The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 September 2011, 08:49 AM   #61
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one sharing such an opinion here. I just happened to be the one who called him on it. He's posting designs copying Rolex IP on a forum discussing legit Rolex watches.

If you do an overlay of the 'Parnis' design over a regular GMT, it's pretty close to being a cookie-cutter copy. Ripping off a design within that level of accuracy and then removing the original designers name from the label does not equal a "homage".

If I were to purchase a Chinese iMac that was 98% correct design-wise (especially for the most outwardly recognisable parts) with an Aluminum case, but didn't have the Apple logo, it's still a counterfeit. I'm not sure why people will attempt to justify the issue with watches and give these Chinese manufacturers a free pass.

You can bet that Rolex SA considers Parnis to be a bit more than a "homage" to their work. Perhaps we could ask them for their official stance?

If it's a case of not having a budget for a Rolex, there's plenty of great vintage options in lower price brackets. There's also brands like Marathon, etc.
With all due respect I believe nowadays every company gets some things and "design patterns" from other companies. Haven't you ever heard somebody saying "well that Mercedes looks just like that new car Honda designed" or seen ESP guitars with the shape of a Gibson Les Paul or a Gibson SG? If I may (of course I wouldn't like to insult anybody who owns one of those brands) I've even see some Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin and Jaeger Lecoultre watches that had almost if not the exact same design.

This being said, I'd probably get myself a "lower budget" watch and go with a nice black and gold face Casio G-Shock!
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 09:14 AM   #62
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one sharing such an opinion here. I just happened to be the one who called him on it. He's posting designs copying Rolex IP on a forum discussing legit Rolex watches.

If you do an overlay of the 'Parnis' design over a regular GMT, it's pretty close to being a cookie-cutter copy. Ripping off a design within that level of accuracy and then removing the original designers name from the label does not equal a "homage".

If I were to purchase a Chinese iMac that was 98% correct design-wise (especially for the most outwardly recognisable parts) with an Aluminum case, but didn't have the Apple logo, it's still a counterfeit. I'm not sure why people will attempt to justify the issue with watches and give these Chinese manufacturers a free pass.

You can bet that Rolex SA considers Parnis to be a bit more than a "homage" to their work. Perhaps we could ask them for their official stance?

If it's a case of not having a budget for a Rolex, there's plenty of great vintage options in lower price brackets. There's also brands like Marathon, etc.
You're free to express your opinion, right or wrong about his Parnis photo. However, the rude comment about another members watch (Invicta) was what drew the attention of our Welsh friend, and probably several others. He didn't ask your opinion on his Invicta, and it's very poor form to disparage another members choice of watch. If you don't like it, take the high road and don't post.
PS If Rolex had a case for theft of IP or a trademark violation, they would not hesitate a second to pursue it. That watch is not fake, counterfeit or in violation of Rolex registered trademarks. It's also BLACK, which screams "I'm not a Rolex" at the top of it's lungs. Rolex would probably have a better case going after the nutters that PVD real Rolexes, change a hand, and add a line of text to the dial, and mark them up $5k.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 09:16 AM   #63
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Quote:

I'm just trying to get a watch that resembles the GMT Master with the same features (rotable 24 hour bezel). I like the Grand Seiko GMT but, I don't have the money. I'm sure if Rolex had a huge problem with Parnis, they'd do something.
Old 20 September 2011, 09:20 AM   #64
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

I'm always on the lookout for this (at the right price):

My first move would be to stealth it with a black dial.

十人十色
Old 20 September 2011, 09:21 AM   #65
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
pam210...first deviation from rolex, since omega which i gave away after purchasing my first rolex.

and it will arrive tomorrow:-)

looking forward to such a drastic alternative to the sub.
been checking out those panerai for a while, did a complete 180 with my taste....

thought the 1950 at first, then the radiomir drew me in with that sandwich dial.
Old 20 September 2011, 09:32 AM   #66
Trev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 2599.80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
PS If Rolex had a case for theft of IP or a trademark violation, they would not hesitate a second to pursue it. That watch is not fake, counterfeit or in violation of Rolex registered trademarks. It's also BLACK, which screams "I'm not a Rolex" at the top of it's lungs. Rolex would probably have a better case going after the nutters that PVD real Rolexes, change a hand, and add a line of text to the dial, and mark them up $5k.
They do have a case, and likely have a hard time enforcing their patents because companies like Parnis aren't US-based. They're pumping out various "homage" designs from Chinese factories (likely the same ones producing Rolex-branded fakes).

You say homage, I say fake. Let's settle this in the most straight forward way possible.

Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 09:38 AM   #67
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
I'm just trying to get a watch that resembles the GMT Master with the same features (rotable 24 hour bezel). I like the Grand Seiko GMT but, I don't have the money. I'm sure if Rolex had a huge problem with Parnis, they'd do something.
Have you had a look at Alpha watches
Old 20 September 2011, 09:47 AM   #68
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They do have a case, and likely have a hard time enforcing their patents because companies like Parnis aren't US-based. They're pumping out various "homage" designs from Chinese factories (likely the same ones producing Rolex-branded fakes).

You say homage, I say fake. Let's settle this in the most straight forward way possible.

The only thing that I see on that watch that MIGHT be a Rolex TM is the specific green GMT hand. Though I think, like all it's other features (bracelet, bezel design, Mercedes hands, etc) it's ubiquitous.

十人十色
Old 20 September 2011, 10:19 AM   #69
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing is to be gained from having this conversation.

Rolex is a big company and able to fight their own battles.
Similarly TRF has Moderators to determine and if necessary, deal with any discussion of fake watches
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 11:01 AM   #70
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
Thanks Brian!! I've always like the PVD GMT Homage, but I wasn't sure if the forum was alright with it. I didn't want to get it and the forum be like "It's a fake" my perspective of a fake it "Rolex" printed on the dial.
Something worth a look is the Seiko Navigator GMT, its a very cool vintage Seiko that has an inner rotatable 24H bezel and a 24H hand, giving the GMT functionality but with a distinctly unique look and style.

http://thewatchspotblog.com/?p=219
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 11:13 AM   #71
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Alpha's are nice too, but I've heard better reviews about the Parnis than them. What's everyone's opinion of Alpha's?
drockadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 11:26 AM   #72
ft laud mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Omega SM300 WatchCo on Omega heavy mesh bracelet:

never seen that bracelet, very nice
For me:
I would like to get a ss daytona...
but 1st there is work to be done on the house, then a new car...
Then..the ss daytona
ft laud mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 03:16 PM   #73
BlackLight
"TRF" Member

Icon7

One of the 3 below:
(not my pictures, since I do not own the watches yet)

BlackLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 03:29 PM   #74
blackmsport
Banned

that Seiko is very nice
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 04:26 PM   #75
BlackLight
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Yes, it has the smoothest seconds hand.
But it also has 2 bolt-heads visible, something I strongly dislike.
So,
BlackLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 04:46 PM   #76
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLight View Post
Yes, it has the smoothest seconds hand.
But it also has 2 bolt-heads visible, something I strongly dislike.
So,

If you're treading in DSSD territory and want a seiko then get the GS SBGA031 and be done with it. Friend has one and it's unreal... like meticulous aliens came down from the skies and built them.

Attention to detail on the MM300 and above (GS) is equally on par with any Rolex I have ever owned, I would venture to say in it's own class as to not take away from Rolex. I crave a GS SBGA031 or SBGE001 like a fat kid craves cake. +/- 15sec a month... a MONTH

OR get the MM300 which is a phenomenal piece with a fantastic racheting bracelet without screws. Not exactly GS despite the movement, but the same aliens built the watch as the finish is on par with Rolex. The most accurate watch I own. You'll have enough money to get 80% of the Rolexs out there after getting one.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 05:22 PM   #77
Antoine B

Watch: DJ 16234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
This picture is borrowed from the internet, but this is the watch I want next.
Would you prefer the 14060 (3000) or the 1460M (3130 no COSC) ?
Antoine B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 09:35 PM   #78
leverd018
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Well, I want the DSSD. I have to do a little financial arranging, but in the near future, it will be mine - all mine!
leverd018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 12:39 AM   #79
ag62000

daytona!!!!
ag62000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 08:28 AM   #80
warren G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 3861
This.

I'm graduating in couple years. So I'm looking at the following watch as a gift to myself. All in order of preferences...

JLC Reverso Grande Date

Girad-Perregaux 49460

Grand Seiko SBGR061

GO Senator Sixties

A.Lange & Sohne 101.032 (my obtainable grail)

Old 21 September 2011, 08:39 AM   #81
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
AP Shaq because I got it at much cheaper price today ...

and Hublot King Power Manchester united limited edition , put down payment , because I love MU too much :((

Richard Mille RM 011 still dreaming about it .. its getting out of my reach because of these 2 watches :(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP.shaq.jpg (98.1 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg hublot.mu.jpg (207.7 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg rm.011.jpg (183.3 KB, 319 views)
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 07:48 PM   #82
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
The only thing that I see on that watch that MIGHT be a Rolex TM is the specific green GMT hand. Though I think, like all it's other features (bracelet, bezel design, Mercedes hands, etc) it's ubiquitous.
no company can trademark colors. they didnt put the word rolex because that is the clear sign of faking it.

i think its more of a homage.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 07:49 PM   #83
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
my next one would be a zenith el primero
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 07:59 PM   #84
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
no company can trademark colors. they didnt put the word rolex because that is the clear sign of faking it.

i think its more of a homage.
I understand what you mean, the thing that bothers me though is the number of homage pieces that are this close that have appeared since eBay and others tightening their stance on counterfeiting in the mid 2000s. The Invicta has more than a few key differences to the Submariner or GMT but with this particular model, even the clasp folding mechanism has been copied in precise detail, which makes me wonder, if they were just trying to get the feel, or style of the the GMT for homage reasons, why would they be duplicating something that can't be seen at all so perfectly.

The thought that constantly pops up in the back of my mind when seeing these is that they are probably rolling off the same production lines in China as the fakes with Rolex written on the dial, with the homage versions simply giving the same outfits that are responsible for counterfeiting a grey-area legal way of selling more volume of their product through retail channels.

The only clear differences with this are the PVD coat and the lack of Rolex printing on the dial, given the cost of manufacturing, and the fact that there are already very accurate copies in production in the same geographic location, is it more likely that the homages are made as a completely stand-alone product, or is it more likely that they are produced by the same companies producing the counterfeits, but differentiated just subtly enough to justify the "homage" designation and be saleable through legitimate channels.

Its the thought that people could be buying homage pieces to specifically avoid fakes, and the money ending up in the same hands anyway that really bothers me.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2011, 02:24 AM   #85
DOUGHN
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP.Rolex.Pam.Tudor
Dssd

ap rg

pam 386
DOUGHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2011, 03:30 AM   #86
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Panerai 372

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2011, 04:00 AM   #87
mldaytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go all out
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren G. View Post

mldaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2011, 04:30 AM   #88
mldaytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go all out
I'm eyeing this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z.jpg (67.8 KB, 281 views)
mldaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2011, 04:32 AM   #89
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by h999r View Post
AP Shaq because I got it at much cheaper price today ...

and Hublot King Power Manchester united limited edition , put down payment , because I love MU too much :((

Richard Mille RM 011 still dreaming about it .. its getting out of my reach because of these 2 watches :(
Skip the other two go straight for the Jackpot

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2011, 04:34 AM   #90
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post

Yes I know, apples oranges. Still, these are the ones I'm looking into. Pics off the internet.
Gissa vilken jag skulle välja

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote