The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 December 2019, 02:23 AM   #61
Agustin_Nielsen
"TRF" Member

I went to visit AP House London a few weeks ago and to be honest, I prefer the one in Madrid.

The main reason for this is that due to the "watch crime epidemic" going on in London, AP House London will continue to be appointment only, which makes going there more of a formality. Having said this, it is of course nothing AP can do about this, except hope that things calm down to the point they can have walk-ins without having to worry about security.

Besides that, amazing experience overall, very welcoming staff, superb design etc. What I found very cool is that they actually had a 15202ST & 15500ST in all colours to showcase (not for sale).
Agustin_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2019, 06:44 AM   #62
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin_Nielsen View Post
I went to visit AP House London a few weeks ago and to be honest, I prefer the one in Madrid.

The main reason for this is that due to the "watch crime epidemic" going on in London, AP House London will continue to be appointment only, which makes going there more of a formality. Having said this, it is of course nothing AP can do about this, except hope that things calm down to the point they can have walk-ins without having to worry about security.

Besides that, amazing experience overall, very welcoming staff, superb design etc. What I found very cool is that they actually had a 15202ST & 15500ST in all colours to showcase (not for sale).
The old AP house or Service Centre was appointment only as well so not related to the more recent rise in watch crimes, I think it is more to do with exclusivity than anything else, it is not to be open to any passing John, one must have a certain level of interest.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 07:18 PM   #63
GS93108
"TRF" Member

This is a repeat of a post I made in another thread, but wanted to post it here as it is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Just visited the AP Boutique in Sloane Street, wow. The boutique is nicely done, but the thing that blew me away was the people. Fantastic service, with a smile, no arrogance, genuinely nice and (critically) knowledgable people that were a genuine pleasure to spend time talking to.

I won’t be buying AP from anywhere else, they’ve got me! In fact, so impressed was I by the service, my brand loyalty may now be all AP!

Whilst I was there, I had a look at the 11:59 and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Really looks so much better than pictures suggest, and the side profile particularly is spectacular. It also wears a bit smaller than the 41mm suggests. Pictures really don’t do this watch justice, and for anyone being critical of it, I’d be interested in your thoughts after seeing it in person. Not sure I’m quite smitten enough to buy as I’m a Sports watch guy, but if I decide to go down a different path, I could really be tempted, especially by the PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's really great to hear.

I myself met up with a couple of forum members at AP House London today and was, as always, impressed and grateful for the time that was allocated to us. I second the comments above, it is the people that matter and AP have a knack of getting the right ones.

Again thought, to repeat what I've stated in other posts, it certainly pays to make an appointment as the place was busy busy busy, and that in and of itself is part of the lovely atmosphere.

AP House London can only go from strength to strength and next time I'm up there for a visit I'm going to drop in at Sloane St, just to have a look.

Thanks to AP House London, just in case they read this.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 07:30 PM   #64
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
This is a repeat of a post I made in another thread, but wanted to post it here as it is appropriate.

That's really great to hear.

I myself met up with a couple of forum members at AP House London today and was, as always, impressed and grateful for the time that was allocated to us. I second the comments above, it is the people that matter and AP have a knack of getting the right ones.

Again thought, to repeat what I've stated in other posts, it certainly pays to make an appointment as the place was busy busy busy, and that in and of itself is part of the lovely atmosphere.

AP House London can only go from strength to strength and next time I'm up there for a visit I'm going to drop in at Sloane St, just to have a look.

Thanks to AP House London, just in case they read this.

It was a cool place, extremely hospitable even down to the whisky on tap.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 07:43 PM   #65
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Very nice. Curious to know will they also welcome foreign AP owners who are not buying from London boutique? Ie, just casual browsing? Or it's more for locals?
Old 29 January 2020, 07:49 PM   #66
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Very nice. Curious to know will they also welcome foreign AP owners who are not buying from London boutique? Ie, just casual browsing? Or it's more for locals?

Ben you would be welcomed with open arms I’m sure.

Old 29 January 2020, 07:52 PM   #67
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For sure they'll welcome you. Just make an appointment first.

The, as yet unpublicised, remit of AP House locations is that they are a home from home for AP owners, so if you travel to a new location that has an AP House then give them a call, make an appointment and go and experience 'their' unique take on the concept. As I understand it each location follows the same general design, but each is uniquely different with a USP of it's own.

