The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Closed Thread

Old 7 October 2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

how to spot a fake movement...

Without opening the caseback, is there anyway giveaways to a fake Rolex movement? For example timing the power reserve (36 hours etc.) or listening to the movement, playing with the crown, or maybe the precision of the midnight date change?

Just curious, thanks!
Old 7 October 2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
without openning up ahh tricky look at the calendar numbers if anything on the outsied looks suspicious mostly a fake but openning it up is the only way, but I have seen copies of real movements that are scary then I get the big hammer. Rikki
Old 7 October 2009, 10:07 AM   #3
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Well if the hand doesn't move smoothly and the second hand is staggering, either it's an Oyster-Quartz, a bad fake, or the watch has a problem.
Old 7 October 2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
If you already have a recent Rolex then you have a movement that beats at 28800, it has a very distinctive almost "chiming" tick to it, the speed is critical as well....very few fake movements sound the same or beat as fast.....if you know what they look like and sound like from the outside then you have a good starting point......but unless you open the case you will never know absolutely......
Old 8 October 2009, 02:03 AM   #5
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. Good stuff.
Old 11 October 2009, 01:11 AM   #6
JoeI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai
A good way to tell that i have noticed, is that when you set the hands on the watch, a genuine watch will only rotate the hands when you turn clockwise which is the way all modern rolexes do. A fake will rotate counterclockwise.
Old 11 October 2009, 01:20 AM   #7
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Watch the date wheel movement. Should flip at midnight, not starting at 10:00PM...

Crown rotation mentioned above is also a good one...

-Sheldon
Old 11 October 2009, 01:39 AM   #8
rkammer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeI View Post
A good way to tell that i have noticed, is that when you set the hands on the watch, a genuine watch will only rotate the hands when you turn clockwise which is the way all modern rolexes do. A fake will rotate counterclockwise.
Perhaps we should clarify this a bit. The hands can be moved in either direction with both the Rolex and the fake. The difference is that with the genuine Rolex, the hands will advance time with clockwise rotation of the crown. With the fake, the hands will retard time with clockwise rotation of the crown.

I also believe that this only applies with the newer 3135 movements as well. I've heard that the prior 27J movement works the opposite just like the fakes. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 11 October 2009, 02:57 AM   #9
tthopp05

Watch: THE MIGHTY DEEPSEA
Quote:
Are you sure about that
Old 11 October 2009, 07:14 AM   #10
rkammer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthopp05 View Post
Are you sure about that
See my post immediately prior to yours.
Old 16 October 2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't understand. Please clarify: when I set the hands, they rotate BOTH ways so that I can go in reverse if I go to far. What am I missing here?
Old 16 October 2009, 10:59 AM   #12
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

OK, sorry...I didn't read rkammer's post. Yes, this makes sense and isn't this reversed in the lady's models?
Old 16 October 2009, 09:00 PM   #13
JoeI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai
[QUOTE=rkammer;1393275]Perhaps we should clarify this a bit. The hands can be moved in either direction with both the Rolex and the fake. The difference is that with the genuine Rolex, the hands will advance time with clockwise rotation of the crown. With the fake, the hands will retard time with clockwise rotation of the crown.

what I was meaning to say, thanks
Old 16 October 2009, 09:48 PM   #14
Nick1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
what about the weight. I have always found the fake one lighter. Or is it just I haven't coe across a good fake
Old 16 October 2009, 10:13 PM   #15
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
There is one way to check without opening the caseback, listen to the sounds the rotor listed as it swings around inside the case, I've noticed on recent fakes the rotor does sounds tinny and not smooth at all depending on the type of movement, as these movements usually use a spacer in the case and do not fit snug there is alto a bit of movement when manual winding and changing date a and time that can be noticed as the dial shifts around as with the hands.

Old 19 October 2009, 07:34 AM   #16
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
I also believe that this only applies with the newer 3135 movements as well. I've heard that the prior 27J movement works the opposite just like the fakes. Can anyone confirm this?
Consider it confirmed. Hands rotating CCW or CW is not a sign of the caliber being fake, it is a sign of it being a caliber 30XX or 31XX.

Best,

A
Old 19 October 2009, 08:28 AM   #17
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Without opening the caseback, is there anyway giveaways to a fake Rolex movement? For example timing the power reserve (36 hours etc.) or listening to the movement, playing with the crown, or maybe the precision of the midnight date change?Just curious, thanks!
The correct answer is NO. Like someone taking the movement out of a real Rolex and swapping it with an ETA? When in doubt open it up its the only way to be 100% sure all other methods will leave you still in doubt.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
Old 31 October 2009, 01:33 AM   #18
mlehman

Whenever I buy on from a person unknown I meet them at a watch smith and he pulls the back cover off it. If they won`t agree to that I do not buy the watch. I cover the cost at the watch smith, works well for me

Mike
Old 8 November 2009, 05:53 AM   #19
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
The correct answer is NO. Like someone taking the movement out of a real Rolex and swapping it with an ETA? When in doubt open it up its the only way to be 100% sure all other methods will leave you still in doubt.

I don't think an ETA movement would go in a genuine rolex case...and this is how you can spot a fake without opening the caseback...the stem in the eta would be in a different position, and so the crown on the fake will always give it away...

look at it from the side..the fake crown will always sit lower on the case.
Old 25 December 2009, 06:35 PM   #20
Shigefaizal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DateJust
I wearing DateJust, What I realize 2 hours before midnight, the date started to flip but not completed, flip to half way (date slowly rotate) , 4 minutes to midnight, the date completely/totally flip.
Old 25 December 2009, 11:14 PM   #21
ekek888
"TRF" Member

Icon12

[QUOTE=JoeI;1403133]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
Perhaps we should clarify this a bit. The hands can be moved in either direction with both the Rolex and the fake. The difference is that with the genuine Rolex, the hands will advance time with clockwise rotation of the crown. With the fake, the hands will retard time with clockwise rotation of the crown.

what I was meaning to say, thanks
i think rolex made watches which moved in either directions depending on the year manufactured.
Old 26 December 2009, 02:03 AM   #22
dmc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTIIC
My observations on my GMTIIC M serial number:

Turning the crown CW advances hours or minutes.
In the first position winding the watch is facilitated.

In the second position turning the crown moves the hour hand, one full rotation of the crown advances the hour hand 8 hours. In this position you will also set the calender in a semi quickset fashion. On the 3185 movement the hour hand advances 5-6 hours.

In the third position the second hand is hacked/stopped, and the minute, hour and 24 hr hand are advanced. Finally the 24 hour hand cannot be moved independantly.

On the 3186 movement the 24 hour hand is always rock steady when setting the hour hand. On the earlier movemnet (3185) the 24 hour hand wiggles a bit when you set the hour hand.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Merry Christmas

R.I.P. JJ
Rolex GMTIIC M
Rolex GMTIIC V TRF
Rolex 16610 M
Rolex 116610 G
Omega SMP

Live Free Or Die
Old 26 December 2009, 02:44 AM   #23
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehman View Post
Whenever I buy on from a person unknown I meet them at a watch smith and he pulls the back cover off it. If they won`t agree to that I do not buy the watch. I cover the cost at the watch smith, works well for me

Mike
I believe this is the best an most reasonable way to determine what is in the case since the movement is the heart of the Rolex you can see if the movement is trashed or worse fake. If you do not have time to do this step you are in for a big wake up call. Mind you I am talking about people like me who are not experienced buyers of high end watches.

Good post Mike.
Old 26 December 2009, 04:46 PM   #24
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
I don't think an ETA movement would go in a genuine rolex case...and this is how you can spot a fake without opening the caseback...the stem in the eta would be in a different position, and so the crown on the fake will always give it away...

look at it from the side..the fake crown will always sit lower on the case.
100% correct... eta always sit lower (more posterior) than a Rolex movement. Take a look at some fakes and it becomes very clear.

.... BUT I still recommend examining the movement with your own eyes once you become familiar with Rolex movements.
Old 2 January 2010, 07:11 AM   #25
NathanielA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Glashutte
[QUOTE=rkammer;1393275]Perhaps we should clarify this a bit. The hands can be moved in either direction with both the Rolex and the fake. The difference is that with the genuine Rolex, the hands will advance time with clockwise rotation of the crown. With the fake, the hands will retard time with clockwise rotation of the crown.

I'm just a new guy here so what do I know... other than after reading this thread I had to go in, quickly, and check out my 116520 Daytona and make sure it rotated clockwise with a clockwise rotation of the crown.

Interestingly all my other watches, ETA movements and my Glashutte all seem to rotate opposite to Rolex's.

Now I can sleep peacefully tonight. :)
Old 2 January 2010, 08:18 AM   #26
Nicko
Banned

When I put my Sub up to me ear I hear a chiming sound, almost like a bing bing, it's not always exactly the same, I have done this many times. I believe I can identify a fake movement now by just listening to it.
Old 3 January 2010, 12:54 AM   #27
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigefaizal View Post
I wearing DateJust, What I realize 2 hours before midnight, the date started to flip but not completed, flip to half way (date slowly rotate) , 4 minutes to midnight, the date completely/totally flip.
The date on a Rolex should change "In the blink of an eye". It could be the spring in the datechange system or a worn out date wheel. Sure it isn't normal.

Reaction on the thread :

Have the caseback opened, bracelet removed and check it with a loupe, don't forget the dial. Also check the bracelet ref and endlinks.
Frankenwatches can be spot on, don't have yourself fooled.

Jack
Old 3 January 2010, 03:00 AM   #28
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Save all the bother and buy new from an AD.
Old 4 January 2010, 03:11 AM   #29
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Whenever I listen to a Rolex movement, it's a metallic "pinging". I love that sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
When I put my Sub up to me ear I hear a chiming sound, almost like a bing bing, it's not always exactly the same, I have done this many times. I believe I can identify a fake movement now by just listening to it.
Old 4 January 2010, 03:22 AM   #30
rkammer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16570 View Post
Save all the bother and buy new from an AD.
It's no bother at all when several thousand dollars can be saved.
Closed Thread