The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 7 October 2014, 10:44 PM   #31
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.lats97nsx View Post
What would happen if you offered the guy 2500. If I was the seller and was selling something and someone offered me almost triple of my asking price my first instict would be " its probably worth a heck more since this guy is offering me only 3 times my asking price" then I would think maybe its worth 10 times hmmmm. Sometimes better to keep your mouth shut.
^ Exactly!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 7 October 2014, 11:08 PM   #32
playmore009
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, LVc
I am torn...I would have bought the watch and then send him another check.
Old 7 October 2014, 11:18 PM   #33
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Yeah, right...
Old 7 October 2014, 11:25 PM   #34
goldfixer21
2024 Pledge Member

There is nothing "wrong" with buying at a great price...bragging about sticking it to them on the internet...that's another thing
Old 7 October 2014, 11:32 PM   #35
Roley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
You gave the gent what (he) asked for.
Enjoy the watch.
Old 7 October 2014, 11:32 PM   #36
1675-David
"TRF" Member

You paid 900bucks to a guy in a rusty truck for a Rolex... where did this deal of the century take place? The car park behind Burger King?
Old 7 October 2014, 11:35 PM   #37
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Yeah, right...
Old 7 October 2014, 11:44 PM   #38
Comacho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 168000
The rest of the story...

Ok so I guess I left out a few important details.

First of all the man was/is NOT hurting for cash. And the rusty truck is not indicative of his station in life. He KNEW the watch was worth significantly more, he just didn't care. Besides if he had wanted even twice what he was asking, as good of a deal as it would have still been, it would have difficult for me to do it right now.

I do nice things for people all the time and never expect anything in return. I FINALLY catch a break and I'm the bad guy for jumping on it? Its not like he asked me what I thought it was worth or i was there to tell him what he had. My friend has purchased literally THOUSANDS of dollars worth of guns from the man all at good but fair market prices. He's not a "clueless old man" sorry if it came off that way. Perhaps my story telling needs some work.

Besides me being new to the brand I really wasn't even sure what I bought until i was able to get it home and apart and until the. He seemed genuinely happy that someone cared enough about it to ask questions and hear his story. Sorry if it came off like I was bragging about sticking it to some unsuspecting sucker (which i would never do) because that is NOT how it was at all.

Money means very little to some people, apparently this guy is one of them.
Old 8 October 2014, 12:13 AM   #39
V.lats97nsx
2024 Pledge Member

You should of really stuck it to him and offered him 850. Sad thing he probably would of taken it.
Old 8 October 2014, 12:59 AM   #40
Rzani
Banned

Watch: BLRO
I'm fairly certain I would have done the same thing the OP did. Though, I think any of us would had to have been there to truly make the call. Still, I always try and get the best deal I can on anything I buy.

If the watch is valued at $4000 and you pay $3000 does that make it better? If it was a 30 year old doctor selling the watch would it have been okay? Where do we draw the line? For all we know the "old man" is worth millions and is a prick who deserved to get lowballed. I think many here are assuming he is destitute and desperate, while that may not be the case at all.

To the OP, congratulations on the watch and the great deal!
Old 8 October 2014, 01:03 AM   #41
psv
"TRF" Member

That is not the definition of a "deal" to me. The poor old guy probably needed the money more badly that you did. I know it is a free market and all, but I wouldn't feel right about doing business that way.
Old 8 October 2014, 01:17 AM   #42
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comacho View Post
I acquired a watch I've coveted for 20 years... After we exchange pleasantries he says to me "hey, how much do you know about Rolex's? I reply "well ironically, more than you're average person on the street".
It's interesting that the OP has coveted a Sub for 20 years and claims above-average knowledge of Rolex--yet he only just joined TRF, ostensibly to trumpet his "deal of the century" in a post that as of this writing is his only one.

Did he really sign up just to gloat over his find... Is he actually here fishing for offers on this watch... Is he possibly someone who was already a member and couldn't resist posting this deal but took on a new user name because the boasting is a bit unseemly... Thoughts, TRFers?
Old 8 October 2014, 01:19 AM   #43
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
I'm conflicted over this one. Get her tuned up/worked over. If all is amazing with the watch, all original parts, works fine, looks good.... then pass him another check for something a bit more reasonable.

Perhaps the older gent had some mental capacity issues? Hard times? Was on meds? Seems like something is missing from the story.

Sorry to be a downer on this, but we will all be that old one day, God willing.
Old 8 October 2014, 01:27 AM   #44
Matt C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116660
Sounds like you got a good deal to me, people are over sensitive without knowing the whole story. I think they need to tone down the judging. Ridiculous.
Old 8 October 2014, 01:29 AM   #45
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
Sounds like you got a good deal to me, people are over sensitive without knowing the whole story. I think they need to tone down the judging. Ridiculous.
x1000

I will proudly say that I would do exactly what the OP did. So he got a better deal than a lot of us. Good for him!

Nick
Old 8 October 2014, 01:32 AM   #46
Comacho
"TRF" Member

I think there have been some assumptioins made...

I get what some of you are saying but where do you draw the line?

I gotta ask some of you guys... if you were at an estate sell and saw it it for $900? how many are picking it up and paying as fast as they can? what if it was beat to hell and the garage seller didn't know it could be brought back to life? I'm supposed to tell THEM how much their stuff is worth?

If I'm out antiquing and come across an old movement that I recognize as valuable I can't buy it without first telling the seller what his stuff is worth? come on now.... I read about garage/estate sell finds all the time here and other places and I don't see the outrage.

Just because this guy was selling some stuff doesn't mean he wasn't knowledgeable about what he had. I mean he bought it originally for crying out loud. why is everyone assuming he's some hapless schmuck? I think its interesting that everyone assumes this guy is helpless because he drives an old rusty truck (well he's gotta be a moron then right?) Incidentally if this guy has half of what I heard he has... he has plenty of money

Look, I don't know what his motivation was and I sure didn't go into it trying to take advantage of someone. Maybe he was doing me a solid. Maybe he wanted to make someone's day...I was just going to look at a watch. Everyone's looking for THAT DEAL right?
Old 8 October 2014, 01:36 AM   #47
Suprageex
"TRF" Member

This thread summed up in one picture:
Old 8 October 2014, 01:38 AM   #48
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Interesting responses from everyone. Your response says a lot about you!
Can anyone say "Pan Am?"

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 8 October 2014, 01:38 AM   #49
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lauf der Zeit View Post
It's interesting that the OP has coveted a Sub for 20 years and claims above-average knowledge of Rolex--yet he only just joined TRF, ostensibly to trumpet his "deal of the century" in a post that as of this writing is his only one.

Did he really sign up just to gloat over his find... Is he actually here fishing for offers on this watch... Is he possibly someone who was already a member and couldn't resist posting this deal but took on a new user name because the boasting is a bit unseemly... Thoughts, TRFers?
Something tells me that this is closest to the truth!
Old 8 October 2014, 01:50 AM   #50
verticalflight
"TRF" Member

Plot twist:

Seller just posted on his own forum site that he sold an old watch for 5x his purchase price.
Old 8 October 2014, 02:01 AM   #51
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalflight View Post
Plot twist:

Seller just posted on his own forum site that he sold an old watch for 5x his purchase price.
Link?
Old 8 October 2014, 02:21 AM   #52
MonBK
Banned

Interesting, the OP was here just now reading this thread but didn't bother to comment.
Old 8 October 2014, 02:41 AM   #53
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

Troll...
Old 8 October 2014, 02:42 AM   #54
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I see no malice here. If the man appeared to be in dire straights, then maybe. But 60 is no geezer. For all we know its a franken and OP is the one who was taken lol. Unlikely with all the papers but still.
Old 8 October 2014, 02:57 AM   #55
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I see no malice here. If the man appeared to be in dire straights, then maybe. But 60 is no geezer. For all we know its a franken and OP is the one who was taken lol. Unlikely with all the papers but still.
even franken subs are worth wellover $900 all daylong
Old 8 October 2014, 03:04 AM   #56
Comacho
"TRF" Member

the rest of the story...

sorry guys I've been trying to reply to this thread since I joined last night but it kept telling me to wait for a Mod's approval.... so this is a duplicate (kinda) of what I posted above... they all showed up at once

anyway, no I'm not trolling, and I'm no sock puppet.

I think there have been quite a few assumptions made about this story, perhaps I need to work on my story telling.

here are a few more details. The guy I purchased the watch from was aware that it was worth more than he was asking. I have no clue what his motivation to sell it was. The fact that he drove a rusty truck means absolutely nothing. If this guy has HALF of what I've been told... He's bought/sold literally many thousands of dollars in vintage and collectable guns many to the guy that introduced us... it AIN'T about the money. I do find it interesting that so many assume he's some hapless schmuck because he was old(er) and drove an old rusty truck. I mean he DID by the watch originally so its not like he was clueless.

Were do you draw the line? If any of us saw something like that in an estate sale we couldn't get to the cash register fast enough. If I was at a garage sell and came across a beat up vintage Omega needing a new everything is it MY responsibility to tell the seller what it should be worth? If I'm antiquing and come across an old movement that I recognize as valuable (happened several times) it's my DUTY to inform the seller that he's priced his stuff too low? wow I don't know what to say.

I would never intentionally mislead someone. and I had NO IDEA what i was going to see. it's not like I was appraising the watch and then low balled him. I was just going to check out a watch.

I sense some righteous indignation up in this joint

sorry to step on so many toes. very far from my intention. I really wasn't bragging... this is a Rolex forum right? I was just relaying what I thought was a good story.
Old 8 October 2014, 03:06 AM   #57
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Certainly was a great deal. Hope the seller doesn't find his way to this site. Wear it in good health, or as was already posted, sell it for 5x what you paid in good health
Old 8 October 2014, 03:29 AM   #58
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Besides me being new to the brand I really wasn't even sure what I bought until i was able to get it home and apart and until the.
OP's updated story was sounding a little less greedy and boastful until he wrote the above... contradicts the earlier claims of 20 years coveting a Sub and having above-average Rolex knowledge...

Comacho, if you are still out there--what did you mean to write after "until the" before your post got partially cut-off?
Old 8 October 2014, 03:37 AM   #59
Comacho
"TRF" Member

sorry, I have no idea what I was saying at the time but i think it was along the lines of "until i could see that the case numbers matched up"... I've been having some really weird posting behavior.

My prior "knowledge" was confined to reading what I could form here and other places. and oogling over jewelry counters. Watchtime subscription etc. Never joined to post because I didn't think i had anything to offer the forum. With all the variations of a watch that's been made for over 50 years I swear I really didn't know what I had until I started digging.

perhaps I mis spoke when I called it "knowledge" as it was more general familiarity. albeit more than your average person on the street.
Old 8 October 2014, 03:49 AM   #60
Matt C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116660
Quote:
sorry, I have no idea what I was saying at the time but i think it was along the lines of "until i could see that the case numbers matched up"... I've been having some really weird posting behavior.

My prior "knowledge" was confined to reading what I could form here and other places. and oogling over jewelry counters. Watchtime subscription etc. Never joined to post because I didn't think i had anything to offer the forum. With all the variations of a watch that's been made for over 50 years I swear I really didn't know what I had until I started digging.

perhaps I mis spoke when I called it "knowledge" as it was more general familiarity. albeit more than your average person on the street.
Do not listen to all the haters, I really can't believe mods would join in this bashing. You got a good deal and elated to share your story with The Rolex Forum, and I though people would be happy to hear about your good fortune. I love this forum but times like this when users are viscous towards a new member is just unneeded and immature, makes me second guess why I am contributing to the forum that condones this type of behavior. Enjoy your new piece and hopefully it will bring you 20+ years of enjoyment as it did the original owner.
Closed Thread