The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2018, 11:28 AM   #121
scooter1307
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I lived in Bangkok for many years and lane splitting is something I did everyday. But than I can't believe that I lived through it.
scooter1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 02:52 PM   #122
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Like California does.

I hear people from other states say it is dangerous, despite them having absolutely no personal experience with it. Most of the rest of the world allows this practice and some studies have shown it is safer for motorcyclists to lane split instead of sitting in stop and go traffic like a car. I've also heard people in other states say it isn't fair and that it makes them angry when they see motorcyclists splitting traffic. To that I have just one response: BOO HOO!!! Get on a bike and enjoy the benefits then.

I drove to work yesterday and as I was sitting in a 1/4 mile long line of cars waiting to get through an intersection I saw a motorcyclist filtering between cars coming up behind me and I realized that there wasn't much of a gap between me and the car to my left so I crept up a bit and moved my car farther to the right so he could squeeze through. I noticed other people around me did the same. Why do some people get angry? It's really no skin of their back and it is just common courtesy really. Plus, a motorcycle lane splitting is one less car on the roads. Less cars equals less traffic.

Anyway, when/if you ever see it on the ballot in your state, vote to allow lane splitting. It makes sense.
California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

Source: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...lane_splitting
Old 20 June 2019, 02:33 AM   #123
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Splitting lanes at slow or stopped traffic should be mandatory.

Many motorcycles can not stay cool enough if sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

Many drivers ignore and jeopardize riders safety with their carelessness and callousness. Texting and phone calls and whatever else drivers do while driving exasperates the dangers. I will wager incidents and accidents from these behaviors are far more of a cocern than a motorcycle expediting the flow of traffic.

Much of the joy of riding is not getting stuck in ridiculous traffic for no reason and not searching for parking.

The average motorcycle rider has two hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road...can we say that about those who drive automobiles?

However, Lane splitting or weaving at normal or above highway speeds can be dangerous and is generally not necessary. I can’t/won’t defend it.

Ps. You know what’ I think is dangerous ? ... hitting a dear on a motorcycle doing 70+ mph...I tried that.

My 2¢
My thought exactly.

As a biker myself I agree lane splitting in stop n go traffic should be allowed. Doing so allows the bikes to get out of the way and potentially relieve the traffic.

At posted highway speed? Absolutely not.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 07:12 AM   #124
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Like California does.

I hear people from other states say it is dangerous, despite them having absolutely no personal experience with it. Most of the rest of the world allows this practice and some studies have shown it is safer for motorcyclists to lane split instead of sitting in stop and go traffic like a car. I've also heard people in other states say it isn't fair and that it makes them angry when they see motorcyclists splitting traffic. To that I have just one response: BOO HOO!!! Get on a bike and enjoy the benefits then.

I drove to work yesterday and as I was sitting in a 1/4 mile long line of cars waiting to get through an intersection I saw a motorcyclist filtering between cars coming up behind me and I realized that there wasn't much of a gap between me and the car to my left so I crept up a bit and moved my car farther to the right so he could squeeze through. I noticed other people around me did the same. Why do some people get angry? It's really no skin of their back and it is just common courtesy really. Plus, a motorcycle lane splitting is one less car on the roads. Less cars equals less traffic.

Anyway, when/if you ever see it on the ballot in your state, vote to allow lane splitting. It makes sense.
I don't ride, but I'm fine with lane splitters if they do it respectfully and carefully. When traffic is moving 10 mph and they are doing 50, that's not respectful or careful. If they are putting along at a reasonable speed (10 over the speed of traffic), I will do my best to give them as much space as I can. The a-holes who are buzzing by, flashing their high-beams, can deal with what they get.

Personally, I feel lane splitting should only be allowed between the number 1 and number 2 lanes, that way those who are in the faster lanes can be aware of it, and those in the slower lanes don't have to worry about it.

With all the distracted drivers I see, I would never ride a motorcycle on the streets or freeways.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 10:30 AM   #125
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
PRO:
Most bikes and riders are much happier when kept moving (heat). In stop and go traffic I support keeping the motorcycle moving and air flowing.

CON:
I really don't trust other drivers not to overreact to seeing/hearing a bike suddenly move past. "Loud pipes save lives" notwithstanding it can be startling when a bike suddenly appears roaring up at your rear window. Add to that all the self righteous yahoos who feel it's their duty to "police" their space on the highway and purposely move over and block lanes so that motorcycles can't pass. "Not on my watch" morons.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 04:31 PM   #126
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I do lane splitting in California and get a kick out of it, other states won't let you do lane splitting but let you ride without helmet. I rode motorcycle in Southeast Asia and it was crazy, everyone ride on side walks, wrong way,.., lane splitting.

When I rode my motorcycle across the USA, the thing that bothered me the most was the trucks was doing 75+mph (big wind blast), in CA the speed limit for the truck is 55mph
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote