The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 December 2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Grey Dealer Supplied Counterfeit Deployant

Hello all

I bought a full set, Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Date from a well known Grey Market watch dealer two months ago. The alligator strap was fairly worn so I decided to replace it. Upon unscrewing the buckle retaining pin of the deployant clasp, I noticed that the thread which secures the pin was worn so it would neither tighten or loosen. I managed to pull the pin out and could see that the thread was completely stripped.

I took the deploy clasp back to the Grey dealer and he accepted the fault and said his watchmaker would be able to repair it. I presumed this wasn’t repairable because that would involve re-threading the cylinder to which the retaining screw thread fits.

After numerous chase phone calls, the Grey dealer confirmed what I knew, he said the deployant clasp wasn’t repairable and that he would order a new one from Jaeger LeCoultre and would let me know when it arrived for collection.
Naturally, I felt I was being looked after and left the matter in their hands.

Eventually, I went to collect the deployant clasp and when I got it home, I noticed that the etched JLC logo on the buckle felt slightly rough. I examined it under a loupe and sure enough, the engraved logo is not of the same quality as my other Jaeger LeCoultre watch clasps. It’s also not positioned correctly.

How would you handle this situation?

1. Call the Grey dealer and present him with this discovery and let him waste more of my time by asking me to bring the watch in for him to see. He’ll likely take weeks to get me another clasp which may or may not be genuine.

2. Demand a refund.

3. Threaten to name and shame him on social media if he doesn’t refund me, seeing as he’s lost my trust.

4. Live with it because despite the clasp being a replica, it doesn’t take away from the beauty of the watch. (I’m unlikely to go this route)

The first picture picture is of the suspect clasp on the Reverso. The second picture is of the clasp on my Master Hometime.

The third picture is taken from Watch Club’s archive of a clasp from the same watch.

The fourth picture is a side be side comparison of the clasp on my Hometime v the suspect Reverso clasp.

Last edited by Vetracer; 16 December 2019 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Adding more information
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 10:32 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you are 100% he knowingly supplied you a fake deployant the 3 and 4 if necessary for sure.
Old 16 December 2019, 10:41 AM   #3
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Grey Dealer Supplied Counterfeit Deployant

First I’d go to JLC to confirm authenticity or fake, then go after the dealer with demand for explanation not just an excuse, obviously refund for what a new buckle cost and depending on circumstances name and shame.

JLC could have changed supplier so it looks slightly different etc.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 10:44 AM   #4
YoungMoneyAssassin
"TRF" Member

If you’re sure it’s fake, which based on what you’ve posted, I certainly would be of I were you, go in and DEMAND a refund. 3&4.

Who knows what else on the watch may be fake. This is your only sensible recourse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YoungMoneyAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 10:47 AM   #5
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe start by asking to see the invoice for the deployant to see where it was sourced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 10:54 AM   #6
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Looks ok to me .. I do suggest bring to JLC boutique or services centre for verification before you confront your grey dealer.

Btw I am quite shocked to learn one of your option is to accept the replica since it doesn’t take away the beauty of the watch ..
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 10:59 AM   #7
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Looks ok to me .. I do suggest bring to JLC boutique or services centre for verification before you confront your grey dealer.

Btw I am quite shocked to learn one of your option is to accept the replica since it doesn’t take away the beauty of the watch ..
I only added this option, playing devils advocate. I also said I’m unlikely to go this route but I know some would.

I suspect the JLC Boutique in London will not want to get involved unless I request a service. I’ll find out tomorrow.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 01:19 AM   #8
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
I only added this option, playing devils advocate. I also said I’m unlikely to go this route but I know some would.

I suspect the JLC Boutique in London will not want to get involved unless I request a service. I’ll find out tomorrow.
Good luck and I wish all works out your way.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 02:01 AM   #9
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Do not freak out just yet. JLC is a watchmakers watch that is also known for some quality issues. Something has been happening at the company and quite a few enthusiasts have reported issues with brand new watches. Alignment of elements and the overall quality of marksmanship varies; I can attest to that from a personal experience. Also, models vary too.

The best bet in situations like this is simple: go to an AD, find out the price of the replacement part, ask the dealer for the refund, buy the part.