The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 May 2018, 11:09 PM   #31
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Don't buy a bike that overheats while idling if you ride in an area that is usually congested.

I go to India often. Everybody is on bikes and scooters, and nobody pays heed to lanes. It's mob traffic with tons of accidents and injuries. Chaos doesn't work as well as organization, and lane splitting promotes chaos.

Lane splitting doesn't fix congestion by allowing bikes to get there faster. It does enable knot heads on overpowered machines to do stupid things in public. The safest approach is for everybody to be doing the same thing, at the same speed, within the confines of the organized flow of traffic (lanes).
They’ll do that regardless of the legality of lane splitting.

By the way, most modern motorcycles will not overheat when stopped in traffic. Only some older air-cooled bikes will.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 11:20 PM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Craziest place I ever drove was Granada .... talk about splitting lanes
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 11:22 PM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I’ve seen lane splitters splattered trying to weave through traffic. Maybe your state doesn’t care if you end up as a grease stain on the pavement.
If you’re not already familiar with the David Wilcox song “Blow Em Away” have a listen ... speaks to your point
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 11:51 PM   #34
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Lane splitting is riding a motorcycle between lanes or rows of slow moving or stopped traffic moving in the same direction. Key words are identified in this statement. Any activity outside of this is dangerous driving.

As a motorcycle rider for more than 50 years I've seen a lot of irresponsible riding. I follow one credo while riding. Everyone around me operating any vehicle is oblivious to my existence. I'm the only one responsible for my safety. Act accordingly.

This has saved my bacon and life more than a few times.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 12:31 AM   #35
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

First of all there are two different things here and they are both because studies have proven that one of the main causes of motorcycle injuries by other vehicles is that on streets and highways during stop and go driving, and due to nature of the profile of a motorcycle, they get rear ended.

To prevent this the concept of moving motorcycles out of the stop and go dynamic, two ideas were used.

The first is called filtering and this happens when traffic is stopped. A motorcycle can filter between the cars to the front of the line, which you often see at traffic lights.

The second is called lane splitting which allows motorcycles to move between the fast and second lane at 10 -15 MPH faster than traffic.

Both of these practices save lives.

Most of what is being described in this thread is illegal. Loud pipes, swerving in and out of traffic, and going faster than 10-15 MPH more than traffic. There is nothing wrong with the laws of lane splitting and filtering, there is just a problem with the people who ride motorcycles and choose to be assholes and break the law.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 12:37 AM   #36
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Don't buy a bike that overheats while idling if you ride in an area that is usually congested.

I go to India often. Everybody is on bikes and scooters, and nobody pays heed to lanes. It's mob traffic with tons of accidents and injuries. Chaos doesn't work as well as organization, and lane splitting promotes chaos.

Lane splitting doesn't fix congestion by allowing bikes to get there faster. It does enable knot heads on overpowered machines to do stupid things in public. The safest approach is for everybody to be doing the same thing, at the same speed, within the confines of the organized flow of traffic (lanes).
Harley Davidson and BMW are the two brands I have experience with. Either of these 2 cylinder machines would generally be considered the slower (not “overpowered”) available offferings in the motorcycle world.
The BMW I have ridden with boxer motors are very dependent on air (including the oil cooled) cooling.
The Harley's I have ridden make the rider very dependent on air cooling as the heat coming off the motor can be stifling, this is exacerbated if the Bike is equipped with a fairing/windshield.

As far as choosing a bike for the location you intend to ride, I ride for travel and have experienced congestion All over North America.
I choose my bikes for comfort and and the type of riding first.
The rider is burdened with looking out for their own safety as well as looking out for all of the unsafe actions of others. The rider will be hurt vs the driver will have their car dented. ... the reward is the rider doesn’t have to sit in bumper to bumper traffic... a small consolation for exposure to injury.

I have zero experience riding in or visiting India but I wouldn't think that this is where I would begin to resolve the problems there?
Old 13 May 2018, 12:57 AM   #37
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
It does not bother but they get awfully close to my car
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 01:40 AM   #38
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I find it unsafe and I never split lanes when I rode my dual sport on the road, however, the law allows it so I respect the riders right to do it. I always give them as much room as I can when I'm driving. I actually stopped riding in traffic when my son was born.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 01:48 AM   #39
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
First of all there are two different things here and they are both because studies have proven that one of the main causes of motorcycle injuries by other vehicles is that on streets and highways during stop and go driving, and due to nature of the profile of a motorcycle, they get rear ended.

To prevent this the concept of moving motorcycles out of the stop and go dynamic, two ideas were used.

The first is called filtering and this happens when traffic is stopped. A motorcycle can filter between the cars to the front of the line, which you often see at traffic lights.

The second is called lane splitting which allows motorcycles to move between the fast and second lane at 10 -15 MPH faster than traffic.

Both of these practices save lives.

Most of what is being described in this thread is illegal. Loud pipes, swerving in and out of traffic, and going faster than 10-15 MPH more than traffic. There is nothing wrong with the laws of lane splitting and filtering, there is just a problem with the people who ride motorcycles and choose to be assholes and break the law.
This all assumes an ideal rider, who doesn't abuse the priviledge. In practice, it doesn’t work because riders use it as an excuse to engage in more dangerous behaviors.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 01:58 AM   #40
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
This all assumes an ideal rider, who doesn't abuse the priviledge. In practice, it doesn’t work because riders use it as an excuse to engage in more dangerous behaviors.
Which might get them dead !!!
Thats why I don’t ride and never will !!!
You always have to watch for some other idiot who
might run you over or you get stupid on the cycle
and get yourself killed ...

I have never owned a bike and frankly never will probably...
seen too much to take the risk .
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 02:09 AM   #41
austinp
"TRF" Member

I think its douchey. Wait in line like everyone else.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 02:56 AM   #42
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
The only time I have a problem is when they hit a car and keep on going, or when they split when the carpool opens up. I think it is really stupid on their part to split when they know cars are going to start moving in and out of the carpool lane. I’ve seen two cyclists get knocked down doing that. I know it’s technically the cars fault, but is like saying pedestrians shouldn’t look both ways before crossing a street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 05:51 AM   #43
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
People who are going to ride like idiots are going to do it anyway. Same as people who drive like idiots.

Legal lane splitting saves lives. That’s why it was legalized in some places. More states are looking at it as well. It stops motorcyclists being killed or maimed by inattentive drivers rear ending them.

The thing with motorcyclists is there are a couple of troublesome demographics, firstly teens and early 20 year olds, whose responsible decision making is not fully formed in their brains yet and who do stupid things, and secondly assholes who are jerks with loud pipes and bad manners who have no respect for others. We generally know what kinds of bikes the latter group rides.
Old 13 May 2018, 06:01 AM   #44
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I am ok with the idea in theory, but there are some guys on bikes that take advantage of lane splitting. Combine that with all of the poor drivers out there and you're just asking for trouble.

A couple weeks ago on my way to work, I noticed that the other side of the freeway was totally empty (not a single car for miles). I thought it was strange until I saw that the cops had the freeway totally blocked off. There was a car with the back totally smashed, a mangled motorcycle on the ground, and the cops were placing a tarp over a body.... I don't know the exact circumstances of the situation, but it's dangerous out there. I will most likely never ride a bike because of how scary it is to be on the road with other drivers.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 06:06 AM   #45
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I am ok with the idea in theory, but there are some guys on bikes that take advantage of lane splitting. Combine that with all of the poor drivers out there and you're just asking for trouble.

A couple weeks ago on my way to work, I noticed that the other side of the freeway was totally empty (not a single car for miles). I thought it was strange until I saw that the cops had the freeway totally blocked off. There was a car with the back totally smashed, a mangled motorcycle on the ground, and the cops were placing a tarp over a body.... I don't know the exact circumstances of the situation, but it's dangerous out there. I will most likely never ride a bike because of how scary it is to be on the road with other drivers.
I go out once or twice a week and ride the beautiful backroads in wine country which is extremely therapeutic and fun. I rarely ride on the freeway and never in stop and go rush hour traffic. There are too many erratic and stressed drivers out there with too many things to distract them. I don’t lane split because I don’t need to due to my ride locations but I do filter once in a while.
Old 13 May 2018, 06:13 AM   #46
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I go out once or twice a week and ride the beautiful backroads in wine country which is extremely therapeutic and fun. I rarely ride on the freeway and never in stop and go rush hour traffic. There are too many erratic and stressed drivers out there with too many things to distract them. I don’t lane split because I don’t need to due to my ride locations but I do filter once in a while.
If you live in an area with minimal traffic or if you're able to ride on back roads, that's a different story. Using a bike to commute here in LA is basically suicide.

Riding through wine country does sound pretty nice, though.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 06:47 AM   #47
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
It's totally normal in urban traffic in France. Just a question of everyone being used to it. And for car drivers to accept that bikers are always correct.

It also helps all riders to have the occasional angry rider who smashes the rear view mirrors of those who wander into the "bikers' lane".... encourages respect by all. ;-)
Right. Spend an hour watching YouTube videos of the Go-Pro equipped D-bags riding aggressively, purposely accelerating to close in the cars blind spots etc etc and then act enraged when the car makes a move, flips the bird, whines like a little b*&ch at the driver, and whacks the mirror off. It's all done for show.

These idiots are worse than anyone talking on a phone. They're too busy narrating their own imagined hero-vid for uploading to pay attention, and creating near-misses to make it look outrageous for their online audience of douchey morons like themselves.

Hopefully they check the donor box on their license so they can perhaps save the life of someone who has a brain. When they die it's just nature taking it's course.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 07:13 AM   #48
cdmorenot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Some food for thought.

Common practice to split down where I live ... Not unusual to see this a few times a week.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 13 May 2018, 07:36 AM   #49
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Right. Spend an hour watching YouTube videos of the Go-Pro equipped D-bags riding aggressively, purposely accelerating to close in the cars blind spots etc etc and then act enraged when the car makes a move, flips the bird, whines like a little b*&ch at the driver, and whacks the mirror off. It's all done for show.

These idiots are worse than anyone talking on a phone. They're too busy narrating their own imagined hero-vid for uploading to pay attention, and creating near-misses to make it look outrageous for their online audience of douchey morons like themselves.

Hopefully they check the donor box on their license so they can perhaps save the life of someone who has a brain. When they die it's just nature taking it's course.

Yes, but that's just how it is. So, as a car driver especially in and around Paris, you accept and you pay attention. A lot easier than getting annoyed every day.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 11:35 AM   #50
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
Reckless and dangerous. Lane splitters get smeared all the time around here on the highways.. it just takes one car to change lanes with a lane splitter flying in between lanes. It's illegal for good reason. As much as I appreciate and respect motorcyclists... I would NEVER ride one here with all the people staring at their cell phones while driving. Too dangerous for me.. no thanks.
james1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 11:51 AM   #51
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Like California does.

I hear people from other states say it is dangerous, despite them having absolutely no personal experience with it. Most of the rest of the world allows this practice and some studies have shown it is safer for motorcyclists to lane split instead of sitting in stop and go traffic like a car. I've also heard people in other states say it isn't fair and that it makes them angry when they see motorcyclists splitting traffic. To that I have just one response: BOO HOO!!! Get on a bike and enjoy the benefits then.

I drove to work yesterday and as I was sitting in a 1/4 mile long line of cars waiting to get through an intersection I saw a motorcyclist filtering between cars coming up behind me and I realized that there wasn't much of a gap between me and the car to my left so I crept up a bit and moved my car farther to the right so he could squeeze through. I noticed other people around me did the same. Why do some people get angry? It's really no skin of their back and it is just common courtesy really. Plus, a motorcycle lane splitting is one less car on the roads. Less cars equals less traffic.

Anyway, when/if you ever see it
on the ballot in your state, vote to allow lane splitting. It makes sense.
Because you die!!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 12:15 PM   #52
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Because you die!!!
We all die.

Most in far more boring and sad ways.
Old 13 May 2018, 12:18 PM   #53
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
We all die.

As long as your insurance covers my body damage, I don't mind you going to your maker when you splatter against the back of my truck.

Maybe you should take up tiger wrestling. Much more exciting way to go, and feeds a starving tiger.
Old 13 May 2018, 12:33 PM   #54
Lol-x
Facilitator

I do lane split, but I am wary of doing so in moving traffic, most times it is just too risky unless the gap is very wide or the relative speed of the motor cars is low. However, when cars are stationary it is safer as long as I ride at a relatively slow speed and keep a very keen look-out for cars changing lanes.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 12:43 PM   #55
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As long as your insurance covers my body damage, I don't mind you going to your maker when you splatter against the back of my truck.

Maybe you should take up tiger wrestling. Much more exciting way to go, and feeds a starving tiger.
Ok, thanks for the thoughtful comments and hostile replies .

Maybe you should be less critical
Old 13 May 2018, 01:04 PM   #56
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
We all die.

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the thoughtful comments and hostile replies .

Maybe you should be less critical
Maybe you shouldn't suggest getting killed in a lane splitting accident is a great way to go, yeah?

You are welcome to kill yourself however you'd like, just don't take some poor soul on his way home from work with you.
Old 13 May 2018, 01:11 PM   #57
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I’ve been riding and racing motorcycles since eight years old, and I love lane-splitters !

They make good organ doners ....................... as I get older spare parts are handy.

Old 13 May 2018, 01:25 PM   #58
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe you shouldn't suggest getting killed in a lane splitting accident is a great way to go, yeah?

You are welcome to kill yourself however you'd like, just don't take some poor soul on his way home from work with you.
You presume too much or maybe you have personal experience that you have not shared that is making you emotional?

Either way you are making this personal and it is uncalled for.

My comment was not to suggest it is a good way to die, my experience is riding is a fun way to live. That said, it is inherently dangerous. I think about those dangers every time I ride (certainly more than the driver in the car next to me) or participate in anything that has risk and when those thoughts come to mind I think about the countless other ways people get hurt that may be as simple as crossing the street.
Old 13 May 2018, 04:28 PM   #59
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
You presume too much or maybe you have personal experience that you have not shared that is making you emotional?

Either way you are making this personal and it is uncalled for.

My comment was not to suggest it is a good way to die, my experience is riding is a fun way to live. That said, it is inherently dangerous. I think about those dangers every time I ride (certainly more than the driver in the car next to me) or participate in anything that has risk and when those thoughts come to mind I think about the countless other ways people get hurt that may be as simple as crossing the street.
You BTW are the one getting emotional. I am simply debating your argument.

You stated with bravado that you have to die of something, and that people die of boring things. I managed safety in a high risk explosives storage area in the past, and in my experience, it's exactly that kind bravado that leads to poor decisions and unsafe behaviors.

It's clearly a polarizing topic. The root cause of the problem isn't that there's a risk of getting hit in stop and go traffic, the root cause is that a motorcycle is inherently unsafe in any kind of collision. It is exempt from all the collision safety design requirements a car must have to be considered safe to sell. Inventing work arounds like lane splitting does not address the root cause. At best they are a placebo. At worst they are a license behave badly in traffic.
Old 13 May 2018, 04:30 PM   #60
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
You should listen to this guy Gus.

He and his friends are the experts in all subjects on TRF and they will bury you with 'facts'.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote