The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Do you yearn/aspire to own higher end brands (Patek, RM, Lange, AP, etc)?
I own Rolex, and yearn/aspire to own pieces higher end than Rolex. 146 29.49%
I own Rolex, but could not care less for the higher end brands. 178 35.96%
I own both Rolex and higher end brands. 163 32.93%
I own neither Rolex nor the higher end brands. 8 1.62%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 September 2018, 12:51 AM   #121
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I can’t help but feel that whatever feelings an individual may have, it comes from the wallet talking rather than what the heart may desire.

And it’s pretty funny to see people comment and go well Rolex is best in this, this and this and I have zero desire to own other brands while other individuals say brands like Patek are king in this, this and this...

If money was no object, I think the everyone’s portfolio or collection would be pretty balance. I just see a bunch of guys justifying purchases lol

It’s like a Seiko guy go saying I don’t every need anything more than a Seiko....

I keep my collection balanced so I get a taste of everything. Rolex, AP, Omega, etc. It’s blasphemy to say it on a Rolex forum, but it’s really boring to own only Rolex watches imo.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 12:53 AM   #122
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Die hard Rolex guy, so no desire to own "higher" end watches. i prefer Rolex styling over all others, plus the utility. They are built like tanks and are so easy to wear. Do I admire other watches? Sure I am a WIS. Love ALS and PP dress watches, but have no use for one. Just do not attend formal affairs or have a need for a PM watch on a strap. Does not mean I cannot afford one, or that I do not like them, just do not want one. I would buy more Rolex instead!

The statement about secretly not being able to afford it comes off odd and somewhat insulting. Most could easily consolidate a few Rolex and afford just about anything they want. Or just buy them. There are some serious collectors on this forum. More a matter of preference I would think.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 12:57 AM   #123
Yodel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
Rolex is my only interest when it comes to watches. I don’t long for AP or Patek. (Or any other brand for that matter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This. I think I am only interested in rolex because of what they stand for, their robustness and also (unlike any other watch brand in my opinion), they have numerous beautiful looking models as opposed to just one or two.
Yodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 01:01 AM   #124
Dmsizzle
"TRF" Member

As someone relatively new to the higher end watch spectrum, I am somewhat between option 1 and two.

There are a couple dressy watches out there I would potentially be interested in, but more along the lines of a JLC than a super high end Patek or AP etc.

In terms of tool, stainless steel watches... Nothing comes close to the Rolex and I wouldn't be remotely interested in another brand.
Dmsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 01:05 AM   #125
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
100% loyal to the Crown.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 01:07 AM   #126
R G
Banned

Do Rolex owners (secretly) yearn to own higher end brands: Patek, RM, Lange, AP, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
100% loyal to the Crown.

Haha yeah that’s really cheesy...
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 01:07 AM   #127
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwithme View Post
100% health is the most important thing we all have.

Having said that... is it so bad to want to keep my Heath AND own a Perpetual calendar too!

Opinions opinions / nice thread OP, enjoyed it.

Cheers,
J
No , I don’t think aspiring is wrong or a sin ...
If one can permit and has the funds and desire then
go for it ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 01:12 AM   #128
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

I enjoy other brands and appreciate their craftsmanship but at the end of the day I'm very happy with the overall presentation and build of a Rolex. They might not be the pinnacle of watch collecting but I'm happy and pleased with mine and that's what matters most IMO.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 01:13 AM   #129
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

I consider Rolex Haute Horology for the real world. Mechanical, accurate and tough. And not just for very wealthy people (depending on the model of course).

I do aspire to own “more higher” brands in the future and a loupe so I can drown myself in the world behind the display caseback! Probably AP or Patek.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 01:35 AM   #130
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Not me. I thought I wanted an AP or Patek, but after seeing them in person, they did nothing for me. They aren’t as robust as Rolex IMO. Rolex just checks all the boxes for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 01:40 AM   #131
scurfa
"TRF" Member

After collecting vintage Rolex and Tudor watches for years I got the Patek itch, sold off a few pieces to buy a nautilus and was let down by the whole experience, I’m back onto Rolex but as vintage pieces are hard to come by have been ordering new models, cannot wait for the new GMT.
scurfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 01:52 AM   #132
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I keep looking at the upper tier brands but so far nothing has really caught my eye so I answered 2 above.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 02:08 AM   #133
peterlicht1
"TRF" Member

I think it's simply an evolutional process to look for brands like AP or PP after years of collecting products from RSA.

I'm a serious watch guy, but some years ago, I started to develop my collection more towards Patek.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my sporties and I won't trade in any of my Daytonas or other watches, but wearing a Patek is something else: It feels simply slimmer, more fragile, more elegant.

For me, Rolex and Patek is like Porsche and Ferrari: I love both brands but only with a Rolex you can be sure that your watch will survive and join you in all life situations.
peterlicht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 02:09 AM   #134
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I have a nice newer German car but I'd like several really nice and really expensive Italian cars. I have a nice home on a few acres in the midwest but I'd like a giant mansion on the Pacific coast. I have a Rolex but honestly know next to nothing about higher end stuff and haven't thought about going up the scale. It's not that I think Rolex is the greatest, but they are about level with my interest in watches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 02:39 AM   #135
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I prefer ROT! Rolex, Omega & Tudor.
Old 15 September 2018, 02:48 AM   #136
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Had a few Rolexes in the past, now I just own PP and AP. I'd consider buying Rolex again - they are great watches and I think reasonably priced for the level of quality. To me the downside of a Rolex is the recognizability. If I wear a Rolex while traveling, tons of people will notice. But no one notices my PP.
Old 15 September 2018, 02:53 AM   #137
R!$
Banned

Rolex is not the best but it is certainly good
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 02:58 AM   #138
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Rolex, really don't care about the others at all with the imho outdated Genta 70's look.

Still interested in a Perpetual but than it would be the IWC Portuguese

I do consider buying a Grand Seiko for their immaculate hands and indices. Never seen any brand outperforming Seiko on this.
Old 15 September 2018, 03:00 AM   #139
affalterbach
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SUN065P1
Been there, done that and always go back to Rolex. Other brands may have more complicated movements but IMO Rolex is the pinnacle of the watch industry in terms of quality, value, durability and materials.
affalterbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:06 AM   #140
2geeze
Banned

Not an AP fan, and RM just looks ridiculous to my eye. Wouldn't mind a Lange Datograph, and there are one or two PP I wouldn't mind having. But everything on my "purchase on sight" list is Rolex.
2geeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:07 AM   #141
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
100% loyal to the Crown.™®
fixed it... infiltrated by the marketing machine
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:07 AM   #142
Chope Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue dial 16618
I have no complex with regards to other brands.

Just some envy, of a Royal Oak chronograph in YG with band of the same metal, or of a Jaeger Lecoultre reverso in YG or RG on leather strap (preferably light brown Ostrich). Or both...
As a complement to my beloved Rolex and Tudor.
Chope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:10 AM   #143
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I guess it’s OK to stick with the flavor you like but I like tasting them all.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:15 AM   #144
Flyoverguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I guess it’s OK to stick with the flavor you like but I like tasting them all.

Hear Hear!
Flyoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:26 AM   #145
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlicht1 View Post
I think it's simply an evolutional process to look for brands like AP or PP after years of collecting products from RSA.

I'm a serious watch guy, but some years ago, I started to develop my collection more towards Patek.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my sporties and I won't trade in any of my Daytonas or other watches, but wearing a Patek is something else: It feels simply slimmer, more fragile, more elegant.

For me, Rolex and Patek is like Porsche and Ferrari: I love both brands but only with a Rolex you can be sure that your watch will survive and join you in all life situations.
So nice said
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:37 AM   #146
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I can’t help but feel that whatever feelings an individual may have, it comes from the wallet talking rather than what the heart may desire.

And it’s pretty funny to see people comment and go well Rolex is best in this, this and this and I have zero desire to own other brands while other individuals say brands like Patek are king in this, this and this...

If money was no object, I think the everyone’s portfolio or collection would be pretty balance. I just see a bunch of guys justifying purchases lol

It’s like a Seiko guy go saying I don’t every need anything more than a Seiko....
I think it's true for a great number of people, but not everyone. For me, I seem to be moving "lower" down the hierarchy. Not because I can't afford "higher", my tastes are just not with the styling of the "higher" brands. I really don't like spending money, especially on things I don't really like.
....and for the record, I don't think Rolex is the best.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:44 AM   #147
R!$
Banned

Icon7

Not all Rolex owners but certainly horology connoisseurs
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 05:31 AM   #148
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Just watch it with the provocative and divisive language which is your usual modus operandi here and it is getting very very tiresome.

This whole thread was a McGuffin, a fake device, just designed to set members against each other.
Wow. Where did THAT come from?
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 05:41 AM   #149
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
The aesthetic of a Submariner appealed to me at a very young age seeing the advertisements in Skin Diver magazine and National Geographic. A Sub was my first Rolex. My collection now includes 6. I peruse other brands including PP and AP because I like looking at watches and reading about their features but nothing else has screamed buy me.
Like Mystro, I don’t believe the price point is the big hurdle. If you can afford a $15K or $20K watch, I imagine you can afford a $35K watch.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 05:43 AM   #150
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Why "secretly" ? Rolex is a manufacturer, as are many others....
Though some feel less powerful with a more "unknown" brand on their wrist - as we all know.