I'm certainly intending to visit other AP House locations when I'm in those cities.
Old 29 January 2020, 08:11 PM   #68
Lenny1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t View Post
Hmm, they even don’t bother to answer the email. My money will go to Lange.
Yep, that sounds wise. Buy the watch you don’t want simply because they haven’t replied to your email.
Lenny1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 11:24 AM   #69
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Presumably given the crime epidemic and targeted watch muggings in London reported widely, one should not wear expensive APs when visiting London? I will be there next month and am reluctant to wear Grand Comps etc if I am likely to be targeted emerging from expensive shops? Of course I am super vigilant and don’t exactly hang out in dodgy parts of town but I am highly concerned about wearing very valuable pieces nowadays.
Old 30 January 2020, 12:10 PM   #70
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Ben you would be welcomed with open arms I’m sure.

Quote:
For sure they'll welcome you. Just make an appointment first.

The, as yet unpublicised, remit of AP House locations is that they are a home from home for AP owners, so if you travel to a new location that has an AP House then give them a call, make an appointment and go and experience 'their' unique take on the concept. As I understand it each location follows the same general design, but each is uniquely different with a USP of it's own.

I'm certainly intending to visit other AP House locations when I'm in those cities.
Good to hear. Thanks!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Presumably given the crime epidemic and targeted watch muggings in London reported widely, one should not wear expensive APs when visiting London? I will be there next month and am reluctant to wear Grand Comps etc if I am likely to be targeted emerging from expensive shops? Of course I am super vigilant and don’t exactly hang out in dodgy parts of town but I am highly concerned about wearing very valuable pieces nowadays.
I wont too if I were you to wear a half million bucks AP out in the open. The way they work now from what I heard from the news is that they will have people act as spies roaming around luxury shopping area and if they spot a nice watch ( like AP, PP, Rolex ), the thugs on motorbike will approach the target and try to snatch the watch and run away. If want to wear an AP, something low profile that can slip under a shirt carf will be better.
Old 30 January 2020, 09:02 PM   #71
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wont too if I were you to wear a half million bucks AP out in the open. The way they work now from what I heard from the news is that they will have people act as spies roaming around luxury shopping area and if they spot a nice watch ( like AP, PP, Rolex ), the thugs on motorbike will approach the target and try to snatch the watch and run away. If want to wear an AP, something low profile that can slip under a shirt carf will be better.
Very sad but why take the risk. We remain very fortunate in Asia.
Old 30 January 2020, 09:14 PM   #72
AshAP
"TRF" Member

This is where the AP camoflage range is advisable. Can’t steal what you can’t see.

Old 30 January 2020, 09:20 PM   #73
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is where the AP camoflage range is advisable. Can’t steal what you can’t see.

Hahahahaha!

Ash can I drag you down to London for a drink or two in March? PM me if you can be persuaded! Strength in numbers to beat off the criminals!
Old 31 January 2020, 03:15 AM   #74
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is sad and I hope that there's a task force to combat such.

Just wear something insignificant, like a Patek for instance.
Old 31 January 2020, 03:45 AM   #75
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This thread has me very eager to visit one of the AP houses. Is there a list of all currently operating?
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 06:34 AM   #76
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I don't think there is any risk if you are just walking about in a normal manner but if you are popping into watch stores then it is probably best not to wear something that will make you a target for AD watchers. I am buying a Cartier next week as a gift and am going to be very careful on how I exit the AD, may even take a plain bag so it does not look like I have made a purchase there.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 06:48 AM   #77
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't think there is any risk if you are just walking about in a normal manner but if you are popping into watch stores then it is probably best not to wear something that will make you a target for AD watchers. I am buying a Cartier next week as a gift and am going to be very careful on how I exit the AD, may even take a plain bag so it does not look like I have made a purchase there.

My preferred method of exiting an AD is with a commando roll and then straight into a Weaver stance. This way anyone casing the AD will realise that I’m not to be messed with.....at least that’s what I tell myself.

Old 1 February 2020, 02:53 AM   #78
APforlife
"TRF" Member

No pics? :(
APforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:05 PM   #79
knorz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 145.012
There is New AP house that opened in Barcelona on monday. I swang by and it is HUGE !
It´s in Paseo de Gracia near Casa Battlo
knorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:19 AM   #80
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorz View Post
There is New AP house that opened in Barcelona on monday. I swang by and it is HUGE !
It´s in Paseo de Gracia near Casa Battlo
I was speaking with the CEO of Spain about their new AP house and he seemed very proud of it. It certainly will be a must visit next time I'm there. The whole second floor of the building, if I recall. Nice that AP are putting these locations together.
Old 20 February 2020, 06:51 AM   #81
knorz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 145.012
Quote:
I was speaking with the CEO of Spain about their new AP house and he seemed very proud of it. It certainly will be a must visit next time I'm there. The whole second floor of the building, if I recall. Nice that AP are putting these locations together.
Yes it's the whole second floor of an historical building. Impressive high ceilings. Seems bigger than 10k sqf. If I can swing by again before heading home I'll try to shoot some pics.
knorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 12:21 AM   #82
man.philipp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to count!
Quote:
I would be careful.

It is not only about being vigilant on the streets, but also in bars and restaurants.

I have heard from many people in the hospitality business that thieves are paying waiters and waitresses in certain high end venues to keep a look out for certain pieces.

Stay safe!
man.philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 03:36 AM   #83
robertengel
"TRF" Member

I visited them a few weeks ago and it was great. I have to say they were very kind, not pushy and we had a generally pleasant time discussing watches. I would personally gladly buy from them provided they give me an allocation :D

The location is nice I like the little office and bar. Its a luxury experience because nobody hassles you, there are not 15 people walking up behind you trying to look at the same piece and they actually have stock (even if it's not for sale), the sales associates' attention doesn't wander to the next person. You will easily spend an hour there even if you are not there to look at crazy pieces.

I could finally try on a 15202st and in all honesty, while it is the perfect AP on paper it underwhelmed me a little in person, it is still brilliant don't take it the wrong way if you own one. But it did not sing to me at all. The blue perpetual calendar that someone else posted I had tried on too...and that's a killer watch which I never thought I would desire.

Anyway, make an appointment and have fun!
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 05:11 AM   #84
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertengel View Post
I visited them a few weeks ago and it was great. I have to say they were very kind, not pushy and we had a generally pleasant time discussing watches. I would personally gladly buy from them provided they give me an allocation :D

The location is nice I like the little office and bar. Its a luxury experience because nobody hassles you, there are not 15 people walking up behind you trying to look at the same piece and they actually have stock (even if it's not for sale), the sales associates' attention doesn't wander to the next person. You will easily spend an hour there even if you are not there to look at crazy pieces.

I could finally try on a 15202st and in all honesty, while it is the perfect AP on paper it underwhelmed me a little in person, it is still brilliant don't take it the wrong way if you own one. But it did not sing to me at all. The blue perpetual calendar that someone else posted I had tried on too...and that's a killer watch which I never thought I would desire.

Anyway, make an appointment and have fun!

Unfortunately I didn't make it to the AP House on my last London trip as I came down with a bug, but hearing everybody's experience makes me definitely keen to visit soon!

And, I agree with you...The blue stainless perpetual is my current grail. It's gorgeous!
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:38 AM   #85
GS93108
"TRF" Member

More AP House London hospitality and a watch I’m not likely to see again.

Old 27 February 2020, 05:44 PM   #86
AshAP
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=GS93108;10409289]More AP House London hospitality and a watch I’m not likely to see again.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200226/ee0b18f512d34bec6dbab566f0fa2e2b.jpg

Gary your watch looks amazing on the red strap.

Old 27 February 2020, 06:03 PM   #87
GS93108
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=AshAP;10411435]
Quote:
More AP House London hospitality and a watch I’m not likely to see again.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200226/ee0b18f512d34bec6dbab566f0fa2e2b.jpg

Gary your watch looks amazing on the red strap.

Thanks Ashley. First time on all red, you are of course the trendsetter when it comes to straps.

Just a flying visit to AP as my wife had to collect something from a different store, but it's so nice to have AP House to use a home base whilst in London.

p.s. Chris dropped in too, so your ears would have been burning and you were missed.

A proper summer get together might be worth consideration, open to all here.
Old 27 February 2020, 06:11 PM   #88
AshAP
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=GS93108;10411455]
Quote:

Thanks Ashley. First time on all red, you are of course the trendsetter when it comes to straps.

Just a flying visit to AP as my wife had to collect something from a different store, but it's so nice to have AP House to use a home base whilst in London.

p.s. Chris dropped in too, so your ears would have been burning and you were missed.

A proper summer get together might be worth consideration, open to all here.

A summer gtg would be great, July would be no good for me though.

Old 27 February 2020, 07:59 PM   #89
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I'd definitely be up for a London gtg, obviously hopefully involving AP house too.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 08:11 PM   #90
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I'd definitely be up for a London gtg, obviously hopefully involving AP house too.
For sure it should be at AP House and I'm equally sure that they'd be more than happy to entertain us. If we do it then I'm sure that they can arrange to get some special pieces in too.

I'll give it some thought and have a chat with AP and then put up a new topic to gauge interest. Else it might just be you, me and Ash with our buddy Billy...