The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2019, 02:59 AM   #61
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
Nice job being judgmental. I was 29 years old and joined right after I could afford and buy my first Rolex, an Explorer, after being a watch fanatic since I was about 12 years old (bought my first automatic Valjoux 7750 TAG Heuer chronograph at 17 years old).

Are you complaining about more users coming to TRF? Isn't that a very elitist attitude? Do you want your boys club to be smaller and your favorite brand of watches to be less popular, is that what it is?

Any Rolex owner who takes the time out of his day to come to a Rolex forum, register and post deserves to be here. If you're complaint is about people who are only getting into this hobby because the watches are hyped up, those aren't the same people sitting on a Rolex forum.

Calls someone out for being judgemental, then spends the entire
Next paragraph being judgemental but disguises it by putting it in the form of questions..
Old 21 June 2019, 03:05 AM   #62
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I see pros and cons here. I mean I think that if Rolex and wrist watches only remained in the dominion of the WIS, They would have declined and died out as many predicted. The renewed interest is allowing wrist watches to continue to thrive along with “smart” watches. I mean many will get into the brand for the resale, flip, status, etc. if they stay around long enough, they will come to appreciate what many of us WIS see in them the craftsmanship, the history, the design, utility, etc.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:12 AM   #63
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post

Calls someone out for being judgemental, then spends the entire
Next paragraph being judge mental but disguises it by putting it in the form of questions..
No kidding, right?!
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:15 AM   #64
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdog63 View Post
I hear what you are saying.
I'm a relative newcomer to the forum, but owned my first Rolex in 2001.
I would be happy to be a non contributing member with simply viewing access just to tap in to the knowledge base here. Maybe a rule of no posting until membership for over 2 years, with frequent visits made in that time. it is a real shame if those with all the experience are not feeling able to share it any longer.
No, you can not be serious right now. How can you possibly think you have a lesser right of expression than anyone else?
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:18 AM   #65
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Since we are on a watch forum and I have been a WIS for 3 decades (long before we even had the term WIS), I am having increased concerns on where our hobby is headed with the Rolex brand.

I love the renewed enthusiast that are coming back to Rolex and the young guys pumped to get their first Rolex model. My real concern is motives and attitude about the brand. Assigning value to a watch by how hard it is to get or how high it’s current inflated price is fetching is troubling and extremely superficial from a WIS perspective.

It seems like many are flaunting Rolex now as a status watch even more than the yuppies of the 80’s but now it’s about how difficult a particular model is to get rather than how flashy it was in the 80’s. Horological discussion and technical talk have almost been totally eclipsed by the act of purchasing a Rolex.

To think that we talk less about the actual watch and focus all the attention on obtaining the watch is bizarre and almost more twisted than the motives of the 80’s buyer. Is Rolex losing its core enthusiast? Other brands like AP, VC, Panerai, IWC etc..don’t nearly have the resale value of Rolex but they are at least discussed by their core enthusiast about the watch and not as a commodity.

Some of us remember a simpler motive of buying a watch by the way it looks and fit our style. Maybe we just thought it was a cool movement in a great case and had to have it. Stickers, resale, and user anxiety never entered our minds. Will the new Rolex buyer ever enjoy these simple pleasures of being a WIS?

The reality of the situation is that other than AP, the brands you mentioned are fading...a quick visit to Paneraisti focused forums will show much. much less activity than in the past...

Who talks about IWC, VC or Breitling?

Go in their boutiques and odds are you will be the only customer in the store.

I have been to Panerai boutiques in multiple cities over the last few weeks and I have been the ONLY customer PERIOD...I was in the store(s) at least an hour and not another person or even an incoming phone call...that is NOT GOOD.

Rolex AD on the other hand? BUSY BUSY BUSY.

So...in comparison I think Rolex enthusiasts are just the same in number, they just complain about the new customers the brand is acquiring because Rolex marketing is so very effective.

The other brands are falling off because their marketing and strategies are ##%^. The market has no mercy for that and it clearly shows.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:19 AM   #66
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

The funny part is that instead of talking more about watches, people who want more talk about watches - just talk about threads not talking about watches.

Suggestion to admins: Move all investments and price threads into a dedicated category.

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #67
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
No, you can not be serious right now. How can you possibly think you have a lesser right of expression than anyone else?
I think he was serious otherwise he would not have posted that.

Not everyone feels they need to express themselves 662 times in their first month at the table.
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #68
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
The funny part is that instead of talking more about watches, people who want more talk about watches - just talk about threads not talking about watches.

Suggestion to admins: Move all investments and price threads into a dedicated category.

That's totally true...

If you DON't want to talk about the market and want to discuss the legendary aspects of the Submariner or why the EXP2 was designed for cave exploration...then do that instead of complaining that you don't see that topic come up and everybody just wants Rolex for status...blah blah blah..

As a Rolex enthusiast, one should be thrilled the brand is as ALIVE as it is today, especially compared to other brands that are essentially zombies adrift in a sea of market apathy and disdain...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:25 AM   #69
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
In the 2 decades I've been observing Rolex watches, it has always being perceived as a luxury item to the general Joe. I'm quite certain 90%+ people that buy a Rolex as a sign of wealth and status, rather than the heritage of the brand. I'm also sure 90%+ of people that buy a Rolex wouldn't even know the model number of the watch they bought or the movement etc. This has always been the case so not sure where you been for the past 2 decades if you think that people are only buy Rolex now for the status and "hype".

Same can be said for all generations of people, not just the young or old buyers. Doesn't bother me, the world is full of different people that buy things for different reasons.

Forums like this are for those <10% who like to care about the heritage and constructions of the watch in order to discuss their hobby.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:36 AM   #70
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
I’m assuming you feel the same away about modern Porsche too, right? I guess even vintage as it’s very much similar to vintage Rolex market?

I think both have become hype off the charts and has ruined a lot of the if not all enthusiast vibes I’ve had towards them and my ownership.

Such is life

And ps before anyone mentions my gold ymii, yea it’s not a discrete enthusiast watch however on the contrary there is 0 hype, it gets talked about in such a negative fashion daily and well I guess that shows the enthusiast that buys it cause they love it no matter what, anyway :)
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:36 AM   #71
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Remarked by the poster who took issue with Mystro’s thread in the first place, vis-a-vis his 911 avatar.
Now we're going in circles. It's much more interesting to read a post about Rolex prices going up or down than it is to read a post from someone who thinks the forum shouldn't have young people on it.

Rolex watches are some of the most mass produced watches on the planet (NO other brand that averages over $10,000 per unit makes anywhere near 1,000,000 watches per year). They're not that special and they're not that expensive. Someone being elitist about who should be buying them and who shouldn't be buying them is not what this hobby needs.

This idea is even more toxic than the threads from serious forums members asking Rolex to raise their retail prices so that they'll be harder for average Joes to buy.
Old 21 June 2019, 03:38 AM   #72
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepchasing View Post
I think he was serious otherwise he would not have posted that.

Not everyone feels they need to express themselves 662 times in their first month at the table.
I have started numerous threads with thousands of views and hundreds of replies and so have taken the time to reply as much as I deem appropriate.

Maybe I should stop congratulating people on their incomings as well, adds too much to the post count?

Maybe I should stop posting what’s on my wrist daily, just too many posts for someone of my station?

Maybe I should stop giving members advice when they ask, sharing my experience?

Maybe I should stop with the poems? Ok, maybe I should.

I will continue to post and make threads as much or as little as I see fit.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:40 AM   #73
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
That's the saddest thing I've read all morning.

For what it's worth, I share a lot of the frustrations as OP does, and I'm not really the seasoned watch veteran like many of you are. I used to read stories on here years ago by users who got their first Rolexes, and they would detail a really interesting narrative about what they were doing at the time, what country they were in, how people reacted to their GMT over the years, how that Submariner came to their assistance in some crazy situation, etc etc.

Today, the most interesting stories are "So I was talking to an AD and they turned me away but as I walked out the door they said 'wait a min' and the next thing I know etc etc." Which, hey, I imagine must be euphoric for the new Sea Dweller owner- but making an unlikely retail transaction isn't exactly as captivating as the other stories TRF used to feature.

So what do we do about it?

OP isn't the first to complain and he won't be the last. Though I don't own a Rolex 6234, I'd be interested in hearing people debate the changes between that and subsequent Daytonas. People could even liven things up with opinions on how certain Rolex model designs have worsened over the years- I'm sure there would be a ton of disagreement on that topic alone.
Yep agreed. Its sad when I come across people that don't know anything about Rolex and its just purely a status symbol for them. Every once in a while I come across a WIS and it doesn't matter if we are discussing the most common DJ, the conversation is always interesting. Unfortunately, thats far and few in between these days.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:43 AM   #74
johnjm
"TRF" Member

It just takes longer to get what you want. Doesnt mean it has to stop. And let's be honest, Rolex has always been a symbol of success and wealth. Make no mistake about it.

It won't always be like this, yes it breaks my balls that I don't wear certain pieces because I won't be able to replace it. Does spoil it a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 21 June 2019, 03:44 AM   #75
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
Yep agreed. Its sad when I come across people that don't know anything about Rolex and its just purely a status symbol for them. Every once in a while I come across a WIS and it doesn't matter if we are discussing the most common DJ, the conversation is always interesting. Unfortunately, thats far and few in between these days.
Want to know the irony? Every Rolex dealer/boutique I go to have the same people as salesman lol

Rolex isn’t exactly making sure their brand is being represented by people who know what they are talking about, either. Just find that funny also

And I agree with you!

Guy at mayors last night was telling me Tudor bronze can’t be reversed (patina wise) this and that , also got something about deepsea completely wrong and electively opened the convo like a know it all while I was just quiet with a smirk.

These brands need to be represented as such as well
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:45 AM   #76
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I love this forum. Lurked for years while collecting other brands and finally decided to add something small to the conversation not long ago after playing in Rolex for a few years.

I don't love every thread, and when I don't, I leave them without comment. I can always find some interesting topic to entertain myself with, even in this trying Rolex market.

And, to be fair, without this weird time in Rolex I would not have found and purchased a Cellini Prince. As an added bonus, I have been spending a bunch of time lately on the AP, Panerai and Omega subforums doing some mental research on other brands who have watches I am interested in pursuing while the Rolex world is so dry.

Always something fun for me on these forums, and I rarely have to look far.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:50 AM   #77
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
No

Take a look at the BMW forum, same atmosphere.

Enthusiasts are lamenting the good old days of purpose driven products.

Now for both brands it is all about the money and the buyers care little about the actual product.

Sad to see but not surprising.
I think the two brands have taken opposite routes. BMW have milked the demand, pumping out as many cars as possible, even diluting the design features that made them desirable (FWD BMW 1 series anyone?). Result is destruction of the brand, massive discounts (25%) and lousy residuals. When was the last time you saw a £50k BMW?

Whereas, Rolex have stayed true to their brand. Haven't flooded the market, haven't challenged the quality to boost profits, and haven't made garish special editions to appeal to lowest denominator sales. They even try to look after their loyal customers, whilst trying to sift out the flippers
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:51 AM   #78
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

I only got into this hobby since last year. I have two Rolex now and enjoy my watches very much. To me, this forum is where i get help if i have any questions. Thank you all. Of course, i do reply to people when i can help them as well. Other than that, i only go up here to read for fun. If you dont like a topic, dont read. Why over think? Just enjoy your watches and other things in life.
andyvn579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:53 AM   #79
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Its sad when I come across people that don't know anything about Rolex and its just purely a status symbol for them. Every once in a while I come across a WIS and it doesn't matter if we are discussing the most common DJ, the conversation is always interesting. Unfortunately, thats far and few in between these days.
I have conversations with random WIS out and about at least twice a month. The number one rule I follow to do so is never strike up a conversation with someone wearing a Rolex. Now I have had conversations with people wearing Rolex but they have always started them with me and guess what, I wasn't wearing a Rolex at those times. I actually made a good friend out of a public meeting when he asked about my Timex Weekender while he was wearing a Sub.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:53 AM   #80
Oliver Mendl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II: 16570
I think I understand where you're coming from.

Maybe it would help to create two sub-forums:

1) Up to the minute - AD Scuttlebutt unfiltered.
2) Investor relations - How to make your first million under 30 by flipping the hottest Rolex watches.

Obviously the names I choose are meant to be funny, but I think the general idea to split AD talk and "Investment" related topics from the rest isn't at all that bad.

Maybe it helps to keep the other topics about enjoying and wearing Rolex watches daily, on top for a little longer. Maybe it helps easing the overall perception.

Kind regards,
Oliver
Old 21 June 2019, 03:57 AM   #81
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Embrace change or move on.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 03:57 AM   #82
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Who talks about IWC, VC or Breitling?

Go in their boutiques and odds are you will be the only customer in the store.
I sure hope this extends to pre-1970s Breitlings.
daOnlyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 04:05 AM   #83
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Embrace change or move on.
Welcome to the forum. Do you find it a bit ironic that you’re suggesting those who have been on this forum much longer than you simply move out of the way now that the speculators have arrived and changed the tone of the forum altogether?
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 04:31 AM   #84
privv
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I've enjoyed reading this thread,thanks,but what are or is a WIS?
privv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 04:32 AM   #85
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Welcome to the forum. Do you find it a bit ironic that you’re suggesting those who have been on this forum much longer than you simply move out of the way now that the speculators have arrived and changed the tone of the forum altogether?
Not at all. Only that the Rolex watch attracts a wide variety of people and their interests. It's only reasonable that the Forum embodies this diversity.

I believe there is plenty here on TRF for all interests and one can just ignore those topics that don't appeal to them As an example I ignore:
- Speculation on which watch will gain value the most.
- Help me decide what color dial I should choose.
- Venting on why I hate or love my AD.
- Trying to figure out Rolex's strategy and suggest changes.
I go right to:
- How to do some simple changes (bracelets etc.) on my watch.
- Comments on "wearability"
- Technical notes on the movements, disassembly etc.
- Areas where I might help someone out with a problem or question.

I believe all voices should be respected, even if they don't have particular interest to me. No one is encouraged to "move out of the way", only to recognize that the watch we love is increasingly appreciated by many - and for different reasons.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 05:04 AM   #86
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Just realize that over several years there have always been people that don't know anything about Rolex other than the name, and they go buy one just to have a watch with ROLEX on the dial. So they can show everyone they "made it".
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 05:06 AM   #87
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Seems like the vast majority of Rolex owners are not "serious enthusiasts" anyway so I don't think the brand has much to do with it. Ever say "nice Day-Date" or "Nice Datejust" to someone? I get met with blank stares until I point to their wrist and say the word Rolex most of the time, it's just a nice watch to them which is totally fine. If anything, I think the shortage, craze, whatever you want to call it is probably helping breed new enthusiasts. Probably every single person with a BLRO, BLNR, DaytonaC, or other hot model knows what is on their wrist because they didn't stumble on something shiny by accident.

It's a nitch, just like the BMWs mentioned earlier. Random people in a parking lot probably think I am insane walking around rattling off chassis codes, paint names, and giving them thumbs up, but that would be normal behavior around many M owners or at a meet up.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 05:17 AM   #88
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
Seems like the vast majority of Rolex owners are not "serious enthusiasts" anyway so I don't think the brand has much to do with it. Ever say "nice Day-Date" or "Nice Datejust" to someone? I get met with blank stares until I point to their wrist and say the word Rolex most of the time, it's just a nice watch to them which is totally fine. If anything, I think the shortage, craze, whatever you want to call it is probably helping breed new enthusiasts. Probably every single person with a BLRO, BLNR, DaytonaC, or other hot model knows what is on their wrist because they didn't stumble on something shiny by accident.

It's a nitch, just like the BMWs mentioned earlier. Random people in a parking lot probably think I am insane walking around rattling off chassis codes, paint names, and giving them thumbs up, but that would be normal behavior around many M owners or at a meet up.
I see you have a DSSD and a Pelagos! Let’s be friends!
Old 21 June 2019, 05:43 AM   #89
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Some of these responses are unreal...

While I agree with many points brought on by OP I have chosen to not let it get to me and not drink the Koolaid. Those click and bait is it safe, will the bubble pop threads - I ignore.

I consider myself to be a WIS. A true enthusiast. My AD is on speed dial. We have gone out for drinks and last night I asked him how his wife and the house renovations were coming along. I will never try to leverage that friendship to get a hard to get model.

To me, having the ability to walk into the shop and talk about watches, or just about anything is more important than getting yet another LV at MSRP.

I am not a seasoned member but I do recall my first posts being all about “which should I buy” and I am sure some of the seasoned members were annoyed.

At first, Rolex was a trophy. It was a way of rewarding myself for becoming everything I wanted to become. Even though I always wore a watch and as a kid I was fascinated with them , I never thought it would become a genuine passion.

The trend will die out and after this is all over, there will be a whole lot of new true “enthusiasts” and the rest will simply move on to the latest and greatest trend.

I have experienced this many times before. My E30 M3, seeing amazing DJs play live in Ibiza, Limelight, Sound Factory and other venues way before it was cool.

Everything I do, I do it for myself and I don’t allow “Trends” to change my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 June 2019, 05:56 AM   #90
Paulsky
"TRF" Member

I don’t know if I’m a WIS or not. I’ve always loved watches, bought a couple of ‘nice’ watches in the past, but didn’t get into them in a major way until about 3 years ago. I’ve become a regular contributor on the WUS Forum but am a fairly recent participant here on TRF.
I love Rolex for its heritage, coolness factor, comfort and beauty. They are simply beautiful watches. But I’m much more into the older 5 digits than the modern pieces, which to my mind have become more like jewelry. I think this craze will pass, like all crazes and fads. It’s being fed by a unique combination of circumstances that I don’t believe are sustainable. But I also totally agree that it has brought in a whole new generation of Rolex enthusiasts. As for all the threads about value retention, prices, etc, this is inevitable given how the current spike in demand have made all Rolex watches, both new and vintage, extremely sought after, very expensive and difficult to acquire luxury items.
Paulsky is offline   Reply With Quote