Ie a watchmaker that is also a dealer likely is where it's at.
Old 11 May 2011, 06:17 AM   #8
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
Why did you ask one of the sales people about thier pay when you are interested in finding out more about being a watchmaker?

Or where you asking a sales person at the AD about the watchmakers pay?!?

I was asking a sales person about the watchmaker's pay.
Old 11 May 2011, 06:19 AM   #9
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRabens View Post
I'd contact one of the schools you listed and ask them about job placement percentages and starting salaries. They should definitely be able to provide you this information.
I contacted them and they said somewhere around $40,000 as a starting salary but you have to keep in mind that a watchmaker can work anywhere.

I'm interested in how much they would earn if they work at an AD (in canada) so my question is more specific: how much do they earn while working as a watchmaker in Canada.
Old 11 May 2011, 06:21 AM   #10
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danand View Post
Haven't got a clue! Funny to say the same as accountants seeing as there must be a huge variation in what accountants make. Good luck getting an answer.
Ps don't be surprised if this gets moved to a different part of the forum-it isn't really specifically rolex related.

Yea, that is true. It is ok if this gets moved to another part of the forum, I'm sorry that I didn't post it somewhere else. I guessed it would be Rolex related.
Old 11 May 2011, 06:21 AM   #11
DrewWatson
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRabens View Post
I would certainly agree with this. The school should be able to offer you a reasonably accurate starting point fresh out of school, projected 5yr, 10yr, etc. earnings.

They may even have this information based on your demographic location, as well. It doesn't hurt to ask...I'm sure it's a very comon question among new students.
DrewWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 06:37 AM   #12
Danand
"TRF" Member

J hink you'd be better off talking to watchmakers directly in your area, or the manager or owner of an ad. Be upfront and explain you are thinking of it as a career. You are more likely to get an honest answer that way.
Old 11 May 2011, 07:30 AM   #13
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWatson View Post
I would certainly agree with this. The school should be able to offer you a reasonably accurate starting point fresh out of school, projected 5yr, 10yr, etc. earnings.

They may even have this information based on your demographic location, as well. It doesn't hurt to ask...I'm sure it's a very comon question among new students.
The thing is that the school is a US school and I'm interested in the Canadian job market. There is no canadian watchmaking school.

I've asked the school and they seemed to be hesitant to give out exact figure, I'm assuming that they didn't want to discourage me from going into it since they need more young bloods like myself.

I will ask the AD when I visit there sometimes but I wanted to see if there is anyone in the forum that might know since the response would be much quicker that way.
Old 11 May 2011, 07:32 AM   #14
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danand View Post
J hink you'd be better off talking to watchmakers directly in your area, or the manager or owner of an ad. Be upfront and explain you are thinking of it as a career. You are more likely to get an honest answer that way.
Yes, I plan to do that but I wanted to ask in this forum just to see if I could get a more direct answer. I'm surprised that no one here really knows, I thought at least one Rolex fan here would be familar with watchmaking industry!
Old 11 May 2011, 07:52 AM   #15
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Yes, I plan to do that but I wanted to ask in this forum just to see if I could get a more direct answer. I'm surprised that no one here really knows, I thought at least one Rolex fan here would be familar with watchmaking industry!
Most of us buy Rolexes to enjoy and some may perform some sort of watchmakers's tasks.

There are a few watchmaker members - await their responses - if they choose to respond.

Old 11 May 2011, 10:08 AM   #16
leed
"TRF" Member

Ok, I will wait for their responses. Please feel free to help out fellow watchmakers!
Old 11 May 2011, 10:37 AM   #17
applebook
"TRF" Member

My advice to you is that if you are as passionate about watchmaking as you say, then don't worry too much about salary expectations. All that you need to know is that generally, watchmaking is not an unskilled and lowly paid vocation.
Old 11 May 2011, 10:57 AM   #18
leed
"TRF" Member

Well, who doesn't worry about salary expectations? It is easy for people to say that but money do matter. I know watchmaking is not the most highest paying job but at least I'd like to feed myself (and my family) without much worry.

I'd like to know the pay so before I commit myself to the education (we know education isn't cheap) so I will know realistically about the future in this industry.
Old 11 May 2011, 11:16 AM   #19
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Ok well I think you might be going about this all wrong, most all of the watchmakers I know are true independents who have multiple ad and jewelery store accounts. There are very few stores or ad's that can afford a watchmaker and you have only one source of income. I learned very early on that having multiple accounts gives you flexibility and you're not tied to one location. If you try to expand when working for someone in their store they will most likely not let you do other peoples work on the premises so you get stuck at a certain level that of the store your in. I personally work for over 10 different stores ad's included and have over 10,000 personal clients and make double 6 figure income and then some. So what I'm saying is don't limit yourself to one spot life could get boring real fast. Now I'm not saying they're aren't big store accounts that could'nt keep you busy but your skill level must be quite high I myself love my independance and control my own corporation and call the shots and prices. Hope that helps if you want to know pm me. Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
What do we earn? Never enough!!!
As has been said, what you can earn very much depends on how you choose to work or who for. As an independent you are more flexible and have the ability to earn more than you could as a salaried watchmaker for an AD or a watch house/affiliate. Once you have established a client base as an independent it depends on how much time you want to spend working. I know quite a few independents who earn good money but spend a great deal of their time at the bench. Plus you then have all of the associated hassles of running your own business. Health care,sick pay, pension provision, taxes, equipment, a large expenditure for a decent workshop (and if you want to work on certain brands there will be required tools which you must have in order to do so) salaries if you expand to a point where you need help, holidays may be difficult to take when you want etc..etc...
If you choose to go the employed route then your salary may be less. However you can walk out the door at 5/5.30 and have all the benefits your employer has to offer (without having to provide these for yourself)
Thats the route I followed. I'm lucky, I work for Rolex so have the very best conditions and tools and all of the things I mentioned above, pension, health care etc.. are all taken care of and I wouldn't change it.
It depends on what work/life balance you want too.
I'm well paid and even though I'm restricted to two brands, Rolex and Tudor thats more than enough for me.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 12:12 AM   #21
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
may I ask how many watches a week you service??? I always wanted to know.
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 12:56 AM   #22
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
When I was a service watchmaker, servicing only, with no interruptions etc...
depending on the type of movement, 4 a day minimum. Roughly 20/23 a week. No case refurbishment, just movement service, dial fitting and casing up.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2011, 11:11 AM   #23
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Ironstark definately makes a valid point about all the associated goodies that come from working at a watch house such as Rolex, it is true that working for yourself is more demanding on your time because you have to do all those other things and I have worked at big ad's and stores but for the mostpart those types of goodies don't exist. Now if you're flexible as to where you want to live and work then the world is your oyster. I have a friend watchmaker who just moved to St Thomas V.I. and loves it but you have to be flexible I love where I live the climate diving fishing outdoors so I wouldn't move, if you're single you're good to go I have kids grand kids who live and work for me so I'm pretty much here for the duration. Sorry for rambling but I love what I do just research and find what best fits your lifestyle. Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote