The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 20 June 2019, 08:34 PM   #31
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT2BATMAN View Post
Reach down deep:
What will a mint Pepsi and SS Daytona w/ box and papers sell for in 10 years?
Will it outperform the S&P500?
The better question is what will your money be worth in ten years
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 08:35 PM   #32
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
I've been biting my tongue on a lot of these threads. I don't intend on sounding rude, but this is just getting ridiculous now.

FWIW, my money is on the S&P.
Completely agree, no longer a watch forum
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 20 June 2019, 08:48 PM   #33
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting question and I would believe that if purchased at mspr, the Daytona-C will hold or slightly increase in value over the next decade. If you paid twice retail in the gray market you will lose around 40-50% of the original price you paid. If you bought into the Stock market at the rate currently asked by the Grey Market you would have a problem. Just my thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 10:15 PM   #34
HappyFish
Banned

Only Mike Shiva knows it!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 10:18 PM   #35
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
I've been biting my tongue on a lot of these threads. I don't intend on sounding rude, but this is just getting ridiculous now.

travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 10:25 PM   #36
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
Are we talking MK I bezel Pepsi? If yes, then Yes!
I don't think MK I will be commanding crazy premiums 10 years down the line. My two cents is it will start being coveted 15 years down the line and then 5 more years down the line be extremely coveted. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 10:47 PM   #37
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT2BATMAN View Post
Reach down deep:
What will a mint Pepsi and SS Daytona w/ box and papers sell for in 10 years?
Will it outperform the S&P500?
Huh
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 10:59 PM   #38
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Yeah the General Discussion sub forum has been a dump lately filled with threads just like this. Maybe there should be an investment sticky thread lol.

Also noticing a lot of these threads are started by members who joined this year.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:00 PM   #39
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
If you want a great watch get a Rolex. If you want an investment, get some stock. I imagine for those here that view them as investments it may be tense times as everyone knows things are climbing to untenable levels and gray dealers are holding thousands if not hundreds of thousands in market value and will get slammed when the whole thing goes down in flames. When that happens myself and the other people that wear Rolex because they are great watches will go on just fine.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 12:07 AM   #40
cbalster
"TRF" Member

The future is hard to predict. 10 years ago everyone wanted a Panerai, Rolex fired their CEO after sales tanked, and the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation lost money investing with Bernie Madoff.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 12:24 AM   #41
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:

Agreed but it’s a fun way to diversify among asset classes. Many people have precious metals as a small part of their portfolio. This is no different.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 12:25 AM   #42
GMT2BATMAN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playford View Post
Luxury goods as a primary investment are a bad idea. Is this really should I buy Rolex's or put my cash into a good quality mutual fund?
Does the thread ask what you should invest in?
Do you think the S&P 500 is a mutual fund? Do you make up things in your head often?
The thread is simply referring to the hysteria over SS watches and the ridiculously high prices in the secondary market. It is interesting to think about the price increase of these luxury items relative to a stock index. I have never sold a watch or purchased a watch for an investment.
GMT2BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 12:32 AM   #43
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Agreed but it’s a fun way to diversify among asset classes. Many people have precious metals as a small part of their portfolio. This is no different.
I do not think you're buying an uncorrelated asset that is going to offer diversification benefits to a traditional portfolio of stocks and bonds. But it is fun to look at cars and watches that are bought right. With you there.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 12:39 AM   #44
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If this forum can ban politics, guns, replicas and whatever else.......please consider banning investment posts like these
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 12:46 AM   #45
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicurus View Post

If this forum can ban politics, guns, replicas and whatever else.......please consider banning investment posts like these
Old 21 June 2019, 12:47 AM   #46
GMT2BATMAN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Agreed.

I think its interesting comparing the growth relative to the economy or a stock Index. I wouldn’t go out and tell be to invest in watches and jewelry rather than an index fund, stock, bonds etc.

I also wouldn’t buy a luxury item that has shitty resale potential even if I had zero interest in ever selling it. I would feel cheated if I forked over money for something that is worthless.
Old 21 June 2019, 01:06 AM   #47
GMT2BATMAN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicurus View Post

Why would you take the time to comment on a post you think is a waste? Unless, you don’t value your time....
Old 20 August 2022, 02:30 PM   #48
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
The bubble is about to burst will be worth less than retail...

At this time trading is now done not by collectors or enthusiasts as we know the watches are available at retail.with a wait but at retail price...that the watches are mass produced and not rare ..there are millions of them ..with millions more warches to be made..

So all the dealing is speculator buying from grey or speculator..it's a tricky situation

As with stocks shares and commodities it hits saturation point and collapses as it dawns on the market that they are buying overpriced objects that are available..it's normally a cycle and I predict

Bubble Burst in 12 months.. with a slow down within the next 6 and a flat market in 18 months time.. the down turn is already starting as a ripple..second hand stuff is not selling as it was as the pull out is still costly.. take for example sub dates they are trading at 10% less than they were 7 months ago ..and what is at the greater price is not selling ..then overstock then BOOM.with bailout
Interesting to read these comments after a few years.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 06:42 PM   #49
DK7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
The bubble is about to burst will be worth less than retail...

At this time trading is now done not by collectors or enthusiasts as we know the watches are available at retail.with a wait but at retail price...that the watches are mass produced and not rare ..there are millions of them ..with millions more warches to be made..

So all the dealing is speculator buying from grey or speculator..it's a tricky situation

As with stocks shares and commodities it hits saturation point and collapses as it dawns on the market that they are buying overpriced objects that are available..it's normally a cycle and I predict

Bubble Burst in 12 months.. with a slow down within the next 6 and a flat market in 18 months time.. the down turn is already starting as a ripple..second hand stuff is not selling as it was as the pull out is still costly.. take for example sub dates they are trading at 10% less than they were 7 months ago ..and what is at the greater price is not selling ..then overstock then BOOM.with bailout
- What about watches that more rare?

- What are you investing your money in for the next 18 months?
DK7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 06:49 PM   #50
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
Value retention to some is a strong second to many.
In that case, best not to buy watches. Simple as that.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 10:52 PM   #51
Sglass
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The throne
If you got one at MSRP today it’s probably a decent bet. Buying at gray market today, throw your money at SPY instead.

IG: CrosbyStreetVintage
Sglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 11:01 PM   #52
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
It will beat the S&P
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote