The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2021, 11:53 AM   #1
mattg6
"TRF" Member

Does servicing a 5970g with Patek affect the value?

Wanted to ask about two independent things since there are two reasons one can service a 5970:

1.) polishing of the case - to have Patek remove any small swirls and use laser to fill in. Does this affect resale positively or negatively?

2.) the hands - many 5970g models get the “rainbow hands” where the hour and minute hands show some blue (oxidized). Does replacing the hands affect resale value positively or negatively?

Thanks everyone
mattg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:16 PM   #2
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

I’m in the camp where if it isn’t broke...don’t fix or replace it. The scratches and dents give the watch it’s character. Definitely do not polish as many purists will probably also agree upon. As for the oxidized hands, unless it is broken and falling off...I would also keep them for now. Maybe it will become the aged look that some dials have going for many more $$& in resale!
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:56 PM   #3
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Naw , polishing, changing hands etc will only increase value- if done by PP . Polishing by anyone else imo & experience will clearly reduce value & desirability. James in San Antonio Tx :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:18 AM   #4
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Patek Philippe service is really world class.
I've seen thier laser fill in bigger scratches and it is not very easy to spot for untrained eye.
small scratches, definetly don't polish the case
Old 18 January 2021, 07:29 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
Patek Philippe service is really world class.
I've seen thier laser fill in bigger scratches and it is not very easy to spot for untrained eye.
small scratches, definetly don't polish the case
Off topic but that is a heck of a nice avatar
Old 18 January 2021, 11:25 AM   #6
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
If you are looking at resale value, in any and most senses altering the originality of the watch will affect value (polishing, replacing hands, etc etc).

People want the least touched condition. So yes, doing the above with any visual aesthetics will affect value even if it was completed by Patek.

But you should ask yourself are you in it for the watch and it’s enjoyment or you simply looking over resale value.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:53 PM   #7
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

It’s not a vintage watch, no one will even know if the piece was always mint or if it was serviced - get it done if you feel happier starting with a mint piece and adding your own life marks.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 04:07 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Many people service a watch before selling as it gives the watch a renewed 2 year Patek warranty.

As per the Patek website, cost is 2300 CHF (+ parts) or its equivalent, depending on where you send the watch for servicing.

Unless the watch is not keeping good time, I wouldn't rush into getting a service. You will likely be out 6+ months for servicing a PCC, depending on where you send it to for servicing (Geneva, London, NYC, etc).

If I were to buy a pre-owned 5970, having a recent service means it has a renewed Patek warranty and I don't have to worry about a 2300 CHF service fee any time soon.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:40 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Imho the wisdom is to service any PP before you sell it. This way it comes with a two-year warranty so it's now someone else's problem. i'd stay with original hands if / as possible. Any high-quality watchmaker can usually carefully remove and re-attach stock hands. i doubt that resale will be hit due to newer hands versus originals on the 5970, but with PP buyers you never know so the risk is yours.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Flipitfloyd
"TRF" Member

Polishing removes material from the case and will always reduce the value. That said, if you aren't going to trust your Patek in the hands of Patek, who will you trust? If resell value is really all you care about then lock it up in a safety deposit box until the market hits your sell price.
Flipitfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 09:32 PM   #11
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
If you do send it in take the opportunity of getting an archive extract - this is very nice to have in addition to the original certificate and as an owner of 4 5970 variants I would pay a premium for it (although in my case didn't as I procured the archives for all four of mine after I had purchased them).

As to the original question, I would absolutely trust Patek to do an excellent job of a small refresh, but I would be surprised if you get it back within 6 months!
Old 19 January 2021, 10:56 PM   #12
Billfav
"TRF" Member

I would...

I recently acquired (few months ago) a Ref 3940. Given its complications and having acquired it with unknown service history as part of the deal I had the AD send it to PP for a full service. Now the potential headaches of service are behind me with a PP warranty. The service took 3.5 months FWIW.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:37 PM   #13
henryjoeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270/5235/5131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg6 View Post
Wanted to ask about two independent things since there are two reasons one can service a 5970:

1.) polishing of the case - to have Patek remove any small swirls and use laser to fill in. Does this affect resale positively or negatively?

2.) the hands - many 5970g models get the “rainbow hands” where the hour and minute hands show some blue (oxidized). Does replacing the hands affect resale value positively or negatively?

Thanks everyone
1. Negatively. Generally polishing will diminish the value, even by the manufacture.

2. Not affect value. Since Patek Geneva will routinely replace all hands when they perform the overhaul service. That's the case for all my Patek's going back to Geneva. They said it's due to possible bending or scratching of the hands during the dissembling.

My 2 cents.

Best, Henry
henryjoeng is offline   Reply With Quote